Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IGG+Counting House+Golem combo  (Read 1934 times)

hobo386

• Salvager
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
IGG+Counting House+Golem combo
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:08:58 am »

Well, this combo isn't that strong, it's not too likely to pop up, I didn't play it perfectly, and it's not particularly powerful (~4 provinces at turn 17, though it quickly reaches 8 by turn 21-22, and I expect it could work great with colonies).
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/13/game-20111113-075434-6ecaacd1.html

IGG slows down your opponent and floods your deck with copper, counting house lets you draw 90% of your deck, and golem ensures you will get that counting house.  I paired counting house with cartographer for faster cycling, I would rank the pairings in this order: A strong attack>+buy>faster cycling.  I think a Margrave would be the ideal pair, though stuff like torturer, mountebanke, young witch, bridge, and woodcutter should all work great.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: IGG+Counting House+Golem combo
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:01:58 pm »

The attack value of this combo, combined with its resilience to attacks from the opponent, make the 17-18 turn baseline much better than it sounds.

It might be even better without cartographer, since with only one counting house you are guaranteed to draw all your coppers whenever you play golem. On the other hand, I definitely agree that an action card with a buy will be useful here, outweighing the downside that you draw fewer coppers. Margrave is nice, but maybe the draw isn't so important, so really anything at all that gives +buy, even woodcutter.

All that said, I worry about the case where the opponent also goes IGG, the IGG and curse piles run out lightning fast, and your opponent has 7 duchies by the time you can reliably play golem.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »

As nice as it sounds - you've got 32 cards in your deck at the early end of the game, and that without curses. How can you make sure that you reliably draw one of your Golems after one turn and reshuffle when you have 30-40 cards in your deck?
More Golems, yes, but they are not that easy to get.
Maybe throw in a Scheme?

biopower

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »

Maybe throw in a Scheme?

4-card-combos are so impossibly unlikely though.

hobo386

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:32:33 pm »

As nice as it sounds - you've got 32 cards in your deck at the early end of the game, and that without curses. How can you make sure that you reliably draw one of your Golems after one turn and reshuffle when you have 30-40 cards in your deck?
Maybe throw in a Scheme?
Scheme would probably help things out too, in terms of being able to pull it off every turn.  The reason that I did CH+Cartographer instead of CH + nothing is because it actually significantly increases the chances of getting a golem every time. With only one action card, you have to start with a fresh deck every turn. With a cycler, you don't draw the entire deck, so you can get to your other golems.  Cartographer specifically helped me set up my next turn.

As ehunt pointed out, the biggest concern with this strategy is an opponent rushing Duchies (or using a super fast, resilient strategy like JoAT).

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:25:35 am »

Maybe throw in a Scheme?
Scheme would probably help things out too, in terms of being able to pull it off every turn.  The reason that I did CH+Cartographer instead of CH + nothing is because it actually significantly increases the chances of getting a golem every time. With only one action card, you have to start with a fresh deck every turn. With a cycler, you don't draw the entire deck, so you can get to your other golems.  Cartographer specifically helped me set up my next turn.

Don't see it. At least not the argument with the fresh deck. The probability that a Golem is in the five card hand after the last of (Counting House/Cartographer) is even smaller than the probability that it is in the first 5 cards after reshuffle, because you shuffle the current Golem back into the deck. So now you of course have some scouting with the Cartographer, that gives you 9 cards instead of 5. So Navigator, Apothecary, Scout (...) would also work, with different efficiency.

If "finding 1 out of n in 5 cards" is better than "finding 1 out of (n-1) in 9 cards" depends on how many Golems you have, if you have only one it's obviously better, as you only have the one Golem you are playing at the moment, and you need the reshuffle to get it again. If you have two it should not matter much, finding 1 of 2 in 5 cards should be about as likely as finding 1 of 1 in 9 cards, as they can also collide, should depend a little bit on the number of total cards. But has also the problem that you don't get all of your Coppers. As soon as you have 3 Golem, adding a Cartographer should help.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.