Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 70  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Game Over, Mafia Wins!)  (Read 169287 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Day1)
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2013, 06:06:30 pm »

I think he was serious about deserving town points, but not about you being scummy for not giving them.

In fact, the opposite.

Well that makes no sense. You were not serious about being an IC but you were serious about me "discrediting the IC" which you were not serious about?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2013, 06:22:58 pm »

I think he was serious about deserving town points, but not about you being scummy for not giving them.

In fact, the opposite.

Well that makes no sense. You were not serious about being an IC but you were serious about me "discrediting the IC" which you were not serious about?

I don't think I'm actually an IC now--although I reserve the right to demand to be treated like one--but I do think you got a little too enthusiastic and desperate to communicate your point that I wasn't an IC.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2013, 06:26:28 pm »

In fact, the opposite.

I don't think I'm actually an IC now--although I reserve the right to demand to be treated like one--but I do think you got a little too enthusiastic and desperate to communicate your point that I wasn't an IC.

Well my tone was not entirely serious. Also I misread your post at first (missed the word "me") so my first post was just clarifying what you were saying.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2013, 07:16:52 pm »

Vote Count 1.3

Robz (2): Jimmmmmm, Teproc
manda (1): Voltaire
Jimmmmm (2): Robz, mcmc

Not Voting (8): Jorbles, faust, Morgrim, ashersky, manda, Walrus, 2.7

Day1 will end in 12 days (10+2 for Thanksgiving) on December 4 at 10 pm forum time

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2013, 01:42:44 am »

Sorry for my absence; based on the activity level in here though it looks to be a common state of affairs. I did want to get something down though.

I'm sure faust will be glad not to be mislynched for once! Well I haven't looked at the setup in great detail, but my first impression is that JOAT seems like the most useful power for scum.

Mini-wagons on Jimmmmm and Robz, eh? Well I like the one on Robz better. In fact vote: Robz. Even disregarding all this IC quasi-joking, from what I've seen scum!Robz is active and vibrant, while his town self is notoriously aloof. Despite the fact that he's been V/LA he's been one of the most frequent posters so far. Normally this would be a good thing. But for Robz it raises warning flags.

HOWEVER, I would also like to recall something that yuma said in Game of Thrones, to the effect that it is natural to want to scumhunt the active posters Day 1, because they're the ones who have actually out out material to analyze. We definitely should have LALL'ed more in that game. So let's get a few more posts down and see who's still L'ing.

I also walk away from the opening exchange with a slight scum read on ash. Talking about scum slips, talking about having a plan (without actually having one)--it all plays very nicely into ash's established meta without being very substantial. I would think that town!ash would actually have a plan and just jump right into it. Maybe someone better versed in asherskian iconography would care to comment.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2013, 01:46:25 am »

In fact vote: Robz. Even disregarding all this IC quasi-joking, from what I've seen scum!Robz is active and vibrant, while his town self is notoriously aloof. Despite the fact that he's been V/LA he's been one of the most frequent posters so far. Normally this would be a good thing. But for Robz it raises warning flags.

Lies. All lies.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2013, 01:57:44 am »

In fact, the opposite.

Start treating the actual IC like one before you demand any rights to be treated like one yourself!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2013, 02:03:06 am »

Now that most reservations regarding my question seem to be cleared, let me ask once again:

In your next post, please name the set of powers you would have picked as mafia.

If you don't know what this is for, well trust me on this. It won't hurt town at least. And contrary to ashersky, I actually have a plan.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2013, 02:11:55 am »

Now that most reservations regarding my question seem to be cleared, let me ask once again:

In your next post, please name the set of powers you would have picked as mafia.

If you don't know what this is for, well trust me on this. It won't hurt town at least. And contrary to ashersky, I actually have a plan.

I think this exercise is really quite useless. I'm not mafia, so I didn't give this question any thought, so now I'm like going over the setup trying to figure out what I would do if I was not my own role PM, and this seems pretty pointless. I mean I don't know that the people who ARE mafia are going to agree with me on what PRs are the right choices.

Okay, well I would not take BP; what's the point? There may not even be a Vig, and Vig's shoot town (mostly).
Role Cop seems overly risky and unnecessary, given that town could have a Tracker.
With JOAT, Strongman kill can backfire here if you shoot your Mafia Traitor.
I'm not convinced recruiting the Traitor is worthwhile.

Weird as it sounds, I might take just Daychat, or even nothing.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2013, 02:16:08 am »

You actually stole my plan.

Been busy today, will post more soon.  Hectic week for me.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2013, 02:18:00 am »

I think this exercise is really quite useless. I'm not mafia, so I didn't give this question any thought, so now I'm like going over the setup trying to figure out what I would do if I was not my own role PM, and this seems pretty pointless. I mean I don't know that the people who ARE mafia are going to agree with me on what PRs are the right choices.

Okay, well I would not take BP; what's the point? There may not even be a Vig, and Vig's shoot town (mostly).
Role Cop seems overly risky and unnecessary, given that town could have a Tracker.
With JOAT, Strongman kill can backfire here if you shoot your Mafia Traitor.
I'm not convinced recruiting the Traitor is worthwhile.

Weird as it sounds, I might take just Daychat, or even nothing.

Agree with most of this.  I think day chat is coolest.  I think all or none would be my play.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2013, 03:03:08 am »

Agree with most of this.  I think day chat is coolest.  I think all or none would be my play.
What do you mean with "all"? You can only take three out of five.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2013, 03:04:30 am »

What do you mean with "all"? You can only take three out of five.

Oh.  Then three.  Max or none, I think.  Because the expectation would be in between.  That was my point, that the most likely move is something between the minimum and maximum possible.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2013, 03:05:41 am »

Which kind of information is it that you think the mafia could use against us?

I suppose our PRs might be biased to think that mafia chose more powers since they themselves have a PR (even though town has 2 PRs anyway)...I actually don't think this could go wrong as long as people are careful.

So, ash, do you actually have a plan?

As mentioned, Faust stole it.

My actual idea was to have everyone rank all mafia powers in strength order and see what came out of that.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2013, 03:06:25 am »

Initially posted in the wrong thread:

I think if I was scum I would find a way to give each scum and Town power a rating, and pick the scum powers which have ratings above the average for Town powers. Sounds like a lot of work though.

vote: jimmmmm for hiding in plain sight.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2013, 03:06:41 am »

Seriously? Like, you didn't read this?

Please be aware that if you role one of the two mafia roles you have 24 hours to decide what sort of upgrades you would like so be ready for that

I absolutely thought about what roles I want to take if I get a mafia PM. Are you just trying to paint yourself extra-townie?

FoS: Robz

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2013, 03:08:50 am »

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of what Rob just did. Trying to get town points for not knowing the setup, and then acting all jokey about it when called out ? I think that's enough for a vote: Robz actually.

I quote tepid here, but am replying to the whole Robz ic thing.  This is classic town Robz.  Lazy, irreverent, doomed to fail.

This brings back memories of "just lynch newbies" Robz from MX.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2013, 03:10:58 am »

Please be aware that if you role one of the two mafia roles you have 24 hours to decide what sort of upgrades you would like so be ready for that

I absolutely thought about what roles I want to take if I get a mafia PM. Are you just trying to paint yourself extra-townie?

Okay. Well, I didn't, because I didn't get a mafia PM.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2013, 03:13:35 am »

"Didn't read the setup Robz" is also town!robz.  He knows this and could try to fake it, but I don't think he is.

Remember, "claim the wrong pr and get lynched on D1 as town anyway" is also a Robz that exists.  Other vets will back me up here, I think.

Scum!robz isn't this easy.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2013, 03:47:47 am »

Goodness, I don't know. *Checks roles* JoAT and Bulletproof seem weaker than the average Town role, but of course also provide Godfather in case there's a Cop. Daytalk is great but probably not worth giving Town an extra role. Recruiting the Traitor would be good, but of couse is an anti-Godfather. In the end I'd probably take the Role Cop and see what my partner thought about recruiting the Traitor.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2013, 03:49:03 am »

I think if I was scum I would find a way to give each scum and Town power a rating, and pick the scum powers which have ratings above the average for Town powers. Sounds like a lot of work though.

Meaning?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2013, 03:54:40 am »

"Didn't read the setup Robz" is also town!robz.  He knows this and could try to fake it, but I don't think he is.

Remember, "claim the wrong pr and get lynched on D1 as town anyway" is also a Robz that exists.  Other vets will back me up here, I think.

Scum!robz isn't this easy.

I understand your first two points. They are both Town Robz we've seen before. I could see scum Robz not reading the setup before starting discussions with his partner and being corrected, and realising that he would do the same in the game thread if he was Town.

I disagree with your last point, in that even if this is scum Robz, it's not "this easy". Like, we don't have a big slamdunk case and Day 1 lynches are never easy, and any big Day 1 wagon always dissipates at some point. Robz knows that and so do you.

I guess in the end I could see Robz' behaviour as coming from either Town or scum, so I'm pretty null, which probably means I should Unvote.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2013, 04:32:39 am »

Meaning?

Meaning your statement was you being truthful about what you did as scum and masked as an "if I were scum" statement.  You are pulling a purloined letter.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2013, 04:33:05 am »

Speaking of which, dibs on Edgar Allan Poe Mafia.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2013, 04:33:56 am »

Meaning?

Meaning your statement was you being truthful about what you did as scum and masked as an "if I were scum" statement.  You are pulling a purloined letter.

I wasn't pulling anything. This was in response to a question asking what we would do as scum.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 70  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.