Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Why I like Dominion  (Read 14137 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Why I like Dominion
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 04:59:58 pm »
+11

It's not that people think you implied your way is better than theirs, you outright said it was.

Nah, because I'm getting more out the game than you ever will.  Hurrah for ignorance, it truly is bliss!

No one is trying to fault you for enjoying the game your way. And while you made some good points which seem to be appreciated, the above quote is one example of where you crossed the line.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:01:16 pm by jonts26 »

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 05:13:16 pm »
+1

Jonts said everything that has to be said about this, just one more thing:
I didn't answer here before because this thread felt (and still feels) a lot like feeding a troll. Probably it's not even true, don't know, if not you  might think of on how you want to contribute to your next forum, but starting here first post ever with a provokant post, kind of mildly insulting most of the expected users or at least stating that you are in some sense 'better' than they; not reappearing for 32 hours (how interested could you have been in a serious discussion?); complaining that people have not be kind enough to you (which they, given parts of your posts, have been) ... I don't know, I'm sorry, if it smells like a troll ...

Not sure if this is helpfull, probably not, anyway...

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 05:20:05 pm »
+2

If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 05:26:30 pm »
+2

What I like most about playing Dominion?  I don't often work it out.  Call me stupid or blind or thick - whatever - but I very rarely look at a Kingdom layout and go "ah...if I get that card, and that card, then in 10 moves I'll have x cash and I'll be buying Provinces and winning".

I'm going to label you all three of those without reservation if you seem to think that even expert players can play Dominion with that amount of certainty.

EDIT: and of course posting on a forum dedicated to developing Dominion strategy that ignorance is a better way to play the game will elicit a negative response. You would have to be incredibly foolish to think otherwise. We've sunk thousands of hours into playing and analyzing the game, deriving an incredible amount of fun along the way. Who are you to say otherwise?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:31:38 pm by dondon151 »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 05:31:56 pm »
+4

You'd best start believing in troll threads... you're posting in one.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 06:03:21 pm »
+1

To be honest I did not expect a thread titled "Why I Like Dominion" to have so many negative comments.  :-\

Especially since this is also why I like Dominion:

What I like most about playing Dominion? ... For me, every game really is different, every game really is something new as I continue to discover all the intricacies, twists, turns and curve balls the cards can bring

....even the final reveal is a surprise for me.

I get a thrill from a little uncertainty in points, too. This is why I dislike the point counter (unless I'm watching TV). 

I have Dominion Basic, Intrigue, and Prosperity. Enough cards, variety and mixes to last me a lifetime.

With some of my friends we actually limit the game to Dominion, Intrigue, and Prosperity (even on Goko and even though I own more sets), because that is enough cards, variety, and mixes to last a lifetime of casual Dominion playing and minimizes the amount of time reading/learning new cards.

So, I get it -- even if the tone of the opening post is off.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »

Base + Intrigue + Prosperity is a good mix.  Allows for a good variety of games without some of the more complicated cards. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 07:12:46 pm »
+12

Something else that should be pointed out is that probably most of the people posting in this thread are familiar both with the way that the OP plays Dominion, and with playing Dominion at the much more competitive level, whereas the OP has only tried playing it his way.  Granted, I think that Dominion is a very fun casual game, but as someone who has played it extensively casually and then later played it competitively, I feel like it would be fair for me to say that I enjoy competitive Dominion more than casual Dominion.  The OP asserts that casual Dominion is better without having tried competitive Dominion.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying casual Dominion is a lot of fun - I strongly agree with this statement, and if you had left it at that, I think this thread would have been much more positive and not turn into what it did.  The trouble is that you claimed that it's actually better than competitive Dominion, which you haven't tried.  You make assumptions about competitive Dominion that just aren't true ("seeing a win" just doesn't happen, ever, like even two turns ahead).  It would be like if I claimed to a bunch of chefs that cheese pizza is objectively better than pepperoni pizza, when I only have a vague conception of what pepperoni is, and have never tasted it.  You have to understand why some of the posters here were frustrated with your post.

I'm getting more out the game than you ever will.

This may be what offended people the most.  Even if casual Dominion is better than competitive Dominion, I think you are still wrong in asserting that you have gotten more out of the game than those who play it competitively.  That's because most competitive players started out by playing Dominion casually for as long as they possibly could, and then naturally just progressed to a competitive level.  I don't think it's possible to stay at a casual level forever, because whether you try to or not, you will naturally start learning how different cards and combinations play out and generally how to play the game well.  When you get to that point, you can either face the fact you are now a competitive Dominion player, and start diving deeper into it; or you can stop playing Dominion altogether.  Many of the people who are posting on these forums are the people who got the maximum possible amount of fun out of casual Dominion, and then transitioned to getting fun out of competitive Dominion.  To say that you get more out of Dominion than us is arrogant and short-sighted.

So, if you are still reading this thread, then you should keep playing Dominion the way that you play it.  There's nothing wrong with that, and if that's how you have fun, then no one's going to stop you.  If you eventually decide that you cannot play a game of Dominion at the casual level anymore (that you have become "good" enough at the game that you automatically play at a competitive level, which will happen eventually if you play long enough), then these forums exist to help accelerate the rate at which your skill level grows.  And if you don't want help from the forums, you don't have to read them; there are some posters here that I know have specifically stated that they don't like to read articles on new cards because they would rather learn the cards themselves.  That is a totally valid way to learn the game, and if that's fun for you, then by all means, continue playing like that.

I don't think anyone's responses were more condescending of you than your post was of us, so I don't think there's any need for you to be offended.  I do hope, though, that you don't become discouraged from posting on forums in general, just because of the responses you got to this thread.  Instead, I think the take away from that should be that you need to be more careful with how you word the things that you post.

FriendofCapVimes

• Pawn
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 08:07:07 pm »
+10

Thank you, scott_pilgrim, for a very erudite, well-put reply.  I concede all points made.  My apologies to all.  as scott_pilgrim points out, I shall be more careful in future.  it is too easy to offend, not something I actually wanted to do.  I'm not a "troll" I use a computer all day every day at work so avoid it sometimes at home - hence the delay.  I never meant to plant a controversial bomb and walk away.  I do feel I - just me - do get an awful lot out of the game because I play the way I do.  It's a very personal thing and I see that now from many of the responses in this forum. :-[

Sincere respect to one and all.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 08:27:24 pm »

I'm glad this turned out for the best :) Unlike the min set contest which has turned into a bunch of people whining that they aren't popular.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 08:29:03 pm »
+8

I did not get troll vibes off the OP, but I feel compelled to highlight another friend of Captain Vimes:

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 08:41:18 pm »

I don't know what this is...

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 08:42:09 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure this is a troll.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 08:44:52 pm »

Looks more like a stone giant or something.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 09:21:09 pm »
+2

I don't know what this is...

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Detritus

That is Detritus the Troll, carrying the Piecemaker... and where do I buy that, because I want one!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:00 pm »

Ah. I only ever read "Interesting Times," so I don't know all the characters.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 12:15:54 am »
+3

I don't get it. Everyone is talking about how this thread generated a lot of negativity, but I don't see much negativity here. Most posters were actually abnormally positive. I mostly see a derailed topic that discussed perfect shuffle luck and combos and stuff here.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 01:22:07 pm »
+1

I know what I got out of Dominion

A great game plus 11 blue bordered identical coasters
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 01:29:37 pm »
+1

I was thinking: probably half of the reason I like dominion is this forum.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »
+1

I'd only say ten of those are identical. One of them has that extra blue stuff on the back. Great for putting your hot beverage down on while reading through this forum.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 05:52:35 pm »
+4

I'd only say ten of those are identical. One of them has that extra blue stuff on the back. Great for putting your hot beverage down on while reading through this forum.

When they are all covered in tea they look very much alike!

I tell you what though they do a great job of protecting my table from tea stain attacks!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:48 pm »
+1

I tell you what though they do a great job of protecting my table from tea stain attacks!
Tea Stain
Action-Attack
$5

+3 Cards
Each other player may reveal a blue bordered card from their hand and place it facedown in front of them. Each other player that doesn't must discard down to 3 cards and must go wash up the table.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 11:14:40 pm »
+3

+1 for drinking tea instead of coffee.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 03:49:49 am »

Why not in addition to coffee?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:21 pm »
+2

Of course, what sort of Godless Heathen do you take me for!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 2.201 seconds with 20 queries.