Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Halloween fan cards  (Read 15775 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween fan cards
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 06:27:28 pm »

Would it help if the corpse tokens were per coin cost and the cost of Frankenstein's Monster were tweaked accordingly? Originally, the idea was that it *must* be more than one corpse...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2013, 07:12:33 pm »

Explanation: The monster looked like it took too long to set up. Igor already costs 6, so I threw in +1 buy to help get garbage actions, and lowered the corpse cost of the monster to 2. This way, you won't have trouble buying a monster as well as spending coins in a dilemma. Igor might have already been really strong even if you weren't trying to buy a monster, and the + buy to sweeten the deal is a bit much maybe. Still, a +buy might not be the end of the world.

Igor (3.0 to go with Frankenstein Monster 3.0. I skipped 2.0 so they'd match)
Action
Cost: 6

+2 cards
+1 action
+1 buy
Discard or trash a card from your hand. If you trashed an Action card in this way, gain a Corpse token.

--------------------------------------

Setup: Add Frankenstein's Monster to the sideboard

=======================================

Frankenstein's Monster (3.0)
Action-Attack
Cost: 0*; 2 corpse tokens.

+3 cards
Each player (including you) gains a curse. You may gain a Ruins**. If you did, +1 card and trash a card from your hand.
You must have Igor in play when you buy this card.

* - This card cannot be bought with coins or gained by other cards. Its coin cost is treated as 0 for other purposes.
** - If you do not own Dark Ages, make this a Curse instead, and play the game with 10 additional curses in the Supply.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:14:03 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2013, 07:57:10 pm »

Ok, you asked for it... Sexy Scout:

(I think this was described on Page 2)

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2013, 08:02:23 pm »

Actually, the funny thing is that multiple Sexy Scouts are self-defeating... Almost as much as the vanilla Scout. But unlike vanilla Scout, having just one Sexy Scout would probably help more games than not.

Of course, vanilla Scout would love to help you try to find your Sexy Scout...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:03:39 pm by Minotaur »

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2013, 11:37:38 pm »
+1

Ghost
$5 Action
Choose a card your opponent played last turn.  This card is that until this leaves play.
A man on a mission.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2013, 11:42:03 pm »

Ghost
$5 Action
Choose a card your opponent played last turn.  This card is that until this leaves play.

Could be especially useful on Tournament boards. Maybe it should be restricted to cloning Actions, though, like Band of Misfits?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2013, 11:42:22 pm »

Ghost
$5 Action

Can it be played as a treasure during your buy phase? I'm 90% sure not because of the Action type, but iirc, the wording on Band of Misfits, for example, would say Action card.

$5 is probably a bit high for such an unreliable card, but thematically, the action itself makes a lot of sense. Then again, it could be very reliable depending on the board and the player to your right's strategy.

Maybe it could mimic cards in the trash instead? It's probably only worth 4 if you make it mimic the opponent to your right, in my opinion.

My thinking:
Player to your right's last turn --> Doppleganger
In the trash --> Ghost
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:43:47 pm by Minotaur »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2013, 11:49:17 pm »

$5 is probably a bit high for such an unreliable card

I'm not sure, is it? Compare Smugglers, which is the same cost as Workshop. On the other hand, there aren't very many $6+ Actions, so if this is restricted to copying Actions then most of the time it's going to be copying a $5 that you could have bought instead of this anyway… so maybe $4 would be better after all, I dunno.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2013, 12:04:58 am »

$5 is probably a bit high for such an unreliable card

I'm not sure, is it? Compare Smugglers, which is the same cost as Workshop. On the other hand, there aren't very many $6+ Actions, so if this is restricted to copying Actions then most of the time it's going to be copying a $5 that you could have bought instead of this anyway… so maybe $4 would be better after all, I dunno.

At $5, it might be worth it, but often you want some villages and a few copies of a particular $5 card anyway. This might be strong if it's copying Nobles or something, but if there's a strong enough engine that the player to your right can build, you could just as easily build it yourself and probably with some cheaper parts.

At $4, this could be a pretty strong card in a lot of situations. Getting a bargain on what you'll probably play as a $5 most of the time is pretty cool, I guess. Band of Misfits is probably worth $5 because it's pretty likely to give you free choice of several useful $2-$4 cards, while this card probably won't give you nearly as broad of a selection *and* it gives your opponent a little more control over what you can do.

idk, it's a tough call. My gut still says $4. Powerful cards are fun, and $4 seems to get the short end of the stick a lot.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2013, 01:44:14 am »
+2

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 05:46:54 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2013, 01:45:50 am »

ok, my spoiler-fu is a bit off. I highlighted it and clicked the "spoiler" button and it's not spoilerd. I think I'm using the wrong tech for images? This works for text.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:19:18 am by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2013, 02:17:51 am »

Ha ha ha, Bat + Zombie opener on a Ghost board! X-D

This is almost as fun as real Dominion!

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2013, 04:33:43 am »

Crap. Bat is probably way too good if you spam it. It should make you discard the top card first, like Sea Hag. X-P

EDIT: Fixed this issue with a handsize clause. Duh. X-P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:31:15 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »

Whoops, when you buy Ghost, you trash an Action from your hand... and therefore gain a Ghost. I didn't intend for that to happen. I'll have to edit that one too. :(

P.S. - This would involve NSFW art, almost surely...

Sexy Torturer
Action-Attack-Victory
Cost: 6
+2 coins
Each other player chooses to either discard a card or gain a Curse in hand
2 VP

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2013, 05:51:55 pm »

Thanks to a color printer and some card sleeves, I've actually tested these. The most recent version is up in place of the previous image file.

Igor: At the moment, I'm considering changing Igor a little. I like him as he is now, but it takes too long to set up a Frankenstein's Monster. It's not that hard to do, but it often happens after the Curse pile is empty, and in any case, he just feels late to the party in general.

I'm considering making Igor cost 5 and changing from +2 cards to +1 card. I think the handsize-neutral optional trasher is cool and all and should probably cost 7, but it just isn't helping the Corpse Token mechanic. Thematically, I even like how Igor is this totally obedient servant who hardly ever does anything against your wishes. I'll probably test it sometime.

Vampire: Kind of fun, but he can really steal the show in combination with some of these other cards. He totally trivializes the Werewolf buy-in penalty. Poor Mummy, only gets used as Zombie fodder, if at all, on Vampire boards.

Werewolf: Would be OP without the Silver bane. With the Silver bane, this card is just swingy as hell. A lot of Dominion cards are, but whatever.

Ghost: Originally, this card cost 4 and did not return itself to the supply. When you trash Zombies with Vampire to gain Ghosts and VP all day, though, you rack up a lot of Ghost and the cantrip mini-Torturer attack is kind of a bit much. When it costs 2 and returns itself to the supply, it makes it feel ephemeral, *and* makes buying it for the trash effect (moneylender, used-up curser, etc) a fair trade with a little one-time bonus thrown in.

Zombie: This card is really tricky. I can't ever figure out the right game tempo for this card. Sometimes you can ignore the Zombies and power through VP, and other times, a three-pile ending with Zombies, a 2-cost action, and another 2 pile is dominant. Sometimes you just want to tuck a Zombie away here and there for the +1 VP, but then you need a careful balance between disposable actions, Zombies, and your real big players; treasures + zombies + junk actions + trashing might be decent on some boards, but it's really, really tricky.

Zombies were inspired by Rats, but I made a few changes to fit Zombie lore a little better (they only "infect" actions, they prioritize "eating" Actions, they decay if they don't have things to trash, killing them gets you VP.)

Sexy Scout: Harem/Scout mashup. A really stupid card that I'm a lot more likely to buy than regular Scout, at the very least. They're terminal and anti-synergize with themselves, so they don't spam well. Can be a nice pickup on the shuffle where you start to green hard.

Bat: 3 cost for a weak cantrip attack! Sounds fair! But it sucked. It just stopped you from buying enough Silver, and even with a bunch of them, they usually don't Wishing Well themselves that often. At a cost of 2, it's a solid card to soak up your spare buys, and you really can build an engine of them if you really want to try it that badly. In this case, Vampire-Bats could actually kind of work, maybe...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:09:18 pm by Minotaur »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2013, 07:43:06 pm »

Frankenstein's Monster should have the "Looter" type.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2013, 08:02:32 pm »

Frankenstein's Monster should have the "Looter" type.

Thanks, if I give the image another pass I'll try to remember to do that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 20 queries.