Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possible Combo: Death Cart/Other Looter  (Read 5414 times)

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
Possible Combo: Death Cart/Other Looter
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:48:58 am »

I spotted this combo while playing on Goko yesterday. The idea is that you use Marauder/Cultist to empty the ruins pile, then buy Death Cart, not gaining any ruins because the pile is empty. The game I played with was with Marauder, but I think it will work better Cultist. A similar counter is using cursing attacks to counter Embargo.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Combo: Death Cart/Other Looter
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:37:36 pm »

I spotted this combo while playing on Goko yesterday. The idea is that you use Marauder/Cultist to empty the ruins pile, then buy Death Cart, not gaining any ruins because the pile is empty. The game I played with was with Marauder, but I think it will work better Cultist. A similar counter is using cursing attacks to counter Embargo.

Not really a combo, nor a counter.  If there is junking in the form of Marauder/Cultist, it is probably something you want to pick up.  It makes no sense that you would go to all the trouble of emptying the Ruins with Marauder/Cultist just so you could get Death Cart without Ruins.  That's far too much work for too little reward.  In fact, the Ruins that come with Death Cart are not really that bad because they are fodder for the DC itself.  The presence of DC might actually be a reason to skip Marauder/Cultist, because the opponent could just feed them to DC.  You might say that DC is a counter to the other Looters though.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 03:28:32 pm »

Not really a combo, nor a counter.  If there is junking in the form of Marauder/Cultist, it is probably something you want to pick up.  It makes no sense that you would go to all the trouble of emptying the Ruins with Marauder/Cultist just so you could get Death Cart without Ruins.  That's far too much work for too little reward.  In fact, the Ruins that come with Death Cart are not really that bad because they are fodder for the DC itself.  The presence of DC might actually be a reason to skip Marauder/Cultist, because the opponent could just feed them to DC.  You might say that DC is a counter to the other Looters though.

How effective is Death Cart for countering looters?   It doesn't seem like it would be unless you have a way to increase your hand size, otherwise you have to rely on matching up your Death Cart with your junk, which gets less and less likely as you get junked more and more.  Though maybe with a few Death Carts and a bunch of ruins you have a better chance.  But it seems like you would get bogged down once Cultist goes off a couple of times without some other kind of support. 

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:37 pm »

If your key price point is $5 or less (Duke, Gardens, Silk Road) loading up on DCs and ignoring ruins may be reasonable. For gardens you are probably better off with keeping the ruins and buying a better enabler, but for Silk Road and especially Duke, DC may be nice.

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:30 pm »
+1

Nothing really to say about this topic... i just love ur signature text... :D
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 12:46:31 pm »
+1

The part he left out is that he top-decked the Tunnel, discarded the Fortress and trashed the Gold.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:49:43 pm »
+1

The part he left out is that he top-decked the Tunnel, discarded the Fortress and trashed the Gold.

Because in the next five four cards was a Forager that needed to be powered up.  Then his opponent plays a Sea Hag and discards the Tunnel, which he reveals for a Gold.  He uses the Forager to trash the Curse.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:41:37 pm »

Because in the next five four cards was a Forager that needed to be powered up.  Then his opponent plays a Sea Hag and discards the Tunnel, which he reveals for a Gold.  He uses the Forager to trash the Curse.

Not possible.  If he top-decked the Tunnel, he's going to draw that Tunnel before his opponent's turn.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 01:51:15 pm »
+3

Not if he topdecks 5 things with scheme.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 03:18:05 pm »
+9

At some point, these things stop being edge-cases and start being vertex-cases.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:38 pm »
+2

Not if he topdecks 5 things with scheme.

Yeah, that was implied...

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:42 am »
+1

I m really shocked by all this conversation i caused to happen, which made laugh with my heart!!! :D :D :D
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.355 seconds with 21 queries.