Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (Game over, Ice Mafia win!)  (Read 138926 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (Full! Starts Monday!)
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2013, 08:07:29 pm »

Post Count!

ashersky - 5

Everyone else - 0

LALL.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIII: Toy Story Mafia (GAME IS ON DAY 1 START!!)
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2013, 08:19:12 pm »

FOS everyone in the game but me.  This is lame.  Not posting and lurking is unhelpful.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:17 pm »

FOS everyone in the game but me.  This is lame.  Not posting and lurking is unhelpful.

Agreed... We should vote someone that hasn't voted yet together to pressure vote. Who do you want to vote for?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2013, 08:22:37 pm »

Oh, 8 freaking VTs?  Yeesh.

Doctor can claim, force both teams to decide who shoots him, either both or neither.  Lives forever?

I thought about this and I think it has potential. Risky potential, but potential.

What did you do in a blitz game a while ago where you had 3 people claim the same PR. Would something like that work? I can't remember, I think UoS was there...

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »

Two new players! 2.71828 & NHSederholm

Welcome to you both. Would you two mind telling us a bit about yourselves. Anything you think might be relevant, but specifically where you hail from (mostly so we can know when you would be most active posting wise) and what experience you both have in playing mafia, in real life or via forum.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2013, 08:28:57 pm »

And I'll use this opportunity to remind (or inform those who don't know) that this is the end of my 7 off week, meaning that starting tomorrow I will be working a lot for 7 days, meaning much limited access until the start of my next off week. Also, I have a newborn, so I have and will freely use a "newborn pass" when ever is convenient for me to do so those responsibilities affect the amount of time I can put into the game.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2013, 08:32:19 pm »

Doctor can claim, force both teams to decide who shoots him, either both or neither.  Lives forever?

I thought about this and I think it has potential. Risky potential, but potential.

What did you do in a blitz game a while ago where you had 3 people claim the same PR. Would something like that work? I can't remember, I think UoS was there...
no, the 3 people claim thing is bad. You can't WIFOM scum. Best case they ignore it and nothing happens. Worst case they get a clue to who the doctor is.

having the doc claim is also bad. It doesn't accomplish anything. Yes, the doctor becomes IC. The point of ICs is that we can't mislynch them. Well, we can't lynch the doctor anyway because if we try to they will claim. Yes, ICs help lead town too, but this is a minimal advantage.

is Gveoniz new too? I know he's been around this forum, but has he played mafia before?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2013, 08:42:32 pm »

Oh, ashersky. Sweet, wonderful ashersky. How I have missed you. Seriously.

Whatever your ridiculous plan is, I support it.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2013, 08:43:05 pm »

Or condemn it or whatever. The point is that you make one!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2013, 08:55:58 pm »

Doctor should not claim until D2. IC is useless D1.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »

I come from the USA.  East coast
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:09 pm »

No online mafia experience
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:25 pm »

I have played a few games IRL

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2013, 09:03:12 pm »

I don't know about that, I'm beginning to think ICs are just incredibly strong always. I know from my dealings as scum in M31 and M-(Twisted was IC) that I was getting pretty sick of them.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2013, 09:03:17 pm »

Post Count!

ashersky - 5

Everyone else - 0

LALL.

I needed to get my post count up

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2013, 09:13:30 pm »

is Gveoniz new too? I know he's been around this forum, but has he played mafia before?

He played in NM4 hosted by sudgy.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:48 pm »

no, the 3 people claim thing is bad. You can't WIFOM scum. Best case they ignore it and nothing happens. Worst case they get a clue to who the doctor is.

having the doc claim is also bad. It doesn't accomplish anything. Yes, the doctor becomes IC. The point of ICs is that we can't mislynch them. Well, we can't lynch the doctor anyway because if we try to they will claim. Yes, ICs help lead town too, but this is a minimal advantage.

Fair enough. It is a well designed setup it appears that almost fully relies on scum hunting as opposed to PR claiming and manipulation. Nothing wrong with that...

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:55 pm »

Do you mind telling me what IC stands for?  I looked here but didn't see it.  (on the first page at least).  I get everything else, and through context I can get the general idea of what you mean by IC, but still it is nice to know explicitly. 

Please continue use acronyms for different things- I need to learn them.  If I ask what they are, that simply means I didn't find it one the mafia lingo thread or figure it out exactly myself.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2013, 09:18:16 pm »

Innocent child - someone that the moderator confirms as town...

So in this situation when someone claims doctor, everyone will know that person is town, unless there is a counterclaim (done by scum perhaps in a desperate situation)... thus they become an innocent child--or a person free of suspicion.

Feel free to ask more questions!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2013, 09:20:59 pm »

a more comprehensive list can be found here.

We don't use some of those abbreviations... and that one has the wrong meaning for IC--inexperience challenged

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:39 pm »

Do you mind telling me what IC stands for?  I looked here but didn't see it.  (on the first page at least).  I get everything else, and through context I can get the general idea of what you mean by IC, but still it is nice to know explicitly. 
It stands for Innocent Child. Innocent Child is the role of a player who the mod confirms to be town aligned at the start of the game. While the player doesn't literally become and Innocent Child, the terms is used to refer to anyone who we know to be town for sure. In this case, if the doctor claims we know they are town because if they weren't town the real doctor would contradict them.

...Ninja'ed

I don't really get this either. I agree the doc shouldn't claim today, but why is it better tommorow?

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »

a more comprehensive list can be found here.

We don't use some of those abbreviations... and that one has the wrong meaning for IC--inexperience challenged
Thanks.  I will keep this wiki in mind throughout this game as I develop further questions.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2013, 09:25:04 pm »

So, we're in a better spot than normal, given we're hunting a known 4 scum.  As town, we don't care if we hit fire or ice scum, so to me, I'm looking for 4 scummy players on D1.

In future days, if we get scum flips, we can think about who's possible partners, etc. but I really think scumhunting on D1 in this game means finding one of four bad guys, and we don't care about partners.  That's to say, I think seeing interactions between players isn't a way to catch the bad guys.

I would compare this D1 to Mean Girls D1, actually.  You had three scum there who were amazing and brilliant, but didn't even know who their partners were.  I would say scumhunt as you would there, with that knowledge.

NHSederholm

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2013, 09:30:47 pm »

Hey all! I hail from the Rocky Mountains - Utah, to be exact. I have little to no mafia experience, so go easy on me. :)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2013, 09:31:52 pm »

I absolutely disagree that claiming is 100% bad.  If Galz were here, we'd be arguing about it already.

Claiming the right information at the right time has shown again and again to be a phenomenal move for town.  And the right time is not always "later" or "sensible."

Galzria's Auror claim in HP Mafia is the paragon of this point.  My 1-shot doc claim + N1 death is another good example.

I believe a doctor claim right away is awesome sauce, and is officially the D1 ashersky plan.

Why?  Glad you asked...

1)  It reduces the lynch pool.  Each town player is looking for 4/12 bad guys today.  Already nice odds.  Each town player that isn't the doctor gets to instead look at 4/11 players, which is better.  The doctor gains nothing and is still looking at 4/12, but the overall chances have gone up.
2)  If we have multiple doctor claims, we catch scum.
3)  There is WIFOM for the night kill, no matter what scum!liopoil says.  It is impossible for either team to know if the other will shoot the doc.  They cancel each others' kills.  I'd give good odds that the Doctor lives, and possibly saves someone else.
4)  The doctor is a weak PR here.  Doctors are weak anyway, and no difference here.  Let's go worst case: VT lynch today.  We go into N1 with 2 kills, each of which have 10 possible kill targets.  The doctor needs to choose 1/11 to protect.  He has two chances to protect, though.  I don't know how to include the odd possibility of both scum teams and doctor all targeting the same person and resulting in a death.  No matter what, the doctor can only stop one kill anyway.

So, I think the doctor claiming works well.

vote: liopoil

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60  All

Page created in 1.963 seconds with 20 queries.