Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: What if the Base Set was released last?  (Read 17083 times)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
Re: What if the Base Set was released last?
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 11:06:09 am »

Journeyman and others are better than Smithy
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 11:12:42 am »

Donald would have had more time to review and change cards, and i'm certain neither Woodcutter nor Thief would look like they look. I guess poor Chancellor wouldn't be there at all.

But he is, hooray! :D

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 02:10:01 pm »
+1

Donald would have had more time to review and change cards, and i'm certain neither Woodcutter nor Thief would look like they look.
I'm certain Woodcutter would.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 05:36:48 pm »
+5

Donald would have had more time to review and change cards, and i'm certain neither Woodcutter nor Thief would look like they look.
I'm certain Woodcutter wood.

FIFY.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 06:29:56 am »

Maybe we would have the +buy of woodcutter and the discard deck of chancellor in a single card, this idea has been already proposed and I really like it. The interesting thing is that both effects synergize : you buy more cards and that go straight in your draw deck.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2013, 11:10:32 am »

I'm certain Woodcutter wood.

FIFY.
I thought explaining jokes was out of fashion already...
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2013, 11:22:54 am »
+4

Imagine if the base set was released after all the other sets, with a theme like "no frills" and a name like Dominion: Frugality.

What cards would you have chosen for previews, and what would you have said about them?

Would it have been the worst expansion?

Absolutely the worst. I suspect that Dominion would actually be a more interesting game if you played it with only the expansions.

Most expansions have a few miscalibrated cards, but at least a third of the base set is either overpowered or overpriced, both relative to the other expansions and even relative to the base treasures. Releasing those cards was understandable at the time, but releasing them now would just be negligent.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2013, 12:05:37 pm »

Absolutely the worst.
Agree.

There are some fun cards in there, but if I had to pick one box to remove from dominion that would hurt the game least, I would certainly pick the base.

Except that it might make the game much less likely to attract up new players.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2013, 12:24:59 pm »

Imagine if the base set was released after all the other sets, with a theme like "no frills" and a name like Dominion: Frugality.

What cards would you have chosen for previews, and what would you have said about them?

Would it have been the worst expansion?

Absolutely the worst. I suspect that Dominion would actually be a more interesting game if you played it with only the expansions.

Most expansions have a few miscalibrated cards, but at least a third of the base set is either overpowered or overpriced, both relative to the other expansions and even relative to the base treasures. Releasing those cards was understandable at the time, but releasing them now would just be negligent.

Throne Room, Library, and Gardens are some of my favorite cards. I'd hate to not have them.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 04:55:40 pm »

When I played first with Base and Intrigue only, Remodel and Torturer were my favourite cards (although Torturer needed villages to work efficiently ; I disliked Witch for this reason).
When I discovered the other sets... I looked as Remodel as something poor, and Torturer was still one of my favourites. I also understood how Chapel could get strong with all those possibilites of engines, even though I quickly understood trashing was important and Chapel could change the game (beware of not trashing too much of your coppers ^^) but since Intrigue also had Masquerade, Stewart and Trading post, it wasn't blitzing.
And today, Torturer is still my favourite attack.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2013, 05:24:44 pm »

Another hypothetical could be if the sets were released from last to first. So Guilds, then Dark Ages, then ending with Base.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2013, 06:18:23 pm »
+2

Another hypothetical could be if the sets were released from last to first. So Guilds, then Dark Ages, then ending with Base.
The game would be pretty stupid until the base cards would be released after Dark Ages.

On a more serious note, at least Rebuild would have been initially considered weaker than it actually is, since about half of the games would have Shelters.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.