Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Smash Bros. 4  (Read 14314 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
Smash Bros. 4
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:14:42 pm »

Looks like there's not already a topic on this.

Sonic was just announced today.  What are people's thoughts on the characters that have been announced so far?  What characters are people hoping/expecting to see?  Are there a lot of Smash Bros. players here?

Personally I'm really hoping for King K. Rool.  I am a huge Donkey Kong Country fan and I just feel like K. Rool would be such an awesome character to play as.  Like, you would never hit with any attacks ever because he would be absurdly slow, but then you manage to land one attack and just instantly win the match because you're K. Rool.  But I'm not really sure his chances of getting in are that great.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros. 4
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:32:58 pm »

Sonic was in the last game! So this is just confirming his reappearance...?

I know that Nintendo has confirmed some new players: Mega Man and the Wii Fitness trainer. And maybe someone else I can't think of.

K. Rool would be cool. His costumes should be call backs to his appearances in the other DK Country games.

Personally, I would like more Zelda characters (surprise, surprise). Skull Kid/Majora's Mask would probably excite me the most.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:09 pm »

I know that Nintendo has confirmed some new players: Mega Man and the Wii Fitness trainer. And maybe someone else I can't think of.

A character from Animal Crossing, whose name I can't remember at the moment. Wii Fitness Trainer looks pretty cool, totally an out-of-left-field choice, but I am really excited about it.

My hope-against-hope character would be someone from the Golden Sun games. This seems totally unlikely unless they announce a new sequel within the next few months, but there is a ton of potential there.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:38:57 pm »

K.Rool is unlikely considering that Rare is owned by Microsoft now. Which is why Donkey Kong Country Returns didn't have any of the Kremlings.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:48:27 pm »

Sorry, I meant to post the link to confirmed characters: http://www.smashbros.com/us/.  So far the new characters that have been revealed are Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager from Animal Crossing.

K.Rool is unlikely considering that Rare is owned by Microsoft now. Which is why Donkey Kong Country Returns didn't have any of the Kremlings.
Yeah, this is why I'm pessimistic about his chances.  And there's a new DKC game coming out that will probably feature a non-K. Rool main villain.  I can still hope though.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:54:06 pm »

Wii Fitness Trainer surprised me. Like "Is the website even legit" surprised. But I guess it might work. Do some Yoga pose in the opponent's face or something.

My favorite SSBB character is Pit, so I hope he returns. Wish-wise, I'm not really hoping for any new characters besides some different Pokemon (anything to replace Jigglypuff).

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:41:35 am »

Golden Sun characters, K. Rool, and Toon Ganandorf.  He would be a lot different than normal Ganandorf, as he's way faster.  I think he could be an interesting character.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:47:28 am »

I've been a smash fan ever since Melee. The Official site lists all of the confirmed re-appearing characters as well as all of the announced newcomers, which Scott linked to. It's possible a few old characters will be cut - most likely being Lucario and Ike I would say (Lucario is likely to get replaced with a Gen 6 or maybe Gen 5 representative, while Ike is likely to get replaced by Chrom).

SSBU, along with FExSMT, Pikmin 3, the next Zelda and Monolith Soft's X are the games most likely to make me buy a Wii U at some point in the next 12 months. Smash is just one of those games, you know? I've ended up playing it with dozens of random people, and it's usually a great laugh.

(Edit: Added a few links, since I suspect a number of people won't know many of the things I'm referencing)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:50:35 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:47 am »

Pikmin 3 was great.  I think I liked the second one better, but the third was a better-made game.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 01:19:11 am »
+1

Smash Bros. is indeed the best. One of my favorite series since N64 era. Probably also the reason why I will eventually obtain a Wii U.
f.ds Smash Bros. Tournament 2014

For some reason, I made hundreds and hundreds of custom levels in Brawl, so I'm hoping they expand on that functionality. One time, one of my college housemates deleted many of my levels, because he didn't like them or found them unplayable. When I discovered that he had done this, I took all of his furniture outside to the backyard, and then painted "I LIKED IT BETTER THIS WAY" in big black lettering on his wall. Honestly I know that was rather disproportionate retaliation and a jerk move lol. But I was enraged and intoxicated at the time. And it's still a good story.

They should totally add Dr. Robotnik, that would be awesome. And they should totally NOT call him Dr. Eggman, because that sounds so stupid and I liked it better the way it was. I liked it better when it was Princess Toadstool too, not Princess Peach. Hmmph.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:11 am »

I played Brawl competitively and attended over a dozen tournaments all around the state.  In the living room I'm sure I've played way too many hours of the game.

I'm hoping Skull Kid doesn't happen, because I feel like he wouldn't live up to my high expectations. 

I want Toon Zelda very badly.  I really like the way her character was developed in Spirit Tracks.  And I enjoy her playstyle in Brawl, but unfortunately she is one of the worst characters in Brawl and Melee.  I'd like it if they doubled her chances at being playable.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 02:13:45 am »

Wish-wise, I'm not really hoping for any new characters besides some different Pokemon (anything to replace Jigglypuff).

Your odds have never been worse, I'm afraid, because Pokemon X and Y reworks Jigglypuff's move set and gives her a new type.  I also am not satisfied with her use of the slot.  She was a half joke character from 64 that.. kinda... stuck around..

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 03:17:09 am »

I played Brawl competitively and attended over a dozen tournaments all around the state.  In the living room I'm sure I've played way too many hours of the game.

I'm hoping Skull Kid doesn't happen, because I feel like he wouldn't live up to my high expectations. 

I want Toon Zelda very badly.  I really like the way her character was developed in Spirit Tracks.  And I enjoy her playstyle in Brawl, but unfortunately she is one of the worst characters in Brawl and Melee.  I'd like it if they doubled her chances at being playable.

Zelda was my main character in both Melee and Brawl. She is so much better in Brawl, until you realize she's still not good compared to everyone else. And Din's Fire only catches everybody for so long.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 03:44:33 am »
+1

Zelda was my main character in both Melee and Brawl. She is so much better in Brawl, until you realize she's still not good compared to everyone else. And Din's Fire only catches everybody for so long.
She's unarguably worse in Brawl because her down special was nerfed

Din's fire can be consistently airdodged on reaction, with no prediction necessary.  When you lose that move because your opponents are getting better, it's devastating.

Then your opponents get even better, and they figure out they can consistently smash DI [that is, wiggling] out of Zelda's forwards smash if they are playing a character any smaller than Bowser.  So you lose that move, too.  Several characters can get out of it so fast that they can hit Zelda with an attack while she's still performing the move.

It's a bit more demanding, but people can get out of Zelda's upsmash too, consistently.

Another thing that hurts Zelda as you move to higher levels of play is that high level players make heavier use of shielding, and Zelda has the slowest non-tether grab in the game, despite mediocre reach and throws with no kill or combo potential. 

If you want a silver lining though, there's a glitch where you use Nayru's Love a certain number of seconds after getting knocked off stage, and the move causes you to shoot up in the air a distance similar to Sonic's spring.  Works wonders for her recovery.  So that's one thing that does get better at the more hardcore level of the game.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:46:27 pm by popsofctown »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:38 pm »
+2

I have a pattern of buying old games consoles long after they've fallen out of favour; I had a Gamecube for several years with no games.  I eventually picked up SSBM, but didn't get any further than testing to see if it worked.

Reading this thread gives me a sense of what f.DS looks like to outsiders.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 02:47:28 pm »

I tried to use as little jargon as possible.

You should play your melee.  Even if you just play it as a single player game (it has adventure mode, event mode), it is a solid classic.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 03:25:37 pm »
+3

I played Smash Bros since the first one and i'd also love to see K.Rool. Don't expect it, though. Also i'd like to see a cool DK stage for once (i really didn't like the DK stages introduced in Brawl), but i'm afraid the Pirate Ship with Zingers is not going to come, either... At least Dixie appears in DK Country returns for Wii U, so at least her, maybe?

On another note, i was pretty excited about Megaman and while it's not a priority, i'm not actually against a second Sonic character (as long as it's a classic one and not some other Sonic clone from the newer games). Didin't like Sonic's moveset, by the way. Too many attacks looked the same. Also hope they give Bowser a Final Smash that is actually related to Bowser and give the Starfox characters different Final Smashs.

And finally, where's my Team Rocket trophy that causes Jessie, James and Meowth to appear in their baloon, laughing at the players? When the balloon gets damaged enough, it would explode and drop hundreds of Pokéballs while you hear them shouting "Team Rocket is blasting off again......!"

Then again, nobody cares what i wish for, so i'll just wait.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:28:17 pm by Asper »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 04:43:01 pm »
+5

Geno.
I mean, seriously, Geno.
It's probably as unlikely as King K. Rool (who would also be cool).
But Geno.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »
+3

Geno.
I mean, seriously, Geno.
But Geno.

Ah, so many summer afternoons spent designing SSB movesets for Geno...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 05:22:20 pm »
+1

Geno.
I mean, seriously, Geno.
But Geno.

Geno Beam, Geno Boost, Geno Whirl, Geno Blast....

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 12:04:53 pm »

Geno.
I mean, seriously, Geno.
But Geno.

Geno Beam, Geno Boost, Geno Whirl, Geno Blast....

I really had to struggle resisting a cheap (and easy to horribly misunderstand) pun about a certain attack of Rugal, the classic "The King of Fighters" boss...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 12:10:13 pm »
+1

Then your opponents get even better, and they figure out they can consistently smash DI [that is, wiggling] out of Zelda's forwards smash if they are playing a character any smaller than Bowser.  So you lose that move, too.  Several characters can get out of it so fast that they can hit Zelda with an attack while she's still performing the move.

In Melee, there's a video where Jigglypuff smash DIs down out of Zelda's fsmash, crouches under the rest of the attack, then does a wavedash into a Rest before Zelda's fsmash cooldown ends.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:59 am »

Yeah, same stuff is in Melee. 

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 09:10:55 am »
+1

Smash is like a great dissertation topic on competitive gaming.  The fact that Melee cobbled together a competitive scene despite the lack of any online multiplayer, and then its subsequent gutting in Brawl, makes for very interesting food for thought.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »

What are the odds of a Castlevania character? Or is that licensed by one of Nintendo's mortal enemies? I was just playing NES Castlevania and realized that a Belmont probably deserves a spot, even if Zero-Suit encroaches a bit on the whole whip thing.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.