Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Smash Bros. 4  (Read 14317 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
Smash Bros. 4
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:14:42 pm »

Looks like there's not already a topic on this.

Sonic was just announced today.  What are people's thoughts on the characters that have been announced so far?  What characters are people hoping/expecting to see?  Are there a lot of Smash Bros. players here?

Personally I'm really hoping for King K. Rool.  I am a huge Donkey Kong Country fan and I just feel like K. Rool would be such an awesome character to play as.  Like, you would never hit with any attacks ever because he would be absurdly slow, but then you manage to land one attack and just instantly win the match because you're K. Rool.  But I'm not really sure his chances of getting in are that great.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros. 4
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:32:58 pm »

Sonic was in the last game! So this is just confirming his reappearance...?

I know that Nintendo has confirmed some new players: Mega Man and the Wii Fitness trainer. And maybe someone else I can't think of.

K. Rool would be cool. His costumes should be call backs to his appearances in the other DK Country games.

Personally, I would like more Zelda characters (surprise, surprise). Skull Kid/Majora's Mask would probably excite me the most.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:09 pm »

I know that Nintendo has confirmed some new players: Mega Man and the Wii Fitness trainer. And maybe someone else I can't think of.

A character from Animal Crossing, whose name I can't remember at the moment. Wii Fitness Trainer looks pretty cool, totally an out-of-left-field choice, but I am really excited about it.

My hope-against-hope character would be someone from the Golden Sun games. This seems totally unlikely unless they announce a new sequel within the next few months, but there is a ton of potential there.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:38:57 pm »

K.Rool is unlikely considering that Rare is owned by Microsoft now. Which is why Donkey Kong Country Returns didn't have any of the Kremlings.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:48:27 pm »

Sorry, I meant to post the link to confirmed characters: http://www.smashbros.com/us/.  So far the new characters that have been revealed are Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager from Animal Crossing.

K.Rool is unlikely considering that Rare is owned by Microsoft now. Which is why Donkey Kong Country Returns didn't have any of the Kremlings.
Yeah, this is why I'm pessimistic about his chances.  And there's a new DKC game coming out that will probably feature a non-K. Rool main villain.  I can still hope though.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:54:06 pm »

Wii Fitness Trainer surprised me. Like "Is the website even legit" surprised. But I guess it might work. Do some Yoga pose in the opponent's face or something.

My favorite SSBB character is Pit, so I hope he returns. Wish-wise, I'm not really hoping for any new characters besides some different Pokemon (anything to replace Jigglypuff).

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:41:35 am »

Golden Sun characters, K. Rool, and Toon Ganandorf.  He would be a lot different than normal Ganandorf, as he's way faster.  I think he could be an interesting character.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:47:28 am »

I've been a smash fan ever since Melee. The Official site lists all of the confirmed re-appearing characters as well as all of the announced newcomers, which Scott linked to. It's possible a few old characters will be cut - most likely being Lucario and Ike I would say (Lucario is likely to get replaced with a Gen 6 or maybe Gen 5 representative, while Ike is likely to get replaced by Chrom).

SSBU, along with FExSMT, Pikmin 3, the next Zelda and Monolith Soft's X are the games most likely to make me buy a Wii U at some point in the next 12 months. Smash is just one of those games, you know? I've ended up playing it with dozens of random people, and it's usually a great laugh.

(Edit: Added a few links, since I suspect a number of people won't know many of the things I'm referencing)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:50:35 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:47 am »

Pikmin 3 was great.  I think I liked the second one better, but the third was a better-made game.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 01:19:11 am »
+1

Smash Bros. is indeed the best. One of my favorite series since N64 era. Probably also the reason why I will eventually obtain a Wii U.
f.ds Smash Bros. Tournament 2014

For some reason, I made hundreds and hundreds of custom levels in Brawl, so I'm hoping they expand on that functionality. One time, one of my college housemates deleted many of my levels, because he didn't like them or found them unplayable. When I discovered that he had done this, I took all of his furniture outside to the backyard, and then painted "I LIKED IT BETTER THIS WAY" in big black lettering on his wall. Honestly I know that was rather disproportionate retaliation and a jerk move lol. But I was enraged and intoxicated at the time. And it's still a good story.

They should totally add Dr. Robotnik, that would be awesome. And they should totally NOT call him Dr. Eggman, because that sounds so stupid and I liked it better the way it was. I liked it better when it was Princess Toadstool too, not Princess Peach. Hmmph.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:11 am »

I played Brawl competitively and attended over a dozen tournaments all around the state.  In the living room I'm sure I've played way too many hours of the game.

I'm hoping Skull Kid doesn't happen, because I feel like he wouldn't live up to my high expectations. 

I want Toon Zelda very badly.  I really like the way her character was developed in Spirit Tracks.  And I enjoy her playstyle in Brawl, but unfortunately she is one of the worst characters in Brawl and Melee.  I'd like it if they doubled her chances at being playable.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 02:13:45 am »

Wish-wise, I'm not really hoping for any new characters besides some different Pokemon (anything to replace Jigglypuff).

Your odds have never been worse, I'm afraid, because Pokemon X and Y reworks Jigglypuff's move set and gives her a new type.  I also am not satisfied with her use of the slot.  She was a half joke character from 64 that.. kinda... stuck around..

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 03:17:09 am »

I played Brawl competitively and attended over a dozen tournaments all around the state.  In the living room I'm sure I've played way too many hours of the game.

I'm hoping Skull Kid doesn't happen, because I feel like he wouldn't live up to my high expectations. 

I want Toon Zelda very badly.  I really like the way her character was developed in Spirit Tracks.  And I enjoy her playstyle in Brawl, but unfortunately she is one of the worst characters in Brawl and Melee.  I'd like it if they doubled her chances at being playable.

Zelda was my main character in both Melee and Brawl. She is so much better in Brawl, until you realize she's still not good compared to everyone else. And Din's Fire only catches everybody for so long.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 03:44:33 am »
+1

Zelda was my main character in both Melee and Brawl. She is so much better in Brawl, until you realize she's still not good compared to everyone else. And Din's Fire only catches everybody for so long.
She's unarguably worse in Brawl because her down special was nerfed

Din's fire can be consistently airdodged on reaction, with no prediction necessary.  When you lose that move because your opponents are getting better, it's devastating.

Then your opponents get even better, and they figure out they can consistently smash DI [that is, wiggling] out of Zelda's forwards smash if they are playing a character any smaller than Bowser.  So you lose that move, too.  Several characters can get out of it so fast that they can hit Zelda with an attack while she's still performing the move.

It's a bit more demanding, but people can get out of Zelda's upsmash too, consistently.

Another thing that hurts Zelda as you move to higher levels of play is that high level players make heavier use of shielding, and Zelda has the slowest non-tether grab in the game, despite mediocre reach and throws with no kill or combo potential. 

If you want a silver lining though, there's a glitch where you use Nayru's Love a certain number of seconds after getting knocked off stage, and the move causes you to shoot up in the air a distance similar to Sonic's spring.  Works wonders for her recovery.  So that's one thing that does get better at the more hardcore level of the game.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:46:27 pm by popsofctown »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:38 pm »
+2

I have a pattern of buying old games consoles long after they've fallen out of favour; I had a Gamecube for several years with no games.  I eventually picked up SSBM, but didn't get any further than testing to see if it worked.

Reading this thread gives me a sense of what f.DS looks like to outsiders.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 02:47:28 pm »

I tried to use as little jargon as possible.

You should play your melee.  Even if you just play it as a single player game (it has adventure mode, event mode), it is a solid classic.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 03:25:37 pm »
+3

I played Smash Bros since the first one and i'd also love to see K.Rool. Don't expect it, though. Also i'd like to see a cool DK stage for once (i really didn't like the DK stages introduced in Brawl), but i'm afraid the Pirate Ship with Zingers is not going to come, either... At least Dixie appears in DK Country returns for Wii U, so at least her, maybe?

On another note, i was pretty excited about Megaman and while it's not a priority, i'm not actually against a second Sonic character (as long as it's a classic one and not some other Sonic clone from the newer games). Didin't like Sonic's moveset, by the way. Too many attacks looked the same. Also hope they give Bowser a Final Smash that is actually related to Bowser and give the Starfox characters different Final Smashs.

And finally, where's my Team Rocket trophy that causes Jessie, James and Meowth to appear in their baloon, laughing at the players? When the balloon gets damaged enough, it would explode and drop hundreds of Pokéballs while you hear them shouting "Team Rocket is blasting off again......!"

Then again, nobody cares what i wish for, so i'll just wait.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:28:17 pm by Asper »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 04:43:01 pm »
+5

Geno.
I mean, seriously, Geno.
It's probably as unlikely as King K. Rool (who would also be cool).
But Geno.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »
+3

Geno.
I mean, seriously, Geno.
But Geno.

Ah, so many summer afternoons spent designing SSB movesets for Geno...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 05:22:20 pm »
+1

Geno.
I mean, seriously, Geno.
But Geno.

Geno Beam, Geno Boost, Geno Whirl, Geno Blast....

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 12:04:53 pm »

Geno.
I mean, seriously, Geno.
But Geno.

Geno Beam, Geno Boost, Geno Whirl, Geno Blast....

I really had to struggle resisting a cheap (and easy to horribly misunderstand) pun about a certain attack of Rugal, the classic "The King of Fighters" boss...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 12:10:13 pm »
+1

Then your opponents get even better, and they figure out they can consistently smash DI [that is, wiggling] out of Zelda's forwards smash if they are playing a character any smaller than Bowser.  So you lose that move, too.  Several characters can get out of it so fast that they can hit Zelda with an attack while she's still performing the move.

In Melee, there's a video where Jigglypuff smash DIs down out of Zelda's fsmash, crouches under the rest of the attack, then does a wavedash into a Rest before Zelda's fsmash cooldown ends.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:59 am »

Yeah, same stuff is in Melee. 

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 09:10:55 am »
+1

Smash is like a great dissertation topic on competitive gaming.  The fact that Melee cobbled together a competitive scene despite the lack of any online multiplayer, and then its subsequent gutting in Brawl, makes for very interesting food for thought.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »

What are the odds of a Castlevania character? Or is that licensed by one of Nintendo's mortal enemies? I was just playing NES Castlevania and realized that a Belmont probably deserves a spot, even if Zero-Suit encroaches a bit on the whole whip thing.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 05:32:27 pm »

What are the odds of a Castlevania character? Or is that licensed by one of Nintendo's mortal enemies? I was just playing NES Castlevania and realized that a Belmont probably deserves a spot, even if Zero-Suit encroaches a bit on the whole whip thing.

Nintendo said they aren't wanting too many third-party characters (I remember hearing from somewhere, don't quote me on this), and with sonic and megaman already confirmed, it's pretty unlikely.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 11:17:32 pm »

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/rosetta.html

Rosalina & Luma announced as a playable character!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 11:34:54 pm »

Interesting! Thought we might see them.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 12:07:37 am »

Wow, that was unexpected.

Edit: She's been what, playable in one game (which was a spinoff game anyway), a major NPC in one and cameo'd in one. None of them recent. Her one game was also quite a while ago. Add to that the Mario series already having lots of characters and others seeming more likely as plausible new candidates (such as Toad or some variant thereof, or maybe Daisy or Waluigi or another Kong or something).

Edit 2: It looks like actually she's far more popular and appeared in games far more frequently than I thought. Guess she wasn't that unexpected after all (except to me, apparently).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:16:30 am by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 01:16:07 am »

Wow, that was unexpected.

Edit: She's been what, playable in one game (which was a spinoff game anyway), a major NPC in one and cameo'd in one. None of them recent. Her one game was also quite a while ago. Add to that the Mario series already having lots of characters and others seeming more likely as plausible new candidates (such as Toad or some variant thereof, or maybe Daisy or Waluigi or another Kong or something).

Edit 2: It looks like actually she's far more popular and appeared in games far more frequently than I thought. Guess she wasn't that unexpected after all (except to me, apparently).

She's also in a new game that just came out, or comes out really soon, so it's a concurrent marketing thing to announce her now.

Toad is already all but confirmed to excluded because Peach still uses him as an attack in one of the released videos/pictures.  It doesn't completely rule it out, but aesthetically it's awkward to have a character both in an accessory role and playable role. (Jigglypuff, Pichu, Pikachu, and Mewtwo have never come out of pokeballs.  Charizard came out of pokeballs in every game except Brawl, where he was a playable character.  Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Lucario have also never come out of pokeballs.)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:57 am »
+1

^Most notable Mario Universe-centric exception: the Hurly Gloves.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 08:35:39 am »

^Most notable Mario Universe-centric exception: the Hurly Gloves.

Right, but in that case Bowser literally picks up Mario; he doesn't have a second Mario in his pocket. (I know about the doll, whatever you know what I mean)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 05:54:04 pm »

I started getting back into watching SSBM lately.  Anyone else follow KoC3?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 07:06:27 am »

nah, I always prefer playing to watching

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 01:03:08 am »
+1

I'm going to a fighting game tournament next week to play Smash, called Kumite in Tennessee.  It will be heavily streamed, any of you spectator sort of people should watch :D

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 12:29:01 pm »
+2

I'm going to a fighting game tournament next week to play Smash, called Kumite in Tennessee.  It will be heavily streamed, any of you spectator sort of people should watch :D

As a lifelong younger sibling and disciple if the art that is video game speciation, I would love to watch! Let me know where it will be streamed and when please :)
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 08:32:02 pm »
+1

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Pools for Project M singles will be on Saturday, the 25th, at 5 pm.  I will probably use the time between 11 and 5 when melee pools are going on to practice Project M and maximize my chances of winning something.

Only top 8 get out of pools.  If I manage that miracle I will DDoS Goko and make all you scouts watch me on Sunday.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 08:33:38 pm »

I'm hoping they are doing 4 pools and letting the top 2 of each pool out, rather than having 8 pools.  If I get assigned to one of 8 small pools and I get the one that has M2K in it, that would suck.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:39 pm »
+3

Pools for Project M singles will be on Saturday, the 25th, at 5 pm.  I will probably use the time between 11 and 5 when melee pools are going on to practice Project M and maximize my chances of winning something.

Only top 8 get out of pools.  If I manage that miracle I will DDoS Goko and make all you scouts watch me on Sunday.

Can someone explain popsofctown's joke to me in a way that doesn't seem like it's patronizing us all by calling us Scouts? :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 10:23:12 pm »
+1

Can someone explain popsofctown's joke to me in a way that doesn't seem like it's patronizing us all by calling us Scouts? :P
I'm hoping no one can.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 05:07:28 am »
+1

He's suggesting that he'd be so good/we'd be so bad that we'd all be like Scout in comparison to him.

(Note: Hope this makes the joke more funny now that I've explained it)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 07:35:34 am »
+1

He means if he manages to make it to the end which would be a miracle he will suddenly gain an insane ego as well as the ability to ddos(take down) goko so that we will have nothin to do and have to watch him be amazing.

I believe the pun was intended as a reversal of attitudes caused by hoping to make it to finals and being in the finals. Aka he isn't patronizing us.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 08:17:15 am »

SSB is probably the only game that can make me buy a WiiU. I was a fan from the beginning, and i find it astounding that even the number of characters revealed by now is much bigger than the total of characters in the first game. the game sure has developed since then.
It's a pity that a good story mode won't return, but as long as Metaknight (in a way that doesn't make me feel bad for playing as him) and Diddy Kong appear, i'll be happy anyhow. Sure wouldn't mind the Pokémon Trainer, either. Hopefully the WiiU will be cheaper by then.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 10:01:39 am »

How did it go?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 10:00:16 pm »
+1

How did it go?
I won 3 of my matches in the "pool", which turned out to have an elimination structure, which makes it pointless to have it as a separate structure.

I lost two matches, both to the same player.

I had fun playing friendlies though.

Overall I regret going in the first place.  It's the only tournament I've ever attended that was so poorly structured I could lose to only one particular individual and get eliminated.  It left me with half as much to consider improving upon for a tournament with twice the cost of a normal one.

Tennessee players are nicer than Alabama players.  It's a secret to everybody.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 08:18:51 pm »

Lucario confirmed.  Sakurai said aura will have an "increased impact".  Kind of disappointing to hear, Lucario's catch-back-up design is crappy.

At the very least I hope the stock-based aura factor is removed.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10766
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 05:07:33 pm »

Little Mac!!! Definitely an awesome choice!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 05:28:05 pm »

He's the first newcomer not to get a video, it would seem? I mean, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Megaman kind of shared an intro video, Rosalina got a big intro video.  Little Mac I only see the pictures.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 07:06:52 pm »
+1

He's the first newcomer not to get a video, it would seem? I mean, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Megaman kind of shared an intro video, Rosalina got a big intro video.  Little Mac I only see the pictures.

You mean this video that he didn't get  ::)?

Edit: The video was in the same place it was for Rosalina IIRC, on the character page
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:09:31 pm by Tables »

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 07:33:47 pm »

Looks pretty close to Ike, do you think Mac's replacing him?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:00 pm »

Little Mac? I like his in-your-face fighting style and would be happy to try him out. I don't have a Wii U though.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if Ike is gone (his games never sold that well, and Chrom is the new main FE lord), but Little Mac as a replacement seems weird. I see very little similarity personally, only what looks like his >b attack seems similar to Ike's >b.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 09:05:18 pm »

Little Mac? I like his in-your-face fighting style and would be happy to try him out. I don't have a Wii U though.

It's coming to 3ds too.  Much better library on it than the WiiU will probably ever have.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 09:09:40 pm »

It's coming to 3ds too.  Much better library on it than the WiiU will probably ever have.
In that case, I'll be sure to read reviews for the 3DS version when it comes out. I have no interest in another home console, but I don't have any hand-held ones. The most important factor for me would be the controls.

Edit: was it confirmed that people with a 3DS would be able to play against people with a WiiU?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:39 pm »

I think you can only play with people playing the same version.  Both have different stages (but the same characters) so I'd imagine they are not compatible.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:05 pm »

Oh, I really liked how, in the trailer for Little Mac, the Wii Fit Trainer was the only character that got the better of Little Mac. There must be some favouritism going on for the Wii Fit Trainer.

I think you can only play with people playing the same version.  Both have different stages (but the same characters) so I'd imagine they are not compatible.
Well, that's not ideal, but understandable. I know that Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale allows for cross platform play between the PS3 and the PSVita. I hope no one felt any pangs of pain upon mention of PSAS:BR. Personally, I'd only consider getting a PS4 if they make a sequel for it.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 12:37:42 am »

Well, considering Monster Hunters Tri Ultimate was cross-compatible between Wii U and 3DS versions, it wouldn't be too surprising if SSBU and SSB3DS were as well.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 12:52:46 am »

I couldn't find it, sue me

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:23 am »

Well, considering Monster Hunters Tri Ultimate was cross-compatible between Wii U and 3DS versions, it wouldn't be too surprising if SSBU and SSB3DS were as well.
Well, it doesn't seem like cross platform play will be happening:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/wii-u-and-3ds-smash-bros-will-not-have-cross-platform-play-wil/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 04:23:15 pm »
+1

Cross platform play would be a lot of extra effort for the developers for a feature that might not even see that much use.  If you're part of the consumer base that collectively rejected Four Swords for GBA/Gamecube then you can't complain that crossplatform play won't appear for this pair.

I have little to no idea why the PR for Nintendo has such a charade about it though.  "Cross platform play won't be possible because the games have different stages".  Making some stages appear in both versions is obviously a trivial task, and nowhere near the most difficult aspect of implementing cross platform play.  Maybe that's how PR is supposed to work in Japan, you give official reasons like that that sound like a decisive choice and not a lazy choice (maybe some kind of valuation on honor or work in their society), even though it's a lazy choice (I mean, a good lazy choice, as I outlined earlier the cost-benefit on crossplatform play isn't good enough.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »

I'm really excited about the customization aspect.  Having 40*10 mechanically unique character choices would be sweet.

If the customizations turn out to be taunts, man that would sure be a downer.

I honestly wouldn't have hardly minded if they were unlocked by repetitive tasks, I will probably get the DS version and take it everywhere everywhere everywhere.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 05:03:14 pm »

Having 40*10 mechanically unique character choices would be sweet.
... 400?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 06:16:27 pm »

40ish characters times 10ish customizations

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 11:19:13 pm »

40ish characters times 10ish customizations

...400ish^2 character-customizations?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2014, 07:50:08 am »

Both have different stages (but the same characters) so I'd imagine they are not compatible.

Didn't they just state "the same number of characters"? I wouldn't be surprised if that meant something.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2014, 09:11:05 am »

Must admit i never was overly exited for Little Mac, likely because i never played Punch Out, dislike sports in general and think his design is pretty bland (things that still apply).
I do admit that his preview video makes him look like a character i'd like to try out, though. He obviously has some moves that rely on what would be called "invincibility frames" in a normal 2D fighter, which gives me the hope that his gameplay style will make a connection between SSB and "real" 2D fighters. Might seem a bit stretched judging from the few things we have seen, but he is a martial artist, after all.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »

Both have different stages (but the same characters) so I'd imagine they are not compatible.

Didn't they just state "the same number of characters"? I wouldn't be surprised if that meant something.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be disappointed.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2014, 04:26:15 pm »

Diddy Kong returns. Awesome. I always loved the old DKC games, especially Diddy's Kong Quest. Really wouldn't mind having Dixie in there, either. Or at least an acceptable DKC stage that is not set in the jungle.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »

Diddy Kong returns. Awesome. I always loved the old DKC games, especially Diddy's Kong Quest. Really wouldn't mind having Dixie in there, either. Or at least an acceptable DKC stage that is not set in the jungle.
Really? Sweet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 20 queries.