Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wharf, bank, big money best here?  (Read 1508 times)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Wharf, bank, big money best here?
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:03:57 am »

I have played this IRL on tournament as 3 player game.
I opened silver and IW. I have tried to build an engine using IW, Wharf, village, peddler and banks in the end. I lost to almost Wharf, bank, big money (with 2 or 3 villages). 3rd player went for same engine as me with lookout and woodcutter. It ended on a 3-pile, Wharf, village, peddler.

Is Wharf, bank, big money best here?
If not, would you buy lookout?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:16:08 am by yed »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Wharf, bank, big money best here?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:16:18 am »

Getting 2 or 3 villages tells me that he wasn't playing big money at all - that's really an engine. What is the difference between your deck and his? My guess is the ironworks. Which mean this boils down to a question about whether Irownworks is worth it or not here, and my guess is not - you don't really need very many villages to support wharves, and it's much more important to make sure you get as many wharves as possible as fast as possible.

Maybe the 3-player-ness of this changes it some, but in general I think that would make you want Ironworks less rather than more, as there are fewer villages to scoop up with it, and 3 pile endings could come faster. The only way I see that not being the case is if the piles aren't going to run somehow AND the third player does something terrible. Well, okay, about the third guy, lookout seems to be too slow to be worth it here, and woodcutter seems absolutely awful - the only thing it does is get you some free peddlers, but those will be gone pretty quick, especially with the spare buys you expect off of wharf, and in the meanwhile, you have an extra terminal to support AND it makes bank worth less (compared to what it would be if Woodcutter had been Silver).

Wharf/Bank BM is, in general, not too bad either.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:06:17 pm »

It's one of those 3 player games where you have to watch your opponents. If three players share the peddlers it isn't worth it and slow strategies could miss the boat. If two players share peddlers they might lose out racing each other and the money player is likely to profit. If one player takes all the peddlers then it's worth it and that player might control the three pile ending too. It's a bit like a three player scissors-paper-stone. So how do you decide your plan turn 1? Well you probably want to avoid openings that can lose entirely if your opponents deny your cards, and in this kingdom it would be ironworks/lookout.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:32:22 am »
+1

Got to be Village/Wharf/Bank, using extra buys to soak up free Peddlers. Thief isn't irrelevant here, since you have two opponents to steal from, and they have Banks.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.711 seconds with 21 queries.