Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #4: Seaside  (Read 96893 times)

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #4: Seaside
« Reply #300 on: October 09, 2013, 06:57:58 pm »
+1

If TfB cards like Apprentice really did care about the value of the card, they would do nothing when you trashed a Scout.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2013, 06:59:01 pm »
+1

If TfB cards like Apprentice really did care about the value of the card, they would do nothing when you trashed a Scout.

Well, trashing a Scout is benefitial in itself.

lehmacdj

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: lehmacdj
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 09, 2013, 08:15:02 pm »

By the way, when are results going up?

Edit: I might still make a card for intrigue because I realize there is still time.  Oops contest not done yet?  Hope no one saw that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:20:43 pm by lehmacdj »

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 09, 2013, 09:06:08 pm »
+1

Lastfootnote... I might suggest that for future contests that get to this stage to not have the authors made public and comment on their cards. I say this because immediately after Archetype and I commented on our cards the conversation completely stagnated and has moved on instead to a TfB discussion (which isn't a bad discussion at all mind you, but has gone away from the ultimate purpose of this thread at this juncture).

I am not sure if our commenting actually had anything to do with the stagnation, but it certainly appears to have had an impact. Or maybe it was because everyone that already had anything to say said it before we commented... But I do wonder if having our cards made public and having our comments perhaps inhibits people from further discussing them? I would hope this isn't the case, but I do wonder if it is a possibility.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:13 pm »

Lastfootnote... I might suggest that for future contests that get to this stage to not have the authors made public and comment on their cards. I say this because immediately after Archetype and I commented on our cards the conversation completely stagnated and has moved on instead to a TfB discussion (which isn't a bad discussion at all mind you, but has gone away from the ultimate purpose of this thread at this juncture).

I am not sure if our commenting actually had anything to do with the stagnation, but it certainly appears to have had an impact. Or maybe it was because everyone that already had anything to say said it before we commented... But I do wonder if having our cards made public and having our comments perhaps inhibits people from further discussing them? I would hope this isn't the case, but I do wonder if it is a possibility.

Keeping names anonymous would be good.  In such a situation, the authors could PM their thoughts to LF and he could post them instead.  But yeah, I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said.

Recycle -- fits a cool niche, can be used for neat tricks, maybe a bit too strong.
Observatory -- TfB that hasn't been seen, potentially quite interesting for a $2 (or $3) card, maybe would just end up filling the same role as Lookout.

Those are my takes on them.  Observatory is OK, but I like Recycle a lot more.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2013, 09:18:40 pm »

Recycle -- fits a cool niche, can be used for neat tricks, maybe a bit too strong.

I think it was you eHal that didn't like the name. I tried to find something that fit the Remodel, remake, rebuild family. But you are right that it isn't very seaside appropriate.

How about Flotsam and Jetsam... not the eels from the Little Mermaid, but instead the wreckage thrown away from a ship to lighten the load? Or maybe just Jetsam?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2013, 09:31:37 pm »

I think it was you eHal that didn't like the name. I tried to find something that fit the Remodel, remake, rebuild family. But you are right that it isn't very seaside appropriate.

How about Flotsam and Jetsam... not the eels from the Little Mermaid, but instead the wreckage thrown away from a ship to lighten the load? Or maybe just Jetsam?

Yeah, I commented on that.  Dunno about Flotsam or Jetsam because that doesn't really give a "get better stuff" feel.

Maybe a seasidey Re- word?  Umm... Refurbish, Reconstruct, Recondition, Restore, Redesign... all still generic though.  Repair?  That fits ships a bit better, but I don't think the meaning really matches.  Retreat and Refuge are like Haven... or maybe do something like "Ship Repair", but in that case might as well just call it "Shipwright".

What other official cards are in this family that don't really fit the name scheme?  Mine and Graverobber are the ones that come to my mind.  "Shipyard" fits the former and "Shipwright" fits the latter, I think, and they are both related to construction and building which matches the Remodel function.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 09, 2013, 09:36:37 pm »

What other official cards are in this family that don't really fit the name scheme?  Mine and Graverobber are the ones that come to my mind.  "Shipyard" fits the former and "Shipwright" fits the latter, I think, and they are both related to construction and building which matches the Remodel function.

There is Butcher as well. And there are the generics that do not start with Re: Upgrade and Develop. There is also Improve in the generic department. Reinforce may be a little seaside-y.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2013, 09:37:58 pm »
+2

Refit?

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2013, 09:43:22 pm »

I am not sure if our commenting actually had anything to do with the stagnation, but it certainly appears to have had an impact. Or maybe it was because everyone that already had anything to say said it before we commented...

I think the mini-deadlines have become a little too spaced out.  (Which is why I would guess that voting is down.)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 09, 2013, 09:43:34 pm »

Refit?

Like, Refit a ship?  It matches the Remodel function.

Resupply is something that you might do at a wharf, but the meaning doesn't match as well.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:53 am »

I like Repair.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 10, 2013, 07:48:23 am »

I am not sure if our commenting actually had anything to do with the stagnation, but it certainly appears to have had an impact. Or maybe it was because everyone that already had anything to say said it before we commented...

I think the mini-deadlines have become a little too spaced out.  (Which is why I would guess that voting is down.)

I agree. I'm just waiting for this poll to show up. I'm not sure why it shouldn't have gone up 2 days after the tie was announced.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38:47 pm »
+1

I agree. I'm just waiting for this poll to show up. I'm not sure why it shouldn't have gone up 2 days after the tie was announced.

Well, I wanted to wait a bit for discussion. After that, just my laziness. Sorry. I'm about to put it up.

EDIT: Poll is up! In other news, Intrigue submissions are still trickling in. I will attempt to post the ballot soon after the deadline tomorrow. We may use a different voting system this time, depending on what I can swing. Thanks, everyone!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:42:42 pm by LastFootnote »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 10, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »

So I want to compare Mortuary to Observatory now. Mortuary is a $5, and it has none of the filtering / setting up next turn abilities of Observatory. The only thing it does do that Observatory can't is trash from the discard. So, is that ability really worth the difference between a $2 and a $5, while also loosing the ability to filter and do possible big things with more expensive cards?

Obviously trashing from the discard is a great thing for 2 reasons... it's almost like a virtual +1 card, because you aren't decreasing your handsize as much; and you have a bigger selection to choose from. But it's also swingy... I know I've had Hermit in my hand many times while my discard pile is empty.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 10, 2013, 01:50:52 pm »
+1

So I want to compare Mortuary to Observatory now. Mortuary is a $5, and it has none of the filtering / setting up next turn abilities of Observatory. The only thing it does do that Observatory can't is trash from the discard. So, is that ability really worth the difference between a $2 and a $5, while also loosing the ability to filter and do possible big things with more expensive cards?

Obviously trashing from the discard is a great thing for 2 reasons... it's almost like a virtual +1 card, because you aren't decreasing your handsize as much; and you have a bigger selection to choose from. But it's also swingy... I know I've had Hermit in my hand many times while my discard pile is empty.
Mortuary also builds the +1 card bonus as it stacks.  (If you have five Mortuaries in play when you trash a card costing $2 or more, you get 5 cards.)  So not only does it leave you with a handsize bigger by 1 card by default (since it can trash from the discard), but if you play multiple of them, you can draw much bigger than Observatory.  (If you play multiple Observatories, you have to trash a card costing $1 or more each time you want to draw, which is especially hard to do from hand.)

Also, Mortuary can draw when you play other trashers.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 10, 2013, 02:07:21 pm »

Mortuary also builds the +1 card bonus as it stacks.  (If you have five Mortuaries in play when you trash a card costing $2 or more, you get 5 cards.)  So not only does it leave you with a handsize bigger by 1 card by default (since it can trash from the discard), but if you play multiple of them, you can draw much bigger than Observatory.  (If you play multiple Observatories, you have to trash a card costing $1 or more each time you want to draw, which is especially hard to do from hand.)

Also, Mortuary can draw when you play other trashers.
I don't know why you'd have 5 Mortuaries. More likely, you have 3 of them, use the first 2 to trash coppers/curses/ruins from the diacard, then use the last one to trash a Silver or something and replace the card slots used up by Mortuary. If you're lucky, you can use another trasher to get another +3 cards.

Observatory is different from Mortuary in that it has the Cartographer ability. That seems good enough for $2 or $3. Mortuary mostly trashes non-terminally, but has a fair amount of Combo potential. Also it works with 1-shots. I don't see them as being TOO similar, but Observatory works the way most people initially though Mortuary worked.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 10, 2013, 04:15:14 pm »
+1

I think just being able to trash out of the discard without losing an action might be worth 5.

Observatory might be better at 3.  It doesn't seem much better or worse than Lookout.  But, it'd be kind of a weak 3. 

I think it might be a more fun and unique card if it discarded, instead of trashed.  I'd vote for that card.  As a trasher, it's too close practically to Mortuary.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 10, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »

I'm voting for Recycle, because I feel like it adds more to seaside. Observatory feels like a slightly nicer card in a vacuum, but its role is better covered among seaside cards and in general.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 10, 2013, 06:37:37 pm »

Since it's obviously going to be either Observatory or Recycle at this point, I can just come out and say that I made Coastal Raiders.

I was originally going to do the "play a card now, play it later", but LastFootnote rightly pointed out that I was being silly and DX had already tried that and decided against it.  So I tried something else.  I came up with the name Coastal Raiders, and the concept fell from there.  It attacks now (raids), and comes back later with money.  This makes it very similar to Militia, except the +$ comes later, so you get more money than Militia gives to compensate. However, a belayed Gold after a discard Attack still doesn't seem worth $4, so I bumped it down the $3.  It's cheap, but not necessarily spammable.  If you manage to play 3 in a turn, you'll know you're buying a Province next turn.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 10, 2013, 07:11:27 pm »

I did Lockbox. I screwed up by forgetting that adding the +1 buy next turn (to make your saved treasures more useful) meant that you don't get the saved treasures until the second turn after, which completely ruins the whole point of the card. When you play it, what was supposed to happen was that you know you have two silvers and a copper in hand and would rather wait and get a gold next turn. But yeah, oops that is not how duration rules work. Now my somewhat cool idea is completely terrible. =)

Also as far as the +1 buy on the turn you play it goes... the basic idea was "+1 buy is better than nothing, and this way you can use it as a ruined market if you don't want to use the saving feature".

So yeah: was supposed to be Turn 1 +buy just cause why not, save treasure; Turn 2 use saved treasure, +buy to spend them with

not Turn 1 +buy cause this card sucks; Turn 2 +buy but wait you want to save treasure; Turn 3 now I have too much treasure and no +buy why did I buy this card?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 10, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »

The poll is live, if anyone missed it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »
+1

I did Docks (A). I must say I think there were lots of overestimations about its power. Yes, it can be powerful sometimes, especially with Fishing Village, but in other cases, is hard to make it work. Once you have an engine, you can add a couple to provide stability, but it does not make an engine on its own and it is AWFUL for Big Money, much worse than Smitty and nothing compared to Wharf. Especially, its pretty hard to find a good moment to add it, unless you have a gainer, when it really shines.

Also, Docks (A) only provides +Cards, so even when it shines, it will "only" draw your deck. And it will do it with much more difficulty than Scrying Pool, for instance, that also attacks and is non-terminal.

It is not too good as an opener (too slow), does not provide money or Buys, but it has potential in some engines without trashing, and I like those cards: sometimes really powerful, but not the majority of the time.

I will just end my vent with this: I loved that WW thinks its probably weak in the video and several other people think its incredibly overpowered. This at least left me thinking it was interesting to analyze.

Anyway, I like the two cards that got to the seaside finals, but I think we are kind of pointing too much to complicated cards for an early expansion like Seaside. Complicated cards are always more fun, but I feel like a true Treasure Chest should respect more or less its origin, and have complicated cards in the later sets only, like the original expansions.

lehmacdj

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: lehmacdj
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 10, 2013, 07:57:45 pm »

I am now going to post what I was going to post earlier.
My card was Royal Armada.
Royal Armada
Types: Action – Duration
Cost: $5
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may choose an Action card in your hand and set it aside. At the start of your next turn, play it twice.
Very short secret history:
When I read the secret histories, I found it interesting that a duration throne room was unable to work.  When trying to come up with a bonus I decided to veer away from other throne rooms being dead without another action by making it be a cantrip in such situations.  I tried to solve the problems of play it now and at the start of your next turn by making it all on your next turn, hopefully to eliminate some confusion.
I didn't think it would be to confusing to Royal Armada a Royal Armada, and I think it's cool that Royal Armada can be in play for multiple turns without being too weird.  Although I noticed it would be powerful with terminal draw, I thought that interaction was not too good because you would have to have two copies per one you wanted each turn.

First submission to a design contest.

I will be voting for recycle because it feels seasidy and seaside could use a remodel.

Edit: Added Quote
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:29:05 pm by lehmacdj »

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 10, 2013, 07:59:22 pm »
+2

I did Docks (A). I must say I think there were lots of overestimations about its power. Yes, it can be powerful sometimes, especially with Fishing Village, but in other cases, is hard to make it work. Once you have an engine, you can add a couple to provide stability, but it does not make an engine on its own and it is AWFUL for Big Money, much worse than Smitty and nothing compared to Wharf. Especially, its pretty hard to find a good moment to add it, unless you have a gainer, when it really shines.

Also, Docks (A) only provides +Cards, so even when it shines, it will "only" draw your deck. And it will do it with much more difficulty than Scrying Pool, for instance, that also attacks and is non-terminal.

It is not too good as an opener (too slow), does not provide money or Buys, but it has potential in some engines without trashing, and I like those cards: sometimes really powerful, but not the majority of the time.

I will just end my vent with this: I loved that WW thinks its probably weak in the video and several other people think its incredibly overpowered. This at least left me thinking it was interesting to analyze.

Anyway, I like the two cards that got to the seaside finals, but I think we are kind of pointing too much to complicated cards for an early expansion like Seaside. Complicated cards are always more fun, but I feel like a true Treasure Chest should respect more or less its origin, and have complicated cards in the later sets only, like the original expansions.

I think part of the concern with it is that it seems rare that it'll be an 'ok' card. It essentially superchages your engines. So if you can an decent engine going without it, its likely really powerful as it makes that engine awesome, but if you can't get an engine going then why bother with docks. Could be why it feels both weak and too strong =)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  All

Page created in 2.653 seconds with 20 queries.