Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Photoshop Template - My First Contribution to the Community  (Read 3655 times)

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Photoshop Template - My First Contribution to the Community
« on: September 21, 2013, 11:04:36 pm »
+8

Hello!

This is my first post in these forums.  I am a long time Dominion player, but just recently started browsing Dominion subject matter online, and I'm pretty amazed with everything I have found.

Anyway, I am quite adept with Photoshop, and have wanted to make a template for creating fan cards for a while.  After finding the Goko Dominion online game, I decided now was the time.  Mostly using print screen to capture card images at their highest resolution, I created a photoshop template (preview attached) for Action, Action - Attack, and Action - Reaction cards.

This is just version 1.0, and I will possibly add more detail in the future.  I have not purchased any Gokoins, and have only captured the high-res images from the base set, which limited what I was able to do, but I still wanted to share what I've come up with.

PM me if you would like me to email you the .psd directly, otherwise, you can download it here: www.scon.comze.com/DFCTv1-0.psd

You do need the Trajan Pro font, but I found it free online, so just search for it.

Any feedback is welcome, and I will post some instructions on how to use the template for anyone not too familiar with photoshop. If you guys like it, perhaps I will buy some Goko expansions and release updated versions of the template... Or if you feel like transfering me some Gokoins (if that's even possible) I'll get on it right away!!

Enjoy!
Showdown35
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
Re: Photoshop Template - My First Contribution to the Community
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 11:49:03 pm »

This is great!  There was something similar on BGG that I think is what most people use for their fan cards, but I think yours is much better quality, since it's taken directly from Goko, rather than images of the cards IRL.

If you're looking for a way to get templates from other expansions (Durations, hybrid victory cards, etc.), there may be a way to directly access the images without owning the expansions, but I don't know what it is.  Otherwise, you can probably find someone who owns expansions who would be willing to take five minutes or so to host a game for you to capture other card images (assuming you're just going for one of each type).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:11:54 am »

Definitely need templates for other card types. :)

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 12:14:55 am »

Thanks for the feedback!

I would pretty much just need one screen cap of each type of card, although, I can do better quality work with multiple cards.  It makes it easier to overlap them and take the unused space of multiple cards-- the less clone stamping the better!

The formatting of the text is a little finicky, not perfect by any means, but it's very editable position and size wise, which can be adjusted on a card to card basis.  Again, something I'll work on perfecting and release in a future update.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:18 am »
+3

http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/94152568/file.html

This is all the art I could find and download from Goko (using Chrome developer tools). This contains:
- art of all 205 kingdom cards (incl Knights randomizer), all ruins, shelters and knights, madman and mercenary,
- icons of 9 expansions and 5 promos,
- card templates for all card types existing (including Victory-Potion for Vineyard, but without Action-Potion for Transmute)
- Trash card art, card back both for a regular card and for Stash (no randomizer back)
- coin, potion and VP shield images in different sizes.

Feel free to do anything useful with this. Some things that could definitely help to improve the archive:
- make a randomizer card back image,
- make a template for action that has cost 0 coins, 1 Potion
- remove question marks from Treasure-Reaction template
- add templates for card types that could very well be used in the game, but haven't (mostly Duration-Victory, Duration-Reaction and so on).

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:24:41 am »

I don't understand this at all.  Could someone explain what is going on to someone as computer illiterate as me?
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 06:48:34 pm »

I don't understand this at all.  Could someone explain what is going on to someone as computer illiterate as me?

What would you like to know? This template makes it easier to create good-looking fan cards. To use it, you need an image editing program like Photoshop or GIMP. If you want help using it, I could walk you through it via PM or Skype or something.

I actually have my own template that I should have posted a while ago. It's got pros and cons compared to this one.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:32:35 pm »

http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/94152568/file.html

This is all the art I could find and download from Goko (using Chrome developer tools). This contains:
- art of all 205 kingdom cards (incl Knights randomizer), all ruins, shelters and knights, madman and mercenary,
- icons of 9 expansions and 5 promos,
- card templates for all card types existing (including Victory-Potion for Vineyard, but without Action-Potion for Transmute)
- Trash card art, card back both for a regular card and for Stash (no randomizer back)
- coin, potion and VP shield images in different sizes.

Feel free to do anything useful with this. Some things that could definitely help to improve the archive:
- make a randomizer card back image,
- make a template for action that has cost 0 coins, 1 Potion
- remove question marks from Treasure-Reaction template
- add templates for card types that could very well be used in the game, but haven't (mostly Duration-Victory, Duration-Reaction and so on).

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! These files will make things way, WAY easier!!  And they are even better quality than the screenshots I took!

Kinda makes me feel like I wasted the last few days creating my template, but it's all good! I'm pretty excited to use these images and create a much better one!  Please be a little patient, but I will create a near perfect template using these high-res images and post it, along with a read-me that will explain how to use it!

Thanks again, hsiale! Much appreciated!!!

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:26:37 am »

Ok, after hours and hours, I have completed Version 2.0 of this template.  Using many of the Goko images provided by hsiale, I'm very, very happy with how it turned out.  I'm about to post it in a new topic.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.