Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Takeover  (Read 2813 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Takeover
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:00 pm »
+2

Considering options for a one-shot Attack card.

Takeover
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: $5
+1 Action. Trash this. Each other player reveals cards from his deck until he reveals one costing from $3 to $6. He trashes it and discards the rest. Gain one of the trashed cards, putting it into your hand.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Takeover
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »
+1

Interesting! You've probably already thought of it in this way, but when you buy this you are essentially "buying" a random $3-$6 in your opponent's deck (barring drawing it dead). Then when you play it you get a knights that searches the deck. I like it though it's hard to judge power without playtesting. And of course there's the type of person who just hates having their cards trashed. Don't you already have 1-2 trashing attacks in Enterprise? Is this going to replace one of them? Did you intentionally make it thronable? God, this with General is just brutal.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49:43 pm »

Interesting! You've probably already thought of it in this way, but when you buy this you are essentially "buying" a random $3-$6 in your opponent's deck (barring drawing it dead). Then when you play it you get a knights that searches the deck. I like it though it's hard to judge power without playtesting. And of course there's the type of person who just hates having their cards trashed.

Yeah, I had thought of the "random card buy" aspect of it. I guess the question is whether most players would actually enjoy that.

Don't you already have 1-2 trashing attacks in Enterprise? Is this going to replace one of them? Did you intentionally make it thronable? God, this with General is just brutal.

I don't really consider Barrister to be a trashing Attack, but yeah. I do have Axeman. This is not meant to replace either of them. I'm still searching for a card to fill the 25th slot. It doesn't have to be an Attack, though. This is just one idea I had and it happened to be an Attack. As long as Recruiter works out, I think there's probably enough attacking in the set, but it could maybe accommodate one more Attack card?

I did not intentionally make it Throneable (although I'm fine with the fact that it is), but oh crap that General combo. Hmm…

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »
+1

I think putting it into your hand might make it a little bit too strong. If you manage to trash a $5 card, it's like you bought that card normally but your opponent also lost a copy of it - that's very strong, and even if you hit a $4 card, I think the effect would be too strong for $5 (unless the $4 card in question is Rats or Fortress). The randomness instead of choice makes it slightly weaker, but on paper, it still sounds like it needs something more. Perhaps make it a cantrip and topdeck the gained card?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:50 pm »
+1

Feels like a one-shot "all in one" Rogue+Saboteur. It does the attack and gains the trashed card. But I guess it's different enough because it's a one shot. I'm not sure it's actually that strong. Both Rogue and Saboteur are weak cards. Even if you gain the card, it's not super strong. It does fit into an engine nicely though because it's non-terminal.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:31:25 pm by KingZog3 »

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:16:59 pm »
+1

I think putting it into your hand might make it a little bit too strong. If you manage to trash a $5 card, it's like you bought that card normally but your opponent also lost a copy of it - that's very strong, and even if you hit a $4 card, I think the effect would be too strong for $5 (unless the $4 card in question is Rats or Fortress). The randomness instead of choice makes it slightly weaker, but on paper, it still sounds like it needs something more. Perhaps make it a cantrip and topdeck the gained card?

This was my initial thought too, but most of the time you'll probably be hitting silver (especially since your opponent should be stocking up on silvers as a counter anyway). Considering how weak trashing attacks are in general, I would say it might be alright, though certainly powerful. That General combo probably needs to be nerfed though.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:11:34 am »

i think it might be worth considering changing it to $4-6 just so you  don't hit silver. noone wants to steal a silver with a 5$ one shot
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:47:54 am by silverspawn »

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:37:11 pm »
+2

i think it might be worth considering changing it to $4-6 just so you  don't hit silver. noone wants to steal a silver with a 5$ one shot

I think this would make it super OP.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:07 pm »
+1

Stealing silver still means you gained and your opponent lost a Silver. That's not great but it's not terrible.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 03:19:05 pm »

This Card:Exchange::Rogue:Graverobber

I like it. Definitely include this if Axeman proves too strong and you go back to "Magistrate" (or whatever you renamed Tax Collector). Even if it hits Silver, you have the Silver ready to go and therefore this card is a Silver with a bonus (the oneshot attack). An analogy that kind of works for the cards power is a Silver with a Trade Token that you can use for a one time Knight/Saboteur attack - you lose the versatility of the Trade token but you gain the versatility of what card this might turn out to be. It's kind of like turning the Trade Token/Fund theme on its head - you don't quite know what card it is you're going to get, but you know it has a very nice one time use effect. Perfect for the set.

The interaction with General is slightly worse than the interaction with a KC, so no issues there, although it may be worth an "if you did" wording. You could even flip the "if you did" wording so that you don't have to trash the card if the attack "misses", or to add a bit more choice. Eg:

+1 Action
Each other player reveals cards from his deck until he reveals one costing from $3 to $6. You may trash this. If you did, each other player trashes that card. He discards the untrashed cards. Gain a card trashed by another player, putting it in your hand.

So the card's a reverse sage attack (weak) until you find a card that you want (very likely).

At any rate you'll need to make sure the wording is clear that you can't gain the Takeover you just trashed, or else it's a deck nuker.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:22:14 pm by NoMoreFun »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.