Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fan Expansion: Ingenuity (temporary name)  (Read 13923 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Fan Expansion: Ingenuity (temporary name)
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:23:26 pm »

Since the expansion is not done yet, I will be posting cards as they come along. Ideas/Criticisms are welcome, pm me if you would like to help in the making of the cards, we need all the help we can get. Especially naming the cards.

The theme (I think) is if you do something, you get something.

After Testing, Here is the final version of Irrigated Land:

Irrigated Land
Cost: $4
Victory/Treasure
Worth $2/1vp
When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, draw one less card during your clean-up phase.

And here are all of the TEST versions of all the cards in the set so far:

Cannon
Cost: $5
Action/Attack
+ $1
Trash a card from your hand. Each player passes a card to the player on his left. Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand, then draws a card.

Abandoned Village
+ 1 card
+ 2 actions
----------
When any player gains a Victory card, you may set this aside. If you do, gain a Silver in hand. Return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Squire
Cost: $3
Action
+ 1 action
Reveal a Victory card from your hand. If you do, discard it, and + $2, + 1 buy.

Bath House
Action
+ 1 action
+ 1 buy
Trash up to three cards, + $1 if you trash at least 1 card.

Scholar
Action
+ 2 cards
+ 2 actions
Discard 1 or more cards. If you discard 3 or more cards, gain a Gold.

Fiddler
Cost: $2
Action
+ 1 card
+ 2 actions
Discard a card. You may reveal a Victory card from your hand. If you do, + $1

Banquet
Action
+3 cards
Discard 2 cards. Gain a Silver on top of your deck.

Archer
Action
+ 2 cards
+ 1 buy
+ $1

Protectorate

Cost: $5                                                        Cost: $4
Action/Victory                                                Victory
+ 1 card                                                ----  Worth 1 vp per Province in the Supply.
+ 1 action                                              OR    If the Province Supply is empty, 2 vp.
-----                                                    ----
Worth 1 vp per Protectorate in the Supply.

Miner
Action/Attack
You may trash a Silver from your hand.
If you do, each other player gains a curse.

Assassin
Action/Attack
+ $1
Put your deck into a discard pile. Each other player gains a curse.

Scribe
Action
+ 1 action
You may set aside a card from your hand. If you do, + 1 card, + $1.
Cards set aside this way are returned to your deck
or the Supply at the end of the game, your choice.

Prospector
Action
+ $2
You may trash this. If you do, + 1 card, + 1 action.
-----------------------------------------------------
Added some pictures, hopefully I will add the rest in later when I get around to making them.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:51:29 pm by Graystripe77 »

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Expansion: Ingenuity (temporary name)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:53:03 pm »

First, let's clean up the wording on these cards:

Action/Reaction
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
When another player gains a Victory card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it in your hand.

-----

Action/Attack
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Each other player gains a Gold and a Curse.

-----

As for my thoughts, the first could be interesting. The second, though, I don't really like. Giving other players a Gold is a pretty strong penalty, even for a Cursing attack. Plus, you only get an Action and a Buy out of it? No thanks. Perhaps a Silver and a Curse would be better, and even then I wouldn't want to buy this too often.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:25:43 pm »

Nice theme. I love the first card you proposed. Nice job.

The second one is weird. I was MISERABLE trying to come up with 4$ attacks. It's really hard. My humble suggestion is, something simpler where you gain a Gold, while your opponent gains a Gold and a Curse? It might have to trash itself to perform the attack. But I was terrible at designing 4$ attacks, so listen to the brighter minds in this forum, they'll lead you to a better place than I can.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:21:55 am »

Another card, this one is my personal favorite.

Irrigated Land
Treasure/Victory
Worth $1, and 1vp
When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$2

After a small amount of playtesting, so far I think it's a good card. Obvious synergies with + buys and Highway/Bridge, and it works well against cursing attacks. Even on boards with no + buy, it's not totally dead, but it is significantly weaker. I'll have to continue testing, but i think it's good for now, definitely not broken.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:11:08 pm by Graystripe77 »

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:38 am »

Another card, this one is my personal favorite.

Irrigated Land
Treasure/Victory
Worth $1, and 1vp

Well, you can basically replace an Estate early with this, turning it into a makeshift Copper. The +$2 bonus, though, would be absolutely useless without some +Buy on the board. Still, I like how you can lose an Estate right away, so this card is certainly worth testing.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »

I know it's not much yet, but can i at least get some more feedback?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 03:01:35 pm »

Can you say more about how you came up with the Attack card?

Here's my thinking: with a $4 card, I'm looking at something that will be bought early in the game, when revving up the economy is important so you can consistently get $5/$6 cards. I don't have much money yet, so a +Buy is rarely going to be useful unless the card gives additional cash. Woodcutter, which costs $3, is at least a terminal silver, whereas your attack doesn't even draw a card to give the possibility of more money with the spare action. What the attack does do is give my opponent a Gold (which will almost guarantee that he can purchase a $5 card next cycle, even if he draws it with the curse), but it does nothing to improve my own hand or my economy. I don't see that as a compelling card.

If you can explain how you came up with that card, it might help us understand how you see it functioning.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 03:04:22 pm »

Can you say more about how you came up with the Attack card?

Here's my thinking: with a $4 card, I'm looking at something that will be bought early in the game, when revving up the economy is important so you can consistently get $5/$6 cards. I don't have much money yet, so a +Buy is rarely going to be useful unless the card gives additional cash. Woodcutter, which costs $3, is at least a terminal silver, whereas your attack doesn't even draw a card to give the possibility of more money with the spare action. What the attack does do is give my opponent a Gold (which will almost guarantee that he can purchase a $5 card next cycle, even if he draws it with the curse), but it does nothing to improve my own hand or my economy. I don't see that as a compelling card.

If you can explain how you came up with that card, it might help us understand how you see it functioning.

Alright, I'll work on it, adding some text to the origins of the cards.

Edit: i'm gonna scrap that card anyways

Newcomer

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 06:59:25 pm »

I usually don't reply unless I feel like I have something meaningful to contribute, which is why I hadn't said anything yet. But I'll give it a go.

Action/Reaction
+1 card
+2 actions
When another player gains a Victory card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it in your hand.

This card is a vanilla village for most of the game, but late-game, the Reaction will start to kick in as your opponents green. At this stage in the game, there's a good chance you don't even play the Reaction part of the card. If the card has been useful up until now as an engine card, then you probably need them in your hand as a source of +Actions to get your deck moving. It all comes down to how strong your next card is likely to be. If you've built up a strong deck, then the next card you draw is likely to be comparable in value to a Silver, but the Silver gums up any action-chaining you're relying on. If you're not relying on action-chaining, then the village wasn't very useful up until this part of the game, and you were probably better off just buying Silver earlier.

I guess the crux of the argument is Silvers are more valuable in the early game, but, generally speaking, Victory cards are bought, and this card's Silver-gaining activates, later in the game. So, if I need a village, I'll take one, but the Reaction effect is subtle. I feel like in most cases keeping the village in your hand will be either a better option than using the Reaction, or they'll be pretty equivalent. I like the idea of a reaction to the gaining of a Victory card, but I'm not sure if this card does enough.

Here are two possible tweaks.

1) You could change it so that when any player (including you) gains a Victory card, you may discard it from your hand and gain a Silver. This way it makes the card useful when you get to the end of your turn and don't need to play the village; you just leave it in your hand, buy a Victory card, and voila, Silver. Unless you have +Buy, the "in your hand" part won't matter so much here, but it's still a benefit to yellow while you green. It also incentivizes greening a little earlier, though not so well as Hoard.

2) You could probably consider gaining a Gold instead, or maybe gaining a Treasure card costing up to the cost of the Victory card. So if someone buys a Duchy, it works the same way as now, but if they buy a Province you can put a Gold in hand. And in Colony games it would be very nice to gain a Platinum in hand once or twice.

I wouldn't say combine the two suggestions, at least without hiking up the price. But that's my take as I try to analyze how this card would work.

Action
Discard up to 4 cards
+2 cards per card discarded

This feels a little strong at first glance. Draw this and a really bad hand, and you can discard it for 8 new cards. Very powerful card-drawing power, and you're not obligated to discard any more than you want. I do like that it would produce some very interesting decisions. Do I discard 2 good cards, hoping to get something better back? This synergizes very well with Copper, and not so much with other Actions. Imagine, you draw this card with 4 Coppers, discard them, and draw 8 more. It's not that easy, but mix in a couple Silvers and knowing you can discard your Estates and clashing terminals, and that's pretty powerful.

To sum up, I think this needs a higher cost, but I like the card. I'd say $5 or $6, but I'm not sure.

Keep at it! This is a fun way to explore the game space of the Dominion world, and I'm sure there are more people reading (and enjoying) than commenting.

Oh, and it would probably help discussion to give your cards names, even if it's just a quick temporary label. That should make it a little easier to keep everything straight, especially as the set grows, and allows us to refer to multiple cards at once with clarity. :-)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 02:38:18 am »

Irrigated Land
Treasure/Victory
Worth $1, and 1vp

I personally like the idea. My main issues with it is that the +money is useless without +Buy. Also, it seems like you'd only use this to trash estates and curses. The trashed card has to be from your hand, so buying Irrigated Land to trash a copper means you forgo buying a $5 card to replace your copper with a copper that gives 1 VP. I agree it's definitely not broken, and that it's okay as is, but I would look to see if there's a way to make it slightly better. Maybe even something simple like making it give 2 VP instead of 1, assuming that doesn't make it too strong in games with +Buy.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 09:07:26 am »

I usually don't reply unless I feel like I have something meaningful to contribute, which is why I hadn't said anything yet. But I'll give it a go.

Action/Reaction
+1 card
+2 actions

This card is a vanilla village for most of the game, but late-game, the Reaction will start to kick in as your opponents green. At this stage in the game, there's a good chance you don't even play the Reaction part of the card. If the card has been useful up until now as an engine card, then you probably need them in your hand as a source of +Actions to get your deck moving. It all comes down to how strong your next card is likely to be. If you've built up a strong deck, then the next card you draw is likely to be comparable in value to a Silver, but the Silver gums up any action-chaining you're relying on. If you're not relying on action-chaining, then the village wasn't very useful up until this part of the game, and you were probably better off just buying Silver earlier.

I guess the crux of the argument is Silvers are more valuable in the early game, but, generally speaking, Victory cards are bought, and this card's Silver-gaining activates, later in the game. So, if I need a village, I'll take one, but the Reaction effect is subtle. I feel like in most cases keeping the village in your hand will be either a better option than using the Reaction, or they'll be pretty equivalent. I like the idea of a reaction to the gaining of a Victory card, but I'm not sure if this card does enough.

Here are two possible tweaks.

That's a great analysis, and I agree with your conclusions.  I have an alternate tweak to suggest, though, which is to use the Horse Traders' set-aside mechanic when the card is revealed.  Then you can't reveal it multiple times to a single (or multiple) events before your turn, but you don't lose the Village use of the card on your turn.  However, you have still increased the buying power of your turn by $2, at the cost of adding a Silver to your deck (which, as you've pointed out, is probably not a good thing by this point in the game).

Of course, it's possible that you're so far into the greening stage that your engine has sputtered out, in which case the Silver becomes a good thing to add to your deck.  But that's probably an extremely small window of time, as the game will probably end shortly thereafter.  So yeah, I kind of agree that gaining the Silver shouldn't come at the cost of the use of the Village on your turn.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:41:09 am »

Alright, I think I have a good amount of feedback. I'll start naming the cards:

Irrigated land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $1, 1vp
When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +1 vp (token)

Has already undergone some testing, and i feel it's a perfect fix for boards with no + buy.
----------
Abandoned Village
Action
When any player gains a Victory card, you may set aside this from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it in your hand. At the start of your next turn, return this card to your hand.

The card was a little weak, seems like all it needed was the horse traders effect paired with newcomer's 'Any player' idea, now, I just need to test some more.
----------
Action
Discard up to 4 cards
+2 cards per card discarded.
This card is scrapped, just put it up here to acknowledge that.

Newcomer

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:56:11 pm »

Abandoned Village
Action
When any player gains a Victory card, you may set aside this from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it in your hand. At the start of your next turn, return this card to your hand.

The card was a little weak, seems like all it needed was the horse traders effect paired with newcomer's 'Any player' idea, now, I just need to test some more.

I like rinkworks's suggested tweak for this card. There's one unusual effect to note, although it's not necessarily bad (I kind of like it). With the current wording, if you use the reaction on your own turn, then you set it aside and add it to your next hand. That's pretty neat, when it happens, as if you have an extra Abandoned Village in your hand but already have all the actions/money you need, you can save the Abandoned Village for next turn. This would in effect give you a 6-card hand. Just at the point in the game where you're greening and could use an extra card. It would also deflect hand-size attacks, since it wouldn't count as part of your hand when it was set aside. Militia gives you a 4-card hand, but then when your turn starts you pick up the Abandoned Village, play it, and now you're back to 5 cards with an extra action to boot. :-)

I don't think that's too strong an effect, by any means, since you need to skip playing it as your village in the current turn in order to use it as the reaction during your buy phase.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:08 am »
+1

Irrigated Land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $1/1vp
When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +1 vp (token)

Been tested in about 30 games now, and I feel it is a good and balanced card, still open to variants though.

Abandoned Village
Action
+ 1 card, + 2 actions
When any player gains a Victory card, you may set aside this from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it in your hand. At the start of your next turn, return this card to your hand

Same as the above card, been tested a lot, and is extremely useful in the greening stage.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:31:11 pm by Graystripe77 »

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 11:34:27 am »

Alternate victory cards are some of the funnest to design and test I find.

These are both really cool, well done!

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:38 am »

Ok, new cards:

Squire
Action
+ 1 card, + 1 Action
Reveal a Victory card from your hand. If you do, discard it, and
+ 1 card, + $1

Needed a weak cantrip card for the set, and this was the first choice.
----------
Bathhouse
Action
+ 1 buy, + 1 action
Trash up to 3 cards, + $1 per card trashed

A trash for benefit card my friend came up with.

Newcomer

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:11 pm »

Just to clarify, Abandoned Village still has the main village effect (+1 Card, +2 Actions), right?

Also, on Bathhouse, list the +1 Action before the +1 Buy to conform to Dominion syntax.

Don't have time for deep comments at the moment, but Bathhouse seems very nice. An upgraded Chapel, basically, and it doesn't completely die when the trashing's done. I don't mind the one fewer card at all, because Bathhouse's trashing turns can still be productive beyond the trashing.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »

Irrigated Land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $1/1vp

I'm weighing this against Bishop.  Thinking this through, Bishop does all of the same things, but whereas Irrigated Land can only do one trash and only gives you its flat 1 VP once, Bishop can do both things on each play, and it yields a greater number of VP tokens when trashing most cards.  Irrigated Land yields more VP on trashing Coppers and Curses, but you wouldn't want to get one early to do that (when trashing Coppers is most useful), because all you'd be doing is replacing one Copper with one Copper equivalent.  So Bishop is clearly the better early card.

Additionally, although Treasures are usually less problematic to have collide than terminal actions are, Bishops can always be used on other Bishops, while multiple Copper-level treasures is probably a bad hand.

But I guess Irrigated Land has two things going for it over Bishop:

1. The lack of an opportunity for every other player to do something.  That's pretty big, I guess.
2. The trash-for-VP effect takes place immediately, rather than when the card finally winds up in your hand.  That suggests it's best as an endgame card, when you want an immediate VP bump and won't be bothered by the then-weak card clogging up your deck.  The $1 treasure value, then, is ultimately not very interesting, because often the card will never be played.

These subtle differences suggest wildly different uses from Bishop, but I still wonder if the card is underpowered.  Seems to me you'd only want to buy one in the very last stages of the game and only then when you can't afford a Duchy, let alone a Province.  That late in the game, being able to trash a card might well be utterly useless to you, which means, in turn, that having to trash a card to realize the VP token benefit makes the card weaker.

Even earlier in the game, though, the trashing benefit is weaker than it normally would be, because you're not thinning your deck so much as replacing a bad card (mostly only Coppers, Estates, and Curses) with a slightly less bad card.

So I guess I'd want to look for a way to buff the card a bit; failing that, to try out a cost of $3.  But I'm curious to hear if my thoughts here are out of sync with your playtesting experience.  I could well believe they are.

Abandoned Village
Action
When any player gains a Victory card, you may set aside this from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it in your hand. At the start of your next turn, return this card to your hand

Same as the above card, been tested a lot, and is extremely useful in the greening stage.

(I'm assuming +1 Card, +2 Actions as the action component....)

This seems pretty cool.  My initial impulse was that this might be too strong for $4, but every line of reasoning I came up with fell short.  So yeah, I think this is probably just right, and I think it's a really interesting card, too.

Squire
Action
+ 1 card, + 1 Action
+ 1 card, + $1

This one feels a lot like Oasis.  Oasis is usually a cantrip with no effect in a hand without Victory cards, because you play it, discard a Copper, and wind up with the same amount of money you'd have had if you hadn't had the Oasis in the first place.  Squire is also a cantrip with no effect in a hand without Victory cards.

The differences:

1. Oasis also works with dead terminals and Curses.  Usually this is not a significant distinction.
2. Oasis is sometimes worse than a cantrip that does nothing, because if you have it in a hand without any useless cards AND without any Copper, you might have to discard a Silver or an action card to activate it.  The net benefit might well be negative, in which case you don't play it, and you're effectively playing with a 4-card hand.  Squire, by contrast, is never worse than a cantrip that does nothing.  Again, though, usually this is not a significant distinction.
3. Squire draws a card on success.  That's huge, especially since this is a non-terminal.

I'd say that if you got rid of the +1 Card on discarding a Victory card, then differences #1 and #2 would cancel each other out, and you'd have a balanced card at a cost of $3 (though insufficiently distinct from Oasis to be interesting).  As is, though, I think it's probably a $5 card.  Maybe a situational one, but in the right deck it's effectively money-earning Laboratory, though not one you can chain indefinitely.

Bathhouse
Action
+ 1 buy, + 1 action
Trash up to 3 cards, + $1 per card trashed

A trash for benefit card my friend came up with.

This one is spectacularly powerful.  Figure that although Chapel costs $2, it's competitive at $4 and maybe even $5.  Trashing one fewer card isn't that big a deal, since often you only trash 3 with Chapel anyway.  It's certainly a drawback, but compensating for that you have an action and a bunch of money, which remove Chapel's primary limitation:  namely, not being able to buy much of anything useful on a Chapel turn.  Pulling in a $3-$5 card on a Chapelesque Then, once you've slimmed down your deck all you want, it's not necessarily a dead card, as Chapel is, because you can always play it for the +Buy, which is exactly what you'll need in the deck you'll have wound up with.

Actually, the better comparison is not Chapel but Trading Post.  Trading Post is trash two cards and gain a Silver.  Here, you can trash three cards and gain a Silver (the +Buy gives you the extra buy you need), but the extra card doesn't HAVE to be a Silver, and you can lump the money together into a single purchase if you prefer, and you aren't required to trash any specific number of cards, and even if you only trash 1 or 2, you can probably still get the Silver if not better.  In other words, even if you removed the +1 Action, this card would be still wildly more powerful than Trading Post, which is a $5 card.

I think that without the +Action and +Buy, it would be an interesting $5 card.  Perhaps still too powerful, but worth testing to see, in any case.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:33:18 pm by rinkworks »

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 01:19:51 pm »

Alright, thanks rinkworks, and here is a possible Irrigated Land variant:

Irrigated Land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $1/1vp
When you buy this, + 1vp, you may trash a card from your hand.

You guys think this is better? Or should i keep the old one?

plasticbrain

• Salvager
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 01:28:12 pm »

nice cards Graystripe,

as far as Irrigated Land,
i think this could easily be worth +2, and drop the +1vp gain on trashing. being able to trash is enough without involving VP tokens.
as far as Abandoned Village,
first, it's an Action-Reaction, not just an Action. second, i disagree slightly with rinkworks on this. while i like that you can use it on yourself, i think that also makes it too powerful in its present iteration. late game, you could have multiple turns in a row where you're buying Victory cards and gaining a Silver each time. i'd drop the +1 Card from it altogether. this is a Reaction that's ging to get triggered alot.
as far as Squire,
i think this is too powerful. i agree with rinkworks on dropping the +1 Card on success.
and finally on Bathhouse,
i just don't like this card. too powerful anyway, but also, just... only appeals to certain strategies, and those strategies will win with it. kinda shuts other strategies out. am i'm making sense here?

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 01:48:05 pm »

nice cards Graystripe,

as far as Irrigated Land,
i think this could easily be worth +2, and drop the +1vp gain on trashing. being able to trash is enough without involving VP tokens.
as far as Abandoned Village,
first, it's an Action-Reaction, not just an Action. second, i disagree slightly with rinkworks on this. while i like that you can use it on yourself, i think that also makes it too powerful in its present iteration. late game, you could have multiple turns in a row where you're buying Victory cards and gaining a Silver each time. i'd drop the +1 Card from it altogether. this is a Reaction that's ging to get triggered alot.
as far as Squire,
i think this is too powerful. i agree with rinkworks on dropping the +1 Card on success.
and finally on Bathhouse,
i just don't like this card. too powerful anyway, but also, just... only appeals to certain strategies, and those strategies will win with it. kinda shuts other strategies out. am i'm making sense here?

All right, i've taken into consideration, and i will test each irrigated land variant:

Squire
Cost: $3 ($4?)
Action
+ 1 card, + 1 Action
+ 1 card, + $1

Bathhouse
Action
+ 1 buy, + 1 action
Trash up to 3 cards, + $1 if you trash at least one card.

Irrigated Land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $1/1vp
---------OR
Irrigated Land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $1/1vp
When you buy this, + 1vp, you may trash a card from your hand
---------OR
Irrigated Land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $2/1vp
When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand

Abandoned Village
Action/Reaction
+ 1 card, + 2 actions

plasticbrain

• Salvager
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 01:56:49 pm »

not to press, but i would at least take the +1 Action off Bathhouse, and revert Abandoned Village to "another player" instead of "any player."
and, yes, Squire should probably cost 4$ (although he's more of a Knight at that cost). or keep him at 3 and lose the +1 Card on success.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 02:42:27 pm »

first, it's an Action-Reaction, not just an Action. second, i disagree slightly with rinkworks on this. while i like that you can use it on yourself, i think that also makes it too powerful in its present iteration.

When you use it on yourself, it's akin to Hoard but quite vastly inferior.  Both provide $2 to spend that turn.  But Hoard lets you gain a Gold (which is dramatically better than Silver, of course) per Victory card you purchase that turn.  Abandoned Village lets you gain at most ONE Silver per turn, no matter how many Victory cards you buy (and it cannot be used for its Village functionality on any of your own turns where its Silver-gaining ability is used).  Considering all these things, I don't see how Abandoned Village could be that overpowered.

You have a point about the fact that it could be used every turn as being a critical point, which is indeed an advantage over Hoard.  But I dunno.  You can't gain a Silver out of it without also gaining a green card, which means your deck is brought closer to an average of just $1 per card:  insufficient even for a Province game, let alone a Colony game.  That means you'll slow the degradation of your deck during the greening stage, but it will absolutely still degrade.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 03:06:05 pm »
+1

Irrigated Land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $1/1vp

I preferred the other one, in that it triggers the second VP on the trashing. I liked it because in close games, it makes the acquisition possibly come at a price and that creates an interesting decision for the player. The original might be okay at 3$ as rink suggests. One advantage to it being 3$ is you can mine a copper into it (which is why I ask about gains later), then trash another copper.

But then again you tested it and you said it tested fine.

Really a lot of argument stops at that point. Testing proves just about everything. Opinions here, (however informed) aren't aware of how the card actually plays in your own kingdom and expansion. Trust your testing, truly, at some point you become as intimately familiar with your own expansion as you are with base set, and that makes you really good at assessing the cards, and you have data to back up the argument.

Also a card's value in any kingdom can be wrongly estimated, even the best players here adjusted their play (and valued cards differently) once they began to test Hinterlands thoroughly. Testing, is everything.

Also, the card can essentially trash a copy of itself. You lose a dollar by doing it, but you can keep your deck dense. I really like that. We play tested victory cards that gave you a cheap VP but could trash, (and therefore trash a copy of itself) and they tended to work. You tended to buy them early and then late. Early because the chances of drawing two were high enough, you could get rid of one, and then late when the additional VP really could tilt the game. This was especially true if an alternate-victory path was evident on the board. Irrigated Land works fairly well in a Gardens deck, or really any strategy where the key is blitz a 3-pile quickly and win without acquiring a lot of Provinces. Sure the card trashes (not what you want in Gardens), but it never subtracts the entire hand and you've added +2VP along the way.

IL gives you +1$, so it can still enable middle-road purchasing. You want it when the precise goal is NOT Provinces, but some other tactic...and the card in the kingdom helps enable the possibility of an alternate-victory route. That's called synergy and it tends to make games quite interesting. It would work outstandingly well when coupled with my expansion, because my whole goofy expansion is designed around winning with just $4 and 5$ in your hand and doing so quickly. It's so good for that in fact, I am tempted to steal the damn thing and test it. :)

My one question is:

Why only trigger it on the buy? Why not gaining? Seems to me this is the exact kind of card you might acquire via an alternate route of acquisition (see my note on Mine up top).

Take my notes with a grain of salt of course, I am a terrible player and don't have a lot of experience, but wanted to weigh in on the topic anyway!

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 04:02:52 pm »

Irrigated Land
Victory/Treasure
Worth $1/1vp

I preferred the other one, in that it triggers the second VP on the trashing. I liked it because in close games, it makes the acquisition possibly come at a price and that creates an interesting decision for the player. The original might be okay at 3$ as rink suggests. One advantage to it being 3$ is you can mine a copper into it (which is why I ask about gains later), then trash another copper.

But then again you tested it and you said it tested fine.

Really a lot of argument stops at that point. Testing proves just about everything. Opinions here, (however informed) aren't aware of how the card actually plays in your own kingdom and expansion. Trust your testing, truly, at some point you become as intimately familiar with your own expansion as you are with base set, and that makes you really good at assessing the cards, and you have data to back up the argument.

Also a card's value in any kingdom can be wrongly estimated, even the best players here adjusted their play (and valued cards differently) once they began to test Hinterlands thoroughly. Testing, is everything.

Also, the card can essentially trash a copy of itself. You lose a dollar by doing it, but you can keep your deck dense. I really like that. We play tested victory cards that gave you a cheap VP but could trash, (and therefore trash a copy of itself) and they tended to work. You tended to buy them early and then late. Early because the chances of drawing two were high enough, you could get rid of one, and then late when the additional VP really could tilt the game. This was especially true if an alternate-victory path was evident on the board. Irrigated Land works fairly well in a Gardens deck, or really any strategy where the key is blitz a 3-pile quickly and win without acquiring a lot of Provinces. Sure the card trashes (not what you want in Gardens), but it never subtracts the entire hand and you've added +2VP along the way.

IL gives you +1$, so it can still enable middle-road purchasing. You want it when the precise goal is NOT Provinces, but some other tactic...and the card in the kingdom helps enable the possibility of an alternate-victory route. That's called synergy and it tends to make games quite interesting. It would work outstandingly well when coupled with my expansion, because my whole goofy expansion is designed around winning with just $4 and 5$ in your hand and doing so quickly. It's so good for that in fact, I am tempted to steal the damn thing and test it. :)

My one question is:

Why only trigger it on the buy? Why not gaining? Seems to me this is the exact kind of card you might acquire via an alternate route of acquisition (see my note on Mine up top).

Take my notes with a grain of salt of course, I am a terrible player and don't have a lot of experience, but wanted to weigh in on the topic anyway!

When it triggered on the gain, it was insanely broken on some boards, so that's the reason. Thanks for the input, and I am still going to test each good variant to see which one has more synergy.

If you want, I could always use help in testing, in exchange for giving me some practice games for the upcoming tournament. So go ahead and try the card if you'd like, just message me the results if you do.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.263 seconds with 21 queries.