Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXII: Dynasty Warriors Mafia  (Read 95532 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXII: Dynasty Warriors Mafia
« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2013, 01:46:45 pm »

Not being interested in theory or math is pretty bad in this case, Robz. Ash's claim is pretty darn towny.

Oh,I agree! But I don't like Day 1 claiming. He must be punished.

...Even when it makes sense?  Vote: Robz888, and this isn't as much RVS as before.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2013, 01:54:43 pm »

This thread is getting large.  Shouldn't we be moving forward by now?  Admittedly, I've been hindering that myself (partially due to ongoing games, and kind of being checked out of scumhunting atm).  I'm going to try to undo this.

So, there was this thing, where sudgy was found scummy for being kind of ridiculous.  Okay, reread yuma's reasoning, so basically, he's forcing RVS to get out of a bad situation...The fact that ash and sudgy had similar reasoning is kind of funny (i.e. sudgy is trying to play like ash).  I wish people wouldn't try to play like ash...one ash is enough.  I'll keep an eye out.

Are there any other actual case/conversation things going on?  I think Xerxes is voting seriously (presumably not when he voted Voltaire, but his vote on TA looks serious)  It seems odd though...in particular it's taking sudgy's "side" in an "argument" when even sudgy doesn't take his own side in that argument.  He chooses TA out of ash, TA, and yuma (and arguably Eevee, if he read all the way through).  If this were getting to the point of town actually lynching people I would actually be suspicious of someone here.  But I'm doubting that a sudgy lynch could go through here, so scum has no strong reason to support the wagon (IMO).

OTOH that hit 4 votes kind of fast.  Is that normal?  I'm used to a slower build-up.

Okay, so that's part of the same thing.

Oh, I'm going to unvote  Robz seems able to get enough suspicion without my random vote there.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2013, 08:10:27 pm »

If we assume a vig, by the way, that would put us at 1/3 chance for SK and definite Goon+RB+Godfather scumteam (looking at C9++ setup).

As before, just because it's 1 of 3 possibilities does not make it a 1/3 chance.  It's still exactly a 50% chance.

I think this is faulty.  There is a 50% chance an SK is in any given game of C9++.

Once rolled, there either is 100% or 0% as far as the other players in a specific game are concerned.  Then, in that specific game, based on a set of specific letters, the chance there is an SK can be determined.

It starts out at 50% because we have no letters.  But as letters appear, we can rule out certain set ups, changing the percentage chance of an SK in this specific game.

So 2/5 or whatever I had said previously is correct.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 11, 2013, 08:11:17 pm »

Someone claimed soemthing, I here? I can't figure out what...

Can't tell if you're serious or not. Ash claimed 1-shot Doc.
'

I'm serious, I saw it being discussed, but couldn't find the initial post.

Well vote: Ash then.

vote: Robz

Wont' be around much today, grumpy baby and tired dad...

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2013, 10:13:04 pm »

A 1-shot Vig shooting on N1 does not cause any confusion. 3 kills N1? SK in game. 2 kills N1? The Vig claims on D2. 1 kill N1? We've got some darn good Doctors, and who knows?

The point is, a 1 shot Vig in no way needs to pre-claim. All that does is let a potential SK know if he needs to fire or not. If he withholds N1 because he knows a 1 shot Vig will fire, he can frame that player by then shooting N2 and beyond (or at the very least, cast suspicion on that player).

FoS at anybody who pre-announced what they would do as a one shot vigilante. Stop giving potential SK's more information.

sorry, but this isn't quite true... three kills could be one-shot vig and vig (unlikely, but if we have 3 kills we have to consider it until proven otherwise).

And as for the vig claiming... well sure the vig can claim? But do we believe them? Or are they SK claiming vig? I agree that is risky play for SK, but certainly within the realm of possibilities and something we have to consider.

and again, if the end result of this idea was that the SK decides not to shoot... That isn't bad. That is awesome! Yes, we don't get the information, but it is like a town roleblocker! Why is that a bad thing?

All my idea wants is to create a scenario where town gets the most information it possibly can. From what I can tell the only downsides are 1. that a vig doesn't shoot night1 (but is that really a downside? Some apparently thinks it is, I disagree, I think it is middling as night1 shots I think are around 50/50 in terms of hurting/helping town) 2. that it is manipulatable by a SK not shooting and we don't get information (oh, darn, the SK didn't shoot... there was only 1 Night kill, what a horrible night!) 3. it can be manipulatable by town docs or roleblockers and we don't get information (oh, darn, there was only 1 NK, what a horrible night!)

Hopefully this will be my last post about this. I keep telling myself to not talk about it further, but then I keep seeing things that I disagree with and want to talk about. I think this is a good idea, obviously others disagree and I am probably not convincing anyone, but maybe there is a chance?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 11, 2013, 10:22:30 pm »

I thought the wagon on TA was still RVS too...

why would you think this?

my vote:

I just think that a vig should make this decision for themselves. They would have more information, and would be able to make a more informed decision.

Still scummy.

To clarify, they don't have more information, and I do agree with anti-vig folks that the risk/reward scenario generally favors anti-town folks, so scum will make arguments like TA's to not discourage while not encouraging Vigs.

is something of a sheep of ashersky's explanation. My vote is obviously not a joke and ash's analysis is very serious in tone

vote: ta

ash's vote:
Ok, we are talking about different things here. I am talking about the Vig individually having more knowledge of the setup, while you are talking about all of us having more knowledge (ie on the existence of a SK). I agree that your plan will let us know the existence of a SK, but I honestly think we will know that sooner or later. There's also the possibilities of a kill getting blocked, doctored, etc., so we wouldn't know for certain, so the plan isn't good.

Odds are, there won't be a vig shot, given the community census about N1 vig shots. But I don't think we should completely take that option away from the vig. The vig will know better on whether or not he should shoot N1 than we will, especially this early in the day.

But why would set-up knowledge help th vig when he's deciding who to kill?  That's the fallacy of your argument, and continuing to push it is scummy.

vote: TA if I wasn't already.

ash's vote here is obviously not RVS either, it continues on the line of thought that he had previously (mentioned above) and is of a serious nature...

neither are RVS at all....

I still don't like Robz's stance on ashersky. But I think I am more inclined to vote for sudgy. vote: sudgy Theorel, this is a real wagon, sometimes you can get a wagon on someone pretty early in a game. Winterspartan in Samuri's and Ninjas for example...

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 11, 2013, 11:02:02 pm »

I just checked out Samurai's and Ninjas.  And winterspartan's lynch-wagon looks like it started on April 14, while game started April 6 (was there an early wagon I missed maybe?)  I'm maybe being misunderstood or misunderstanding.

sudgy went to 4 votes, essentially as the first item to happen coming out of RVS.  (I guess there was the TwistedArcher thing before that)...And we're like 2 days into the game, right?  That just seems quick to hit 4 votes in a 13-player game.  I don't think this wagon is heading towards a lynch, it's too early.  If this started heading towards a lynch, people would probably oppose it (I would...I think there's more info to get out of day1 if we don't lynch the very first player that does anything scummy right away).  I think that's normal though.  I'm wondering if it should be analyzed differently in light of that.

If a wagon builds up quickly towards a lynch, then we look at players that are building it with some suspicion, because it looks like they may be trying to quicken a mislynch.  Mid-day wagons look like this.  They work a lot like end-day wagons, except sometimes you can back off the wagon, see the target as townie, and analyze the wagon as such.
Early-day wagons are a bit of a different beast.  No one is reasonably going to push an early-wagon to a premature day end...I just don't see the majority of a town going along with it (outside of something really apparent). 

So, how might scum be trying to manipulate such a wagon?  Would they vote for it?  Push against it because, hey town should oppose this quick lynch?  Be ambivalent towards it?  Hmm..probably depends on the player.  Pushing against it though seems like a good way to "look townie", really regardless of the alignment of the target.  It's an early wagon, there are probably misunderstandings, and the lynch probably won't go through.  It's maybe not as obvious as the constant town-read scum-guy, but something of a derivative of the same sort.  Now, it's worth noting that it looks like something town would do, because town would do it.  It's not automatic scum-read or anything, just some thoughts on where it seems likely to find scum in this situation.  I'm wondering if that stance might be a good starting place to try to find scum?  I dunno, I'll try to look over it sometime, although I won't probably be around a lot this weekend.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 11, 2013, 11:05:50 pm »

I just checked out Samurai's and Ninjas.  And winterspartan's lynch-wagon looks like it started on April 14, while game started April 6 (was there an early wagon I missed maybe?)  I'm maybe being misunderstood or misunderstanding.

sudgy went to 4 votes, essentially as the first item to happen coming out of RVS.  (I guess there was the TwistedArcher thing before that)...And we're like 2 days into the game, right?  That just seems quick to hit 4 votes in a 13-player game.  I don't think this wagon is heading towards a lynch, it's too early.  If this started heading towards a lynch, people would probably oppose it (I would...I think there's more info to get out of day1 if we don't lynch the very first player that does anything scummy right away).  I think that's normal though.  I'm wondering if it should be analyzed differently in light of that.

If a wagon builds up quickly towards a lynch, then we look at players that are building it with some suspicion, because it looks like they may be trying to quicken a mislynch.  Mid-day wagons look like this.  They work a lot like end-day wagons, except sometimes you can back off the wagon, see the target as townie, and analyze the wagon as such.
Early-day wagons are a bit of a different beast.  No one is reasonably going to push an early-wagon to a premature day end...I just don't see the majority of a town going along with it (outside of something really apparent). 

So, how might scum be trying to manipulate such a wagon?  Would they vote for it?  Push against it because, hey town should oppose this quick lynch?  Be ambivalent towards it?  Hmm..probably depends on the player.  Pushing against it though seems like a good way to "look townie", really regardless of the alignment of the target.  It's an early wagon, there are probably misunderstandings, and the lynch probably won't go through.  It's maybe not as obvious as the constant town-read scum-guy, but something of a derivative of the same sort.  Now, it's worth noting that it looks like something town would do, because town would do it.  It's not automatic scum-read or anything, just some thoughts on where it seems likely to find scum in this situation.  I'm wondering if that stance might be a good starting place to try to find scum?  I dunno, I'll try to look over it sometime, although I won't probably be around a lot this weekend.

I think early wagons are for interactions.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2013, 10:16:50 am »

Vote: xerxes, haven't stopped suspecting sudgy either.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2013, 07:06:33 pm »

You are right about WinterSpartan, I misremembered. I should have double checked what I myself was referencing.

But I don't think that negates my point. Just because it is an early wagon doesn't make it invalid. It might be heading toward a lynch, it might not. I think it is faulty to view a wagon in that way. The way I look at wagons, especially day1, is to see where they go. If they continue to build, if the player continues to act suspicious or other players notice suspicious things about the player it will grow and develop and progress toward a lynch. If the player responds in a townie manner or if other players start acting more suspicious it will die off and not progress towards a lynch. But to say outright before that opportunity presents itself that you "don't think this wagon is heading towards a lynch, it's too early" removes that possibility. Organically the wagon will develop or it will die, but saying that it has no chance of growing kills it off artificially before we have a chance to see where it goes I think. Am I making sense?

Basically what I am saying is don't dismiss the case before it has an opportunity to become a case. Dismissing it before it even has a chance prevents us from seeing what it has the potential to become. Maybe that is nothing, maybe it is something, but I for one want to see it. Hence my vote.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2013, 10:35:49 pm »

Robz, why did you vote for ash?  His claim makes quite a bit of sense, so you don't need to vote him over it.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 13, 2013, 08:08:37 am »

Day 1 ends on October, 19 at 8:00 p.m. Forum time.

Galz, Day ends in a week, on a Sunday. Might I suggest a soft deadline to prevent us from stalling out over the weekend and not getting a lynch?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 13, 2013, 08:15:27 am »

Galz, Day ends in a week, on a Sunday. Might I suggest a soft deadline to prevent us from stalling out over the weekend and not getting a lynch?

Is Galz playing?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2013, 08:19:21 am »

13. Galzria - Yuan Shao, the Innocent Child

he is only our IC...

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 13, 2013, 09:48:05 am »

Vote Count 1.3:

Robz888 (1): Yuma
Voltaire (1): Chairs
Chairs (1): Voltaire
Theorel (2): Robz888, Mail-mi
Sudgy (2): Twistedarcher, Ashersky
Nkirbit (1): Sudgy
XerxesPraelor (1): Eevee
Twistedarcher (1): XerxesPraelor

Not Voting (6): Galzria, Nkirbit, Theorel

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:03:20 pm by mcmcsalot »
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 13, 2013, 10:38:55 am »

I agree, we should set a soft deadline.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2013, 11:18:52 am »

That would be a Saturday, but I still don't like it, so yes. soft Deadline on Friday, 8:00 pm
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 13, 2013, 03:41:22 pm »

That would be a Saturday, but I still don't like it, so yes. soft Deadline on Friday, 8:00 pm

I would suggest Thursday, because if we don't get it by then, it will be really hard to.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 13, 2013, 04:20:10 pm »

You are right about WinterSpartan, I misremembered. I should have double checked what I myself was referencing.

But I don't think that negates my point. Just because it is an early wagon doesn't make it invalid. It might be heading toward a lynch, it might not. I think it is faulty to view a wagon in that way. The way I look at wagons, especially day1, is to see where they go. If they continue to build, if the player continues to act suspicious or other players notice suspicious things about the player it will grow and develop and progress toward a lynch. If the player responds in a townie manner or if other players start acting more suspicious it will die off and not progress towards a lynch. But to say outright before that opportunity presents itself that you "don't think this wagon is heading towards a lynch, it's too early" removes that possibility. Organically the wagon will develop or it will die, but saying that it has no chance of growing kills it off artificially before we have a chance to see where it goes I think. Am I making sense?

Basically what I am saying is don't dismiss the case before it has an opportunity to become a case. Dismissing it before it even has a chance prevents us from seeing what it has the potential to become. Maybe that is nothing, maybe it is something, but I for one want to see it. Hence my vote.

I think I essentially disagree with your viewpoint on day1 wagons?  Not sure, I do, but my view of day1 wagons is much more about other players, and very little about the potential lynch.  I always vote day1 to gain information.  Sometimes I'm also voting to lynch.  It's important to at least sometimes want to lynch someone, because otherwise my votes are not genuine, and scum can ignore them.  I'll note that I'm always willing to lynch the target also, because it's day1.  I want to see what sort of reactions develop to a wagon that's starting up.  Some people join the wagon, some people defend the accused, some people ignore it.  Ideally some of those reactions will be alignment tells.  Those alignment tells largely come from the fact that this wagon might lead to a lynch.  Depending on size, speed of growth, closeness to deadline, and strength of arguments against the player, we can guess how likely the wagon is to lead to a lynch. 

Now, scum has 3 major operating principals to my mind regarding wagons: 1. appear like a town-person, 2. arrange a non-scum player to be lynched, 3. enhance suspicion on non-scum players.  I think those are all dependent on how viable the wagon is to lead to a lynch.

A wagon this early in the game, has inherently weak arguments and is far from deadline.  Both of those things make the wagon unlikely to lead to a lynch.  It will probably die on its own.  This is important, because scum knows this, and their reactions to the wagon are going to depend on that information.  Bussing is inherently safe at this point, because chances are wagon's not leading to a lynch.  At the same time, trying to push the wagon to a lynch, might look suspicious, so they'll probably want to avoid that.  I dunno exactly what to look for as "scum activity" regarding this wagon. 

I would argue that it's inherently different from scum activity towards a wagon that's likely to lead to a lynch.  Where they can push it past the brink with little suspicion on town.  Or where they have to really decide whether to defend someone that looks suspicious (town or scum-buddy).

Now, it could be that sudgy keeps acting scummy, and this leads to a lynch.  Sure, but I think it's very unlikely, and I think scum knows that, and so I think scum will react differently than they will at the end of the day when lynch is likely, and I think that's important enough to state it explicitly.  Hopefully, I'll have some time to do so tonight.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2013, 04:21:12 pm »

*Hopefully, I'll have time to look into the behavior around the sudgy wagon tonight*  (Edited out stuff about spending time with family, as irrelevant, but I lost the antecedent)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2013, 05:25:19 pm »

Theorel, I honestly don't know what point you are trying to make. Can you summarize it in a couple of sentences?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2013, 09:24:32 pm »

I think I essentially disagree with your viewpoint on day1 wagons?  Not sure, I do, but my view of day1 wagons is much more about other players, and very little about the potential lynch.

Yes, we disagree. I'll worry about the other players either after the wagon has died or day2 after the lynch. I don't think you way is bad or incorrect or anything, but certainly isn't my way. And I guess my point is to say if you let me do my thing, I'll let you do yours. I think sudgy has been acting scummy, don't give him an escape by saying he won't get lynched so he no longer feels the pressure and the need to respond.

But I am interested to see what you find in your analysis.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2013, 09:28:46 pm »

I'll try...here's a summary:
One of the few interaction non-theory type thingies that's happened in this thread is sudgy's wagon.  I wonder if there are any scum interactions to glean from it?  What should I be looking for?
Supposition 1: that wagon was not going to lead directly to a lynch.  (maybe later in the day, but not before more "stuff" happens)
Supposition 2: The "townie" thing to do was oppose it for growing too fast.
Conclusion: The simplest thing for scum to do for town-cred would be to oppose it, and this wouldn't "cost" them anything (if it were a town-lynch...normally opposing a town-lynch has the cost of an increased likelihood of a scum lynch)

Leads to Question: Did anyone oppose it in a way that looked scummy?

Anyways, I'm actually going to go look now...

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2013, 09:30:29 pm »

Leads to Question: Did anyone oppose it in a way that looked scummy?

Did you?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 13, 2013, 09:57:46 pm »

Post count... not taking out pregame cause i am lazy...

1. Eevee - 11
2. Robz888 - 14
3. Ashersky - 37
4. Voltaire - 21
5. Yuma - 43
6. Twistedarcher - 24
7. Theorel - 17
8. Sudgy - 22
9. Mail-Mi - 16
10. Chairs - 10
11. Nkirbit - 17
12. Xerses - 6
13. Galzria - Yuan Shao, the Innocent Child - 12
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42  All

Page created in 3.27 seconds with 20 queries.