Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Mafia Game Category Standards  (Read 14110 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Category Standards
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2013, 01:47:14 am »

If, in the future, MXXXI would not be in normal games, that would be all I need.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2013, 04:31:48 am »

I think it's extremely heteronormative to be labeling these games in this fashion. Role madness is a spectrum, not a binary, and these games should be free to discover who they are for themselves, without the burdens of societal expectations pressing down on them. Do you know how psychologically damaging it is for a game to be told it's not "normal"?
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2013, 11:08:20 am »

I'm not caught up.  I worked over the weekend to try to classify our historical "normal" queue games according to the rubrics we're discussing.  It's an interesting exercise that isn't yet complete, but hopefully will be tonight.  (For example, I never thought about this before, but did you realize that all of our Newbie games are Semi-Open?  Both 2of4 and Matrix fall in that category.)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2013, 11:11:26 am »

Any thoughts on the split queue idea?

I haven't thought deeply about it but I like it as a concept.  Personally, I think the key criterion for distinguishing between the queues is "open" vs. "closed," rather than "standard" vs. "invented." 

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2013, 11:17:15 am »

I truly think splitting cues isn't needed, just clearer communication by mods going into signups. We've hashed out pretty good definitions we can all agree to use to classify our games. I say we keep using our normal, RMM, and BM queues, but simply that each game is labeled as "invented whatever" going into signups.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2013, 11:22:04 am »

Any thoughts on the split queue idea?

I haven't thought deeply about it but I like it as a concept.  Personally, I think the key criterion for distinguishing between the queues is "open" vs. "closed," rather than "standard" vs. "invented."

I think a large part of it is needing to distinguish between closed games. Open games don't really matter from a signing up player's point of view - you know exactly what you're going to get. Whereas different categories of closed games might appeal more or less to different players at different times.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »

We should no longer use the term "role madness" at all. It never properly described the games that it covered, and "how many roles there are" isn't the key piece of information we want to convey.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »

Role Mafia, then?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2013, 06:04:36 pm »

I think they should be considered "Madness" games. Like, take Jimmmmm's game. It's certainly a RMM game, but it had VTs. And Major Arcana II was pure madness, but it was listed as normal. So I don't think their should be a split in the queue, but I think that mods should tell the players what to expect.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2013, 07:02:08 pm »

I think they should be considered "Madness" games. Like, take Jimmmmm's game. It's certainly a RMM game, but it had VTs. And Major Arcana II was pure madness, but it was listed as normal. So I don't think there should be a split in the queue, but I think that mods should tell the players what to expect.

again telling players what to expect is all well and good (I am all for it) but from my vantage point in regard to the stats--Sorry about constantly harping about the stats... but I feel like I need to speak up for it if we are going to continue it--we need to be able to differentiate between games that are stat appropriate and those that aren't and I think different queues are the best way to do that.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2013, 10:35:02 pm »

Over in the mafia queue, I redid the normal queue with guesses and such, in italics and small text, right under the actual queue, just to see how it would look.  Take a look and say here what you think.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9677.msg308501#msg308501

Remember, the idea is one from each set would be running and open for sign-ups, and numbers just get assigned as we go.  If standard goes faster, no big deal.  We still keep RMM as a separate category for inventive, untested, or just out there games.  A few of the RMM games would probably shift to Invented normal, though.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2013, 01:23:01 am »

Over in the mafia queue, I redid the normal queue with guesses and such, in italics and small text, right under the actual queue, just to see how it would look.  Take a look and say here what you think.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9677.msg308501#msg308501

Remember, the idea is one from each set would be running and open for sign-ups, and numbers just get assigned as we go.  If standard goes faster, no big deal.  We still keep RMM as a separate category for inventive, untested, or just out there games.  A few of the RMM games would probably shift to Invented normal, though.

So, for example, with the updated queues, I'd say that Tables's Avalon Mafia should open next, to get an invented game out there.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.