Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Advisor + Bank  (Read 1666 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Combo: Advisor + Bank
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:45:29 pm »

What is Advisor most likely to give you?  Lots of Coppers.  What makes use of lots of Coppers?  Bank.  Just get lots of Advisors and lots of Banks.  A Margrave in there won't hurt.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130910/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1378831427251.txt
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Advisor + Bank
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:56:09 pm »
+8

I'm not sure how great of a combo that is.  If Advisor flips your bank, you are in pretty rough shape.  Typically Advisor is good in a uniform deck, and bad when you need key cards.  With Bank Coppers become better which helps but you really need to start with a Bank in hand. 

You didn't get a province until turn 15.  I would imagine BM Margrave would get roughly 4 Provinces by T15.  I think Bank+Envoy would be stronger than Bank+Advisor; terminal draw gets you a lot more for your money when you just want treasure cards in your hand.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:25:32 am »
+2

I am very sure this is not a combo at all. Advisor and bank are 4$ and 7$, these are not things you "just" get "lots of" in a BM game. I'd say that BMU is competitive to this.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:17:34 pm »
+1

I imagine it's going to stall really hard when you green, too.

I think there are three kinds of deck where Advisor is good:
1) Strongly-trashed decks which have no junk now, and won't have any later - decks which only generate VP chips, save up coin tokens for a mega-spend, or some other game-ending megaturn - or perhaps play lots of trashing attacks so that the opponent's deck will at least be worse than a deck full of Advisors.
2) Decks where you don't care what you draw - some cards want big hands and don't care what's in them, like Cellar or Storeroom - these have to be cheap cards, or you'll only have one or two copies, and they'll get discarded.
3) Decks with a very high proportion of cantrips, none of which are particularly more important than any other.

I think you're trying to go for the 2nd type with this, but it has two problems - firstly, you are going to have so few Banks that you will reliably not draw them, and secondly, Bank does care about what's in your hand - it wants it to be yellow, not green.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:16:03 pm »
+2

There is some positive interaction between Advisor and Bank, in that Advisor increases handsize, which is good for Bank. But it's not good for BM. Even Lab isn't good for BM. On this particular board, I would probably go for TR/Advisor/Spy/Margrave/Bank with a Noble Brigand for a third attack. You might have to watch out for a BM player ending the game on piles, but his deck is going to stall hardcore to the triple attack, and with so much draw and Banks, turns where you buy half the stack of Fairgrounds/Provinces at once should be more than doable.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.