Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Strategy Videos for every card?  (Read 14844 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Strategy Videos for every card?
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:23 am »

Well, for Hunting Grounds in particular, I'd probably start with "it's terminal draw" as a starting place without repeating much from the Smithy video, but then go into the implications of the higher cost, and discuss the on-trash effect and its uses - when you'd take the Estates and things like that.

That sounds good. I'd sort of be interested in seeing that one next rather than one from a different category, but I'm just one person who probably won't be able to help very much other than to help come up with ideas and talk about it, so yeah...
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 08:39:19 am »

Well, for Hunting Grounds in particular, I'd probably start with "it's terminal draw" as a starting place without repeating much from the Smithy video, but then go into the implications of the higher cost, and discuss the on-trash effect and its uses - when you'd take the Estates and things like that.

That sounds good. I'd sort of be interested in seeing that one next rather than one from a different category, but I'm just one person who probably won't be able to help very much other than to help come up with ideas and talk about it, so yeah...

This will go easier if I get footage from others, rather than having to do it all myself.  How about I post the script I've written for each video, and people can propose changes, and start filming footage.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 10:31:44 am »
+2

That seems really nice.

A few things I'd suggest:

Echoing what others have said about game speed. I'd play on Normal, heck maybe even slow, for a few of the super basic cards, then turn it up as we move on and know what everything means.

Each bit of footage seems very short. Like a know there's not a lot you can do when the footage is, play smithy, buy card, but maybe you could wait 1/2 a second to a second between each action - play village, wait, play Smithy, wait, play smithy, wait, buy gold. Makes it much clearer what is going on.

In addition, I'm not sure how I feel about you advertising the village+smithy engine. I mean, sure it technically is the simplest thing you can play, but it's also worse than Smithy+BM without any support (IIRC). I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say, it just kind of feels a little misleading I guess?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 10:48:09 am »

So when I hear the voice I imagine that the dungeon master in The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is narrating.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 10:51:50 am »

My main criticism of the Smithy video is that it does not touch on shuffle control.  There are a lot of situations where you should not play a Terminal Draw card--if you have needed Golds in your hand (assuming Smithy BM) that would miss the shuffle because of playing Smithy, or if you are in a mid-game situation where having the Smithy miss the shuffle would be a problem, for instance.   

I like the format.  I considering doing something similar a long time ago but got a bit spooked by the time investment. (and my lack of knowledge compared to better players) 

One issue I see with a video guide is that it's not easy to modify should new strategies be discovered or new data suggest using cards in a different way.  Like, how well did people understand Rebuild right after Dark Ages came out?  Not very.  If you put up a video, it's 'permanent' unless you go through the trouble of shooting it all over again, whereas a wiki page can be modified on the fly.  The videos are more fun to watch, though.  Bit of a trade-off there.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:44 am »

In addition, I'm not sure how I feel about you advertising the village+smithy engine. I mean, sure it technically is the simplest thing you can play, but it's also worse than Smithy+BM without any support (IIRC). I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say, it just kind of feels a little misleading I guess?

FWIW, whenever I'm teaching the game, I address the Village+Smithy engine early and talk very harshly about it. I say it's not worth it because of dead draw and lack of economy and only at the very end of explaining it do I say something like "This kind of thing can work but it needs a lot of support and it's difficult to play right. It's just the way I choose to teach it, though, and you can do what you want.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 10:59:28 am »

Judging from the video, this is intended for beginners.  I think the level of depth is perfect for that purpose.  I would consider shuffle control, particularly for Smithy, to be more of an advanced topic.  I would have liked to see more warning against buying too many terminals, since that is a common error which is especially pronounced for terminal draw like Smithy.
Well you *do* need a signature...

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 11:03:30 am »
+2

Judging from the video, this is intended for beginners.  I think the level of depth is perfect for that purpose.  I would consider shuffle control, particularly for Smithy, to be more of an advanced topic.  I would have liked to see more warning against buying too many terminals, since that is a common error which is especially pronounced for terminal draw like Smithy.
While shuffle control could be construed as an 'advanced' subject (it's much easier to notice in IRL play), I would counter argue that Smithy is the most basic card to use in understanding the concept.  On idea is to have an "Advanced Tip" section at the end of each video that goes in to some concept beyond the immediate idea of using the card.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 11:20:33 am »
+5

So what I'm getting out of this is you all mainly like the idea, but the Smithy video should be redone a little?  That's understandable - it really is just a rough thing I cobbled together.  AdamH, jsh, if you'd like to write up something for me to add to the script about the topics you've brought up, or if anyone would like to retake some footage (please in .avi or .wmv format, my movie-making program can't handle .mp4s), that would be awesome.

By the way, none of you have asked this, but the music is my own composition.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 11:45:21 am »
+2

I did think the music was quite fitting, nicely done!
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 12:03:17 pm »
+1

I wonder if the whole Village/Smithy part is better suited for the Village video instead of this. The part where you say "there are ways around playing more than one terminal in a turn, but more on that later" you could just refer to the Village video, and talk about engines there?

In my video tutorial, I made an entire video about getting too many terminals, and I think Smithy is the place to show that. Your style is obviously different than mine so you'll want to word it differently.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:09 pm »

I wonder if the whole Village/Smithy part is better suited for the Village video instead of this. The part where you say "there are ways around playing more than one terminal in a turn, but more on that later" you could just refer to the Village video, and talk about engines there?

In my video tutorial, I made an entire video about getting too many terminals, and I think Smithy is the place to show that. Your style is obviously different than mine so you'll want to word it differently.

Good point.  So how about just a discussion of Smithy-BM, then an "advanced tips" section on shuffle control?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 12:11:56 pm »

I like that idea. Keeps the first video short and concise.

Edit: I'm going to start recording some more Smithy footage for use. Let me know what the easiest way to send it to you will be (firstly how to send it and secondly what format - I can do MP4 very easily or can convert it to wlmp or wmv with a little more work)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:14:01 pm by Tables »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 12:28:21 pm »
+1

I like that idea. Keeps the first video short and concise.

Edit: I'm going to start recording some more Smithy footage for use. Let me know what the easiest way to send it to you will be (firstly how to send it and secondly what format - I can do MP4 very easily or can convert it to wlmp or wmv with a little more work)

You can email me - PM me for the address.  And I specifically can NOT use mp4 - please use avi or wmv.  Thanks!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 12:29:28 pm »

What card would you be doing next so that we could start collecting video for that?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 12:31:02 pm »

What card would you be doing next so that we could start collecting video for that?

I would think we would want to get a least one video the way we want it just so we don't waste a bunch of video that ended up being the wrong thing. That's the way I'd do it, at least.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:19 pm »

Hmm... actually an issue you might run into collecting footage from different people is a variety of qualities and sizes and the like, that could be an issue... I'll send what I have as a WMV, let me know if it's even really usable though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 12:47:23 pm »

I would think we would want to get a least one video the way we want it just so we don't waste a bunch of video that ended up being the wrong thing. That's the way I'd do it, at least.

This.  But the next video will be Market.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 01:11:10 pm »

Currently uploading 4 minutes of Smithy footage. 160MBs. Next time I might cut some stuff out... still at least I hope it'll be useful, once it's actually done uploading.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:22 pm »

Bump. Any progress on this?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:00 pm »

Bump. Any progress on this?

I have been so busy lately.  I may not have the time to do this, at least for the next couple months.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »
+2

The card combos thread got me thinking: instead of making strategy videos on every card, why not do it for combos instead?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2014, 01:19:57 am »
+1

Realize this is a bit of a necro (I know, it's been over a year), but I'm still interested in doing this, and my workload has finally lightened up somewhat.  I think the first thing to do would be to revamp the Smithy video before moving on to any other cards.

What I've gathered from your thoughts a year ago:

-Slower speed for the gameplay
-Focus a little more on where the card draw is coming from
-Nix the Village engine bit, save it for the Village video
-Add an "Advanced Tips" section at the end to discuss shuffle control

Any other ideas?  Is there still any interest at all in this?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2014, 02:37:53 am »

I watched the village video and liked it.

I would at some point in the video say that smithy can be used as terminal draw in BM or can be used in an engine, a more advanced topic we will cover in a later video. I would also mention other terminal draw cards like Rabble, Journeyman, etc. Just touch upon them, but state they do function slightly differently than Smithy.

I think you should focus on only the most important cards and go expansion by expansion. So, obviously, no Adventurer. Maybe cover Thief since a lot of beginners overestimate its power.

In your videos, I would allude to engines and whatnot, but maybe not go too much into topic and then make a video or two on building engines. You can also do a video on slogs and rushes and whatnot.

I would also make a tips and tricks video for beginners going over things lots of noobs make like buying coopers, over stuffing with terminals, planning ahead for what your deck will be like, etc. Maybe these videos will collectively cover that. I do like the idea of a video tutorial series, and I agreed with the poster who said put this on board game geek because I think players over there could benefit the most with videos like this.

Honestly, I can see these videos being immensely popular and people sending you to your channel for those who want to learn how to play Dominion or get better at.

Oh, and I love the music. Great job composing it. You also have a very good narrating voice.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05:13 am »

I had a suggestion from someone a while ago about maybe having some actual examples. Say you have a board where Smithy+BM is dominant and that's what you're playing. You could have some statistics about money density and probability of hitting $8, or maybe sim results with win rates too. I wonder if that would be useful.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 1.848 seconds with 20 queries.