Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands  (Read 106575 times)

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »

This is a sort of stream of consciousness type thing, so I may say one thing and then change my mind by the end of the paragraph. (One of these is mine) Lots of people posted while I was typing this, so I may repeat some things...

Palanquin
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+1 Action. You may discard an Action card. If you do, +1 Card per $ it costs.

EDIT:I agree with Robz...way OP.

Tribe
Cost: $3
+2 Actions. +$1. Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard one and put the other anywhere in your deck.

When you buy this, you may discard a card. If you do, +1 Buy and +$2.

I really like the top, but I think the bottom makes the card a bit too powerful for its price point. Essentially, it means: if you have a victory card in hand, you can pick up a valuable engine piece for $1, without using a buy.

Quagmire
Types: Victory
Worth 1 VP.

When you gain this, trash 3 cards from a Supply pile.

This doesn't have a cost, so I don't know exactly how I feel about it, but I have never been a fan of cards that are straight up game tempo manipulation.

Hinterland
Cost: $4
Swap the cards in your hand with the cards on your Hinterland mat.

When you gain this, gain a Silver, putting it on your Hinterland mat.

This is an interesting concept, essentially saving a whole hand for later, but I feel that in practice it won't be very useful, and the best strategy will be to avoid Hinterland entirely.

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

While this is in play, when you gain a Victory card, Victory cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

This card confuses me. I understand the purpose of the "when you gain a victory card" clause, but it seems a clunky solution. Also, I think this card might be too good in multiples, or in combination with other cost reducers. The +1 action makes it easily playable, and the +2 buys is really good, especially at $3. Now that I think about it though, the card itself is fairly weak, and is almost useless except late in the game, when the low price won't matter to you as much. Overall, I think I like this card, but it will need some playtesting to see if it creates broken combos.

Consulate
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Discard 2 cards.

When you gain this, each other player gains a Copper, putting it into his hand.

I think this card might be balanced. At first I thought it was overpowered, but after rereading the bottom and realizing the copper goes to hand, I think it could be okay. The idea doesn't excite me much, though, as it feels to much like Warehouse.

Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

While this is in play, when you gain a Trade Agreement, gain a card costing up to $5.

This is cool, but I am wary of cards that want you to buy themselves on the card. I think this would be interesting, though, in that a lot of terminal draw could really mess you up, so the timing of purchases would have to be carefully planned out. I think I like this card because it causes some interesting tactical decisions.

Mountain Dwellers
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand. If you revealed 3 or more Treasure cards, +$1.

When you buy this, you may trash a Treasure card you have in play. Gain a Treasure card costing excatly $3 more than it.

Oooh, this is interesting. It may promote big money just a tad too much for my taste, but I love the bottom part of the card. I think if the top were tweaked slightly to be less "Yay Big Money!" It would be a great card.

Emerald Vein
Types: Action – Victory
+1 Action. Reveal your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed.

Worth 1 VP.

SCOUT! Actually, though, I personally don't like the +$1 per VP card concept, but that is just personal preference. The card seems fine.

Troglodyte Caves
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded.

When you gain this, you may reveal a card from your hand costing less than this. Gain a copy of it.

A better Cellar with a weird on-gain mechanic. I like this one, as it blends Cellar and Border Village while not straying too far into either's territory. This may be too much better than Cartographer, although I suppose they fulfill different functions.

Vendor
Cost: $1
+1 Action

When you buy this, +2 Buys.

This type of thing has been tried before, and I think Tribe executes the same idea a lot better. This card is just too vanilla for me.

Artefact
Cost: $2
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose a card from your hand. Trash it, discard it, or put it on top of your deck.

When you buy this, set it aside instead of gaining it. Gain it after you next shuffle (or when the game ends).

Cool idea, but I will either accidentally add this card into my deck, or forget about it. I have enough trouble with durations already.

Ring Leader
Types: Action – Attack
When you buy or play this, each player (including you) reveals the top 4 card of his deck, discards one that you choose, and puts the rest back in an order he chooses.

Seems okay.

River
Worth 2 VP.

When you gain this during your turn, all cards except Victory cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

This is interesting, and could drive a lot of oddball strategies that might work. It is sleek and seems balanced. This is my favorite so far.

Factory
Types: Action – Reaction
+1 Action. You may discard a card that is not a Victory card. If you do, gain a copy of it.

When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand and put it onto your deck. If you do, put the gained card into your hand.

Again, no price, but I would assume $5. This seems too swingy, as a lucky draw of this with King's Court could make a huge difference. Things like the top have been tried before, by myself included, and they always seem to not be very interesting. I like the bottom though, especially if it were on a weaker card.

Sanctuary
+2 Cards. Discard 2 cards.

When you gain this, set aside a card from your hand. Return that card to your deck at the end of the game.

Feels like Island, except maybe worse and it costs $5.

Workers' Co-operative
+1 Buy. +$3.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, each other player may gain a card costing less than it.

A reboot of Charity (A)? I liked that, but I like this slightly less, because I feel that being a treasure really made Charity (A) exciting. Still, it is a cool concept.

Smelter
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

This feels boring, but seems balanced.

Witch Doctor
+$1. Look through your deck; reveal and discard any number of Victory and Curse cards from it. Shuffle your deck.

When you gain this, put your deck into your discard pile.

Look through and shuffle your deck. That line makes this card not fun for me. On the top part of an action, this could be happening 2-3 times a turn, and that is ridiculously slow.

Diviner
+2 Cards. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, reveal the top 2 cards of your deck, discard any number, and put the rest back on top in any order.

This card is interesting. It seems similar to Smelter, but fits the Hinterlands cycling theme more and has more of a strategic niche. I like it.

Shoreline
Cost: $6
Worth 4 VP.

When you gain this, +1 Buy.

Again, I am not a fan of this type of +1 buy on the bottom.

Mill
+1 Action. Each other player draws a card. Gain a card costing up to $5.

When you gain this, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

This is a nerfed University, but easier to get, with an Attack when you buy it. I don't think this is balanced at any cost, even without the attack.

Travelling Salesman
Discard any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When another player gains a Victory card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a card costing less than it.

Less than Travelling Salesman or less than the Victory Card? If it is the former, I think this is a neat little card, which would have its place in some games, but not all.

Courier (A)
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of cards. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

When you would gain a card other than during your Buy phase, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $2 more instead.

The top seems too good with engines. Drawing your deck is often easy to set up when you don't care about having money, and this card makes that work even faster by making getting the components easy, too. The bottom might work, but on a much weaker card.

Oicho-Kabu
+1 Buy. +$2.

Worth 1 VP. While this is in play, when you buy a card, +$2 and discard the top card of your deck. If it's a Victory card, trash this.

I have no clue if this breaks anything, but I feel like it does. The self limiting might help, but overall, I don't think this card is good enough for me to want to buy, 90% of the time.

Wayfarer
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$ euqal to its cost in coins.

Seems cool, and fairly balanced. I would probably mostly use this as an early copper trasher, but it could have other uses. I like it.

Sultan
+2 Cards. +1 Action. Discard a card.

When you gain this, look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them and put the rest back in any order.

Lab with a slight nerf, but an on-gain effect. It is probably fine, but doesn't excite me all that much. It would be a good buy most of the time, like Lab.

Safe House
Types: Victory – Reaction
Worth 2 VP.

When you gain a card costing $0, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Gold.

This feels a lot like tunnel, with the whole "Victory card that gains gold" thing. It might be overpowered, however, because it lets me buy a gold+copper for $0, when gold+2 coppers costs $5.

Commander
Worth 2 VP

When you gain this, gain a Reinforcement card, putting it on top of your deck.
Setup: Add an extra Action Kingdom card pile costing $5 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Reinforcement cards and cannot be bought.

Clarification: Unlike most Victory cards, there are always 10 copies of Commander in the Supply regardless of the number of players.

Problem: when the reinforcement card is a brutal attack, a 5-2 opening becomes way too good in comparison to a 3-4. Cool idea, though, and an anti-attack clause might fix this card.

Midnight Gathering
+1 Action. You my put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile and reveal an Action card from it; put it into your hand.

This is an elegant execution of the "search you deck" mechanic, and I think it may actually be balanced, unlike many cards in a similar vein. I would be interested to see how it played.

Pasture
Worth 2 VP.

When another player gains a Victory card, you may reveal and discard this along with any number of cards from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards per Pasture and +1 Card per other card discarded.

This is an interesting idea, but I would probably ignore it in most games, except as cheap VP at the end. 

Trailblazer
Gain a card costing up to $4.

When you gain this, reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put any number of the revealed Victory cards and Curses into your hand. Put the other cards back in any order.

This combination of Scout and Workshop seems dull. It's balanced, but I would only buy it in the circumstances I would buy Workshop.

Bargain
You may trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it, a card costing exactly $2 more than it, and a card costing exactly $3 more than it. Discard down to 2 cards in hand.

When you gain this, each player (including you) may trash a card from his hand.

This seems way too good, as it is a way better Remodel with "Discard a card" thrown in on the end. THe on-gain is fine, but the card is still overpowered.

Clairvoyant
+1 Action. Look at the top card of your deck. You may put it into your hand. Otherwise, +$1 and either discard it or put it back. Look through your discard pile and put a card from it or your hand at the bottom of your deck.

This is interesting, and combines a lot of effects that are marginally useful to make one good card. It is a clever idea.

Fence
While this is in play, when you gain a card, gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

This is broken, as it will allow you to gain a whole pile of $5s and the Border Village pile. It is also odd because it has no "Action effect".

Shaman
+1 Action. Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card with that name. Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

When you gain this, each other player discards any number of cards from his hand then draws a card per card discarded.

The same concept as Midnight Gathering, but I don't think it is as cleanly executed. It could also cause a lot of waiting around while a player flips over 20 cards.

Tinker's Wagon

When you gain this, move a card costing between $3 and $6 from the top of one Supply pile to the top of another.

This is just weird. It could be and interesting card, but I don't have any idea if it is overpowered, broken, or good.

Thrift Shop
+1 Action. +$2. If this is not the first time you played Thrift Shop this turn, you may gain a card from the Thrift Shop mat.

When you gain or play this, place a card costing up to $5 from the Supply onto the Thrift Shop mat.

Clarification: There is only one community Thrift Shop mat. Each player does not have his own.

This card is another one that encourages gaining a lot of itself, for no reason other than to activate the card. I am not a fan of that mechanic.

Grandee
+1 Buy. Gain a card costing up to $4.

When you gain this, gain a Gold; each other player gains a Silver.

This is too powerful. A $4 action that comes with a gold is not offset by by the silver gain. Embassy also gives other players a silver, and that's just because the action is good.

Construct
Trash a card from your hand. Gain two cards each costing exactly $1 more than it.

When you gain this during your Action phase, +1 Card and +1 Action.

This card is balanced and neat. I like it.

Missionary
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to the Victory card's cost, putting it onto your deck. Discard the revealed cards.

When you buy this, reveal a card from your hand. If that card costs $6 or less, gain a copy of it.

The action is powerful enough in the right deck without the mediocre on-buy effect. I would like this card at $5.

Chapterhouse
+1 Action. +$1. Draw until you have 6 cards in hand. Discard 2 cards.

When you buy this, each other player draws a card. When you gain this, each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards a card.

I have no idea if this is balanced, but the thrown together concepts actually form an interesting and cohesive card. This needs play testing, but I like it.

Barn
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard a card. If you discarded a Victory or Curse card, gain a Treasure costing up to $4. Otherwise, +$1 and gain a Victory card costing up to $4. Put the gained card into your hand.

When you gain this, gain an Action card costing up to $4, putting it onto your deck.

There is a lot going on here, and I am not sure if the card is interesting enough for it to be worth it.

Huntsmen
Type: Action
Cost: $0*
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, +2 Buys. During your Buy phase, this costs $2 more for each card you've gained this turn.

As I said before, +Buys on the bottom is not my thing. This card is well-made, though.

Painful Journey
Types: Action – Curse – Reaction
Discard any number of Curses. +2 Cards for each Curse discarded.

Worth –1 VP. When you would buy a Victory card, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, gain a Victory card costin less than the bought card and gain 2 Curses.

Clarification: You cannot gain this card when another card instructs you to gain a Curse.

The Curse-type debate has waged for a long time, and this card does not seem worth bringing it up again. I am confused as to why I would buy this card.

Wagon Raider
Each other player may put a card costing more than $2 from their hand into your discard pile. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.

While this is in play, when you buy a Gold, you may gain a Province.

The top attack is already one of the strongest $4s available. It definitely does not need the bottom to make it better. I don't like the bottom, as it encourages BM too much, and doesn't add much interest to the game.

Nomadic Village
+1 Card. +2 Actions.

When you gain this, put it into your hand.
When an opponent gains an Action card, you may discard this. If you do, search your discard pile for an Action card and put it into your hand.

I am wary of the gain into hand clause, as it seems broken. Other than that, this seems like a fun card.

Stranger
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. Each other player discards the top card of his deck. Copies of cards revealed this way cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Cool cost reduction mechanism, but I actually think this encourages gaining not as good cards in the same vein as Indulgence, albeit through different means. The card seems balanced, though. I like it, just maybe not for the set as a whole.

Courier (B)
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you discard this from play, if you bought no more than one card this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

This card is a so weak I would almost never buy it. I don't think it is worth having an entire card for the few situations where I would. Also, it is just the Walled Village of buys, so it doesn't feel very original to me.

Sawmill
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, set it aside onto your Sawmill mat. At the start of each of your turns, you may put any number of cards from your mat into your hand.

I like this "buys on demand" concept better. This card would cause some interesting strategic and tactical decisions, and it is well designed too. I really like this card.

Pyramid
+1 Action. +$1. +1 Card per Pyramid you have in play. Discard one card per Pyramid you have in play.

When you buy this, gain an extra copy of it.

Another card where you want a ton of copies of it, only to power it up. The bottom mechanic also means the pile will empty very quickly, which I think causes tempo and fairness issues, as it exacerbates the first player advantage in some cases.

Lucky Coin
Type: Treasure
Worth $1.

When you gain this, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose.

Basically an on-gain Pillage. I also don't know if I would really buy this, as I don't think wasting a buy and money on a copper is worth the onetime attack.

Used Land Salesman
+4 Cards.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Victory cards costing less than it.

Seems way overpowered, as the top is Hunting Grounds, which costs $6, and the bottom is a nerd, but not a very effective one. I could be completely wrong about this card, though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:47:58 pm by jamespotter »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2013, 03:59:59 pm »
+1

Sanctuary

When you gain this, set aside a card from your hand. Return that card to your deck at the end of the game.

Feels like Island, except maybe worse and it costs $5.

I'm not sure whether it's worse than Island or not, but I'm pretty sure it compares unfavorably to both Inn and Young Witch. You don't benefit that much by enisling a Victory card when you gain this, seeing as how you have to end up with this in your deck instead.

...Okay, it's probably worse than Island.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:02:46 pm by AJD »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »

Reading Painful Journey was a painful journey.

Another video on it's way. I didn't speed up or anything during this one, instead I just waffled on for about 100 minutes :D. But it's probably about 1-2 minutes of processing and uploading per minute content, so don't expect the video for a few hours :(.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2013, 04:52:56 pm »

I didn't submit a card to this contest, but I was looking through these anyway and I had some opinions, so I figured I'd type them up.

Palanquin

Really similar to Apprentice. Better in that you only have to discard, worse in that it is only for actions and doesn't give a bonus for potion costs. But too similar and surely better, because trashing good stuff actually hurts.

Tribe
+2 Actions. +$1. Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard one and put the other anywhere in your deck.

Man, this has some cool parts, but the part I bolded will make it so, so painfully slow. It's a village, and thus spammable, meaning this might take forEVER. But I like the rest of the card for the most part!

Quagmire
Worth 1 VP.

This has some cool niche applications and is nice for 3-piling in certain instances, but in a whole lot of games this is just another estate pile, and that's not that fun. Interesting tactics involved but not an exciting effect.

Hinterland

Is there no other way to put cards on your Hinterland mat? I don't know, I don't see the use of buying 4 of these just to gain a province down the road. And if the hand you put on the mat was too weak to buy province, I'm unlikely to want to take it off the mat again?

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

While this is in play, when you gain a Victory card, Victory cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

I can't quite wrap my mind around whether this is balanced, but it seems fine and fairly interesting.

Consulate

This is really, really strong. It's a warehouse that keeps a card and has a situational buff/nerf on gain. That extra card in hand makes this way better than warehouse, and warehouse is strong.

Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

While this is in play, when you gain a Trade Agreement, gain a card costing up to $5.

This is...interesting. It has use for both BM and engines, I'd guess. I think it seems fine? Obviously depends on the kingdom. I'm curious how it'd play.

Mountain Dwellers
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand. If you revealed 3 or more Treasure cards, +$1.

When you buy this, you may trash a Treasure card you have in play. Gain a Treasure card costing exactly $3 more than it.

A variation on cantrip mine, this seems like a theme in this contest. This seems really good! It's got a mix of a bunch of other stuff but feels fairly unique and cohesive.

Emerald Vein

Worth 1 VP.

I smell a Robz. But seriously, variations of this have been circulating for a while; this seems like a good permutation. I guess one of these is bound to stick eventually. :P

Troglodyte Caves

When you gain this, you may reveal a card from your hand costing less than this. Gain a copy of it.

Variation on cellar that won't reduce your hand size with a semi-interesting on-gain. Really nice when you've drawn an action dead, have lots of excess money, or are gaining in the middle of your turn, but otherwise I'm not sure how often I'd really want to use it. Maybe those cases are enough.

Vendor
+1 Action

Maybe this would be cool as an extra pile when something else is in the kingdom, but this doesn't do enough on its own. I never really want this in my deck, having the card is just a penalty for a cute trick.

Artefact
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose a card from your hand. Trash it, discard it, or put it on top of your deck.

When you buy this, set it aside instead of gaining it. Gain it after you next shuffle (or when the game ends).

Hmmmm. Cantrip trashing is powerful, but gaining it after shuffling it is a big penalty since you want this early. If you double open with this, it's as if you're gaining both on turn 3 and then turns 3/4 you can again make opening buys. This is pretty interesting but I do have doubts that it's balanced as is.

Ring Leader
When you buy or play this, each player (including you) reveals the top 4 card of his deck, discards one that you choose, and puts the rest back in an order he chooses.

That's a lot of revealing and putting back... Idk probably too much AP. It doesn't excite me. Could trigger unwanted reshuffles for everybody.

River
Worth 2 VP.

When you gain this during your turn, all cards except Victory cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

You can only activate the bottom half with gainers in the kingdom but I guess tunnel has a similar issue. This is somewhat interesting but I think it's too good when it's good and too bland without gainers.

Factory
+1 Action. You may discard a card that is not a Victory card. If you do, gain a copy of it.

When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand and put it onto your deck. If you do, put the gained card into your hand.

Pretty cool.

Sanctuary

This feels, way, way underpowered for $5. Trashing one card is nice but not great (unless maybe you get a 5/2 split) and the bonus is not so strong at all. Like a LOT weaker than warehouse and it's terminal. This would probably be quite interesting at like...$2? It might be a nice opener.

Workers' Co-operative
+1 Buy. +$3.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, each other player may gain a card costing less than it.

Too weak. The bottom line is a huge, huge penalty and the top half is not much better than like Mandarin and Harvest.

Smelter
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

This is likely a fine approach to a silver flooder but silver flooding doesn't interest me all that much, sorry. :-\

Witch Doctor
+$1. Look through your deck; reveal and discard any number of Victory and Curse cards from it. Shuffle your deck.

I expected that this would have something to do with junking or trashing, but discarding vp and curses is cool territory. This does feel a little swingy due to when you might draw it but I think the bottom half is meant to offset that.

Diviner
+2 Cards. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, reveal the top 2 cards of your deck, discard any number, and put the rest back on top in any order.

This is actually pretty cool. If you just bought something nice, this lets you cycle to get to it faster, which is a theme of Hinterlands. Not sure exactly how it'd stack but I like this.

Shoreline
Worth 4 VP.

Not a huge fan of the simple 4 VP for $6.

Mill

If this is a pun on mil(l)itia, well done. This seems reasonably comparable to University, I think it's alright.

Travelling Salesman
Discard any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When another player gains a Victory card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a card costing less than it.

The person with the lucky 5/2 buys this and on turn 3 draws 8 cards. Too swingy.

Courier (A)
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of cards. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

When you would gain a card other than during your Buy phase, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $2 more instead.

This is kinda cool. Note that the reaction effectively only nets one more $ since you have to keep the card in hand to get it. Still, this is neat.

Oicho-Kabu
+1 Buy. +$2.

Worth 1 VP. While this is in play, when you buy a card, +$2 and discard the top card of your deck. If it's a Victory card, trash this.

It's probably fine.

Wayfarer

When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$ euqal to its cost in coins.

This is neat, I like this. It gives extra money on play but not an extra buy, which means having more of these in play is good for getting the full benefit of the on-gain.

Sultan

When you gain this, look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them and put the rest back in any order.

This doesn't feel like a thrilling lab variant.

Safe House
Worth 2 VP.

Pretty similar to tunnel, but this still seems really cool! It's a nice "defense" against junkers but also might tempt you to buy a copper to get the Gold as well. I'd have to test it to see whether it's worth getting as a defense

Commander
Worth 2 VP

Setup: Add an extra Action Kingdom card pile costing $5 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Reinforcement cards and cannot be bought.

Clarification: Unlike most Victory cards, there are always 10 copies of Commander in the Supply regardless of the number of players.

This seems neat and not probably not broken, except for maybe the scaling thing in multiplayer.

Midnight Gathering
+1 Action. You my put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile and reveal an Action card from it; put it into your hand.

Super Sage. Let's you draw one copy of whatever action you what. That's too unrestricted, this is a lot better than Lab. Also, AP.

Pasture
Worth 2 VP.

When another player gains a Victory card, you may reveal and discard this along with any number of cards from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards per Pasture and +1 Card per other card discarded.

Broken. A high enough density of this will let you draw your entire deck pretty reliably whenever your opponent gains a victory card, since you can keep revealing Pastures in reaction to the same gain as long as you have them.

Trailblazer

When you gain this, reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put any number of the revealed Victory cards and Curses into your hand. Put the other cards back in any order.

Workshop Scout. Not much new going on, though Scout's main effect does sorta lend itself to being a bottom line of something...

Bargain
You may trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it, a card costing exactly $2 more than it, and a card costing exactly $3 more than it. Discard down to 2 cards in hand.

Very strong, but with a huge penalty. Hard to gauge its power but it probably is verging on too much in things like draw-to-x. Still, kinda makes me want to try it.

Clairvoyant
+1 Action. Look at the top card of your deck. You may put it into your hand. Otherwise, +$1 and either discard it or put it back. Look through your discard pile and put a card from it or your hand at the bottom of your deck.

This is neat. The top and bottom half are both interesting and unique effects. I feel like the bottom could be worded better, but I like this card. Totally good for setting up megaturns but you'd have to have like a lot of copies of this, and it's not that strong on its own. Still might be a concern, tough to tell.

Fence
While this is in play, when you gain a card, gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

Sorta like a reverse haggler that can whiff and doesn't give you any vanilla bonus. It might be good but I'm not a huge fan.

Shaman
+1 Action. Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card with that name. Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

When you gain this, each other player discards any number of cards from his hand then draws a card per card discarded.

Essentially lets you pick up a copy of anything in your deck, I just think this is way too much for a $4 card.

Tinker's Wagon

When you gain this, move a card costing between $3 and $6 from the top of one Supply pile to the top of another.

So you can ideally actually gain a card costing up to $6 with this if you plan it out right. Pretty cool I suppose. Some neat tactics there, though it might get confusing.

Thrift Shop
+1 Action. +$2. If this is not the first time you played Thrift Shop this turn, you may gain a card from the Thrift Shop mat.

When you gain or play this, place a card costing up to $5 from the Supply onto the Thrift Shop mat.

Clarification: There is only one community Thrift Shop mat. Each player does not have his own.

I think there's a mistake here, this should cost $.99.

Grandee

Not super interesting.

Construct
Trash a card from your hand. Gain two cards each costing exactly $1 more than it.

Ok, seems like a nice little TfB.

Missionary
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to the Victory card's cost, putting it onto your deck. Discard the revealed cards.

When you buy this, reveal a card from your hand. If that card costs $6 or less, gain a copy of it.

Top half is maybe ok for gaining but it is pretty unreliable unless you have just provinces, and then it's so good. As for the bottom half, besides duchies how often am I going to want to withhold something just to gain another copy? Maybe if I drew something dead or was overpaying.

Chapterhouse

When you buy this, each other player draws a card. When you gain this, each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards a card.

Doesn't thrill me but probably fine.

Barn
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard a card. If you discarded a Victory or Curse card, gain a Treasure costing up to $4. Otherwise, +$1 and gain a Victory card costing up to $4. Put the gained card into your hand.

When you gain this, gain an Action card costing up to $4, putting it onto your deck.

This is usually going to be gaining estates, which is really not strong. Really unsure this needs to cost $5...

Huntsmen
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, +2 Buys. During your Buy phase, this costs $2 more for each card you've gained this turn.

This is a lot like Vendor. It might be better but I still don't think it does enough on its own to really justify a kingdom slot.

Painful Journey

Worth –1 VP. When you would buy a Victory card, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, gain a Victory card costin less than the bought card and gain 2 Curses.

Clarification: You cannot gain this card when another card instructs you to gain a Curse.

This is a mess on a number of levels...It's maybe a nice idea but doing more with curse "subtype" would take a LOT of careful playtesting to get just right, and would likely still be situational.

Wagon Raider
Each other player may put a card costing more than $2 from their hand into your discard pile. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.

Wow this is so strong. And doesn't scale well. Free provinces thrown in with Gold buys? This should not cost $4...

Nomadic Village
+1 Card. +2 Actions.

When an opponent gains an Action card, you may discard this. If you do, search your discard pile for an Action card and put it into your hand.

This might just work! Feels like a nice direction to take the village-with-a-bonus.

Stranger
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. Each other player discards the top card of his deck. Copies of cards revealed this way cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Interesting, but pretty swingy. I play this and reveal curse, you play it and reveal province.

Courier (B)
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you discard this from play, if you bought no more than one card this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

If this were a cantrip it might be great, if a little boring. As it is this would only be good if it were the only +Buy on an engine board.

Sawmill
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, set it aside onto your Sawmill mat. At the start of each of your turns, you may put any number of cards from your mat into your hand.

Ok there are at least like 3 cards with the vanilla bonus +1 Action +1 Buy. That's like the most boring vanilla bonus there is! A cool bottom half isn't enough to really redeem a super boring card. But without another way of getting something else onto your sawmill mat it's not exciting. This might be ok at $1.

Pyramid
+1 Action. +$1. +1 Card per Pyramid you have in play. Discard one card per Pyramid you have in play.

This is pretty cool, I like it.

Lucky Coin
Worth $1.

When you gain this, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose.

I've used this name! :D This is a really strong attack, but it IS a one-shot that puts a copper into your deck. In a multiplayer game this might get wonky with the first player to buy this getting to hit everyone and then later buys in the same round being much weaker. This seems alright though.

Used Land Salesman
+4 Cards.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Victory card costing less than it.

This seems usually better than Hunting Grounds, for $5. You can usually buy province after +4 cards, so the bottom line is usually a buff (not sure this was the intention).
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2013, 05:00:51 pm »
+1

I think I will skip the attempt at formatting responses that I used last time.  I also forgot to put in a disclaimer for the first contest, but it was OK because I didn't talk up my own card at all.  But hey, disclaimer -- one of these cards is mine.  And I might actually talk it up, I haven't decided yet. :P

(Now, after having gone through all the cards, I'll say that there were many that I think looked alright but which I just did not like personally.  No knock on the card -- it's just a matter of personal taste.  Also, I just don't like Workshop variants. :P)

Edit: And I see that some cards have been updated... I will look into those a bit later.

Palanquin

Apprentice that discards instead of trashes (and doesn't care about Potion cost).  Not that much on theme... I suppose it helps deal with a large deck?  It's probably too powerful.  Yeah trashing is good, but TfB do better when they trash expensive things.  The drawback is, of course, that most expensive things are cards you'd prefer to keep.  Palanquin lets you have the benefit without the drawback of losing those good cards.

Tribe

Village with filtering and on-buy -- fits Hinterlands.  Putting a card anywhere in the deck is fairly novel -- Stash, but for whatever card you find.  Probably you would put a good card back on top, or a bad card on the bottom if you flipped two bad cards.  But still, neat.

The on-buy is a fairly popular idea, but it has a different function here.  Usually this concept is used on a cheap card such that the bonus gives you a net increase in money.  Here, the card costs $3 but only gives you back $2.  Effectively, you get Tribe for $1 without needing a buy.  But for that effect you do need to discard a card.  I wonder if this is too strong, but the discard certainly helps temper it.

All in all, pretty neat.

Quagmire
Worth 1 VP.

I saw Robz already pointed it out, but this is broken.  Trashing 3 Provinces is just ridiculously powerful and swingy.  An easy fix is to not allow it to trash Victory cards.  With that change, I am not sure of its power, but it would be fairly interesting.

Hinterland

Odd, and a bit similar to another fan card I have seen recently.  Not much else to say.  It is fairly interesting and probably difficult to use optimally.  I like this implementation though.

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

So this is just non-terminal buys at first.  After you gain a Victory card, it is like a Bridge for Victory cards.  But if you gain more Victory cards after that, it further reduces cost.  Seems like it could be very powerful.  It's a weak opener though (don't want to buy VP early), so the $3 cost is fine.

A potential problem is how quickly it can snowball.  Highway-Highway-3x Pilgrimage gives a total of 7 Buys.  Buy an Estate (free from Highways) and the Pilgrimages reduce VP card cost by $3.  Now Duchy is free.  Buy that and Province is free.  So those 5 cards would allow you to buy Estate, Duchy, 5 Provinces.  This seems nearly as potent as the classic KC-Bridge megaturn, but easier to put together.  Maybe not an issue -- you still need a way to get the cards together.  But if it is a problem, it can be fixed by making it non-terminal or providing fewer Buys.  I like the concept.

Consulate

A non-terminal mini-Embassy.  It is questionable whether the Copper gift is an attack... but since it's on-gain, it sidesteps that whole debate, ha!  It would play differently from Embassy in that it doesn't increase your hand size, but the heavy filtering is nice.  It looks pretty good.

Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

So TA lets you get more TAs easily.  I don't know how to feel about that.  I suppose one would want to use it to gain villages to create a draw engine?  Might be alright, but it doesn't click for me.

Mountain Dwellers

When you buy this, you may trash a Treasure card you have in play. Gain a Treasure card costing excatly $3 more than it.

On-buy Mine.  Once in your deck, it's a cantrip that is sometimes a Peddler.  Looks alright, and the name fits (recalling Mine).  Maybe "Mountaineer" would be better.

Emerald Vein

Worth 1 VP.

Probably works fine, but I am just not personally a fan of "VP cards for money".  Not sure why I don't like that concept.

Troglodyte Caves

Cellar with +1 Card to start.  The extra card should actually make a fairly big difference.  I think that's a fine effect that hasn't been used yet.  Not sure if I like the on-gain though.

Vendor
+1 Action

Once in your deck, it is just a Ruined Village.  Why do that?  Ruined Mine or Ruined Market fit the concept better, I think.  The on-buy is a little more interesting, in that it just lets you buy more things that turn (net +1 Buy).  Pretty handy, and I like the idea. 

I am worried that it may be broken.  Of course the cost needs to be low (if it's expensive, the cost to get Vendor probably means you don't have enough money left to make use of your extra Buy).  But if the cost is low, it might be too easy to use it to run out piles.  With just two Highways in play, you can empty Vendor and Estates.  Raising the cost only makes the Highway trick slightly harder to pull off while decreasing the value of Vendor on boards where it isn't otherwise broken.  Tough call, hm.

Maybe if it had a clause that limited how often you could buy it in one turn.

Artefact

Cantrip trashing is just too powerful for $2 without some sort of penalty.  This is even better because you are not forced to trash -- you can discard or top-deck as well.  There actually is a penalty -- you gain it one shuffle late.  I don't think this is enough of a penalty to justify such a low cost.  Increasing the cost is a fine fix.

But even with that, the card itself just isn't that interesting to me.

Ring Leader

Spy variant, but it's a terminal.  The filtering is better than on Spy especially because it also reorganizes, and the attack is more likely to hit a key card.  Can enable some other cards like Mystic or Wishing Well (though a village would be needed).

Overall I think it is a little weak, but it has enough niche cases for it to work.  More importantly, the attack feels different than anything already existing without feeling overly complicated.  I like this a lot.

The name could be better.

River
Worth 2 VP.

The on-gain effect is only useful if you have +Buy to take advantage of it (or gain River with Ironworks or something).  River itself costs $3, which means you don't get net savings unless you buy at least two non-Victory cards after you gain River.  The problem I see is that if you want River for the VP, you are already greening and you're less likely to want to buy non-Victory cards.  But if you are still building your deck up, you don't want River to clog up your deck.  This contradiction makes the on-gain feel out of place to me.

Factory

The cost is currently missing...

I think the card works, but I don't like it.  I don't really like that you can just duplicate a card -- feels swingy.  Admittedly, gaining a good card requires that you discard it, losing it for the round.  Still doesn't work for me.  A card that lets you gain cards to hand (be it a reaction or the gainer itself) is something else I've seen before which I am not fond of, though this implementation of it may work well.  So I don't think the card is broken (assuming an appropriate cost, and I'm not actually sure what that would be) but it's just not one that I like.

Sanctuary

The on-play effect is really weak filtering, but that's fine.  The main reason to buy this is the on-gain, which lets you Island a card.  I think that's a fine idea, but it is a little boring to me considering that Island already exists, and Astrolabe from the first expansion also performs a similar function.  I think this is a fine card and decently balanced already (may work at a lower cost actually), but I am looking for things that feel more unique.

For what it is, the name is nice.  Kind of a reference to Inn, Haven and Island all at once.  And I may still vote for this, depending on how many other cards are here that I like.

Workers' Co-operative
+1 Buy. +$3.

Haggler for others... probably too weak at $5.  This same concept appeared in the Prosperity contest as well, on a Treasure card named Charity IIRC.  Somehow I like the concept less now.  Oh, how the mind works.

Smelter
+1 Buy. +$1.

It's a Silver flooder.  I think Trader and Masterpiece are enough for that niche.

Witch Doctor

Takes the niche effect of Chancellor and gives it on-gain, allowing greater control of when trigger it.  That's cool.  Epic-level filtering, but swingy because it's onl good if you draw it early in the shuffle.  Mediocre effect.

Possible broken combo: Tunnel.  If I do not vote for it, Tunnel will be the reason.

I like the name a lot though.  Saw it recently (in the Bad Ideas thread?) but it actually works very well for this concept and this expansion.

Diviner
+2 Cards. +1 Buy.

Simple enough, and probably fine.

Shoreline
Worth 4 VP.

4VP for $6 is fine by itself.  +1 Buy on gain is marginally useful on such an expensive card.  It should probably be on-buy, to avoid confusion with Swindler.  This is boring though.

Mill

Another on-gain "attack" in the vein of IGG, now Militia instead of Witch.  The effect seems too powerful though.  Gaining a $5 card is already quite good, and this is non-terminal to boot.

I am not sure but I recall reading in the Secret Histories that this concept was actually tested.  The problem is that it makes the game unfun because there is this persistent threat of a hand size attack.  I imagine that Mill on the board feels a lot more oppressive than Militia.

Travelling Salesman

Action seems neat and well balanced for $5.  Reaction seems OK as well, though maybe a little bit swingy.  I like that this hits many of the Hinterlands themes without feeling particularly contrived -- there is filtering, an on-gain effect of sorts, and it cares about Victory cards.  I'm a fan.

Courier (A)

You can gain a card costing up to $5 if you discard your hand (or more if you have draw).  It has self-synergy in that it "discards" other Couriers for an extra $1.  Seems decent.  Maybe a bit too similar to Vault/Secret Chamber.  Yeah this is a gainer instead of just giving +$1, but it's still pretty close.

Oicho-Kabu
+1 Buy. +$2.

This is a terminal +$4, with the caveat that the money has to be distributed over other Buys.  It can combo further if you have more than 2 Buys.  They stack extremely well, almost as good as Bridge.  There is a catch built-in -- if it flips a Victory card (which includes another copy of it), it gets trashed.  That also kills the bonus, since it's "while in play".

I think it might be too similar to Merchant Guild, but having money this turn rather than coin tokens for later probably makes a big difference in how it plays.

Wayfarer

Poor man's Salvager?  You need to have +Buy first, maybe from another copy of Wayfarer.  When you have +Buy, you can first buy a Wayfarer to Salvage something else.  You need to have that +Buy or else the money is wasted (though you could, of course, use it just to trash junk).  The main issue is that there is $2 of opportunity cost -- your Salvage is less efficient than an actual Salvager.  Still, this introduces some new strategic considerations.  I like it.

Sultan

Weaker lab, but it makes up for it with an on-gain effect.  The effect is just minor filtering though.  I don't think that's strong enough to justify $5, but the Lab-lite effect is too strong for $4.  Not a fan.

Safe House
Worth 2 VP.

Tunnel variant, in that it is a 2VP Victory-Reaction also lets you gain Gold.  The reaction here is neat in that it allows you to buy a better Cache (that is, buy one Copper to gain Gold).  But it also functions as a reaction against most junkers, while also making some cute combos.  Buy Cache, get an extra two Gold.  Gain a Spoils, also gain a Gold.  The reaction is more interesting than it looks.

My biggest hang up is that Tunnel is already in Hinterlands, so I don't think the Hinterlands card should be so similar.  I will probably still vote for this though.

Commander
Worth 2 VP

Wording issue -- if the Reinforcement card cannot be bought, then it's not in the Supply.

Basically you can get Reinforcement cards by gaining Commander.  You can imagine it as if you are getting the Reinforcement card and getting a 2VP along with it.  Whether that's a bonus or a penalty is up to you to decide.  Seems OK, but not that exciting to me.

Midnight Gathering

Basically "put any action card you want into your hand".  Too powerful, I think.

Pasture
Worth 2 VP.

Simple enough effect.  The reaction works out to be Lab+Cellar.  If you have multiple Pastures in hand, the correct play is actually to reveal and discard only one Pasture, plus any other cards you want to Cellar.  Then you can reveal the next Pasture afterwards, sifting even more through what you just drew back.  This could actually chain pretty far, because you may also draw into more Pastures.  It's probably not a big issue.  I like it.

Trailblazer

Workshop with on-gain filtering.  Not that exciting.

Bargain

Seems too good.  Maybe in practice it is not, but I am doubtful.  This is basically Expand, but you can't gain cards costing equal to or less than the trashed card and you sometimes gain extra cards.  There are probably some other minor differences too (e.g. it doesn't play well with Potion costs).  But yeah, it's Expand that gives you MORE cards.  Now, those cards might actually be a negative.  Maybe you get forced into some junk.  But it's doubtful.  At $4 you can get more Bargains.  At $5 you can get Duchy.  At $6 there is Gold.  At $8 you can get Province.  The worst of those is probably Duchy in the early game, except that you can just feed it to Bargain for Gold and Province and maybe a KC if it's on the board.

This just seems way better than Expand to me.

Clairvoyant

Feels very messy, like a bunch of disparate effects thrown together.  Looks almost like an imitation of JoaT, except all the different parts of Jack actually do go together to form an after-the-fact Moat.  Maybe I am missing something here.

Fence

An odd kind of Haggler variant.  I don't like the name (whether it refers to dividers, swordsmen or black market dealers) but the effect is neat.  Might need some vanilla benefit, but the concept is solid.  I will likely vote for this.

Shaman

Another "find any action" card.  Not a fan of the concept.

Tinker's Wagon

I just don't like Workshop enough to like seeing it used as another card top. :P

The main concept is the on-gain though.  I don't like it here either.  This kind of trick sounds interesting but I think it has too much potential for confusion.  If there are 2 or more piles with an Estate on top, what happens when I Ambassador Estate -- can I return my Estate on top of the faux Estate, and from which pile do opponents gain Estates?  I also don't really like how this can mess with cursing attacks (I'll just put an Estate on top of the Curse pile).

Thrift Shop

I have no idea how this would play.  It's an interesting concept though.  Will have to think more on this later.

Grandee

Why is Workshop being used for so many of these card tops? :o

On-gain Governor for Gold... not interesting to me.

Construct

The on-gain feels out of place.  Um, I guess you can Construct an Estate into a Construct or two to make use of the benefit.  That's probably the intent.  I guess it's OK!

Missionary

I believe there is already a Missionary from the first MSDC.

The action looks too swingy.  The on-buy is another clone effect, which I'm not a fan of.

Chapterhouse

Aw man.  I read the below-the-line stuff before the rest of the card.  First thought was that the idea was really clever.  If you buy the card, it benefits opponents (net effect is that they sift a card).  But if you gain it in some other way, it's an attack!  Although on-gain Militia feels oppressive, I think the way this is done works really well.

But the card top is completely unrelated and actually kind of boring.  And a cost of $5 removes a good chunk of gainers.  This might actually be a card where the Workshop top is tolerable, especially if Chapterhouse itself cost $4.

I really love the clever on-buy and on-gain... but the top is more than just vanilla, so it might be too big a change to allow for a vote from me.  Hm.

Barn

Feels very messy to me when reading it, but it does seem to have a direction.  How would this play... even though you discard a card, you gain another card into hand.  If you sift out a Victory or Curse, you get Silver (or better) in hand, making this like an activated Conspirator.  If you [have to] discard something else, you get an Estate.  Or if Gardens or Silk Road is on the board, you just rush those.

Might be just too good an enabler for SR/Gardens.  Cantrip silver gaining is also really good, and it doesn't much mind even gaining Estates because they can be sifted away.  I might be overestimating it though?

Huntsmen
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

I think I like this.  It is similar to Vendor above, but the top portion of the card fits better and the on-gain implementation is self-limiting.  You can get your extra Buy, but you'll have a tough time emptying piles because the cost of Huntsmen increases.  There may be some rules confusion with cost reduction, but I don't think there's anything super problematic that can't be dealt with by FAQ.  I don't think the name fits.  But I like this a lot.

Painful Journey

Nope nope nope.

Curse type is just a terrible idea.  It requires that clarification, and then there's confusion over whether "Curses" in the action text refers to itself or regular Curses or both.  Probably both.  And the clarification says "another card" -- so if you trigger the reaction, can you gain another Painful Journey?  It's not *another* card, right?  Confusing.

Even without those issues, I am still not a fan of these cards that give you benefit for Curses.

Wagon Raider

This is probably just a plain Curser.  Most cards costing more than $2 are too good for other players to just hand them to you.  I am not going to lose $2 from my hand AND give you a Silver to boot.  The in-play effect just makes this a Hoard for Provinces.  Overall not interesting.

Nomadic Village
+1 Card. +2 Actions.

This also does the "find an action" thing, but it does it as a reaction.  That makes it far more tolerable.  Even so, it's a reaction to a pretty common occurrence and pushes players into playing more BM.  Not sure I like that.

Stranger

Too swingy, and I think it would be hard to track.

Courier (B)
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

This is to +Buy what Walled Village is for +Actions.  I actually quite like Walled Village, and I like this a lot too.  It's a weak $2 card that provides +Buy when you need it.  It's a good niche to fill and an appropriate level of power for a $2 card.  Definitely a fan of this.

Sawmill
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

Remarkably similar to Courier (B) right above it.  It is also just non-terminal +Buy and it also tries to let you have it when you need it.  Sawmill costs a bit more but it is stronger in that you can get it at any time you need without hurting your hands in the meanwhile (whereas Courier is a weak card that keeps filling up a slot until you use the +Buy).  It is weaker in that Sawmill only gives you the flexibility once, after which it is just a junky vanilla card.  This is probably weak enough that it could also cost $2.

I like Courier more.  It is just more interesting, IMO.

Pyramid

Stacks strongly with itself.  It's a Copper that also sifts, more so when you play multiples.  I'm not a great fan of stacking cards like this though.

Lucky Coin
Worth $1.

Eeep.  Pillage is so powerful that it is a one-shot terminal $5 action.  This is a $4 version of it on-gain.  It is stronger than Pillage in that it costs less and you get the attack immediately, plus being on-gain makes it easier to time it for maximum damage (not to mention not requiring an action play).  It is weaker in that it ends up as a Copper in your deck, and you don't get any Spoils out of it.  But I think it is stronger overall.  Moreover, this probably feels even more oppressive than on-gain Militia.

Used Land Salesman
+4 Cards.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Victory cards costing less than it.

Interesting.  While the in-play effect can be a benefit (late game buy Province, gain Duchy), it is mostly a hindrance.  Very simple, very elegant.  I like it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:02:41 pm by eHalcyon »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2013, 05:04:28 pm »

I don't feel like saying too much, as the number of cards here is overwhelming, but there are some serious designs concerns on a few cards.

Palanquin
This is probably too strong (especially with a bunch of Tournaments in the deck or something), but even this isn't my main focus here.

Consulate

While I'm scanning through these cards, I'll just say now that I think this is too strong for $4, especially with the copper thing on gain.

Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

Auto-pile depletion with Trade Agreement. Huge problem, especially with Watchtower, or with Graverobber or apprentice or something.

Emerald Vein

Worth 1 VP.
This isn't broken, but I want to say that this is just the Secret Chamber with +1 action and Worth 1VP. Good thing this isn't the Intrigue, or else we'd have to deal with the amazing Scout synergy.

Vendor
+1 Action

Gaining an extra buy when you buy this makes this devastating in Goons games and Merchant Guild games. Otherwise, I mean, it costs something, so there's a limit to how many of these you can get.

Shoreline
Worth 4 VP.

It's been pointed out that this can be gained outside your turn (say, though Swindler). The +buy (as well as +action and +coin) have this ambiguity problem with on gain effects. It can just be changed to be an on Buy effect and all is good. An okay card, btw.

Midnight Gathering
+1 Action. You may put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile. You may reveal an Action card from it; put it into your hand.
Okay here! Dominion outtakes Herald issue. Donald X. had such a hard time balancing the +1 action Herald that got to be choosy about the drawn action card. This doesn't automatically play the drawn action, but with the discard-your-deck thing I expect this to be too strong.

Pasture
Worth 2 VP.

Wait, do you get +2 Cards just by discarding the revealed Pasture? The problem with this is that it punishes your opponent indirectly for trying to obey PPR or something.

Bargain

Remake, move over! Replacing a starting Estate with a $5, a $4, and a $3 cost card sounds way too good.

Fence
Must be on-buy, otherwise It's broken with Border village. Buy Border village, gaining duchy, gaining border Village, gaining Duchy, gaining Border Village...A 2 pile piledrive with 1 Buy.

Shaman

Still Broken Herald.

Construct

Here's the Remake that only trashes one card instead of 2. It's not imbalanced, I don't think, due to the reduced trashing, but something important to consider.

Painful Journey

I assume you can discard a Painful Journey for the +2 Cards. This this incorrect?

Wagon Raider

Terrifying with a discard attack. Reminds me of Masquerade-Militia. Though, then you just get a curse instead.

Used Land Salesman
+4 Cards.

Kinda strong with the free +4 cards on a $5 cost, especially for Big Money. Probably fine with +3 Cards.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2013, 05:07:00 pm »

What the heck, this time I'll actually post some thoughts.

Palanquin

This card makes Rebuild look as weak as Scout.

Tribe

This just seems terribly complex, and I really dislike all of the "when you gain this, +1 Buy" cards... this one no less.

Quagmire
Worth 1 VP.

No.  Interesting idea, but no.

Hinterland

Interesting idea.  But unless you buy several, the first time you play the action, it's "trade your whole hand for a Silver," and it's not much better than that the following times.  It's a less flexible terminal Native Village.

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

Bridge variant.  Bland but OK.

Consulate

This is probably better than Lab on average, even before the attack.

Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

As noted above, this auto-piles itself unless re-worded.  With any village on the board, this becomes as good as Border Village.

Mountain Dwellers

Now this... this I like.  It's a Peddler variant that's not great if you have no treasure, and it's a one-time Mine.  Interesting!

Emerald Vein

Worth 1 VP.

I'm just going to buy all of these.  This might be OK if it were terminal.

Troglodyte Caves

Souped-up Cellar, plus a one-time gain.  I like it.

Vendor
+1 Action

"I really dislike all of the "when you gain this, +1 Buy" cards... this one no less."

Artefact

When you buy this, set it aside instead of gaining it. Discard it after you next shuffle your discard pile (or when the game ends).

I like the card without what's below the line.  I just think that part is unnecessary...

Ring Leader

Cool mechanic.  Devastating attack when stacked, but that requires villages.

River
Worth 2 VP.

Does this also cost $2 less when you gain it?  Do you have to gain it first to get the effect?  Confusing...

Factory

I like the part below the line.  I think the part above the line needs a cost limit.

Sanctuary

I want a mat for this, like Island.  Otherwise, bland but OK.

Workers' Co-operative
+1 Buy. +$3.

Another charity card.  Probably works.

Smelter
+1 Buy. +$1.

I like it, though I question whether we need another Silver flooder.

Witch Doctor

Amazing in a slog, though it has the same problem as Counting House--it sucks if you draw it late (early in Counting House's case).

Diviner
+2 Cards. +1 Buy.

Way undercosted, just the part above the line should be $3 or even $4.  This gets a bit nutty when played in quantity.

Shoreline
Worth 4 VP.

"I really dislike all of the "when you gain this, +1 Buy" cards... this one no less."

Mill

A one-time attack, plus an interesting Soothsayer-like non-attack portion.  I like it.

Travelling Salesman

When another player gains a Victory card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a card costing less than the gained Victory card.

When I read the card's name, I fully assumed it was going to be something like "gain three cards costing a total of exactly $7."  I think the reaction may be overpowered.

Courier (A)

I like the part above the line, but I want to know how the part below the line works.  Does it stack?  Because if so, having two of these in play is a guaranteed Province, and they're a lot easier to line up than, say, Treasure Map.  Maybe at $5?

Oicho-Kabu
+1 Buy. +$2.

The part below the line seems really swingy.  Often, you don't want the effect.  Oh, and it's usually +$4 because of that effect... that's really crazy powerful.

Wayfarer

More of the "add cash/buys during your Buy phase."

Sultan

Almost always better than Cartographer, and not different enough to warrant a new card.

Safe House
Worth 2 VP.

Neat reaction.  Great against junkers, but also "gain a Copper and a Gold" is better than Cache.  I like it.

Commander
Worth 2 VP

I really don't like the extra clarification, though I can see why it's needed.  I think this will be awful on average though until the endgame, as you're buying a $5 and a dead card.

Midnight Gathering
+1 Action. You may put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile. You may reveal an Action card from it; put it into your hand.

Demonic Tutor?  Probably worth $5, but not exactly novel.

Pasture
Worth 2 VP.

This makes buying Victory cards exceedingly dangerous; you're often (though not always) handing your opponent a $6-plus hand.  Even worse if you're buying more than one Victory card.

Trailblazer

A Workshop, plus a terminal one-shot Scout.  [Insert Scout joke here.]

Bargain

Trash a $5 to gain a Gold, a Province, and possibly a $7?  This is ridiculous in the endgame.  Trash an Estate to gain a Silver, one of these, and a $5?  Trash a Silver to get one of these, a $5, and a Gold?  I'll take two, please.  Way overpowered.

Clairvoyant

I think there is a line where adding complexity to a card for the sake of novelty becomes absurd.  I think this card crosses that line.

Fence

A terminal, better Talisman, that sometimes fails, or a Bridge that substitutes being a Workshop for its +Buy?  Either way, I think it's interesting.

Shaman

Demonic Tutor, with a one-shot Cellar for others.  I'm just not feeling it.

Tinker's Wagon

Embargo-ish, though only once.  What happens when I try to Ambassador a card that is under this?  This also feels like a desperation move in the endgame:  put a Silver on top of the last Province because you only had $7 instead of $8.

Thrift Shop

Once again this is going to empty Supply piles, though at least not Provinces.  But how often are you going to play two of these?  It's all right, but I'm not feeling it.

Grandee

Interesting.  I think the +Buy is a bit superfluous, but otherwise I like it.

Construct

So, I open with two of these, then use one to trash an Estate, gain two of these, and get +2 Actions, +2 Cards, and if I'm lucky, do it a second time.  If there's a good spammable $4 on the board, this becomes crazy.

Missionary

I think this one crosses that complexity line I mentioned earlier.

Chapterhouse

Yeah, there's that complexity line again.  My brain hurts trying to sort this one out.

Barn

We've gone far beyond that complexity line now.

Huntsmen
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

Painful Journey

I just can't bring myself to vote for a card that has the Curse type on it.  Can you discard copies of this to itself?

Wagon Raider

That is an incredibly powerful attack.  And it allows you to gain a Province + Gold for $6.  Not as ridiculous as Rebuild, but still OP.

Nomadic Village
+1 Card. +2 Actions.

Trade a discarded +Cards for this when I have two in my hand?  Yes.  But that's not going to be common... I like this more than the other Demonic Tutor variants, but does everyone think Demonic Tutor belonged in Hinterlands?

Stranger

An interesting Bridge variant.  Could be great, could be lousy... I like it.  Needs something to help track it though as it's a cantrip.

Courier (B)
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

Walled Village, but for +Buy.  I wonder if it needs something more.  Simple but OK.

Sawmill
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

A very odd conditional +Buy.  Stockpile these if there's megaturn potential?  I'm not sure how to best use this.

Pyramid

Big cycling, but doesn't increase your hand size, like Cellar and Warehouse, but gives $1 so it's like adding a Copper to your hand.  Interesting, I like it.

Lucky Coin
Worth $1.

I open with this every single time.  If I'm lucky, I'm P1.

Used Land Salesman
+4 Cards.

I don't think the part below the line on Hunting Grounds is enough better than this to make this only worth $5.

----

Holy crap, that took a long time to type out.  I don't think I'll do that again.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2013, 05:07:37 pm »

Disclaimer : one of those are mine !
I've read all of them first, and I encourage you to write over my thoughts.
What I've seen :
=>some of 'em which get improved after time should belong to Seaside, which is the "opposite" of Hinterlands to me : Seaside is everything about "see you later" (Durations, Treasury, Sea hag, Island that improves deck for rest of game without trashing)
=>beware of "when you gain/buy this, +1 buy" effects !

Palanquin
KC-Palanquin, discard province, draw it again, re-discard, re-draw, re-discard, re-draw, trashing nothing. WHAAAAT ?

Tribe

I hate the on-buy part. The action part "put the other anywhere in your deck" is pretty boring : good, it will be on top. If you draw two dead cards, you will put it on bottom... and then ?

Quagmire
Worth 1 VP.

Not for me, sorry !

Hinterland

Funny name ! But seems pointless to me... if you have a mega-hand, then you won't play this. Otherwise, just grab 4 of these thingies, then 4 silvers into your hand for a Province... yes, but you need to gain those 4 hinterlands first ! How boring !

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

I'm afraid too many of'em can lower the price of Province too fast !
3 of them in play + $7 + any victory card gained this turn : I buy a province for $5, another for $2, and 5 others for free !

Consulate

I hate forced copper-gaining !
Action part is kinda classical.

Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

Gain all the trade aggrements ? Even assuming it is "another card"... might be cool if really needed and for an engine, weak on villageless boards.

Mountain Dwellers

...a peddler that needs treasures to work. I'm not sure. Too bad the on-buy part couldn't also be on gain, with trashing a card from hand.

Emerald Vein

Worth 1 VP.
Again ? ^^ I didn't like the one from the previous contest...

Troglodyte Caves

Cellar + 1 card seems legit at $5, but it may be too much of a mix between it and Border Village. And, like jamespotter said, isn't that better than Cartography ? Yes, but they have different purposes, and it's mostly weaker with discard attacks !

Vendor
+1 Action

Ruined village that lets you trade $1 for 2 buys ? ... not for a kingdom card, sorry !

Artefact

When you buy this, set it aside instead of gaining it. Discard it after you next shuffle your discard pile (or when the game ends).
So you take longer to gain it. Assuming you don't lose track of it, it's interesting, but better in Seaside.

Ring Leader
Seems legit, but boring !

River
Worth 2 VP.

Could be interesting... great idea, a mix between green and non-green !

Factory

Assuming "it" in "put it onto your deck" is the Factory, reaction part is wordy for something simple.
Action part lets me afraid for $4. How to pillage the wharves...

Sanctuary

Like some said, it's a weaker island on-gain, even worse it's forced !
And the action part being even weaker than Moat (except edge-cases, lol !)... you trade a dead card for a bad card !

Workers' Co-operative
+1 Buy. +$3.

Why an action ?

Smelter
+1 Buy. +$1.

Why not in Seaside, which is all about your next turn ?

Witch Doctor

Looking through deck is mostly boring. And the purpose leads to boring games, too ! Victory and Curse are there to trap you after all, deal with them when they are in your hand !

Diviner
+2 Cards. +1 Buy.

A simple and nice card. Should be "look at the top 2 cards" maybe.

Shoreline
Worth 4 VP.

Hate the "+1 buy", and not a huge fan of so simple-cards.

Mill

Another kind of Governor except it can grant you Golds only through cost-reducers. Okay...

Travelling Salesman

When another player gains a Victory card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a card costing less than the gained Victory card.
Legit to me...

Courier (A)

I already tried the action part of this card, and you could discard your hand for a $5 at beginning.
The reaction part is classical, so you like it, or you don't. I personally would like it at $1 only.

Oicho-Kabu
+1 Buy. +$2.

Not for me, sorry !

Wayfarer

Not for me, too !

Sultan

A worse laboratory with a not interesting enough on-buy effect, except sometimes in late-game...

Safe House
Worth 2 VP.

This + Watchtower = epic win ! I don't like this principle of gaining/buying a copper of a gold !

Commander
Worth 2 VP

But can they be gained in another way of gaining Reinforcement ?
I dislike adding new cards into deck, so... not for me, sorry !

Midnight Gathering
+1 action, put any action card from your deck into your hand... warps too much game for $5.

Pasture
Worth 2 VP.

Interesting reaction part, but maybe too swingy... sometimes you hope he is gonna buy it, he won't !

Trailblazer

Lol ! A workscout !

Bargain

Whaaat ? So you trash a starting estate for a silver (or a $3), a $4 and a $5 ? And you are not allowed to have big hands ? ... not for me, sorry !

Clairvoyant
Lots of words for something simple. I like the "discard to bottom" part, though.

Fence
Wooow, no action part, only a "while this is in play", the first time I see this !
Should be "buy" instead of "gain", otherwise, just check out Border village...
But if you compare it to Haggler, you exchange $2 to gain for free a card costing up to $1 less than the card you bought, which isn't even a victory card. But you don't benefit from +$2. Okay... what is better ?

Shaman

Just like Midnight Gathering... warps too much game, too !

Tinker's Wagon

Mechanical, I hate this mecanical !

Thrift Shop

Who will even buy this ? Gain it, lose one card, play it, lose another card, replay it, at least you gain a card...
And 2 another thingies : "when you gain this" means if you gain this without wanting it (Swindler, Jester...), then you'll look foolish + on-play part should be above the line.

Grandee

The most powerful "cheaper gold" (cache, contraband, mandarin) I've seen so far, even though the gold isn't the card itself !

Construct

A KC into two provinces ? A scout into 2 powerful $5 ?
On-gain effect isn't interesting enough to me...

Missionary

Swingyness again...

Chapterhouse

Action part is interesting ! First time I see "draw until you have X" and then "discard" !
I hate on-part, though !

Barn

... too complicated action part !

Huntsmen
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

Not for me !

Painful Journey

Breaking rules with cursed types ? Well...  not for me !

Wagon Raider

Oddly enough, I like the action part, even with no bonus. But the in-play part is just a joke !

Nomadic Village
+1 Card. +2 Actions.

Like the action and reaction part, but not the on-gain part.

Stranger
Should be an attack. And too swingy, too, because you have to get cards that make you interested.

Courier (B)
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

So you keep this nearly-dead card in hand until you want to use your 2nd buy ? Is it a joke ?
Should belong to Seaside.

Sawmill
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

Like above but in reverse... and may be interesting only in big-big-money games with no other source of +buy !

Pyramid

Oasis that grows up when played several times. I don't like it...

Lucky Coin
Worth $1.

Pillage again !!!

Used Land Salesman
+4 Cards.

[/quote]
Could be interesting (junk your deck at start) if it were "when you buy a card that is not a victory card"

LOL ! While I was writing it, 5 replies, and when I re-clicked to submit it, another reply !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2013, 05:13:44 pm »

Sultan

Lab with a slight nerf, but an on-gain effect. It is probably fine, but doesn't excite me all that much. It would be a good buy most of the time, like Lab.
"Discard a card" is more than a slight nerf to Laboratory, whose only function is to increase your handsize.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2013, 05:15:28 pm »

Bargain

Very strong, but with a huge penalty. Hard to gauge its power but it probably is verging on too much in things like draw-to-x. Still, kinda makes me want to try it.
The penalty doesn't seem all that huge.  If you're starting from a 5-card hand, then you're only discarding one card.  And unless you trashed Copper, then you gained at least 3 decent cards on your turn, and maybe bought a fourth.  I think this card will be too strong.
Barn

This is usually going to be gaining estates, which is really not strong. Really unsure this needs to cost $5...
I think $5 is a very reasonable price here.  Whenever it connects with a victory card, it gains a Silver to hand, and it's a cantrip, which is pretty strong.  Plus it's like a $5 Border Village in terms of the on-gain effect.  The jump from $4 to $5 is bigger than the jump from $5 to $6, but the top-decking is nice.  And if you don't have a victory card/curse in hand and it's not end game, no one's making you play it to gain Estate.  Also, there's a weird crazy strategy you could do where you get a lot of Barns, then get Estates whenever they whiff, so that they're more likely to hit.  Probably not a good idea though.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2013, 05:21:07 pm »

Is Palanquin really as overpowered as people are making it out to be?

If you discard a $3 is a Stables where you lose an average action instead of a copper. If you discard a $2, its even worse.

If you discard a $4+, sure its better but you are now probably losing a reasonable strong card.

I mean yes, its too strong. Put Peddlers in the game and it is crazy powerful. But I don't think it would always be a game breaking must buy like some people are claiming here.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2013, 05:23:41 pm »

This is really just a list of cards that sounded unbalanced to me, and could be easily compared to something familiar. I have most likely been scooped on everything I've written.

Palanquin
Okay, you can't say strictly better around this crowd without first defining a poset on all Dominion cards, but come on. 90% of Apprentice's job is crazy nonterminal draw for putting your deck into your hand, and 80-90% of the cards that will help you do that are actions. This removes the interesting part of Apprentice, but doesn't add anything in return.

Hinterland

I really like this card, but the more I think about how I'd use it, the less useful it seems. Native Village gives me the option to keep stacking cards before I pull them out, and gives me +2 Actions for my current. For $4, I'd want this to be nonterminal and gain me Silver on play (perhaps to the mat after the swap, so I'm tempted to play it more than once). It's wonky enough that you could only use it to boost a future turn at the expense of your current one, and they certainly don't stack well in multiples. I don't think either change would be out of line, and doing both would make the cost appropriate.

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

Does this need "in your Buy phase" anywhere? It just doesn't sound right as written.

Sanctuary

Does not compare favorably to Island or Inn/YW.

Mill

A lot of people like IGG in this contest, and now I wonder if they were really looking for a legal way to make an unmoatable attack. Here the self-synergy is pretty obvious (Militia them the first time, then Margrave until the Mills are gone) but with an attack like this, I'm worried that every game will turn into 'piledrive Mills, then turn on Duchys and Estates'. It's certainly interesting, but it needs a playtest more than Philanthropist did.

Sultan

Does the one-time mini Cartographer really justify pricing this the same as Lab? Same as above, not rhetorical, I'm honestly curious. It sounds like the sort of thing you buy for the effect, and take the card as a bonus.

Safe House
Worth 2 VP.

I thought this was very clever as an alternative Tunnel, but I don't think there's any room for it with an identical card already.

Commander
Worth 2 VP

Pretty cool. I would actually like this better if the number of cards did scale; both for uniformity and to avoid the main problem with IGG games. If someone in a two-player game wanted to piledrive 8 Commanders, then there would still be two reinforcements, and no one would be snorting up two piles twice as fast as they should. Similarly if three players all really wanted the bonus cards, there'd still be two Commanders you'd have to buy before the second pile ran out.

Bargain

Not only can this turn $5 cards into Provinces, but it gives you a Gold as well. If you play Expand as your first action, you'd end up with three cards anyway instead of two. again I do math for a living I know what a poset is okay

Clairvoyant
Love this. I can honestly say my only complaint is that I would rather this be two cards because that would be twice as good as one. I like $2 cards, and each effect could probably support a $2 cantrip or something similar on its own.

Tinker's Wagon

Not even going to try to figure out which edge cases break the rules, and clean-up could turn into a nightmare. My main concern is that it does Embargo's job worse. If somebody Embargos Mountebank or some other power $5, you have to make the decision of whether that Curse is worth it. Here, the decision isn't even available. Sure, you could buy the top card, but that helps the next player, not you. You buy the Rats, player 3 buys that Mountebank, and then player 1 buys another Wagon just to piss you off. If there's anything on the board Rats level or worse, then the Embargo penalty is '-$4 -1Buy gain a crap card' instead of 'gain a Curse'.

Lucky Coin
Worth $1.

Unmoatable cheap Pillage that gives you a junk card in return . . . not sure that's entirely balanced. Could be, I just have no guess for it.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:59 pm »
+5

I didn't think Palanquin was quite as broken as people are making out. Being limited to actions is a big penalty - while it might well eventually lead to deck-drawing goodness, it'll take a bit of time to get the action density for it. I do think it's probably a little too good though, especially as a mid-late game pickup.

Also I notice that LFN actually changed my card a little in the re-wording, and made it better as a result. A shame he didn't rebalance it...

Oh, and I do suggest people are careful about reading cards. When you have something complex like Barn it's easy to get confused with what the card does and pretty forgiveable, but calling a card broken because you didn't read a single word out of 10 words is kind of bad. It happens to everyone, sure, just make sure to pick up on it before you vote I suppose.

Edit: Also remember that cards can be tweaked! If you think a card idea is really awesome but the card itself is broken because it's Silver + benefit at $4 instead of $5, or instead of being Copper + benefit, go ahead and vote for it. Those tweaks are easy. Better to have interesting cards which are adjusted later than just mediocre ideas that are balanced immediately.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:33:37 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2013, 05:37:36 pm »
+1

Woah, look at the third definition of fence (from thefreedictionary.com:

a. One who receives and sells stolen goods.
b. A place where stolen goods are received and sold.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2013, 05:38:13 pm »

Edit: Also remember that cards can be tweaked! If you think a card idea is really awesome but the card itself is broken because it's Silver + benefit at $4 instead of $5, or instead of being Copper + benefit, go ahead and vote for it. Those tweaks are easy. Better to have interesting cards which are adjusted later than just mediocre ideas that are balanced immediately.

I am going to second this with one caveat. Cost tweaks are in some sense the easiest changes to make, but if you think the cost needs adjusting by more than $1, something is wrong and that can reflect poorly on the idea.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2013, 05:38:57 pm »

This, this, a thousand times this. My favorite card here is Hinterland, not because it's good as-is but because of what it could be. I'll post in more detail about my favorites later.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »

Also, I have updated Fence so that it activates when you buy a card rather than when you gain one. This time it wasn't a typo on my part, but it's an obvious mistake that I should have caught and I'd rather have a reasonable card on the ballot than an obviously-broken one. "Obviously-broken" as in it can run out a few piles with Border Village, not "obviously-broken" like Palanquin. That kind of "obviously broken" is valid.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »

This, this, a thousand times this. My favorite card here is Hinterland, not because it's good as-is but because of what it could be. I'll post in more detail about my favorites later.

Well that's fair I guess, but I think Hinterland needs like a lot more than mere tinkering. It's just flatly terrible as written.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2013, 05:47:45 pm »

Well that's fair I guess, but I think Hinterland needs like a lot more than mere tinkering. It's just flatly terrible as written.

Agreed, agreed. But even with a lot of tinkering, the core mechanic is what I find compelling, and that wouldn't change. If it wins (and I hope it does), it would almost definitely be changed (after a cursory test to make sure it actually sucks in practice).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:10 pm »

Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

So these can just auto-pile?  I don't like that...it means that if you have $5 and a Trade Agreement in play at the right time, the game ends one pile early.  I mean I guess that's a pretty specific situation, but that might make it even weirder...do I empty the second pile, hoping my opponent doesn't have $5 and a Trade Agreement?  I don't really like it, but maybe it's not broken.

Totally missed that.  TA in play, gain a TA, gain another TA, etc.  Easy fix for this issue is to make it "when you buy".

Commander
Worth 2 VP

So the Reinforcement cards are in the supply and can be gained by other cards, just not bought.  I think I've seen this card or something very similar to it somewhere before, and I like it a lot.

Oh, they can still be gained.  So the wording issue I thought I had found is not actually an issue. :P

Barn

It's worth noting that these can auto-pile with just one Highway or Bridge in play, and even top-deck themselves while doing it.

Nice catch.  I think that's an issue.

At the request of the author, I have changed Artefact's wording back such that when you buy it, it will eventually make its way into your discard pile without you actually ever gaining it.

Weird... I can't think of an interaction where that even matters.  I guess you can't Trader it away.  You can't Watchtower it.  Anything else?

Palanquin

Didn't even get past the first one yet, OMG this is so ridiculously unbalanced. You just buy this and only this. Play Palanquin, discard Palanquin, get +1 Action +5 Cards??? You will be drawing your whole deck with like 3 of these. It's not even terribroken, it's just broken.

I was going to say "Strictly better than Apprentice" but then I would have to qualify it with "when there are no Potion cards in the kingdom" and also be prepared for all those edge cases where you actually want to trash a card instead of discarding it (Rats, etc.). So I'll just almost say it, instead.
Apprentice doesn't have to trash action cards...

I missed that too, but it still seems too good to me.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2013, 05:49:19 pm »

It's a one shot Chapel that gains you a Silver, and gives you +$ endgame if you really need it, doesn't seem terrible to me. If anything it might be a bit too good.

Unless you mean effect wise, and effect wise it's tricky to change it nicely.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2013, 06:04:12 pm »

What is it that people see in Hinterland? (That's a serious question.) To me, the concept seems really weak, even for a $2 card.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2013, 06:08:08 pm »

It's a one shot Chapel that gains you a Silver, and gives you +$ endgame if you really need it, doesn't seem terrible to me. If anything it might be a bit too good.

Unless you mean effect wise, and effect wise it's tricky to change it nicely.

I'm not sure 1-shot Chapel IS very good. And it lacks Chapel's flexibility, sine you just have to send your hand over to the mat. The Silver in puts in your hand on that turn is probably useless, unless you play other coin-generating cards before terminal Hinterland.

Assuming you put a band hand onto the mat, Hinterland is now a totally dead card (you probably won't ever prefer that hand to the one you have).

Trying to tuck a good hand away on to the mat seems like a whole lot of trouble for no reason.

Yeah, I still say pointlessly weak.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

This card confuses me. I understand the purpose of the "when you gain a victory card" clause, but it seems a clunky solution. Also, I think this card might be too good in multiples, or in combination with other cost reducers. The +1 action makes it easily playable, and the +2 buys is really good, especially at $3. Now that I think about it though, the card itself is fairly weak, and is almost useless except late in the game, when the low price won't matter to you as much. Overall, I think I like this card, but it will need some playtesting to see if it creates broken combos.

I think it does create a possibly broken combo with Highway (see my post), but it should be easy to fix by tweaking the vanilla bonuses.

Safe House
Worth 2 VP.

This feels a lot like tunnel, with the whole "Victory card that gains gold" thing. It might be overpowered, however, because it lets me buy a gold+copper for $0, when gold+2 coppers costs $5.

That's a good point, hm.

Fence

This is broken, as it will allow you to gain a whole pile of $5s and the Border Village pile. It is also odd because it has no "Action effect".

Whoa, totally missed this bug with Border Village.  Easy fix is "when you BUY a card".

Consulate

This is really, really strong. It's a warehouse that keeps a card and has a situational buff/nerf on gain. That extra card in hand makes this way better than warehouse, and warehouse is strong.

Hmm, maybe it IS too strong.  I thought it looked OK at first, but the comparison with Warehouse makes it iffier.  $3 and $4 are not so far apart.  It might be too weak for $5 though.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2013, 06:31:03 pm »
+1

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

I think it does create a possibly broken combo with Highway (see my post), but it should be easy to fix by tweaking the vanilla bonuses.

You don't even need Highway.  Play four Pilgrimages.  You have 9 buys.  Buy an Estate, reducing Victory cards by $4.  Buy another Estate (for free this time).  Now Provinces are free.  Buy 7 of them.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16  All

Page created in 2.531 seconds with 21 queries.