Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Minions and putting cards back  (Read 2430 times)

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Minions and putting cards back
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:29 am »

Got a strategy question on Minions.

Two possible scenarios, all starting with the same sort of starting hand.

1) In game one, your opponent plays minion, you've got your "normal" 5 card hand. You've got a secret chamber,  play it, get seven cards in total, of which you need to put 2 back. Your seven cards contain at least 2 minions (let's say 2). Do you :

a) Put the majority of the minions in your hand
b) Keep 1 in your hand and put the other one back on your deck
c) Put the two minions on your deck

Of course what you expect him to decide plays a big role in this.

2) Your opponent plays a ghost ship and you have your "normal" 5-card hand with at least 2 minions (let's say 2). Do you :

a) Keep the majority of the minions in your hand
b) Keep 1 in your hand and put the other one back on your deck
c) Put the two minions on your deck (that seems a bit weird to me, but okay)

Thanks for the advice!
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Minions and putting cards back
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:51:28 am »

It really depends on what kind of deck the other guy is playing.  in scenario one, he played a minion, but is he actually playing a minion deck?  Or did he just snag a few to take them from you?  If he is playing a minion deck, then with the secret chamber hand, I would put 2 minions back on top of your deck.  Now you also may or may not be playing a minion deck, so if you are, I would put both back, but if you aren't, I wouldn't put them back.  I would put whatever pieces back that you are going to need to start your engine, either this turn when he makes you discard/draw, or when you discard/draw yourself with the 2 minions you didn't put back. ghost ship is a little different.  I would probably keep both minions in my hand, that way I can net 2$ and get 4 new cards (2 of which you already had).  Even if the cards you put back were junk, you still are countering a ghost ship pin because you aren't getting stuck with the same crap over and over. 

Just my 2 cents, other more experienced players will tell me why I'm wrong :P

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:25:01 am »

I agree with AHoppy for the most parts, but for 1), if it's the early game (=if there are any Minions left in the supply), the opponent usually takes $2, because more often than not, it guarantees a Minion purchase while the attack option makes a Minion purchase quite unlikely. If he's playing his second Minion this turn, you'll just have to play mind games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:22:31 am »

In the Ghost Ship example I would put 1 Minion back and keep a Minion with 2 junk cards. Then use the Minion for a new hand.
You're still guaranteed at least 2$, but if your 2nd hand is also mostly junk, you have the possibility of drawing a new hand.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:24 am »

In the Ghost Ship example I would put 1 Minion back and keep a Minion with 2 junk cards. Then use the Minion for a new hand.
You're still guaranteed at least 2$, but if your 2nd hand is also mostly junk, you have the possibility of drawing a new hand.
I wouldn't do this, since in a Minion deck, you want to collide your Minions as much as possible and you shouldn't have a lot of junk in your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:57:31 am »
+1

I suggest that if you are using the minions as your primary money source (or more precisely, payload), you are really doing it wrong.
So I suggest that, generally, keep one minion with the rest junk cards as much as possible - but there are of course many exceptions.

GiB

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:24:50 pm »
+2

1) In game one, your opponent plays minion, you've got your "normal" 5 card hand. You've got a secret chamber, play it, get seven cards in total, of which you need to put 2 back.

You've got a secret chamber, play it, get seven cards in total, of which you need to put 2 back.

You've got a secret chamber, play it

Secret Chamber

If you voluntarily got one of these, it must be a particular Kingdom, making the question biaised. (yes, in before Secret Chamber jokes)

But in general, what I would do would mainly depend on how many cards are left in my deck, to avoid my Minions missing a reshuffle.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »
+7

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:44:59 pm »

If you voluntarily got one of these, it must be a particular Kingdom, making the question biaised. (yes, in before Secret Chamber jokes)
Well, they do have a mild synergy with Minion: if you have the Action spare, you can Secret Chamber away some cards that you would have discarded to the Minion anyway.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 20 queries.