Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Embargo token on Farmland with Trader  (Read 2369 times)

Maarten

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Embargo token on Farmland with Trader
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:47:46 am »

In a game yesterday the following situation arose:

There's an Embargo token on Farmland, I have 6 coins to spend and a Trader in hand. I would like to buy the Farmland, show the Trader, get a Silver instead of a Curse, then trash that Trader for another Farmland.

Here is the problem:

Embargo says: When a player buys a card, he gains a Curse card per Embargo token on that pile.
Farmland says: When you buy this, trash a card from your hand. [...]

If the trashing from the Farmland goes before the gaining from the Embargo, I would already have trashed my Trader, so I can't trade the Curse I would get for a Silver. But if the gaining from the Embargo goes before the trashing from the Farmland, I would be able to use my Trader to get a Silver before trashing it.

Any ideas which instruction should be followed first?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Embargo token on Farmland with Trader
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:52:11 am »
+3

In a game yesterday the following situation arose:

There's an Embargo token on Farmland, I have 6 coins to spend and a Trader in hand. I would like to buy the Farmland, show the Trader, get a Silver instead of a Curse, then trash that Trader for another Farmland.

Here is the problem:

Embargo says: When a player buys a card, he gains a Curse card per Embargo token on that pile.
Farmland says: When you buy this, trash a card from your hand. [...]

If the trashing from the Farmland goes before the gaining from the Embargo, I would already have trashed my Trader, so I can't trade the Curse I would get for a Silver. But if the gaining from the Embargo goes before the trashing from the Farmland, I would be able to use my Trader to get a Silver before trashing it.

Any ideas which instruction should be followed first?

Since both effects are supposed to happen at the same time ("when you buy"), you choose the order. So you're totally within your rights to resolve Embargo first (reveal Trader, gain Silver) and then resolve Farmland (trash Trader, gain Farmland).

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:04:08 am »

How is Goko handling things like that?

I have never been asked by Goko to choose an order of events, at least not that I remember...

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:08:04 am »

I have never been asked by Goko to choose an order of events, at least not that I remember...

I tried this on Goko, and you gain the curse before deciding what to trash with Farmland.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:15:04 am »
+2

I tried this on Goko, and you gain the curse before deciding what to trash with Farmland.

Goko knows what the player wants.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:16:23 am »
+2

But maybe that's not a bad thing, considering how they implemented choosing the order of cards you put on top of your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 05:25:43 pm »
+1

I know one case where Goko does this. When you trash multiple cards at once, Goko will ask in which order to resolve the on-trash abilities when at least two cards of them have an on-trash ability (though the only moment when that happened for me was when all trashed cards just drew me cards (rats, cultist, OE), so there it was a bit unnecessary. But it's better to have some unnecessary decisions than to not be able to make some decisions).

As far as I know Goko never asks the order of on-gain or on-buy effects though, which is (IMO) a bug.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 02:25:18 pm »
+2

As far as I know Goko never asks the order of on-gain or on-buy effects though, which is (IMO) a bug.

It's still "In Progress", which is a huge joke. I doubt they'll ever implement it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.557 seconds with 21 queries.