Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: in which I use steed for the silver twice (sans feoda)  (Read 1359 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
in which I use steed for the silver twice (sans feoda)
« on: November 19, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »
+2

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131119/log.5075b25251c30da02a09b898.1384898026341.txt

Code: [Select]
Oasis, Woodcutter, Marauder, Mining Village, Tournament, Trader, Graverobber, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mystic, Possession

Nothing particularly elegant about this slog.  It wasn't a close game (I got some decent luck, my opponent's mystics were only ever just silver), but I wanted to ask whether you think the silver gains were correct and discuss the steed-for-silver option more generally.  Certainly it's less frequently useful as compared with the others.

My first gain is on T12.  Treasurewise, my deck has 2 IGG, a spoils, a gold, and my starting coppers.  I've also got Followers, Steed, Mining Village, 2 Ruins, 2 Oases, 3 Tourneys.  Plus an estate and a province and shelters.  I am way ahead already as my opponent has one gold on me, 3 curses, and nothing else too exciting.  My main objective is to clamp down on my lead.  My deck feels pretty thin; I'm not hitting $5 reliably, let alone $8.  I think it'd be real hard to hit $8 reliably at all on this board.  That being the case, my sense is that at this point I can basically ride IGGs, picking an odd province, piling out on curses and ruins and one other pile (ends up to be IGG), so my thinking is that I do want to hit $5 reliably.  So I go for silvers.  T16 I do it again for the same reason.

So: silvers are good here because I'm not trying to put engine parts together (I've already got the steed and the followers), I haven't got a lot of treasure, I do have a fair amount of junk with no trashing, I'm not trying to double province, I mainly want to hit $5 reliably and often.  Contrariwise, the +2 options are best for getting to $8 (or supporting other actions), neither of which is a strong concern.

There will be other cases where you take the silver, e.g. fuel for tfb, the occasional engine that needs a boost of silver (tho that's got to be pretty rare), and of course feodum, but you basically need a constellation of unusual circumstances for the gains to be useful.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: in which I use steed for the silver twice (sans feoda)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:29:58 pm »
+2

I'd've thought Trader was the key card on this board; it's a hard counter to Marauder and IGG, and has synergy with IGG because you can take a Silver instead of a Copper-in-hand.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:43:11 pm »
+4

I think Steed-for-Silver is underrated and very often useful.  In Tournament games, you are usually rushing to get that first Province, and that typically means that you are greening too early in comparison to non-Tournament games.  Your economy will not be in the best shape and those 4 Silvers from TS can be a real boost.  The Silvers are also helpful if your opponent got to Followers first (which is often the case when you settle for Steed) because the Silvers help counter the incoming Curses.

I recall reading in this forum that the Silver option is often the best option for the first time you play Steed.  Can't remember who said it, but I think it was one of the top players.  Not sure if it's true, but it definitely sounds reasonable to me.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 06:24:17 am »
+1

I'd've thought Trader was the key card on this board; it's a hard counter to Marauder and IGG, and has synergy with IGG because you can take a Silver instead of a Copper-in-hand.
Just to clarify, if you reveal Trader on the incoming Copper from IGG, the Silver goes to your discard pile (it's a regular gain at that point) instead of your hand. I think you meant that as well, but just wanted to make it clear.

Now, indeed, Trader looks pretty good here as you've got so much incoming stuff. You've got Estates from Followers, Curses and Coppers from IGG, Ruins from Marauder and heck, you can even reveal it to the remaining prizes from Tournament if you want.

That being said, I like Steed for Silver here, it's a good little economy boost to a slogging deck.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »

yeah, a trader or two wouldn't have hurt here.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.071 seconds with 21 queries.