Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Band of Outcasts (Two new card ideas)  (Read 7021 times)

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: Band of Outcasts (Two new card ideas)
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 05:40:24 pm »

OK.

First the weird interactions.  I think it could be fixed by: Buy an action card costing at least 2 immediately, putting it into your hand.  Does that work?

As for the trashing this card if the card it buys trashes itself - I'm tempted to leave it as it without this clause as eHalcyon suggests.

So the wording would be:

Band of Outcasts
4$, Action

+3$

Buy an action card costing at least 2$ immediately, putting it into your hand.

Play it, then return it to the supply.

I played a couple more test solo games with it - again playing until around 13 turns.

Kingdom was:
Workshop
Baron, Band of Outcasts, Coppersmith,
Rebuild, Mine, Lab, Outpost, Wharf
Harem

I think I was slightly undone by my own lack of skill.  I tried two games.

First - the aim was using BoO as Rebuild, 2nd using BoO as Wharf.

But I kept losing this focus!
The first game I used it on workshop, baron & rebuild
The second game I used it on Coppersmith, Lab and Wharf (more labs then wharf's in the end, which wasn't good)

Neither game did I make it to 4 provinces by turn 13 (although the rebuild game did have 4 Duchies, 3 Harem and 2 provinces).

Put simply I think there are better strategies on this board (I'm guessing pure rebuild) than BoO - maybe using one to slingshot turn 3/4 with a nearly guaranteed 6+ with the nice synergies with baron/coppersmith.

Conclusions
I think there are definitely situation where you'd use it on a 5, but I over invested on them - maybe one into rebuild would be optimal, maybe using it as a rebuild as well.

I think it really shines with villages, especially given they are generally lower cost to mimic.

So - still positive I think - it still seems fun to me, and doesn't seem overpowered, and I think it would get played on 5, although probably less than 2-4.  It certainly is an interesting opener and feels different (at least to me) to Band of Misfits.

(PS. I'm sure there could be a nice play - BoM on BoO paying 2+ and playing a 5+  8) )
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:12:29 pm by ta56636 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 07:23:30 pm »

Drab was the one who suggested leaving out the trashing clause. :)

I don't think putting it in your hand actually solves the issue.  I think the problem is whether BoO gains the card.  As written, it really does.  Because of that, lose track rule can come into play in various ways.  Possession is the biggest one, and saying "put it into your hand" doesn't help because it goes to the opponent and you shouldn't be able to bring it back.  This is tough to hammer down.

I'm still not sure if BoO manages to fill a new niche.  Consider that if you only use it cards costing less than $5, it is extremely similar to BoM.  The main differences: it costs less, but it costs $1 to mimic $4 cards, and you get $1 if you use it for a $2 card.  If you only use it on cards costing less than $4, it has a strictly better effect compared to BoM AND it costs less.  This says to me that it really should cost $5, especially considering that you also have options to mimic $5+ cards AND there are cute combos with cost reduction (especially with Quarry, oh man that would be crazy) and treasure playing (e.g. doing the Tactician-Black Market trick, with BoO filling in for BM).  Overall though, it's just very similar to BoM.

So that probably means that the niche to go for is flexibility in choosing $5+ cards.  But this causes some problems too.  If there are no strong $5s, it's unlikely to be worth getting BoO.  Having to pay $2 to get a weak effect is not what you want; $2 is a big cost here.  If there is a single strong $5 card, you really don't want to have to pay $2 just to use its effect -- might as well get that $5 card directly.  Even with multiple strong $5s, the cost of paying $2 is very high.

Off the top of my head, the $5s that would play best with BoO would be:

- Tactician.  Not only can you pull off double tac thanks to playing treasures in the action phase, you can also use BoO to mimic Tactician with little penalty.  You were discarding your hand anyway so it's OK to pay $2 for the privilege.
- Counting House.  If you draw CH too early in your shuffle, you are out of luck.  If you draw BoO early, you can find something else to do with it.
- Library, maybe Minion.  Mostly because you can drop all your treasure before drawing cards.

I can't think of any super situational expensive cards that you wouldn't just buy directly other than Counting House... maybe Forge?  But now you're paying $3, that's even tougher.  The other cards -- Tact, CH, Library, Minion -- work well more for the Black Market mechanic than the BoM mechanic.

You said that it feels different from BoM.  Can you elaborate on how?  Just theoretically, it does not seem all that different.

Perhaps what you could do is something like this:

Outcasts
$5 - Action
You may discard a Treasure.  If you do, play this again as if it were an Action card in the Supply costing less than $6 that you choose.  This is that card until it leaves play.

Possibly it may work fine copying even $7 cards, so that restriction might not be needed.  But if it were needed, cost reduction still gets past it (unlike with BoM).  Maybe it would be more dangerous with Potion cards if it had no cost restriction.  Buy this, forget the Potion... hm.

So, rules-wise this should work almost exactly the same as BoM as far as copying cards goes.  This is nice because you no longer have to worry about weird rules interactions.  A small difference is that, unlike BoM, this would get played twice -- once as itself (making you discard a Treasure), then a second time as whatever you are copying.

Feel-wise, it should be very different.  It is now clearly worse at copying cheap cards because it still costs you a Treasure, but it can also copy more expensive cards that BoM couldn't touch.  Compared to BoO, this is better at copying $5s (you can discard a Copper instead of paying $2).  It drops the Black Market mechanic, but some would argue that that little trick should stay with BM. :P

My questions for you:
- What is your goal with Band of Outcasts?
- How should it be different from Band of Misfits?
- As it is now, how is it different from BoM (since you said it feels different)?

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 07:48:29 am »

Ha - I quite like your outcasts too!

Firstly - aside from procession, which I just don't know enough about, I think that it is clear enough how you should play it.  I personally would complete the sentence: "Buy an action card costing at least 2$ immediately, putting it into your hand." before triggering the on gain effects.

As to your questions - I think that obviously we have to address what different actually is: obviously they are similar, but I'd argue they were at least as different village/mining village or workshop/feast - possibly more so.  But even looking at workshop/feast they are surprisingly different cards.

I feel the key differences:

- You are much more likely to open BoO giving it a different role.  I also think it would be hard to justify buying it at 5.
- It plays much more relationship with what treasure you've got in your hand - so how you use it depends on how much money that will leave you with.  And it does have very different relationships whether you mimic a 2,3,4 or 5.  For example you might mimic a secret chamber just to get the extra +1 out of it.
- I'm sure it would get use on 5+s. Curses, Wharf, Festival, Minion, Haggler, Border Village, KC etc.

If you've time I think it is a card worth trying out to get a feel for it - I'm not desperate to convince you, but I'm fairly happy at the moment, and will see how it does in a few more games :)

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 05:01:03 pm »

OK one more test game (this time two players):

Woodcutter, Urchin, Lookout, Wishing Well
Rats, Militia, Band of Outcasts, Throne Room
Grave robber, Bandit Camp
+ Shelters

To be honest both of us played poorly, so not sure what you can read into it.  I over invested in mercenaries and had nothing to feed them.  But still a fun game.

Band of Outcasts was used on Woodcutter, Urchin, Wishing Well, Militia, Throne Room and Bandit Camp (and I would have used it on Grave robber if the right cards had come up).

Things got a tiny bit confusing with Urchin (but not too bad) and Band of Outcasts stacked up 4$-wise against Militia and Throne Room (I opened BoO/Urchin (to try for a quick Mercenary), but given the choice would probably open Urchin/Militia or Militia/Silver if played again).  I agree that the wording is not quite 100% there, however I think it's near enough to be clear what the intension is.

The alternate working suggested a the very start of this thread also had the interesting reaction that TR->BoO meant that two different cards could be played - a nice difference.

At this stage I'm relatively happy just to add it into my general pool of dominion cards ... but maybe have a few games with the other 111 kingdom cards for a bit :D
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 20 queries.