Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #1: Prosperity  (Read 97345 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #1: Prosperity
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2013, 12:35:33 pm »

I don't know if you've planned this far ahead but I assume that we're going to see the first round for every expansion before we see the second round for the large expansions? It could be relevant for some card ideas that I have that could fit into multiple expansions.

I hadn't planned on ensuring that, no. But it seems like a good idea to spread them out like that. We'll do each of the large expansions in a random order, then each of the small ones in a random order, then each of the large ones again (in a different random order).

In other news, we now have 40 valid submissions.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2013, 12:50:27 pm »

I don't know if you've planned this far ahead but I assume that we're going to see the first round for every expansion before we see the second round for the large expansions? It could be relevant for some card ideas that I have that could fit into multiple expansions.

I hadn't planned on ensuring that, no. But it seems like a good idea to spread them out like that. We'll do each of the large expansions in a random order, then each of the small ones in a random order, then each of the large ones again (in a different random order).

How many invalid submissions :P?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2013, 01:14:27 pm »

How many invalid submissions :P?

Significantly fewer. Like, less than five.

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2013, 12:28:13 am »

Because many of these cards have not been play tested (including mine)...

1) What are we voting based on? How well it fits the theme(s) of the set, how it would interact with other cards in the set, and the mechanics of the card?

2) Will are submissions be tweaked at all (via public suggestions)? I know I would like other's opinions on how mine could improve. (especially pricing the card... that is always a shot in the dark for me.)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2013, 12:52:16 am »
+10

I'm sure Mine was just as thoroughly playtested as the rest of the cards in base Dominion.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2013, 03:07:09 am »

I'm about to also submit a card for this contest.

A question (actually two): In a few hours you'll post all cards, and then the idea is that there will be big discussions like "this card is broken", "that card mechanic is so cool", "that card really should cost $X", right? In those discussions, are you allowed to "defend" your own card (give reasons why the card cost is good or the card is not broken)?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2013, 03:31:32 am »
+1

I'm about to also submit a card for this contest.

A question (actually two): In a few hours you'll post all cards, and then the idea is that there will be big discussions like "this card is broken", "that card mechanic is so cool", "that card really should cost $X", right? In those discussions, are you allowed to "defend" your own card (give reasons why the card cost is good or the card is not broken)?

Generally, it's considered bad form to "overtly" defend your card, I think. But you may feel free to gently point out errors in other people's analysis of cards, including yours.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:04 am »

Cards are up on the first page of the thread. I need to get some breakfast, so voting rules will be posted in an hour or so.

1) What are we voting based on? How well it fits the theme(s) of the set, how it would interact with other cards in the set, and the mechanics of the card?

2) Will are submissions be tweaked at all (via public suggestions)? I know I would like other's opinions on how mine could improve. (especially pricing the card... that is always a shot in the dark for me.)

Once voting starts, you should vote based on a combination of how good you think the card is and how well you think it would work in its "native" expansion. Cards will be tweaked, so don't reject a card based on cost, numbers, etc. if you think the card could work after tweaking.

EDIT: Oh, you'll notice that I've pre-quoted all the cards for your convenience. When you start a discussion about a submission, please include the quoted card so that everybody knows what you're talking about without having to look back at the ballot. eHalcyon, I'm looking at you!  :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:20:46 am by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2013, 11:12:29 am »
+1

Hey, I quoted every card during the first contest!  :P

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2013, 11:48:32 am »
+2

Relic
Types: Treasure
Cost: $6
Worth $2. When you play this, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand and play area. If you trashed at least one Action card,  +$2 and +1 VP.

This has some interesting/funky combos with Dark Ages cards (especially ruins), and that seems probably fine. I have always wanted something besides Mint that lets you trash from play, and I think this is good.

Artist
Types: Action
+$3. You may trash this. If you do, the first time you buy a Victory card this turn, +3 VP.

While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, +1 VP.

Pretty fantastic in engines, seems like Goons-level of power. Makes megaturns even bigger (and potentially makes them 'smaller' so that a simple, timely pile out can yield a lot of vp in one turn).

Usurer
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Discard the rest. Trash the Treasure; gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it, putting it on top of your deck. Each other player may gain a Copper, putting it into his hand.

Cantrip Mine that helps your next hand instead of this one. I suppose it works pretty well in a stack, but it seems a little weak, I'm definitely not sure it needs the copper-gaining penalty.

Treasure Chest
Cost: $4
Worth $1. When you play this, discard the top card of your deck. If it is a Treasure, gain a Silver

Seems weak, like probably weaker than Talisman. It's best early, but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to open with 2 of them.

Strong Room
Cost: $5
+4 Cards. +1 Action. You may return up to 4 VP tokens. Discard 4 cards, minus 1 card per VP token returned.

In games using this, at the beginning of each turn of the player who went first, each player gets +1 VP.

This is really different and would totally change the landscape of any game with it due to the gaining of VP. The card itself might be decent, probably the best use would be to pick one or maaaybe 2 cards from the 4, but returning VP tokens really hurts (especially if your opponent isn't). You're almost cursing yourself.

Metropolis
Cost: $7
+1 Card. +2 Actions. Treasure cards other than Copper produce an extra $1 this turn.

The 7 cost cards are "big" versions of some of the basic functions of the game: Forge is big trashing, Bank is big money, King's Court is big actions (and big anything else, depending on the other action), Expand is big trash-for-benefit. This is an action version of big money and it does it pretty differently from bank. Stacks really well, but it's hard to get in multiples. Seems good.

Stock Exchange
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may buy any number of VP tokens for $1 per token.

A bit hard to analyze, but this would make for really a different sort of engine, which is good, but that archetype may be too strong. Not being limited by buys is a huge factor. I'll probably vote for it but it might need a little nerf.

Chalice
Worth $3.

While this is in play, when you buy a Treasure card gain 2 Coppers, when you buy a Victory card gain a Curse.

This feels a lot like Cache. But I think that it would be way too good in games with cursers after the curses run out. Just a no-brainer.

Surveyor
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. You may reveal a Province or Colony from your hand. If you do, +1 VP. You may return 3 VP to the supply. If you do, gain a Province.

Interesting but pretty strong. Feels better than highway like 75% of the time and I love highway. This is just so so good in draw-your-deck games and it's not too tough to stack.

Gilded Statue
Worth $2. When you play this, you may discard a Treasure. If you do, gain a Gold.

When you gain this, gain an Action card costing up to $4.

This feels worse than Hoard. Discarding a treasure to gain a gold makes this actually usually worth just $1. And it's more expensive.

Railway Town
+1 Card. +2 Actions. +$1. If you have played railway town at least twice this turn, +1 Buy. If you have played it at least three times this turn, +1 VP. If you have played it at least four times this turn, +$1. If you have played it at least five times this turn, +1 Card.

Thematic, which is cool. Seems really strong with draw-your-deck/scheme/KC but what isn't, I guess. Probably not great with more than 2 players though.

Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, each other player gains a card costing at most $2 less than it.

Even for $7, this seems awfully strong. Or degenerate. I don't know, maybe it ought to be a Treasure/Attack. I mean, who is going to want to buy a colony with this in play? I'd just want to build my engine with cheap parts and feed estates/coppers to the opponents. Seems like it'd be frustrating to play, but maybe it'd just be an "everyone's happy" card like Council Room.

Wedding
+1 Action. Reveal cards from the top you your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card. If you do reveal a card of each of these types, put an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card from among the revealed cards into you hand. Discard the other revealed cards.

A little like a Hunting Party that draws an extra card, but one of those cards is going to be a victory card. Not especially good in draw-your-deck or in multiples unless you've got plenty of each type of card or filtering. But it still seems like a good candidate for a "big drawing" $7.

Palace
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, during the Buy phase, Colonies cost $2 less, but not less than $0. While this is in play, when you buy a Platinum, +2 VP.
Setup: Add Colony and Platinum to the Supply.

Should probably be +$1 then +1 Buy, but that's semantics. With the expanded card pool, I actually like the idea of a card that automatically puts Colonies into the game. This is a neat card. It's amazingly strong but it's pretty bad early, so you'd want to build an engine that can gain a lot of these in the mid-game and then play them quickly. Possibly encourages a different style of play, which is great.

Crown (A)
Cost: $8*
Worth $1. When you play this, gain 2 Treasure cards.

During your turn, this costs $1 less per 2 VP chips you have.
When you gain this, +2 VP.

Really good with Monument/Bishop/Goons or in Platinum games. Probably too slow otherwise. A little confusing too, incorporating an on-gain effect, on-play gaining, and cost reduction based on counting.

Cathedral
Gain two action cards costing less than this and a Gold.

Huge gaining at the $7 mark. It doesn't do anything for your current turn, though (barring big engine edge cases...), so the opportunity card of buying this instead of the card you would gain with this is high. The gold could either be a boon or a drawback depending on the action density you're going for, usually it'd be good. Definitely strong but I doubt it's broken. It can never gain itself/KC/Possession, which is probably good.

King's Greed
Cost: $10
Put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile and set aside up to 3 Action cards from it. Play them in any order.

I don't think I like this. Besides than it being prohibitively expensive most of the time, it just seems like an effect I don't really want in Dominion. It might give some players some AP, but probably it just lets you put your whole deck in your hand most of the time without too much difficulty. And maybe you were already doing that if you hit $10? Not a big fan.

Mediator
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $3
Reveal 3 cards from your hand. The player to your left selects one of them. Discard it or put it on top of your deck.

When another player plays an Attack, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, +1 Card, +1 VP, and at the start of your next turn, discard this.

There is virtually no reason to buy this in a game without attacks, unless I am missing something.

Edit: LastFootnote pm'd me saying that this card is supposed to give +$3, which changes everything. This makes it quite strong, and pretty similar to Horse Traders. Obviously it's a much better card with the +$3.

Prospector
+1 Buy. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards into your hand. Discard the rest. Each other player may discard a Treasure. If he does, he draws a card.

Seems quite strong in BM, but it might not be significantly worse than Smithy. You do want a low density. I think the penalty on it is cool, but I don't really think we need a card that's awesome in BM and BM only.

Jeweller
+2 VP. Gain a Gold.

Okaaaaay. I guess this sort of pushes the game towards an end with the gold gaining, but it could lead to games that simply want to play this as much as possible and do nothing else. Not terribly exciting.

Hunter
Trash any number of cards from your hand. For each card you trash, +1 Card and +$1.

I feel like this has some of the same problems as forge, in that by the time you can get your hands on it, you will have wanted to do most of your trashing already. It could be good for dealing with oncoming curses I suppose but with the somewhat minor bonus I think this would just die quickly.

Forum
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

While this is in play, when you play a Silver, you may trash that Silver. If you do, +1 VP.

This doesn't feel all that much better than Watchtower to me... At $5 you could at least gain a silver (putting it atop your deck?) when you buy this.

Statue
Discard up to 3 cards from your hand. +1 VP per card discarded.

This seems worse than Count. With Count you can discard just 2 cards and gain a duchy. 3 vp tokens is a lot better than a duchy but Count has a zillion options. This shouldn't cost $7. Also leads to games that want to play this over and over and never gain anything.

Aqueduct (A)
+2 Buys. +$2. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards into your hand and discard the rest.

This is kinda like a bigger version of Prospector and I'm not a huge fan of this one either. It's a bit better in engines (maybe stables engines) but it still feels like a BM card primarily, and $7 isn't a good price point for BM.

Deed
Types: Treasure – Reaction
Worth $2

When you gain a Victory card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, +2 VP.

Hey, now this is kinda cool. Looking at it from another perspective, it lets you overpay for any VP card by $2 one time to gain two VP tokens (as long as you keep this in your hand). I like this one, and it seems like a good fit with the other $5 silvers.

Philanthropist
+3 VP. Each other player gains a card costing up to $5.

This is one of the more interesting VP gainers thus far and does more to push the game towards an actual conclusion. Probably could be an attack but I suppose it doesn't have to be. Very interactive card, seems nice.

That's all I have time for now, sorry if I bashed your card! I'll get to the rest later, but there are already some very cool cards in there! (Disclaimer - I did submit a card to this contest)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:25:05 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2013, 12:31:12 pm »
+1

Relic
Worth $2. When you play this, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand and play area. If you trashed at least one Action card, +$2 and +1 VP.

Trashing action cards is interesting, and the name fits, but I think +$3 money on trash might be better. What does everyone else think?

Artist
+$3. You may trash this. If you do, the first time you buy a Victory card this turn, +3 VP.

I think +1 Card, +1 Action would work better here; money doesn't seem to fit this as much.

Usurer
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Discard the rest. Trash the Treausre; gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it, putting it on top of your deck. Each other player may gain a Copper, putting it into his hand.

Woah! This is a little complicated. Perhaps getting rid of the last sentence would help. It's really only a small nerf, and takes up a lot of room.

Treasure Chest
Worth $1. When you play this, discard the top card of your deck. If it is a Treasure, gain a Silver

Kind of boring, but seems perfectly balanced.

Strong Room
+4 Cards. +1 Action. You may return up to 4 VP tokens. Discard 4 cards, minus 1 card per VP token returned.

In games using this, at the beginning of each turn of the player who went first, each player gets +1 VP.

As Donald X would say, using VP tokens for benefit is an obvious idea, but I think it's a good one. I only think the player should discard 3 cards instead of 4, so you don't need to kill 2 VP per Laboratory.

Metropolis
+1 Card. +2 Actions. Treasure cards other than Copper produce an extra $1 this turn.

A little overpriced. $6 would work perfectly fine, I think.

Stock Exchange
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may buy any number of VP tokens for $1 per token.

This slows the game way down, almost to unending, but not quite. Consider that by the end of the game, the most profitable thing to do will be to buy an estate, and when they run out, a duchy, and trade all the rest of the money for VP, making a horribly long game. Sorry, but I don't like it.

Chalice
Worth $3.

While this is in play, when you buy a Treasure card gain 2 Coppers, when you buy a Victory card gain a Curse.

Compared with death cart, this seems okay. On a board with a power 5, this must be taken, though. If this wins, I'd add a clause about Action Cards, or else this would simply work as a cheap Contraband-like thing.

Surveyor
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. You may reveal a Province or Colony from your hand. If you do, +1 VP. You may return 3 VP to the supply. If you do, gain a Province.

I like it. More VP for benefit, which really belongs in a prosperity set.

Gilded Statue
Worth $2. When you play this, you may discard a Treasure. If you do, gain a Gold.

It seems balanced, but I think the on-buy mechanism should go. It's already powerful enough as a gold-flooder.

Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, each other player gains a card costing at most $2 less than it.

Great. Can't think of anything to add to it.

Wedding
+1 Action. Reveal cards from the top you your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card. If you do reveal a card of each of these types, put an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card from among the revealed cards into you hand. Discard the other revealed cards.

There's another card here with the exact same mechanic as this, and I think this is better.

Palace
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, during the Buy phase, Colonies cost $2 less, but not less than $0. While this is in play, when you buy a Platinum, +2 VP.

This doesn't cost $6 or more, but it fits very well. This is one of my favorite here.

Crown (A)

Way too swingy. Whoever gets this will dominate the game, simply by getting more crowns with it. If this card wins, there are better ones out there, the text must be changed to gain 2 treasure cards costing $3-$6.

Cathedral

This'll be fine if it only gains one action card.

King's Greed
Put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile and set aside up to 3 Action cards from it. Play them in any order.

$10 things are horrible to figure out balance, and this is no exception. Still, it could work at $7 with a nerf.

Mediator
+$3. Reveal 3 cards from your hand. The player to your left selects one of them. Discard it or put it on top of your deck.

When another player plays an Attack, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, +1 Card, +1 VP, and at the start of your next turn, discard this.

A $3 terminal gold? Too much.

Prospector
+1 Buy. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards into your hand. Discard the rest. Each other player may discard a Treasure. If he does, he draws a card.

On first glance, I thought this was overpowered, but now it seems balanced to me. Kind of like Treasure version of Council Room, but not quite.

Jeweller
+2 VP. Gain a Gold.

Not interesting enough, sorry.

Hunter
Trash any number of cards from your hand. For each card you trash, +1 Card and +$1.

Great, but needs +1 action, or else it's underpowered.

Forum

While this is in play, when you play a Silver, you may trash that Silver. If you do, +1 VP.

Okay, this is my favorite card up because it's thematic, balanced, and interesting. Fixed draw is nice, and silver-gaining is overdone, and this is the exact opposite. It's great.

Statue

No mechanism to stop the endless VP strategy, especially since it discourages you from buying things.

Aqueduct (A)
+2 Buys. +$2. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards into your hand and discard the rest.

There's another very similar card, and this one isn't as good, though still good when not compared.

Deed
Worth $2

When you gain a Victory card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, +2 VP.

Beats the endless VP, but isn't that cool. Still, I'll vote for this.

Philanthropist

Simple and interesting. Has my support.

Clearing House
+2 Cards. +1 Action. You may trash any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +1 Card per card trashed in this way.

Similar to lots of other cards, but this would be fine.

Workhouse
+$4.

Boring.

Gemstone
Worth $1. Rarity cards cost $6 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or more to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Rarity cards and cost $5 more.

ANother great card: I enjoy these extra supply things like Young Witch.

Ascetic
Cost: $2
Trash this and any number of Treasures from your hand. +1 VP for each Treasure trashed this way.

Seems anti-prosperity, but that's my only complaint. Balanced and adds a cool touch to TfB.

Dividends
Worth $1. When you play this, gain a Treasure card costing less than this, putting it into your hand.

Not worth buying on boards without alternate treasure. Can't think of a way to fix this, honestly.

Villa
+1 Action. Play up to 2 Treasures from your hand. Draw until you have 4 cards in hand.

This brings in all those Black Market problems, but it's interesting enough to get my vote.

Golden Touch
Trash the top card of your deck. Gain a Gold, putting it on top of your deck.

Donald X has posted a lot before about how trashing the top card of a deck is way too swingy. I even can't think of any way to fix this.

Aqueduct (B)
+1 Action. +$2. Discard a card. If you do, +1 Card.

While this is in play, Attack cards you play have no effect on other players.

Comparing to Festival, it's much worse. Maybe +$2 if you discard, instead, so it can have its own style of play.

Inheritance
+1 Buy.

While this is in play, Treasure cards costs $3 less, but not less than $0.

Cool. Another silver-getting card, but does it in a nice unique way.

Crown (B)
Worth $4.

When you gain this, each other player gets +2 VP.

Now this is quite a bit better that the other $7 +$4 card, but it's still not that interesting.

Standard Bearer
Trash this card. Put your deck (not including your discard pile) into your hand.

Swingy and overpowered. This is the only card here that would be worth pricing at more than $7 if it wins.

Griffin
When you play this, reveal your hand. This is worth $1 per Victory card revealed.

Once per turn, while this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, +1 Buy and +$1.

Once per turn should be changed to something else. It just seems a little off.

Fountain
Worth $0. When you play this, if you have no other Treasures in play, +2 VP. You may trash this immediately. If you do, +$2.

Great for keeping VP in check, but the trashing option should boost it to gold.

Savant
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Each other player draws a card, then reveals and discards one or more cards. He gets +1 VP per Action or Treasure card he discards.

Has my vote.

Patent
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a card that is not a Victory card, you may gain a copy of it, putting it on top of your deck. If you do, trash this.

Don't really have anything to say about this.

Queen's Palace
+1 Action.
You may return a VP token. If you do, +3 Cards, +1 Buy, and each other player gets +1 VP.

Setup: Each player gets +2 VP.

Goes with itself quite well, and makes for interesting decisions, and I think this card works better than the one with similar mechanics above.

Mafia
Types: Action – Attack
Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure that you choose, and discards the rest. You may gain any or all of the trashed cards. +1 VP per card you gain this way.

This might be my favorite card, but any or all sounds like if Silver, SIlver, and copper are revealed, you'd have to take either a silver or have to take the copper. Still very nice.

Witch's Trove
Worth $2. When you play this, reveal you hand and discard all revealed Curses. +$3 for each Curse discarded. You may gain a Curse.

Curse for benefit cards are very risky, and this doesn't look like it's gone through the playtesting needed for such a card. Not sure how this would turn out.

Palladium
Worth $4. +1 Buy. When you play this, trash all Treasures you have in play. +1 VP for each card trashed.

Yet another great card that needs no changes.

Banknote
Worth $2. +1 Buy. If you have 4 or more differently named Treasures in play, +$2.

This belongs in Cornucopia.

Cost: $10*
Worth $4.

Unless in play, this costs $2 less per card costing $6 or more you have in play, but not less than $0.

This is horrible in a kingdom with no cards costing $6 or more other than gold.

Silk Merchant
+$2. You may trash two cards from your hand. If you do, +1 VP per token on the Trade Route mat.

Setup: Put a token on each Victory card Supply pile. When a card is gained from that pile, move the token to the Trade Route mat.

Clarification: The Trade Route mat and tokens referred to by Silk Merchant are the same as those referred to by Trade Route.  If both Trade Route and Silk Merchant are in the kingdom and/or Black Market deck, use only one token on each victory card pile.

Seems like a stretch.

Indulgence
Worth $2. +1 Buy. When you play this, the player to your left names a card in the Supply costing between $3 and $6. If you buy that card this turn, +2VP.

My favorite card.

Smelter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card, and a Victory card. Trash an Action card, a Treasure card, and a Victory card from the revealed cards. If you do, gain 3 Golds.

The better one with this mechanic.

Rosary
Types: Treasure – Attack
Worth $2. When you play this, each other player may trash a Treasure or Action card from his hand. If he does not, he gains 2 Coppers, putting one into his hand.

A little boring.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »
+1

Relic
Worth $2. When you play this, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand and play area. If you trashed at least one Action card,  +$2 and +1 VP.

This has some interesting/funky combos with Dark Ages cards (especially ruins), and that seems probably fine. I have always wanted something besides Mint that lets you trash from play, and I think this is good.

(and besides Procession)

Strong Room

This is really different and would totally change the landscape of any game with it due to the gaining of VP. The card itself might be decent, probably the best use would be to pick one or maaaybe 2 cards from the 4, but returning VP tokens really hurts (especially if your opponent isn't). You're almost cursing yourself.

I find the "in games using this" clause a little contrived for my taste. Would it be less contrived if it were "+4 cards, +1 action; choose a number between 0 and 4, discard that many cards, each other player gets 4 minus that many VP tokens"? I guess that's kind of contrived also, but doesn't require you to remember to hand out tokens each round of play.

The 7 cost cards are "big" versions of some of the basic functions of the game: Forge is big trashing, Bank is big money, King's Court is big actions (and big anything else, depending on the other action), Expand is big trash-for-benefit.

Hey, this is a really good way of looking at it.

Stock Exchange
Worth $2.

A bit hard to analyze, but this would make for really a different sort of engine, which is good, but that archetype may be too strong. Not being limited by buys is a huge factor. I'll probably vote for it but it might need a little nerf.

It seems really strong to me at first glance? I mean, to start out with it's "when you would buy a Colony, you can buy an Estate instead and get the same number of points" (and then trash your estate later and keep the engine going without hurting your score much)—and then it goes up from there with flexibility. I think it needs a nerf of some kind.

(Also, it's a shame this contest isn't doing expansion crossovers, because what this really sounds like is a Prosperity/Guilds crossover card: 'when you buy a Victory card, you may overpay for it. If you do...'.)

Chalice
Worth $3.

This feels a lot like Cache. But I think that it would be way too good in games with cursers after the curses run out. Just a no-brainer.

I was thinking it seems like a weaker Quarry.

Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

Even for $7, this seems awfully strong. Or degenerate. I don't know, maybe it ought to be a Treasure/Attack.

It could be "may gain".

Palace
+1 Buy. +$1.

Should probably be +$1 then +1 Buy, but that's semantics.

Actually, it's syntax.  :P

Cathedral

Huge gaining at the $7 mark.

Fits into your taxonomy of $7 cards as suped-up versions of basic Dominion tasks.

The name Cathedral belongs on a trasher, though. This should be Factory.

Deed
Worth $2

Hey, now this is kinda cool. Looking at it from another perspective, it lets you overpay for any VP card by $2 one time to gain two VP tokens (as long as you keep this in your hand).

In other words, it's a less powerful and less flexible Stock Exchange.

Philanthropist

This is one of the more interesting VP gainers thus far and does more to push the game towards an actual conclusion. Probably could be an attack but I suppose it doesn't have to be. Very interactive card, seems nice.

Clearly not an Attack, any more than Governor is. And note interactivity is one of the Prosperity themes!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2013, 01:10:46 pm »

Out of curiosity, how did you decide on the order for the cards?  Fully randomized?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »

Out of curiosity, how did you decide on the order for the cards?  Fully randomized?

Yep, fully randomized. I just wrote a tiny Java program and used Collections.shuffle().

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2013, 01:21:39 pm »
+5

I decided that rather than typing out, I'd record my thoughts onto video.

Now before I go through processing it, does anyone really want to see my ~70 minutes of thoughts on these cards? That's insanely longer than I thought it'd take, and so I'm now hesitant to upload it for nobody to watch :P.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2013, 01:32:16 pm »
+4

OK, I am going to go through and try to say something positive and something negative about each submission.

Note 1:  This is just the first half.  This took longer than I thought.

Note 2:  A lot of cards give you VP tokens contingent on buying/gaining/possessing Victory cards.  I don't like that.  What I've always liked about VP tokens is that they are one way of enabling greenless decks.  If I'm still going to be buying green cards, I'd rather have new alt VP card.

Note 3:  As to be expected, a lot of these cards appear to just have vanilla bonuses tacked on or numbers inflated to have a high cost, presumably to fulfill the "spendy" theme.  I feel like that is misguided.  Prosperity is a place to put interesting cards which just happen to be expensive.  If you have a cool idea, but the idea does not justify a $7 price tag, then save it for a different set.  Piling on the vanilla probably won't do the trick.

Relic
Worth $2. When you play this, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand and play area. If you trashed at least one Action card, +$2 and +1 VP.
Good:  I like that it incentivizes trashing a good card (e.g. an Action).
Bad:  Seems really strong to me.  I'd probably buy this even if I could only trash a single card, with no potential bonus for trashing an Action.  I'm afraid that trashing from the play area would be confusing, but Procession and Counterfeit already do it.

Artist

Good:  I like the option is get a larger bonus by trashing.
Bad:  I already want to buy Victory cards, usually.  I'd prefer that VP tokens give me an alternative to greening, not further incentivize it.

Usurer
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Discard the rest. Trash the Treausre; gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it, putting it on top of your deck. Each other player may gain a Copper, putting it into his hand.
Good:  Nice fit for Platinum games, where you can really breathe life into your early Silvers.  I wondered about the need for the +1 Card, but I suppose it causes you to scoop up your upgraded Treasures as you play multiple Usurers.
Bad:  Maybe too fast?  I wonder how a Usurer rush would compare with Rebuild.  I guess Rebuild depletes the Duchy pile, which is a huge strategical difference.

Treasure Chest
Good:  Seems like a cool Silver gainer.  The more Silver you have, the more likely Treasure Chest is to give you more.
Bad:  Silver isn't so great in Colony games, making this a bit awkward in Prosperity.  "Gain a Treasure costing less $6" would help it fit in by giving it more synergy with Prosperity's alt Treasures.  If you are worried about cost reduction giving you Gold, you could even say "costing less than Gold."

Strong Room

Good:  It's already sort of nice just as a bigger Warehouse.
Bad:  I don't like the focus on the first player, since it makes the first player's decision to play Outpost or the last player's decision to play Possession have an outsized impact on the game.  I think just getting a token at the start of your turn might be better.  It intensifies first player advantage a little, but the card on the whole appears to make single point differences less significant.

Metropolis
Good:  At first I thought that this would be too similar to Bank, but now I see it as a way for an engine to squeeze the most value out of a small number of Treasures.  Especially nice with Loan, Quarry, or Potion.
Bad:  Village + Cash feels a little boring for $7.  I wonder about whether it is balanced.

Stock Exchange
Worth $2.

Good:
Bad:  Pretty much removes any distinction between buying Estate, Duchy, or Province when you have $8 in hand.  I mentioned this before, but I want VP tokens to provide an alternative to greening.

Chalice
Worth $3.

Good:  I like that this encourages an engine.
Bad:  Feels a little bit similar to Quarry, except that Quarry rewards me for buying Actions rather than punishing for buying something else.  Rewards are usually more fun.  Also, it feels a bit like Contraband, in that it makes buying Gold and Province more difficult.  Curses are often empty by the time you start greening.

Surveyor
Good:  Seems to support a new sort of deck where after your first Province you continue to profit off of them, earning more to fuel further expansion without ever needing to hit $8 a second time.
Bad:  I wouldn't bother mentioning Colony.  Most games don't have them, and the 1 VP is less significant in Colony games anyhow. This card is about snowballing your Provinces.

Gilded Statue

Good:  I like the Gold gaining mechanism.
Bad:  I don't like the when-gain clause.  Sometimes that card will be Smithy or Envoy and this card will be nuts.  Othertimes it will just be some junky action or nothing at all.  I don't think this card needs it either; maybe just price this at $6?

Railway Town
+1 Card. +2 Actions. +$1. If you have played railway town at least twice this turn, +1 Buy. If you have played it at least three times this turn, +1 VP. If you have played it at least four times this turn, +$1. If you have played it at least five times this turn, +1 Card.
Good:
Bad:  Too much going on.  In a four player game, when are you ever going to get a fifth play in?  Even in a two player game, just pummeling this pile is going to determine too many games.  If I win the split 6-4, then I gain 4 VP each round while you gain just 2 VP.

Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

Good:  I like this card.  I like that the price point gives your opponents the option of a $5 when you buy another Charity.
Bad:  I don't think it needs the buy.  I think that gain should be optional rather than forced.  It is supposed to be a penalty, right?  Well currently you use it to buy engine pieces while junking your opponents.  The +buy only exacerbates that.

Wedding
Good:  I like the idea of getting one of each.
Bad:  Seems too expensive.  I'd rather it be nonterminal, since the action is so time consuming.  Also, it is confusing with dual type cards.  What happens if the first two cards I reveal are Harem and Nobles?  I would stop there and put both in my hands?  What if I revealed Gold, then Harem, then Nobles?  I suppose first I would have to put Nobles in my hand.  Then I could choose either Harem or Gold.  If I chose Harem, then I would discard Gold.  I if I chose Gold, then I would keep Harem too?  I guess it isn't so bad if you just run through the phrasing literally.

Palace
+1 Buy. +$1.

Good:
Bad:  I don't want to always have Colony and Platinum.  Also, when Colony and Platinum are present, I already want them.  This card just incentivizes them even more explicitly, at the detriment of competing strategies.

Crown (A)

Good:  Certainly encourages a heavily Treasure filled deck.  Those might be some fun games.
Bad:  That first one would be pricey, but that Crown could be used to gain more Crowns and then quickly deplete the Platinum pile.  Or Harem, Gold, Philosopher's Stone, etc.  OK, maybe this is not so bad after all.

Cathedral
Good:
Bad:  This just seems way too strong.

King's Greed
Good:
Bad:  Seems way too strong.  Giving it a huge price tag doesn't help that.  It needs to be way cheaper while having some sort of penalty to keep it in check.

Mediator
+$3.  Reveal 3 cards from your hand. The player to your left selects one of them. Discard it or put it on top of your deck.

Good:  The reaction is interesting.
Bad:  The terminal gold on a $3 card seems too strong.  Also, there are lots of choices being made here.  Choose three cards to reveal, then the opponent selects one, then you have to decide to topdeck or discard.  I say just force the last step to be "discard", and then the first two decisions will be easier too.  Or am I missing something?

Prospector
Good:  I love how thematic the name is!  Also, I like a nice big money card from time to time :)
Bad:  Probably too strong for big money?  Perhaps give your opponent an opportunity to discard a non-Treasure rather than Treasure.  That would be the bigger boon to your opponent on a Prospector board, I'd say.

Jeweller
+2 VP. Gain a Gold.
Good:  Nice and simple.  The Gold gaining keeps you from just pounding the Jewellers every turn for points, and and encourages you to start buying Provinces.
Bad:  Maybe a tad boring? 

Hunter
Good:  You won't be able to afford to open with this trasher, so the bonuses help to make it worthwhile.
Bad:  Too expensive to open with, which really hurts a trasher.

Forum

Good:  Those early Silvers sometimes hurt later on in a Colony game or just an engine game.  This might help.
Bad:  The +1 VP won't help so much in a Colony game.  The on-play effect is very weak.  Watchtower already does that at $3, and has an awesome and flexible reaction at the same time.  I don't usually have all that much Silver that I want to trash.

Statue
Good:
Bad:  This encourages just drawing your deck and then discarding it all without buying anything or advancing the game state.  So broken with Scrying Pool!

Aqueduct (A)
Good:
Bad:  This is really similar to Prospector (above), but more powerful and more expensive.  I like Prospector a lot more.  I feel like this one was just buffed up to get the cost higher, since Prosperity has a "spendy" theme.

Deed
Worth $2

Good:
Bad:  What's with all these cards that give you more points when you green?

Philanthropist
Good:  This one is pretty interesting.  Not really sure how it would play out.  It would be weak early on when you'd rather be building your engine.  Later on your opponents could at least take a Duchy to keep up in points.
Bad:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:05:21 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2013, 02:19:29 pm »

Strong Room

This seems like a lot of text for a simple effect, although I'm not sure that it can be done better.  The bigger issue is that I'm not sure it's worthwhile to pay 1 VP for a card very often.  The case in which you would be most likely to do it would be the last card you might discard, which is the fourth worst card out of a hand of eight, so a pretty "average" card.

In general I guess I'm not really a fan of the whole "victory tokens do other things" idea.
Metropolis
I quite like this one, but it seems like it's overpriced.
Chalice
Worth $3.

I really like this, except that it seems pretty similar to Quarry.
Crown (A)

This seems too strong, unless I'm not understanding something?  I guess the idea is that you spend $8 and a buy and hurt your deck a little, to get lots of Platina later, and the trade-off is supposed to be that you could have gotten Platinum sooner and then kept building up quickly because Platinum also helps you get to Platinum fast.  Still, a non-terminal double Platinum gainer that's also worth two victory points seems like too much.  Obviously it's much weaker in non-Colony games.
Mediator
+$3. Reveal 3 cards from your hand. The player to your left selects one of them. Discard it or put it on top of your deck.

The on-play effect is very interesting but I'd guess it's too strong for $3.  I don't like the reaction at all though, it seems very tacked on, and without it the card isn't very Prosperityish.  Also I don't understand why you have to set it aside and then discard it?  Maybe I'm missing something...
Statue
This might be cool if it were cheaper and didn't let you discard victory cards.  Then there would be some really interesting endgame decisions that might come up (although it could potentially degenerate into a VP token war).  As it is, I'm guessing most of the decisions you would make with it will be trivial "discard the green cards and any Copper I don't need", and it just becomes a somewhat random +2/+3 VP.
Philanthropist
I like this a lot, but it might be too weak.  You can't guarantee that you're getting a victory point lead by playing it (unless the Duchies are out), and you certainly can't guarantee that your deck is getting better relative to your opponents'.  So early game, you're probably helping out your opponents more than yourself, and then late game, you're probably just slightly hurting your opponents by giving them a green card.  I don't know, maybe it's okay.  I really like the concept though.
Ascetic
Trash this and any number of Treasures from your hand. +1 VP for each Treasure trashed this way.
Seems really swingy...
Golden Touch
This is really really swingy.  I guess it's supposed to make sense thematically, but I don't like it.  The problem is not that it would be frustrating to hit a Province.  The problem is that your opponent may keep playing it when his deck is full of green cards (presumably not a good play), and consistently miss the green cards and pull out a win with the extra trashing and Gold.  It's like when your opponent goes for Treasure Map with no support and connects them turn 5, even though it was a bad play probabilistically; except Golden Touch seems much, much more prone to that.
Standard Bearer
Trash this card. Put your deck (not including your discard pile) into your hand.
Another swingy card!  If I keep drawing it near the bottom of my deck, I'm just out of luck.  Also, it's terminal, so even if I get it near the top of my shuffle, I have to connect it with a Village to play any more action cards in the turn.  So maybe you say "you have to use it in the right kind of deck that can time it well".  The problem with that is that the kind of deck that can carefully time when this gets played is the kind of deck that doesn't need to play it, because that kind of deck can probably draw most/all of itself anyway.

Ultimately I think it comes down to $7 being to expensive for a one-shot.  It's just too difficult to make something that you would be willing to pay $7 and a buy for, and is not absurdly powerful.
Savant
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Each other player draws a card, then reveals and discards one or more cards. He gets +1 VP per Action or Treasure card he discards.
This seems too generous to the opponents.  Even without the VP tokens, it's not much worse than Governor's draw option, and it's more expensive and less flexible than Governor (granted Governor is certainly a power $5).
Queen's Palace
+1 Action.
You may return a VP token. If you do, +3 Cards, +1 Buy, and each other player gets +1 VP.

Doesn't seem worth it.  Effectively 2 VP for 3 cards and a buy.  Maybe you would be willing to do that sometimes, but pay $6 for a card that's dead whenever you don't want to do that?  Especially bad if other players aren't getting them, because then you can only use it twice over the course of the game (assuming no other VP token cards).
Mafia
Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure that you choose, and discards the rest. You may gain any or all of the trashed cards. +1 VP per card you gain this way.
A slightly better Thief that rewards you with victory points.  Maybe decent at $5, but I doubt it's worth $7.  Thief is a pretty bad $4.  Probably better in multi-player but it seems too weak in 2-player to justify it.  Not sure though.

Also (I'm guessing this was intentional), the card follows KC and Expand's pattern of costing $7 to change a 2 to a 3 on a $4 card (although this also adds an extra thing, presumably because Thief is so weak/the extra card doesn't make enough of a difference).  I was wondering if someone might do a $7 card like that.
Indulgence
Worth $2. +1 Buy. When you play this, the player to your left names a card in the Supply costing between $3 and $6. If you buy that card this turn, +2VP.
I like this a lot.  It encourages you to get cards in your deck that you otherwise don't really want.  It's really hard to judge the power level of it.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2013, 02:25:42 pm »

Now before I go through processing it, does anyone really want to see my ~70 minutes of thoughts on these cards? That's insanely longer than I thought it'd take, and so I'm now hesitant to upload it for nobody to watch :P.
I would at least like to hear your thoughts on my card, and I'm guessing most other people are the same (that is, they want to hear thoughts on their own card, not on my card).  Maybe not many people would listen to the whole thing, but people would probably at least skip around to listen to some of the more interesting cards.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2013, 02:38:49 pm »

Prosperity is a place to put interesting cards which just happen to be expensive.  If you have a cool idea, but the idea does not justify a $7 price tag, then save it for a different set.  Piling on the vanilla probably won't do the trick.

Interestingly, this seems like just the opposite of Dsell's opinion about $7 cards.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2013, 02:40:10 pm »
+1

I won't go throuh all the cards, but here are some impressions:

Relic

Probably a simpler bonus for trashing an action card wouldn't hurt it.

Usurer

So, this is basically a cantrip Mine with a benefit for other players. Simpler than the wording suggests, and thematic. A bit overpriced, i think, but i was always bad at that. Like it.

Strong Room

I suggest changing this to: +4 cards, +1 action. Do this 4 times: Discard a card; or each other player gets +1VP.

Metropolis

A treasure Village. Why not.

Stock Exchange
Worth $2.

I think this belongs in a Guilds/Prosperity contest where you overpay for VP tokens. As a card, this will make Estate the only Victory card worth buying. Not so good.

Chalice
Worth $3.

Too similar to Quarry, sorry.

Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

"May" gain a card, please. Otherwise it's often a Copper flooder.

Wedding

Reminds me of Golem. I'll try to find out what i think about this until Wednesday. I certainly don't know now.

King's Greed

This seems like it was born from a pun... Certainly a nightmare to balance.

Prospector

Treasure Scout. I kind of like it, especially because it's so simple (and outstanding, as it is one of what feels like 2% action cards here).

Hunter

Interesting, but i would try it at 5$ and limit the number of cards and/or lower the bonus. A trasher is always better the earlier you get it, and having this cost over 5$ harms the card. I know this is Prosperity, but if a card is better at 5$, it's better at 5$.

Forum

While the top card might be tacked on, the lower part has something really interesting. Like it.

Deed
Worth $2

Probably the best of the "victory gain for VP" cards. Not really my favourite here, still. I was trying to do that kind of "on gain VP" myself and maybe too much to enjoy that idea anymore...

Philanthropist

Gee, this is simple enough and so very easy. Close to what i was trying to do with Hospital. as a terminal, the gain won't become annoying, either. And even if there's no other 5$ in the kingdom, gaining a Duchy for equal points is always possible. Nice. A bit simple maybe.

Ascetic

Original. I don't know how it would play out and how much it adds to the game, though...

Dividends
Worth $1. When you play this, gain a Treasure card costing less than this, putting it into your hand.

I disagree with XerxesPraelor. I think this will often be at least as good as Gold. Interesting.

Aqueduct (B)

Again, i disagree with XerxesPraelor. Whenever you can discard junk, this is a buy-less grand Market for 5$ without a buy restriction - so in no way worse than Festival. With the attack clause ignored, it's almost always better than Mystic, for example.

Inheritance
+1 Buy.

Anti-Quarry? Yeah, why the hell not. I just don't know if it's interesting enough to stand against the competition.

Crown (B)
Worth $4.

Another simple one that probably works fine. I don't feel it's really needed, though.

Griffin
When you play this, reveal your hand. This is worth $1 per Victory card revealed.

Once per turn, while this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, +1 Buy and +$1.

I think i recognize this. I still think it's a bit weak. For 4$, maybe?

Fountain
Worth $0. When you play this, if you have no other Treasures in play, +2 VP. You may trash this immediately. If you do, +$2.

A treasure that gives VP instead of money is very "prosperous". Edit: I feel it's not limited enough, though.

Savant

Too much going on here for me. Then again, Bishop has horribly many instructions, too... I'm not a fan, honestly.

Patent
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a card that is not a Victory card, you may gain a copy of it, putting it on top of your deck. If you do, trash this.

So this starts out as a Silver, but if i buy a Gold for it, i can exchange this for another one... Hmm... More clever than i first thought.

Mafia

Uber-Thief. I really had to laugh reading this. And i have to make up my mind whether i want to vote for this because it's a fun read or because it's a good card to represent Prosperity.

Palladium
Worth $4. +1 Buy. When you play this, trash all Treasures you have in play. +1 VP for each card trashed.

Sooo... This always trashes itself, doesn't it? I have no clue if that's intended or not, but i feel when you are able to buy this, your Treasures are worth too much allready to throw them away like that. Or do you want to keep your Golds in hand to only trash Coppers? A distinct lack of self-synergy, if i'm not mistaken.

Banknote
Worth $2. +1 Buy. If you have 4 or more differently named Treasures in play, +$2.

Probably a good bet for any Cornucopia/Prosperity contest. Edit: Not balanced. You can just play them over and over.

Silk Merchant
+$2. You may trash two cards from your hand. If you do, +1 VP per token on the Trade Route mat.

Setup: Put a token on each Victory card Supply pile. When a card is gained from that pile, move the token to the Trade Route mat.

Clarification: The Trade Route mat and tokens referred to by Silk Merchant are the same as those referred to by Trade Route.  If both Trade Route and Silk Merchant are in the kingdom and/or Black Market deck, use only one token on each victory card pile.

I really like the idea to use the Trade Route Mat for something different. Don't know if this is the best one to do it, though. Probably i would have liked a nonterminal, so if both cards appear on the same board, one could combine them for more profit :)

Indulgence

Also belongs in Cornucopia and, like Talisman, slightly anti-thematic for Prosperity. But still very nice.

Rosary
Worth $2. When you play this, each other player may trash a Treasure or Action card from his hand. If he does not, he gains 2 Coppers, putting one into his hand.

Argh, somebody did a Treasure-Attack! I thought that was my privilege!? On a more serious note, i tried cards like this for a long time, and i feel this has one of the issues i met - it takes forever to play, especially forever when comared to other treasures. Keep in mind you have to wait for the players to decide before you can play your second Rosary. Or your third.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:12:08 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2013, 03:14:17 pm »
+1

Go for it, Desks.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2013, 03:33:04 pm »

Reviewing every other card. This both makes this more manageable and skips the card I submitted. (Oh no, you know one of 20 cards is mine instead of one of 40. I think that's fine.)

Artist

Nice in engines, not bad in a money based deck either. Although actually, it feels too weak in money based and too strong in engine based. In money based you aren't necessarily going to want that Victory card, although I guess you treat it like Hoard and buy more Duchies. Eh, should be okay, although the trash clause VP spike bothers me a bit.

Treasure Chest
Chance to gain Silver isn't worth a Copper for $4. It's an Ironworks gaining Silver on a treasure, and Ironworks gaining Silver is one of the weaker use cases.

Metropolis
Not sure why people are saying this is a good BM card? This feels more like an engine card to me. Coppersmith is best in engines as a big payout; this is similar, but it's chainable and works better when you have a few strong treasures. Cost is okay, $6 or lower and I'd think you want it over Gold too much, as +1 Card +1 Action +$2 is definitely a $6 card > Gold, and this performs similarly.

Chalice
Worth $3.

Penalties aren't that fun, and it's a bit too close to Quarry, and it's too strong in a slog deck for my liking.

Gilded Statue

Seems balanced, but it feels like a bunch of effects slapped together instead of a cohesive card.

Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

As others have said the gain really should be optional, otherwise you pick up a ton of $3 and $4 components and snowball the hell out of your engine. Even if the gain were optional, it's still a little iffy to me, because endgame VP-buying is suddenly so awful. If they gain the next lowest VP card, which they can (almost) always do, Colony = 4VP, Prov = 3VP...I really want this card to work, but I'm not sure it's doable. Maybe if you make the gain exactly less than $2, but then it might be too strong in endgame.

Palace
+1 Buy. +$1.

Adding Colony + Plat is a little clunky, but okay. Too restrictive for me, -$2 for Colony on each play is ridiculously good if you can manage it.

Cathedral
I just think about Expand and it seems a bit too good, although Expand is somewhat weak anyways.

Mediator

If this costed $4 I'd like it more, even though $3 and $4 are so similar. Isn't that weird? I'm thinking of it as a Mandarin that's better late game and early game and worse midgame, but opening this is too strong. Or rather, compare this to Courtyard, and see how good Courtyard-BM is. You spike to Gold because early on it's essentially a +$2. Then you use it to smooth out your money curve.

Jeweller
+2 VP. Gain a Gold.
Kinda boring, but it's probably balanced.

Forum

I can't justify trashing that Silver until late game, and then it's just free VP every now and then. Not a big fan.

Aqueduct (A)
Definitely too strong. Big Money decks may be weaker now, but a likely +$5 or +$6 with potential for more, with +Buy, is too much.

Philanthropist
+3 VP is massive, and the gaining doesn't feel like enough to offset it. I'd just gain the Duchy every time, I don't see how I could keep up otherwise.

Workhouse
+$4.
Oh. Snap. Look I don't care I'm voting for this because it's so amusing.

Ascetic
So it's a one shot Chapel, essentially. Except it's more swingy because you can't trash Estates.

Villa
+1 Action. Play up to 2 Treasures from your hand. Draw until you have 4 cards in hand.
Hm. So in theory, the first is a +1 Card +1 Action, and the second is +3 Cards +1 Action. But if you buy too many, they all collide and you get the Stables problem. Interesting.

Aqueduct (B)

That penalty feels too clunky, but the card's okay. I think it's okay without the penalty, but then it's not a good Prosperity card.

Crown (B)
Worth $4.

2 VP is too much. Even 1 VP is an extra turn you have to catch up on to get the VP lead, it's why Monument is so good. Monument is really more like 4 VP over the course of the game, but you get the picture.

Griffin

SCOUT. Being able to empty the entire Estate pile with a Highway is awesome, but according to Donald X some people find that awful. Stick the +Buy to on play, and make it on buy +$1, and it's nice.

Fountain
Sadly enough, this looks awful, but I'm not sure if you could cost it any lower. It might be okay at $5, but that's pushing it a little bit. Overall, the effect isn't worth the effort needed to balance it.

Patent
Worth $2.

I see Patent topdeck chains into a lot of Golds. I think it's okay when compared to Haggler, a little swingy but not overly so.

Mafia
Should be okay in 2 player, sounds dangerous in 3 player and up.

Palladium
So, it's basically Forge? When you look at it that way, it's probably too good.

Worth $4.

Unless in play, this costs $2 less per card costing $6 or more you have in play, but not less than $0.
Doesn't need the unless in play clause, and it'd be less confusing if it had Peddler's clause. But then you can't Workshop it, I suppose. Oh, except thematically if you have Reputation, getting more is easier. Well, okay then, I take it back.

Indulgence
Interesting enough that I'm not too fussed about the balance.

Rosary
You know, it says Attack, but Copper in hand is pretty good. Letting your opponent smooth out their money curve makes this a bit too weak, but it's not bad.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2013, 03:45:12 pm »

Second half of my list.  I think I started to get more critical as I went through them.

Clearing House
+2 Cards. +1 Action. You may trash any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +1 Card per card trashed in this way.
Good:  Looks strong enough to be worth buying during the second or third shuffle.
Bad:

Workhouse
+$4.
Good: 
Bad:  Boring, and probably too weak.  I'd rather have Gold most of the time.

Gemstone
Worth $1. Rarity cards cost $6 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or more to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Rarity cards and cost $5 more.
Good:  I do like having an extra Kingdom card.
Bad:  Feels like too much of a hoop to jump through for most cards.  I mean, this is pretty much like adding a Potion to the card's cost in terms of barrier.  And unlike the Alchemy cards, many $5s weren't designed to be good in multiples.

Ascetic
Good:  Seems like a nice card to me.
Bad:  Clashes with the theme somewhat, but this is the only set LastFootnote is permitting VP tokens in.  Being a one-shot, I would probably give this "+2 Cards" too: it trashes Copper fast, but it leaves you with Estates, which is not necessarily exactly an overpowering position to be in.  While adding a "+2 Buys" seemed nice at first, man, Ascetics don't buy stuff.

Dividends
Good:  Basically like a Gold which gains Silver. Even better when Kingdom Treasures are around.  Also, could be very useful when Possession is on the board:  you can gain the Potion right when you want to buy Possession, and this is nothing more than a Copper while Possessed (well, your opponent gains a Treasure).
Bad:

Villa
Good:  I like it.  Some people hate playing Treasures in the Action phase, but I think that concern is overblown.  Prosperity is a nice place to put it.
Bad:  $5 seems a bit pricey.  I think you could easily price this at $4 if not $3.

Golden Touch
Good:
Bad:  No.  I don't want to blindly trash the top card of my deck.  Way too swingy.

Aqueduct (B)

Good:  It's like a bigger Oasis.  The extra coin is big, but it really hurts that you discard before drawing.  I like the idea of a card which incentivizes foregoing strong attacks.
Bad: I wish that the name fit better with the pacificism theme.  This card is also plays much different on boards with strong attacks.

Inheritance
+1 Buy.

Good: 
Bad:  How much Treasure do you want?  I think this effect would be better at $3 or $4.  My $5 purchases are usually aimed more towards the end game.  At $5, I would want some other benefit.  I mean, even Quarry contributes a measly $1 towards Provinces.

Crown (B)
Worth $4.

Good:
Bad:  So expensive!  Your opponents gaining freebie points is a major drawback already. Rather boring too.

Standard Bearer
Good:
Bad:  No.

Griffin

Good: SCOUT!  I like the on play.
Bad:  If I have four Griffins in play and buy an Estate, do I get +4 Buys and +$4?  I'm not a fan of the bottom line.  I mean, I already want victory cards since they give me points.  And Griffins already make them less sucky to have in the mean time.  Why am I getting some other wonky incentive to buy victory cards?

Charity (B)
Worth $1. When you play this, choose one: Each player gains a Copper; or each player gains a Silver. Either way, put the card you gained into your hand.
Good:  I want this to be a cheap Gold, but I don't want you getting a free Silver.  I want to stick you with Copper, but I don't want one in my deck.
Bad:  I feel like this is missing something.  Neither of the choices is really tantalizing me.  Maybe if I could trash a Treasure or something?

Fountain
Good:  I like that the "no other Treasures" clause prevents you from just playing a hand full of these every turn for 10 VP.  I like this card.
Bad:

Savant
Good:
Bad:  This is strictly worse than Governor, isn't it?  Oh, they have to discard at least one.  OK, but either they discard a dead card, so it was effectively like Governor, or they toss their least useful card and get a point.

Patent
Worth $2.

Good:  Seemed to strong until I saw the one-shot.  This would be really nice with Potion cost cards, as well as those powerful expensive cards that Prosperity is notorious for. 
Bad:  $5 just feels too expensive though, since on most boards the only non-Victory card costing more than $5 or having a Potion cost is Gold.  Maybe price this at $4, but make the gain/trash mandatory.

Queen's Palace
+1 Action.

Good:  Seems like a fun concept.
Bad:  The card definitely seems overpriced to me.  The 2 VP swing per play is a huge penalty, particularly since this is a card which you would normally want to play multiple copies of.  If you just ignore this card, then your opponents will be stuck with $6 Ruined Villages before long and you'll have an 8 VP advantage (in a four player game).

Mafia
Good:  This is pretty cool.
Bad:  Definitely feels like fan service on these forums.

Witch's Trove
Worth $2. When you play this, reveal you hand and discard all revealed Curses. +$3 for each Curse discarded. You may gain a Curse.
Good:  Hmm.  With two Curses, this is enough for a Province.  Why yes, Mr. Torturer, I would like a Curse.
Bad: 

Palladium
Good:  This is neat.  You probably don't want more than one, or else one will trash the other.
Bad:

Banknote
Good:  Looks fun to me.  Good synergy with kingdom treasures.
Bad:  This would be better at $5 I think.  It will be difficult to get four differently named Treasures into play without a strong engine.  So usually this is just a Silver+.  The $5 price point also makes it easier to acquire both this and Gold. 

Worth $4.

Good:  A bunch of you really want a treasure worth $4!  Well, this one seems nice.
Bad:  Perhaps too complicated to be worthwhile on what would otherwise be a rather bland card.  It is neat that you could get the price super cheap.  But do I want someone to be buying a superGold for dirt cheap?  Not really.  Peddler was fine, since it was a rather mild card to begin with.

Silk Merchant

Good:  I like this card.  Love the name too, given its relation to Silk Road. 
Bad:  I'm a little worried that if there are alt victory cards, then the Trade Route mat will swell so great that you are better off cannibalizing your deck rather than buying more Provinces.  It could lead a long slog of buying/trashing Coppers and Curses until the game three piles.

Indulgence
Good:  I like that it encourages you to buy cards that you otherwise might not.  Maybe I will buy that Scout after all, if it is worth nearly a Duchy.  The cost restriction prevents your opponent from naming Curse, Alchemist, or (when you obviously cannot afford it yet) Colony.
Bad:  The $6 cap seems to clash a bit with Prosperity.  On some boards your opponent will just keep pointing to Rats.  I guess you can ameliorate that by playing this in multiples, but I may have something better to spend my $5 on.

Smelter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card, and a Victory card. Trash an Action card, a Treasure card, and a Victory card from the revealed cards. If you do, gain 3 Golds.
Good:  Hey, this is neat. 
Bad:  Has the same issue with dual types as Wedding (above).

Rosary
Good:  This is pretty cool.
Bad:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:03:00 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2013, 04:17:18 pm »
+1

Worth $4.

Doesn't need the unless in play clause

It really does. If it lowered its own price by being in play, it'd be at best irritating and at worst logically impossible to figure out how many cards costing $6 or more you had in play, and thus how much price reduction there was.

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2013, 04:28:12 pm »

A few observations of where the wording of cards isn't what (imo) it should be:
Surveyor
I'm almost certain that Vp tokens aren't in the supply. Even without mentioning the supply I feel that "return" is an awkward word here (and in several other cases, making me think that I may be in the minority); possibly "expend" would be better.

Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

I really feel like this should be "may" for reasons that have already been discussed.

Mediator

Setting this aside then discarding it later is weird and seldom relevent. Possibly it's meant to grant +1 Card, +1 VP at the start of your next turn and the setting aside is to remind you of that.

Edit:

Relic
Should possibly be and/or.

Another edit:

Smelter
Needs to say what to do with the rest of the revealed cards (almost certainly discard them as otherwise you're granting potentially vast knowledge about deck order). Also, based on treasure map I think "if you do" means that you gain 3 Golds even if you only partially completed the action (say if you had no other actions in your deck) not sure if that's intentional or not.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:50:18 pm by Aidan Millow »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15  All

Page created in 1.766 seconds with 21 queries.