Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Goko: End of Summer Sale  (Read 12864 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Goko: End of Summer Sale
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:21:56 pm »

I just received an email from Goko titled "End of Summer Sale".

Why didn't they ever tell me about the beginning?

Turns out it is in fact an End-of-Summer Sale. Anyone else got confused?

Here's what is about, if anyone is interested:
Goko friends!  We're celebrating a great Summer and the beginning of an even better Fall. We're giving an extra Dominion Expansion (for free!) to anyone that orders $20 or more of Dominion Expansions in the next 48 hours. If buying $20 of expansions means you've got them all, then we'll give you Promo Cards, Adventure Finales, or Zaps instead! 
Seems pretty pointless anyway.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:25:11 pm by Watno »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Goko: End of Summer Sale
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:34:29 pm »

Now someone figure out the cheapest method for me to get all the expansions in the next 48 hours :P

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:41:50 pm »
+1

So, if someone buys all the expansions, how many promos will be credited to your account? I really don't care since I have all 5 promos, but I would rather other players not go through the grind that I did to get them.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 11:11:55 pm »

Yeah does this mean I can get something like DA for free and it will be cheaper than $45? Would love to know.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:27:26 pm »

I thought the same thing, Watno.
I am thinking, perhaps, that "expansion" here means "discrete set of cards you can buy from Goko" and not "all the cards that were released at the same time". So, DA would be 3 "expansions"?
The email also made me wish (sort of) that I had only bought 1/2 of the cards previously so I could be awarded the promos, rather than have to adventure them.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:05:48 am »

I would pay $20 for the last promo card by itself. I have to play games with bots to grind for Dominion coins so i can buy zaps for the adventures and I'm ready to tear my hair out. Anyone think there is a way to do this? At least something better than what I'm doing now?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 09:26:01 am »

I have to play games with bots to grind for Dominion coins so i can buy zaps for the adventures
You don't have to play with bots to get Dominion coins. You get them for playing human opponents as well (and 15 instead of 10 for winning the game). This (at 50% win rate) is 8,5 coins per game, similar to around 80% win rate against bots.

If you really want to get coins ASAP, I think you should find a kingdom with a very fast engine bots will not see so you can win reliably and play 6-player games, winning against many bots is rewarded with more coins.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 09:31:16 am »
+6

I wish there was a way to trade coins. I have 18000 of them.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:17:45 pm »
+2

I have to play games with bots to grind for Dominion coins so i can buy zaps for the adventures
You don't have to play with bots to get Dominion coins. You get them for playing human opponents as well (and 15 instead of 10 for winning the game). This (at 50% win rate) is 8,5 coins per game, similar to around 80% win rate against bots.

If you really want to get coins ASAP, I think you should find a kingdom with a very fast engine bots will not see so you can win reliably and play 6-player games, winning against many bots is rewarded with more coins.

Hermit/Market Square  ;D
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 02:58:21 pm »
+6

Hermit/Market Square  ;D
With rats in the kingdom
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 07:21:07 pm »
+2

It would be really nice if you could buy Goko expansions with coins, not just Gokoins....
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 02:01:51 am »
+4

It would be really nice if you could buy Goko expansions with coins, not just Gokoins....

Then, they wouldn't make money.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 08:50:54 am »
+1

I wish there was a way to convert coins to $. Dominion would make me filthy rich.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:03:12 am »

What if they only sold the first few expansions, like Intrigue, Seaside, Alchemy and Prosperity, for coins and kept the others for Gokoins only? Also, they could make each expansion cost around 2,000 coins each and keep the option to buy them for Gokoins. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would still spend Gokoins.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 10:34:22 am »

So I get 24 Dominion Coins for winning a game against 5 Serf Bots. Might I add that I'm getting quite good at the Hermit/Market Square combo, sometimes they contest the components a bit and sometimes I don't, so I guess it's good practice.

It takes 700 Dominion Coins to get 108 Zaps, which by the end of the Hinterlands adventures (I'm currently on Act 3) will last me about 10 or 11 games. Let's be generous and say it's 11.

During those 11 games I will amass 110 Dominion Coins, but it takes 500 Dominion Coins to unlock the last part of the adventure for each set anyways, so I make an average of 1.666666... Dominion Coins per Adventure that I don't have to spend on more adventures. Let's be generous and say 2, so continuing to be generous, 680 Dominion Coins buys me 11 Adventures. That's 61 Dominion Coins per Adventure, or 2.5 games with 5 Serf Bots, for every Adventure game I want to play.

Wow, that's depressing. Maybe if I look at it a different way it will be less so.

I've played through all of the adventures except for Seaside and Intrigue (I've heard these are the worst) and I still have a bit of Hinterlands to go. I think I'll only need maybe 50 Shields after this? Please tell me I only have to do one of Seaside/Intrigue to get all the shields I need.

So let's say I do that: I need to play 60 Adventures games. Let's be generous and say I can get through the first 20 using only the provided Zaps. 40 Games at 10 Zaps is 400 Zaps, which costs what, 2500 Dominion Coins? Plus 500 to unlock the third part. That's 3000 Coins. 120 games against 5 Serf Bots.

I want to cry.

I got this far playing the easy adventures and off my 500 or so wins in multiplayer, but now I have to play 120 more games with bots to get the rest of the coins I need.

Has anyone at Goko actually played through the adventures?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 10:58:31 am »

What if they only sold the first few expansions, like Intrigue, Seaside, Alchemy and Prosperity, for coins and kept the others for Gokoins only? Also, they could make each expansion cost around 2,000 coins each and keep the option to buy them for Gokoins. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would still spend Gokoins.

Coins are an effectively infinite "currency."  I can earn coins by simply losing to other players.  Why would they sell actual cards--other than possibly promos--for coins?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 11:01:33 am »

Because it's Goko?

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 11:05:21 am »

Coins are an effectively infinite "currency."  I can earn coins by simply losing to other players.  Why would they sell actual cards--other than possibly promos--for coins?

Well, you don't get any coins if you resign, so you would have to play the whole game, and you get more coins if you win.

Is there any way for you to get any promotional cards without buying any other adventures besides the base set?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 12:38:16 pm »
+2

I got this far playing the easy adventures and off my 500 or so wins in multiplayer, but now I have to play 120 more games with bots to get the rest of the coins I need.

Dude, if you're grinding for coins, just play real games against real players. It may be slightly slower, but it's way more fun. Do you really need the promo cards immediately?

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »

Dude, if you're grinding for coins, just play real games against real players. It may be slightly slower, but it's way more fun. Do you really need the promo cards immediately?

Wait, you can get promo cards for the regular coins you win in regular games?  How did I not know this?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 12:56:23 pm »
+3

Wait, you can get promo cards for the regular coins you win in regular games?  How did I not know this?

I think that they are discussing ways to earn coins to buy zaps to beat Adventures.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 01:05:16 pm »
+1

For someone who never transitioned to Goko, what could I get for spending $20? Their currency system is complicated enough that I couldn't quickly determine the price of anything. What is 40 owl coins in dollars? What about 450 owl coins?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out 40 coins = $4 US and 450 = $45 US. $20 would get me 5 sets of Dominion expansions plus a bonus one.

New Edit: Wait no, 40 coins gets you half an expansion, and 70 gets you a full one? So you could get 3 expansions plus a bonus one for $21? This is more confusing than I thought.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:14:01 pm by Jorbles »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »
+1

For someone who never transitioned to Goko, what could I get for spending $20? Their currency system is complicated enough that I couldn't quickly determine the price of anything. What is 40 owl coins in dollars? What about 450 owl coins?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out 40 coins = $4 US and 450 = $45 US. $20 would get me 5 sets of Dominion expansions plus a bonus one.

New Edit: Wait no, 40 coins gets you half an expansion, and 70 gets you a full one? So you could get 3 expansions plus a bonus one for $21? This is more confusing than I thought.

For exactly $20 you could buy Super Pack 1, which includes Intrigue, Prosperity, and Seaside. Assuming this deal is still going on, that would also net you all of a small expansion (Cornucopia, Guilds, Alchemy), half of Hinterlands, or one third of Dark Ages. That is the best deal you can get right now for $20 and I suggest you take it.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 03:29:54 pm »

I would like to have the promo cards very soon. Grinding on the Adventures is something I do when I want to play Dominion and nobody is around on Automatch. I would vastly prefer playing real people over any of this crap, but I would like to have that last promo card as well and I don't want to wait multiple months for Dominion Coins to naturally accumulate.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 03:48:33 pm »
+1

I would like to have the promo cards very soon. Grinding on the Adventures is something I do when I want to play Dominion and nobody is around on Automatch. I would vastly prefer playing real people over any of this crap, but I would like to have that last promo card as well and I don't want to wait multiple months for Dominion Coins to naturally accumulate.

Man, I wish I could gift coins and/or zaps. I've got Dominion coins coming out of my ears.

More importantly, I wish it were possible to gift expansions.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.