Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Goko: End of Summer Sale  (Read 12920 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Goko: End of Summer Sale
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »

I got this far playing the easy adventures and off my 500 or so wins in multiplayer, but now I have to play 120 more games with bots to get the rest of the coins I need.

Dude, if you're grinding for coins, just play real games against real players. It may be slightly slower, but it's way more fun. Do you really need the promo cards immediately?

I would like to have the promo cards very soon. Grinding on the Adventures is something I do when I want to play Dominion and nobody is around on Automatch. I would vastly prefer playing real people over any of this crap, but I would like to have that last promo card as well and I don't want to wait multiple months for Dominion Coins to naturally accumulate.

Man, I wish I could gift coins and/or zaps. I've got Dominion coins coming out of my ears.

More importantly, I wish it were possible to gift expansions.

Ooh!  Pick me!  MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 04:57:11 pm »

I've played through all of the adventures except for Seaside and Intrigue (I've heard these are the worst) and I still have a bit of Hinterlands to go. I think I'll only need maybe 50 Shields after this? Please tell me I only have to do one of Seaside/Intrigue to get all the shields I need.
Did you do acts I of Seaside and Intrigue? If not, do them now, they are easy 24 shields.

I got 300 shields and have unfinished Seaside and Hinterlands adventures (ended at Seaside act 3 game 8, Hinterlands act 1 game 20). I think Hinterlands is the worst to do because there's plenty of Noble Brigand there.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 05:12:24 pm »

I've played through all of the adventures except for Seaside and Intrigue (I've heard these are the worst) and I still have a bit of Hinterlands to go. I think I'll only need maybe 50 Shields after this? Please tell me I only have to do one of Seaside/Intrigue to get all the shields I need.
Did you do acts I of Seaside and Intrigue? If not, do them now, they are easy 24 shields.

I got 300 shields and have unfinished Seaside and Hinterlands adventures (ended at Seaside act 3 game 8, Hinterlands act 1 game 20). I think Hinterlands is the worst to do because there's plenty of Noble Brigand there.
I didn't find Act III of Hinterlands too difficult though. You don't see Noble Brigand there often, boosting yourself to 5 Estates can be an advantage with Crossroads and Silk Road on the board, and it mixes in cards from other expansions. It can be fun at times.

Also, in the last boss fight of Act III you only have one opponent.                                             

I'm not looking forward to Seaside Act III, the only Adventure I have to complete. Intrigue isn't so bad unless you just generally dislike that expansion. I don't think it's possible to get enough shields for 4 promos unless a Guilds adventure comes out. I don't want to get more Gokoins just for Stash. Why can't they just gift me the last promo since I already have everything else?

Slyfox

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 10:25:15 pm »

Goko friends!  We're celebrating a great Summer and the beginning of an even better Fall. We're giving an extra Dominion Expansion (for free!) to anyone that orders $20 or more of Dominion Expansions in the next 48 hours. If buying $20 of expansions means you've got them all, then we'll give you Promo Cards, Adventure Finales, or Zaps instead!

Does anyone else think this might be some sort of "end of the quarter" scramble to up their numbers in terms of paying customers, perhaps as part of calculating a valuation for another round of VC funding?  To me, it doesn't seem like a promotion that was well thought out (then again, it is Goko), so it seems more like a desperate attempt to put up some big numbers.   Overall, I think such a sale is likely a bad sign for the overall health and viability of Goko as a company.  Of course, I may be reading too much into it...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 12:33:00 am »

Goko friends!  We're celebrating a great Summer and the beginning of an even better Fall. We're giving an extra Dominion Expansion (for free!) to anyone that orders $20 or more of Dominion Expansions in the next 48 hours. If buying $20 of expansions means you've got them all, then we'll give you Promo Cards, Adventure Finales, or Zaps instead!

Does anyone else think this might be some sort of "end of the quarter" scramble to up their numbers in terms of paying customers, perhaps as part of calculating a valuation for another round of VC funding?  To me, it doesn't seem like a promotion that was well thought out (then again, it is Goko), so it seems more like a desperate attempt to put up some big numbers.   Overall, I think such a sale is likely a bad sign for the overall health and viability of Goko as a company.  Of course, I may be reading too much into it...

To be honest, their sale proposal sucks and they should offer a steeper discount like 30% off or something. Anyway, I wouldn't be anymore worried than I was before. Other places have sales as well. Goko Dominion is year-old now, so having a sale at some point was inevitable.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 09:17:35 am »

I didn't find Act III of Hinterlands too difficult though. You don't see Noble Brigand there often, boosting yourself to 5 Estates can be an advantage with Crossroads and Silk Road on the board, and it mixes in cards from other expansions. It can be fun at times.

Also, in the last boss fight of Act III you only have one opponent.                                             

I'm not looking forward to Seaside Act III, the only Adventure I have to complete. Intrigue isn't so bad unless you just generally dislike that expansion. I don't think it's possible to get enough shields for 4 promos unless a Guilds adventure comes out. I don't want to get more Gokoins just for Stash. Why can't they just gift me the last promo since I already have everything else?

OK this was helpful. I finished up the Hinterlands adventure and played Act 1 of Seaside; I'm most of the way through Act 1 of Intrigue and it doesn't seem as bad. By the end of Seaside Act 1 I had 7 Copper 3 Curse against 4C, 3S, and 3 Provinces. Methinks I don't want to play any more Seaside.

Intrigue is interesting though. I feel like Donald tried to make as many kingdoms as possible where Scout is good -- and it is when there's Great Hall, Harem, and Nobles available (and no other draw). I suppose I'll probably play through Intrigue. The end is in sight.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 10:37:28 am »

Intrigue is interesting though. I feel like Donald tried to make as many kingdoms as possible where Scout is good -- and it is when there's Great Hall, Harem, and Nobles available (and no other draw).

I think this is true, but the missing piece is that when Intrigue was split into two parts for Goko, one part is the part where Scout is awesome. It's got all of Intrigue's Victory cards and Wishing Well, along with Ironworks to help you grab Great Halls and Scouts with little opportunity cost. And Scout, of course. It has Scout, too.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »

I got this far playing the easy adventures and off my 500 or so wins in multiplayer, but now I have to play 120 more games with bots to get the rest of the coins I need.

Dude, if you're grinding for coins, just play real games against real players. It may be slightly slower, but it's way more fun. Do you really need the promo cards immediately?

I would like to have the promo cards very soon. Grinding on the Adventures is something I do when I want to play Dominion and nobody is around on Automatch. I would vastly prefer playing real people over any of this crap, but I would like to have that last promo card as well and I don't want to wait multiple months for Dominion Coins to naturally accumulate.

Man, I wish I could gift coins and/or zaps. I've got Dominion coins coming out of my ears.

I agree. Mainly because I wan to find a way to obtain sets without using Gokoins. Maybe I could bribe someone with coins and/or victory point shields.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 05:06:12 pm »

I agree. Mainly because I wan to find a way to obtain sets without using Gokoins. Maybe I could bribe someone with coins and/or victory point shields.

The only way to get expansions will be with Gokoins, and I am pretty sure it is going to stay that way.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 04:43:38 pm »
+5

Well I bought all the cards during the sale and got black market, envoy, and stash thrown in. Better than grinding on adventures!
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 06:37:12 pm »

Well I bought all the cards during the sale and got black market, envoy, and stash thrown in. Better than grinding on adventures!

That's pretty awesome. Did they let you choose, or did they choose for you? Because I would have got the other two and bought Black Market and Stash with money. It is still going to take a LONG time to get the other two promos.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 07:28:29 pm »

No. They didn't let me choose or I probably would have done the same thing.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 04:22:41 am »
+2

Getting 200 shields for two promos is not so hard, as you can avoid all the adventures which hurt the most. You do Act I of Hinterlands, Intrigue, Prosperity and Seaside, full adventures for Cornucopia, Alchemy, Dark Ages and Base. This is 204 shields and only for Base and DA you have to go past Act I, but those two are actually quite good, I especially enjoyed DA adventures. Of course it's still 260 games (256 if you stop at exactly 200 shields), but you can skip everything that's really bad.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:00 am »

so is the sale still happening?  how much for all sets?

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 12:12:55 pm »

i've seen several people mention that they wish they could just buy the promos with dollars.  Be advised: black market and stash are available for 10 gokoins each (40 gokoins costs $4).
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »

No the sale ended. All the sets is $45 though (450 gokoins).
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 01:36:42 pm »
+1

What on earth does the star system in adventures mean, and does it affect how many shields I get? It seems to fairly arbitrarily assign a number of stars (perhaps based on how many turns it takes me to win?) What's the deal with this?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 01:39:59 pm »
+1

It does not affect how many shields you get.

It assigns stars based on the points difference, I think, but it changes based on how many zaps you used. They're basically meaningless and don't affect anything else - on some levels it's basically impossible to get more than one star (workshop/gardens mirror), on some levels it's trivial to get 3 stars (goons engine), so I'd suggest just not worrying about it.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »
+1

It does not affect how many shields you get.

It assigns stars based on the points difference, I think, but it changes based on how many zaps you used. They're basically meaningless and don't affect anything else - on some levels it's basically impossible to get more than one star (workshop/gardens mirror), on some levels it's trivial to get 3 stars (goons engine), so I'd suggest just not worrying about it.

Good. That is a really stupid system. Thanks!
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 10:06:25 am »

What on earth does the star system in adventures mean, and does it affect how many shields I get? It seems to fairly arbitrarily assign a number of stars (perhaps based on how many turns it takes me to win?) What's the deal with this?

I've gotten high stars for winning in many turns but winning but by a lot of points.  It is of no practical consequence.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.159 seconds with 20 queries.