Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323134 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #1225 on: October 20, 2018, 05:24:31 pm »
+1

Renaissance names have been confirmed, so I updated Research (now Synthesis), Exploration (now Expansion) and Improve (now Enhance).

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 21, 2018, 08:25:22 am »
+2

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:11:08 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 22, 2018, 02:12:29 pm »
+3

I considered doing Outskirts (from that weekly design contest) as an Event, or perhaps even a Landmark:

Some name, 5$, Event
+2 VP
Gain a Duchy. You may trash an Action card from your hand. If you don't, take <5>.

Outskirts, Landmark
When you gain a Duchy, you may trash an Action card from your hand, for +2VP.
Perhaps the Landmark could even apply to any Victory card.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:13:58 pm by Asper »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 22, 2018, 02:41:32 pm »
+1

Great Dominate-style stuff, needs 11 less card-shaped thingies when you print it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 22, 2018, 05:10:25 pm »
+4

Some weird idea I had a while ago. It's not all that greatly executed, but anyhow, the weekly design contest made me think of this.

Introducing "Feats", a mechanic inspired by RPG skill trees. Basically, if you do certain things during the game, put a coin token on the spot of your "Feats" mat (each player gets their own). My current design has the Feats be dependent on each other, starting in the bottom row - so like in a real skill tree, you can't get the one for gaining a Province without either drawing your deck or gaining a Duchy first... Etc. Of course there would be cards that care about the Feats you achieved. Just some examples... This is really experimental, so don't expect great things. That goes for both the actual cards as well as the conditions themselves.

Also, if you misread "Feats" for "Feast", that's totally your fault, not mine  :P There is no Feast Feat.
Edit: Changed the card type from "Courage" to "Fame". Another one that sounds familiar. No, not THAT Familiar!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:39:48 pm by Asper »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: October 22, 2018, 05:14:41 pm »
+1

Some weird idea I had a while ago. It's not all that greatly executed, but anyhow, the weekly design contest made me think of this.

Introducing "Feats", a mechanic inspired by RPG skill trees. Basically, if you do certain things during the game, put a coin token on the spot of your "Feats" mat (each player gets their own). My current design has the Feats be dependent on each other, starting in the bottom row - so like in a real skill tree, you can't get the one for gaining a Province without either drawing your deck or gaining a Duchy first... Etc. Of course there would be cards that care about the Feats you achieved. Just some examples... This is really experimental, so don't expect great things. That goes for both the actual cards as well as the conditions themselves.

Also, if you misread "Feats" for "Feast", that's totally your fault, not mine  :P There is no Feast Feat.
Really neat! The only criticism I have at first glance is that there might not be any attack cards in the kingdom. Other than that I really like this. Also I like having 'gained a Courage card' as a Feat, so that way you always have at least one Feat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:15:58 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 22, 2018, 06:20:53 pm »
+1

The general idea is good. But as Fly said, Attack is bit too Kingdom dependent. Which isn't a problem if there are several maps and you randomize them-
I also think that "no cards in deck or discard pile" condition needs a timing element; otherwise this is fulfilled at the start of the game (empty discard) as well as at the start of turn 2 (empty deck).

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: October 22, 2018, 06:38:35 pm »
+2

The general idea is good. But as Fly said, Attack is bit too Kingdom dependent. Which isn't a problem if there are several maps and you randomize them-
I also think that "no cards in deck or discard pile" condition needs a timing element; otherwise this is fulfilled at the start of the game (empty discard) as well as at the start of turn 2 (empty deck).

Pretty sure it’s supposed to be a “nor”.

Looks fun in principle though!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 22, 2018, 07:27:30 pm »
+1

Oops! Yes, of course it's supposed to be no card in deck nor discard pile.

The attack thing was just a random idea... I wanted some blockers (2$ left, Duchy gaining) but also a path for things you want to do either way. That could also have been something like "Had 7$ or more to spend", "played 6 differently named cards in a turn", or such. I mean, technically, even drawing your deck or something like playing 6 differently named cards are kingdom dependent. I'l listen to any suggestions which Feat one could replace the attack one with.

Pew... I was kinda anxious to show you guys this one  ;D

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 23, 2018, 07:09:05 am »

Which isn't a problem if there are several maps and you randomize them-

About this: There could be several mats, but they would still be the same between all players. I actually feel it's going to be tricky enough to find even one that works.
I DID consider making it more like an actual skill tree in that there could be several starting positions ("Choose your class"), but that would make sense only if there were a few more nodes. And that in turn would of course increase the upper bound of cards that use them (or force me to go with awkward wordings).

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 23, 2018, 07:28:55 am »
+1

I personally think that the way you have it set up is perfect, but maybe change what the feats actually are. I just don't think it should get too complex. I do like the idea of having a couple of different boards, so you can use things that reference certain types. Things like,
Have three cards on your Tavern mat
Receive three Boons on a single turn
etc.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 23, 2018, 07:33:07 am »
+1

Which isn't a problem if there are several maps and you randomize them-

About this: There could be several mats, but they would still be the same between all players. I actually feel it's going to be tricky enough to find even one that works.
I DID consider making it more like an actual skill tree in that there could be several starting positions ("Choose your class"), but that would make sense only if there were a few more nodes. And that in turn would of course increase the upper bound of cards that use them (or force me to go with awkward wordings).
I overread that you just need one of the lower Feats to unlock the one in the upper level so several mats are not necessary and you wisely put the Kingdom-dependent stuff, the Attack, on a slot where it matters not at all for progressing.

Have three cards on your Tavern mat
Receive three Boons on a single turn
etc.
I think that this kind of stuff is far more Kingdom-dependent than having played an Attack. Somebody who doesn't like Adventures and uses no Reserve fan cards could never achieve the first Feat.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 23, 2018, 07:43:19 am »
+2

What I mean is, if you have several boards you could just use ones that fit the kingdom, like when you use Reserve cards (or Miser) then you add that board to the randomizer pile. Or maybe you could have a standard board that always works, and additional feats you can put on the board to use instead.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 23, 2018, 07:51:28 am »
+1

Also, here's a Spellcaster I just made:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:13:32 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 23, 2018, 08:17:03 am »

Also, here's a Spellcaster I just made:

I'm flattered that you like Spellcasters enough to do your own - they haven't gotten that much love historically.

About Nymph, I feel this might be a bit more complex than what I usually would aim for. Not that overpay was a bad match for a Spellcasters - actually, since Spells need to be bought and a lack of buys can be rather unpleasant, it fits pretty great. But both Boons and Spells add quite a bit of complexity, and the overpay effect lasts several turns, so it's a bit much at once. (Not more than some official Nocturne stuff, but well...)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 23, 2018, 08:21:25 am »
+1

Yeah, maybe I'll split up the two halves. For me the top part is just complex enough, but now that I think about it again, the bottom half is a bit much. Anyway I did not want to distract from Feats. I think 'had no cards in deck or discard pile' might not be good either, because that also seems highly board dependant. Here's on idea: Had no Coppers in play at the end of turn, though this could be too long.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:29:57 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 23, 2018, 08:33:10 am »
+1

What I mean is, if you have several boards you could just use ones that fit the kingdom, like when you use Reserve cards (or Miser) then you add that board to the randomizer pile. Or maybe you could have a standard board that always works, and additional feats you can put on the board to use instead.
To elaborate on this further, this is what I mean. You have one board that looks like the one you have, with the Attack one replaced. Then you have other token thingys that can sit on the board to cover up the original Feats. Things like what I said before, or gained a Colony, etc. Then in games using a Courage card, you mix up all of the extra Feats that fit the board, and randomly choose which ones are used.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 23, 2018, 09:16:16 am »

Yeah, maybe I'll split up the two halves. For me the top part is just complex enough, but now that I think about it again, the bottom half is a bit much. Anyway I did not want to distract from Feats. I think 'had no cards in deck or discard pile' might not be good either, because that also seems highly board dependant. Here's on idea: Had no Coppers in play at the end of turn, though this could be too long.

Well, for that one, you need either a trasher, nonterminal draw, or a Village and terminal draw. That seems more likely, to me at least. Coppers could work. While they are a bit redundant to the "2$ left" condition, you can't just get them both at the same time early.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:47 pm »

I'm wondering... Is "Fame" a better type name than "Courage"? Fame mat, with Feats on it, one Feat being to buy a Fame card? I guess... yes? Or will it be confused with Fate?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:16:52 pm by Asper »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 23, 2018, 01:59:21 pm »
+1

I'm wondering... Is "Fame" a better type name than "Courage"? Fame mat, with Feats on it, one Feat being to buy a Fame card? I guess... yes? Or will it be confused with Fate?
Fame would work better... if it couldn't be confused with Fate. I think you should keep it at Courage, since that also works, only because Fate is already a thing. Obviously the Feat/Feast thing doesn't matter since Feast is an outdated card.
Edit: Also, new simpler Nymph.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:13:14 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: October 23, 2018, 03:35:34 pm »

New Nymph seems kinda cute. Are you sure it needs to be a "choose one"?

I have to reiterate at this opportunity that I'm not a fan of the design decision to have some Boons provide +Actions.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: October 23, 2018, 04:26:00 pm »
+1

I have to reiterate at this opportunity that I'm not a fan of the design decision to have some Boons provide +Actions.

No, I'm not sure. Also, I agree with the second part. I'm always happy to get the Field's gift, but it also seems too good, if you decided to play Bard instead of whatever other terminal, and because you got the 1 out of 12, you get to play the other one too. It does work well with Druid, though.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: October 23, 2018, 05:50:10 pm »

No, I'm not sure. Also, I agree with the second part. I'm always happy to get the Field's gift, but it also seems too good, if you decided to play Bard instead of whatever other terminal, and because you got the 1 out of 12, you get to play the other one too. It does work well with Druid, though.

Or on the flipside, you decide to give it a shot, because you think it should be one of the next, and then you screw yourself over. No thanks. Druid is a lot better, but then again, it's hardly a "Fate" card at all. I also think there simply are too many different Boons and Hexes.

I think the issue is general that a card that gives Boons can't really draw cards, because it makes Field's Gift really strong. And with a hypothetical Nymph that can both get a Boon and cast e.g. Wisdom, that's exactly the issue you get. As said, I don't think this is Nymph's fault.
Maybe Nymph should just give +1$, and then still do the choice it originally had. Except then if it's the fifth +Coin Fate card... +2 Actions, maybe? But then it's pretty much just a better Trickster...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:07:35 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: October 23, 2018, 06:18:19 pm »

Speaking of Fate cards... I think I'm going with "Fame", after all. I mean, we have 4 cards about people that supposedly have the ability to look into the future, we have Mine & Mint, I think we'll manage. It just transports the theme better, I think.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: October 25, 2018, 03:35:43 pm »
+3

I think that Headhunter could get away with costing $2. It is a sifter that maintains handsize so in this respect it is better than Cellar or Warehouse but it can only sift through a few cards. It is also similar to this card from the bible from Theta's giant card compendium by ThetaSigma and Adrian Healey:

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 20 queries.