Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Custom Base + Intrigue Travel Set  (Read 10051 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Base + Intrigue Travel Set
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 05:09:06 pm »
+5

Don't exclude Thief, it helps teach important lessons and is sometimes a counter to Chapel. I would also not exclude Mine, which is a perfectly reasonable card and a good example of trash-for-benefit.
The most important lesson Thief teaches is "if you buy Thief, you lose". While that might be an important lesson, it is not a lesson you have to learn during your first couple of games.

OP said most games will be 3 to 4 players, which increases the card's value quite a bit, though.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 04:03:56 pm »
+1

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm starting to rethink my strategy of combining the two sets fairly evenly. Maybe a better strategy would be to just remove Adventurer, Chancellor, and Woodcutter from the base set and add in 5 cards from Intrigue. That way it's still mostly base for all the new people, but there would be some definite strategy shifts based on the Intrigue cards.

Does that sound like a better approach? Did I remove the right cards from base, and which 5 should I bring from Intrigue?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 04:09:56 pm »
+4

Seems reasonable!

Add Wishing Well. Everyone likes wishing.

Might as well add Bridge, it's like a cooler replacement for Woodcutter.

People tend to like Masquerade, I think.

Maybe then add in Mining Village and Courtyard? Or Mining Village and Harem?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 04:33:03 pm »
+1

Removing Chancellor, Woodcutter, and Adventurer from Base and adding in some cards from Intrigue is a great idea.

I like ftl's suggestions.

I would also replace Feast. I like Mining Village as a replacement for Feast because it has the one time trash for benefit effect at $4 and is a little more interesting to play.

Harem can take Adventurer's place at $6 and is a really simple card.

Wishing Well, Bridge, and Masquerade are good suggestions.

Courtyard is the biggest maybe for me. It's a great card, easy to learn, but might be too much draw-big money going on. My preference would be for including Steward over Courtyard. Maybe even include Steward over Masquerade.

I actually might keep this in mind for the next time I introduce someone to Dominion....

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »
+1

I agree with ftl and Polk5440, but with one caveat. I'd add at least one $5 cards since those are the cards that matter the most and the base set is a little short on them.

I'd remove Chancellor, Woodcutter, and Feast. I'd add Wishing Well, Coppersmith, Bridge, Mining Village, and Trading Post. Personally I'd keep Adventurer, but if you want to replace it, Harem is a great choice.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 09:47:27 am »

I just remembered this thread. This evening I am going to be playing Dominion with 3-4 people and at least one will be new to the game, so I am not going to be bringing all of my cards. I am a little less set constrained than OP, so here's the Introduction Travel Set I am going to bring. It's based on the Base Set, but replacing some cards to promote engines and speed up play a little.

From Base: Cellar, Chapel, Village, Workshop, Throne Room, Remodel, Militia, Gardens, Market, Witch, Mine, Festival, Library, Laboratory, Council Room.

In addition: Courtyard, Lighthouse, Wishing Well, Steward, Noble Brigand, Trader, Mining Village, Bridge, Envoy, Hoard.

The thinking: Lighthouse instead of Moat (decreases number of terminals, still gives defense), Wishing Well instead of Spy (more fun, moves more quickly in multi-player, more useful), Noble Brigand instead of Thief, Hoard instead of Adventurer (introduces alt money, more useful, fun to gain golds!), Trader instead of Bureaucrat (gains Silvers, moves more quickly in multiplayer, is a reaction since I removed Moat), Mining Village instead of Feast (another Village and non-terminal to increase engine opportunities; still has one-shot quality), Bridge instead of Woodcutter (useful more often), Steward instead of Chancellor (still gives money, but draw and trash increases engine options).

The big change: I removed Smithy and Moneylender and replaced with Courtyard and Envoy. I had removed some drawing and added trashing in the above changes, so there is room for some more draw, and Envoy and Courtyard are both fun twists on Smithy. By removing Smithy and Moneylender, there is room for both!

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.534 seconds with 21 queries.