Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 620317 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1700 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:22 pm »

I opened Prep yesterday.  One step closer to Miracle!

(It also included my second rare paladin card that draws a card and deals damage equal to its cost, which I believe sucks.)
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: August 12, 2014, 11:28:32 pm »

(It also included my second rare paladin card that draws a card and deals damage equal to its cost, which I believe sucks.)

Holy Wrath is essentially a more swingy Hammer of Wrath. Same effect, variable damage.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 12, 2014, 11:32:09 pm »

Holy Wrath is essentially a more swingy Hammer of Wrath. Same effect, variable damage.

Do you see the card before choosing your target?  That would help.  I've never seen anyone use it, ever.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 12, 2014, 11:35:02 pm »

Do you see the card before choosing your target?  That would help.  I've never seen anyone use it, ever.

No, you don't. It's a gamble, and not one that's worth it. One guy used to against me once, and got lucky by hitting a 7mana card killing a big minion. Easily could have hit a 1-3mana card and it would have sucked.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: August 13, 2014, 12:51:39 am »

It's okay in arena, not worth it in constructed. In constructed you want a lot more consistency than that, in arena you can usually rely on the "at least 3 damage" to get good value
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: August 13, 2014, 01:46:05 am »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1706 on: August 13, 2014, 02:46:49 am »

0 mana cards have to be handled with care in general.  Magic has had zero mana 2/2s with a seeming tough condition totally break the game, so it would require an inordinate amount of finesse to balance a 0 mana 8/8 and its condition.  The result is that it got costed to the point that seemed reasonable back in a more arena-ish environment and now it's too swingy and pivotal
Frogmite is a pretty balanced Magic card, it was the Artifact lands that were the problem.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: August 13, 2014, 08:32:38 pm »

0 mana cards have to be handled with care in general.  Magic has had zero mana 2/2s with a seeming tough condition totally break the game, so it would require an inordinate amount of finesse to balance a 0 mana 8/8 and its condition.  The result is that it got costed to the point that seemed reasonable back in a more arena-ish environment and now it's too swingy and pivotal
Frogmite is a pretty balanced Magic card, it was the Artifact lands that were the problem.
You could argue Life Tap is the problem, and not molten giant.  It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.  Artifact lands were unarguably the most powerful if you look at how they interact with other stuff, yeah, but I was just trying to point out that a strategy involving a 0 mana card can be really powerful

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: August 13, 2014, 09:28:10 pm »

I'm not even sure it's the giant that is the problem; without Defender or Sunfury, that 8/8 body isn't that big a deal when you're already at 12 health.  The combo that makes it a taunt is the truly broken aspect of the Molten Giant.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: August 13, 2014, 10:51:18 pm »
+1

I'm not even sure it's the giant that is the problem; without Defender or Sunfury, that 8/8 body isn't that big a deal when you're already at 12 health.  The combo that makes it a taunt is the truly broken aspect of the Molten Giant.
That's a reasonable argument, but a 0 mana 8/8 is great whenever you can either live to next turn or use it that turn somehow. So even without Sunfury/Argus, there'd be combos like Molten-Shadowflame. Plus, if your giant costs little mana, you have enough mana to dump out some other taunt too (Sludge Belcher, Sunwalker, etc.).

Also, Sunfury and to a lesser extent Argus are not particularly annoying to play against in most contexts, despite being pretty strong cards. Molten Giant is annoying to play against whenever it's viable. (I want to emphasize that I'm not arguing that Molten Giant is overpowered, because I don't think it is. It's just one of the least fun cards to play against that's actually constructed viable.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:52:46 pm by blueblimp »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: August 14, 2014, 08:18:19 am »

So, I am either outright destroying my opponent or getting creamed myself. Rarely do i have the tense game wherein we both get to low health and it ends with whoever got the next to last shot in. I'm not sure exactly how the system goes about matching opponents. I suppose there is always the luck factor where my priest deck gives me a series of taunts and lines up my Lightspawn with Divine Spirit right as I get 6 mana to spend. However, I am frequently smashing my opponent when I am basically just setting down a series of basic cards with no significant synergies.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:04 am »

So, I am either outright destroying my opponent or getting creamed myself. Rarely do i have the tense game wherein we both get to low health and it ends with whoever got the next to last shot in. I'm not sure exactly how the system goes about matching opponents. I suppose there is always the luck factor where my priest deck gives me a series of taunts and lines up my Lightspawn with Divine Spirit right as I get 6 mana to spend. However, I am frequently smashing my opponent when I am basically just setting down a series of basic cards with no significant synergies.

Lightspawn shenanigans are fairly gimmicky, and either work really well or not at all. I suspect that with the nax cards, and people running a bot more silence than usual, it's not going to get better. So if you're waiting on hitting a massive lightspawn, your plan is only going to work sometimes, and when it does you'll crush. But otherwise it fails and you lose very fast. This is the same with decks using Inner Fire to make a huge minion early on. Sometimes you get it on a sheildbearer turn 3, and win with that 8/7. Sometimes I just silence it and the rest of the deck sucks.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:48 am »

Yeah, that's what I am saying; sometimes luck is the obvious factor in the crushing win. But in most cases it is an obvious lopsided skill advantage either in deck construction and anticipation of the opponent's following cards or making the most efficient plays with what is on the board and in hand. When I get crushed the person has an amazingly crafted deck that syngergizes extremely well and appears to be stacked to come out in the order it does. When I do the crushing the other guy is clearly not very good at all. I hold no illusion that I am particularly strong but I am clearly not playing weakly, either. My complaint is the matching system where I am rarely playing outside these two extremes.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1713 on: August 14, 2014, 11:37:25 am »

I also have a similar experience about playing against Priest decks with my Paladin midrange. For most parts, it always feels like I have the advantage, but then the Priest might just suddenly win the game out of the blue and if he doesn't or if I have an answer, I win. Against other classes it's much more common to have a close game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: August 14, 2014, 02:51:30 pm »

I got the brown card back! Only one left to collect, now.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: August 14, 2014, 04:45:48 pm »

I got Fireside Gathering one today, completing my collection :P

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 14, 2014, 05:34:34 pm »

I got Fireside Gathering one today, completing my collection :P

You can still get that? I thought it was a limited time thing. Not that I can get it. No one to do a fireside gathering with.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1717 on: August 15, 2014, 09:49:06 am »

So, I've been annoyed by the incredibly slow animations in Hearthstone for a while. I'm using a speedhack now. ;D

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: August 15, 2014, 10:29:14 am »

Can you give a link? That sounds quite interesting.

On a related note, I started using this addon recently: https://github.com/Epix37/Hearthstone-Deck-Tracker/
It's quite similar to the old isotropic card counter extension, and gives lots of information.
I feel a bit bad for using it, but if Blizzard makes bad design decisions, such as being able to track when a card in your opponent's hand was drawn, I guess it's not my fault if I make use of that information.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: August 15, 2014, 10:44:48 am »

So looking at that information, it's neat, but what's a situation where it will really help? 

I already know what I have and haven't played out of my deck, all I'm missing there is the exact probabilities of getting a certain card in my hand.  I don't know when the exact probabilities are more useful than the general guideline of "I have two copies of flametongue left in my deck, and 14 cards...1/7 doesn't seem super likely."

And the time used...ehh...ok.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1720 on: August 15, 2014, 11:03:13 am »

Can you give a link? That sounds quite interesting.
I just use the speedhack feature in Cheat Engine. It should be noted that when you're about to run out of time, it makes the countdown animation faster so it looks like it's going to end faster than it actually is, but the actual time isn't shortened since it's server-based, so if you need to know how much time you have left, you have to find out by listening to the music.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: August 15, 2014, 01:29:02 pm »

So looking at that information, it's neat, but what's a situation where it will really help? 

I already know what I have and haven't played out of my deck, all I'm missing there is the exact probabilities of getting a certain card in my hand.  I don't know when the exact probabilities are more useful than the general guideline of "I have two copies of flametongue left in my deck, and 14 cards...1/7 doesn't seem super likely."

And the time used...ehh...ok.

Spending less time to think about what outs you can get is helpful, because that could be spread out over many cards. I think turn opponent drew card is more important - at best I notice when my opponent topdecks something good, or when they play a card that's been in their hand for a long time.

Semi-ontopic, if you have 2 copies of a board wipe (say, 2 Flamestrikes), you should play the one furthest left. That way, if your opponent is tracking your hand, they'll be more likely to think that you've saved Flamestrike as long as possible and are out of removal. If you play the one further right, they'll know you're still holding a card for something.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: August 15, 2014, 03:32:52 pm »

Playing on iPad with zero sound... I do pay attention to which cards are coming out of the hand, though.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: August 15, 2014, 05:05:23 pm »

Just opened my second legendary:  Al'akir

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: August 15, 2014, 11:19:16 pm »

Just opened my second legendary:  Al'akir

He was also my second. He's pretty good. I use him when I play Shaman as my expensive drop. He's best when you can combo him with a Rockbiter of flametongue, where he will easily go 2 for 1 with large minions or do tons of face damage. Otherwise he's weaker but can still be a significant threat.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.