Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 620387 times)

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1675 on: August 09, 2014, 05:03:24 pm »
+1

"I hope you realize how terrible that deck is and how lucky you are to have won a single game with it you #$%^er"

Music to my ears.

But but how were you able to hear that music?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 10, 2014, 05:06:09 pm »

I was playing Watcher Paladin.  It was pretty good the day I played it, but there's too much druid now for me to keep it up

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 10, 2014, 05:06:40 pm »

He disliked that I stabilized at 1 health with double molten giant

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 10, 2014, 05:21:32 pm »

Well, that's what Molten Giant is for. I'm not a big fan of that card design because it's a bit unfun to play against. Playing against it, you get lose-lose scenarios where if you attack face, you may get shut down completely by double molten giant taunt, but if you don't, you may never be able to deal lethal damage. So unless you have burst available, you may simply need to YOLO face and hope they don't have both giants in hand. (A single one is often manageable.)

It's essentially the only card that punishes you for directly pursuing the win condition of the game. Some others come to mind but they are more subtle (e.g. Mortal Strike).

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 10, 2014, 05:50:16 pm »

Well, that's what Molten Giant is for. I'm not a big fan of that card design because it's a bit unfun to play against. Playing against it, you get lose-lose scenarios where if you attack face, you may get shut down completely by double molten giant taunt, but if you don't, you may never be able to deal lethal damage. So unless you have burst available, you may simply need to YOLO face and hope they don't have both giants in hand. (A single one is often manageable.)

It's essentially the only card that punishes you for directly pursuing the win condition of the game. Some others come to mind but they are more subtle (e.g. Mortal Strike).

Unleash the Hounds.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: August 10, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »
+1

Unleash the Hounds.

I didn't know win condition was to put on the board as much minions as possible

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 10, 2014, 08:37:13 pm »

The frustrating part about playing vs Molten Giants is that it can put you in a situation where doing anything actually puts you farther from winning, instead of closer. Against UTH, you can still safely put 1-2 minions on the board, so you at least have the option of attacking into something. It can be frustrating too, but not in the same way.

Part of the fun of card games is having edge cases to rules of thumb, but I feel that an exception should be the direct win condition of the game. It's okay (and good) to have an opportunity cost associated with directly pursuing the win condition of the game, for example how turn 1 arcane missiles is typically a bad play, but in that case it's not that doing the 3 face damage was itself bad, it's that you'd be better off saving the card to use later.

For example, in Dominion, the win condition is having the most victory points. There's no card that punishes you directly for having victory points. You are punished in various ways for having victory cards in your deck, but that's not the win condition of the game itself, but just the primary way to pursue it, and moreover those punishments are usually subtle (like clogging your hands, or getting hit by Jester).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 11, 2014, 10:20:13 pm »

Just had a weird game against a priest who dropped 8? Legendary cards in a row.  I think it was:

Maexxna, Loatheb, Alex, Velen, Gruul, Murk-Eye, The inventor, then Nagle

But he clearly wasn't trying to win, as he just left my Alex out to pummel him.  Weird deck...
Man, I just faced a druid with like 10-12 legendaries. I lost to fatigue.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 11, 2014, 11:38:17 pm »

Hmmm, now that Naxxramas is out, it is possible to construct a deck consisting entirely of legendaries.

(Although imo it is pretty dumb that Naxx cards even have rarities so idk if this really counts)

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 11, 2014, 11:47:17 pm »
+2

The rarities matter for arena.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 11, 2014, 11:50:33 pm »

Ah, that makes sense.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 12, 2014, 10:53:46 am »

And also for how many you can put in a deck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 12, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »

I just opened a golden mana wraith.  Any reason for me to keep it?  I don't have another mana wraith to replace it, but I don't think it's that useful in the first place, right?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: August 12, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »
+1

I just opened a golden mana wraith.  Any reason for me to keep it?  I don't have another mana wraith to replace it, but I don't think it's that useful in the first place, right?

I generally keep all my cards and only disenchant when I want to craft something. But no, it's not very useful.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 12, 2014, 01:56:41 pm »

I usually disenchant gold cards unless I need them right now in one of my decks

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 12, 2014, 01:59:11 pm »

I've been waiting to DE golds until I have 2 plain versions.  But I also don't really have enough dust to do much yet, so I guess I'll keep it until I craft a sweet deck

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1691 on: August 12, 2014, 02:07:09 pm »
+2

There's no real reason to ever DE unless you are in the middle of a crafting session.  If a card is changed/nerfed, you also temporarily get free full DE value.  So once Blizzard opens their eyes to the rancid OPness that is Mana Wraith, you will be in DE value town.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: August 12, 2014, 02:27:11 pm »

I'm waiting for a Malygos or Illidan Stormrage nerf, I've got 2 copies of both for whatever reason.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 12, 2014, 04:49:28 pm »

There's no real reason to ever DE unless you are in the middle of a crafting session.  If a card is changed/nerfed, you also temporarily get free full DE value.  So once Blizzard opens their eyes to the rancid OPness that is Mana Wraith, you will be in DE value town.

I once got roflstomped by a druid who had not just one but two Mana Wraiths.  Totally killed my curve.  So OP.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: August 12, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »

I once got roflstomped by a druid who had not just one but two Mana Wraiths.  Totally killed my curve.  So OP.

I once tried to use it as a delay in a Priest deck. It worked if my opponent couldn't instantly remove it. otherwise it didn't affect the game in anyway.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:51 pm »

There's nothing wrong with Mana Wraith. It trades with other 2-drops, and if you're ahead on the board, it can cause real problems for your opponent. They waste a mana, then you trade the Wraith for whatever and the effect goes away. If they have to play a 2-drop on turn 3 which trades with the Wraith, you just traded up 1 mana. And then if you have stuff like Feral Spirit which gives you minions without playing minion cards, you can let the Wraith live and keep annoying. Overall, worst case isn't too bad, but best case isn't spectacular either.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: August 12, 2014, 09:58:22 pm »

I think Molten Giant is the most poorly designed card in Hearthstone, but I'm not sure the win condition thing has so much to do with it.  I think the issue is that it makes you play in a way that will cause you to lose a -significant minority- of the time.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: August 12, 2014, 10:20:19 pm »

Turn 4-5 is really early in the game and that's about when the aggro player has to choose between not attacking down to 10 and attacking down to 10.  Attacking down to 10 to make the game 60-40 in their favor or something like that is always the correct decision, and it cuts the game short to a coin flip before the players play a full game

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: August 12, 2014, 10:22:45 pm »
+1

0 mana cards have to be handled with care in general.  Magic has had zero mana 2/2s with a seeming tough condition totally break the game, so it would require an inordinate amount of finesse to balance a 0 mana 8/8 and its condition.  The result is that it got costed to the point that seemed reasonable back in a more arena-ish environment and now it's too swingy and pivotal

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:10 pm »

The Warsong Commander nerf to avoid nerfing Molten Giant was just the worst, though.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.