Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 620318 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1450 on: July 01, 2014, 09:59:57 pm »

So I just opened a second Faceless the other night.  Is having two in a deck worth it (for non-aggro decks)?  It's such a huge card.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: July 01, 2014, 11:04:06 pm »

You want 2xTracking as it digs for specific answers. Your deck is an answer-y deck.

I just don't have the answers in the deck yet.  No Snipe, no Misdirection, no Longbow, no legendaries (except KK).  I guess it can hunt for the big minions when needed later.

Well the traps and bow are still "answers". Teacher might be okay, but you have no way to buff the tokens and it kind of conflicts with Pyromancer. It might be okay as a Yeti, but Sen'jin might be better.

So I just opened a second Faceless the other night.  Is having two in a deck worth it (for non-aggro decks)?  It's such a huge card.

Absolutely. I say you rate the controlly-ness of a deck by the number of Facelesses it has. I like double Faceless in Taunt Ramp Druid and Handlock. I've seen it in Control Warrior too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:09:13 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: July 02, 2014, 01:39:49 am »

You don't take any damage while attacking with a Gladiator's Longbow.

I know. That's why Explosive Shot is a similar replacement. You don't take any damage when you cast a spell.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 02, 2014, 02:15:11 am »

Ah. I thought it was a pros and cons thing. :P

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: July 02, 2014, 06:27:01 am »

Millhouse Manastorm and The Beast, please welcome the newcomer to the group "shitty legendaries that Grujah opened" - Nozdormu.

I seriously consider dusting him.  :-\

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: July 02, 2014, 08:15:18 am »
+1

Millhouse Manastorm and The Beast, please welcome the newcomer to the group "shitty legendaries that Grujah opened" - Nozdormu.

No, you should try making a deck with a bunch of secrets, so that on your opponent's turn the secret-triggering takes their whole 15 seconds and they can't play.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 02, 2014, 09:28:43 am »

No, you should try making a deck with a bunch of secrets, so that on your opponent's turn the secret-triggering takes their whole 15 seconds and they can't play.
A quick Google search on "hearthstone nozmordu bug" shows posts of people complaining that the "15 seconds" can extend to over 30 seconds. Having the card be buggy like that just adds insult to injury.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: July 02, 2014, 09:33:44 am »

Well, at least I am one legendary closer to making Randuin Wrynn :P

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: July 02, 2014, 10:42:54 am »

That would actually be legitimately hilarious.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: July 02, 2014, 10:47:48 am »

If Nozdormu were something like a 4/8 for 7 instead of an 8/8 for 9, he'd be a decent counter to Miracle Rogue. Of course, I'd rather he not be, because I don't think it's a really legitimate mechanic.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: July 02, 2014, 11:58:31 am »

If Nozdormu were something like a 4/8 for 7 instead of an 8/8 for 9, he'd be a decent counter to Miracle Rogue. Of course, I'd rather he not be, because I don't think it's a really legitimate mechanic.
That would be a pretty heavy-handed counter to Miracle Rogue.
"Why does it have exactly 4 attack?"
"Coincidence".

Given that Hearthstone is an online game susceptible to lag and whatnot, I'm inclined to agree that the Nozmordu mechanic isn't legitimate or it's particularly good for the game. We can totally have Hearthstone without Nozmordu as it currently is.

Stat wise, it's worse than King Krush.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 02, 2014, 12:05:14 pm »
+1

Revisiting the question I asked a while ago about which Hearthstone cards couldn't be done in Magic, turns out that somebody re-did all Hearthstone cards as Magic cards. That demonstrates which mechanics can't carry over.

An interesting one is positioning. For example, Defender of Argus. Magic doesn't have that concept.

I've come to appreciate the depth of positioning more since playing a lot of zoo. I argue that zoo must think the most about positioning of any constructed deck, for two reasons:
  • It runs Dire Wolf Alpha and Defender of Argus, which both have usefulness that depends on your minion positioning.
  • Zoo intends to enter topdeck mode quickly in order to play Soulfires and Doomguards without discarding cards, so you often can't plan your positioning based on what you have in hand.

As an example of a consideration for zoo positioning, you'll typically want to buff minions that are about to trade. That makes you want to clump your trade-friendly minions (such as Scarlet Crusader) together, as opposed to your more support-oriented minions (such as Knife Juggler).

Another example: if you have duplicate minions, you want to allow more possibilities for buffs. For instance, Crusader-Golem-Golem is arguably better positioning than Golem-Crusader-Golem, because in the former case you have the option of buffing either both Golems or the Crusader and a Golem, while in the latter case you can't choose to buff both Golems. On the other hand, if you play a Wolf and your Crusader has already lost its shield, then the latter positioning is better because you can trade off the Crusader and then the damage buff transfers to the Golem.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 02, 2014, 12:11:22 pm »

I agree with you about it not being a legitimate mechanic, especially since now there's an iPad version and it takes longer just to gives your orders for a turn. If Nozdormu were viable, it'd be very unfair to players using an iPad.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 02, 2014, 12:14:13 pm »
+1

Another one heavy on that was my Shaman Tokens.
You play Violet Teacher, that shits tokens on the right of her, your hero power summons on far right, and so do spirit wolves, and you run Flametongue and you can also fit in Argus/Direwolf.
Not only do you need to be careful with positioning, actually casting stuff screws you up so you have to consider that as well.

Reading cards now.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 02, 2014, 08:16:59 pm »

UGGGGGHHHHHHHHH I was behind from the beginning as a priest vs. a mage in arena.  But I'm down to 1 health and about to win, but then ice block...  I hate mages

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 03, 2014, 07:41:56 am »

I can no longer complain that all I have is King Krush...

Just opened Alexstrasza...is that good?  I feel like it's not great.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 03, 2014, 07:56:04 am »

It is a really essential part of some decks. I think it's probably one of the better legendaries.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 03, 2014, 08:10:06 am »

She's great. Powerful and a big player in many decks, mostly control. I'd say After Leeroy, Rag, TBK, Cairne and Thalnos, she's probably the best.
She's big in Control Warrior and esp. Freeze Mage, and I've seen her in Handlocks occasionally and some Druid control.

Like, RDU won Dreamhack with her. :P
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/63979-rdus-freeze-mage-dreamhack-winner

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1468 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:09 am »

Alexstraza is a game-defining card.  I think if you had to make a list of which cards impact the scene the most, Alexstraza has to be one of the highest neutrals, certainly one of the highest legendaries.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 03, 2014, 09:52:10 am »

Cool to see her get such high reviews...I think I need to study her.  At first glance, seems like a super Nightblade (big body with face damage) or super Earthen Ring Farseer (body with heal).
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: July 03, 2014, 11:02:15 am »

The key to Alexstrasza is that she allows you to play defensive all game, not dealing any damage to your opponent, and then on turn 9 make up for all the damage you didn't do and put your opponent under immediate life pressure. So she sets up decks that are just defend/draw and then burst, most notably freeze mage, but it's not hard to make other decks in that style.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 03, 2014, 12:43:37 pm »

Cool to see her get such high reviews...I think I need to study her.  At first glance, seems like a super Nightblade (big body with face damage) or super Earthen Ring Farseer (body with heal).

That's actually why she's so interesting. She can be used in two different types of decks. If you're low on life in the late game she can heal you up to give you an extra turn of doing face damage or if you have lots of health she can do a whole bunch of damage to your opponent at once allowing you to burst them down the next turn.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: July 03, 2014, 01:04:18 pm »
+1

That's actually why she's so interesting. She can be used in two different types of decks. If you're low on life in the late game she can heal you up to give you an extra turn of doing face damage or if you have lots of health she can do a whole bunch of damage to your opponent at once allowing you to burst them down the next turn.

She can't actually be used in 2 types of decks. Having 2 alternatives to the ability gives an alternative _use_ in the deck for dealing with aggro, but you can't put it in a deck just for the healing ability. It's too situational.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: July 03, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »

One way to see the situationalness of the healing is that, for it to help, you must be well under 15, not dead yet, and in a situation where you can afford to spend your whole turn playing Alex. That's not so common in the current meta where many decks do half your life in burst (e.g. FoN/SR, Rogue Leeroy combos, Freeze Mage finisher) or often still have board control when they win (zoo).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1474 on: July 03, 2014, 01:36:45 pm »

To be fair, the meta has adapted to Alex.  She is the reason why those decks are required to run 15+ burst.  If your opponent's deck can't actually burst for that much she is still just as powerful as she was before.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.