Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 620422 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1250 on: June 12, 2014, 01:18:12 pm »
+1

3/4 for 3 with life gain? I'm getting a really power creepy feel about that.

You're afraid about Priest getting stronger? It's a class-specific card, those are allowed to have ridiculous stats. It's not like this card is blowing away Frothing or Unbound.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:19:59 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1251 on: June 12, 2014, 01:38:27 pm »

Depends on whether there are going to be vanilla 3/4 minions.  I don't think it affects "tempo Priest" since that doesn't really exist anyway, but I think it will be a huge boon for Arena Priest.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 12, 2014, 01:41:42 pm »

I wonder if the new Priest card is meant to interact with Auchenai Soulpriest to destroy your other minions that have deathrattle. Probably too farfetched and dangerous.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 12, 2014, 01:57:07 pm »

I wonder if the new Priest card is meant to interact with Auchenai Soulpriest to destroy your other minions that have deathrattle. Probably too farfetched and dangerous.

I don't think this does damage with Soulpriest on the board.  Giving +3 health is different from healing, right?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 12, 2014, 01:58:26 pm »

I don't think this does damage with Soulpriest on the board.  Giving +3 health is different from healing, right?

Right. It's Temple Enforcer battlecry.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 12, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »

Woah, I thought it restored +3 health. It's actually giving +3 health. That's way better.

Having that on a 3 mana 3/4 minion is pretty sweet for the Priest.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 12, 2014, 04:34:56 pm »

Depends on whether there are going to be vanilla 3/4 minions.  I don't think it affects "tempo Priest" since that doesn't really exist anyway, but I think it will be a huge boon for Arena Priest.
Yep, it'll be great in arena. Even a vanilla 3/4 would be pretty good, as a sort of mini-Yeti, since it trades for raptor+ping or two crocs. The deathrattle, if there's a minion to hit, is super strong (a total stats of 3/7, more than a turtle, which costs 4 mana). Of course, your opponent has some ability to deny you the deathrattle effect.

The closest comparisons are Unbound Elemental and Frothing Berserker, which are the other non-penalized 3-drops with 4+ health and 2+ attack, and those are strong cards in arena. I expect Dark Cultist will be weaker than frothing, since frothing has a much higher ceiling, but frothing is rare and cultist is common. I think it'll be a little stronger than unbound in arena, since it's a little rare to connect unbound with overload cards in arena.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 12, 2014, 09:08:21 pm »

I plan on playing through an arena run tomorrow at 6:50am EST and streaming it.  Seeing as how my average wins per arena are at 3 right now, that should go pretty quickly...I might continue if I have time (I'd like to stream for 90 minutes) by playing some ranked with my Priest Deck that I normally ladder with.  I could also be convinced to cobble together a veeerrrry basic shaman deck as I had a lot of fun with that class in a recent Arena.  Or my Hunter Deck which I can't tell if I enjoy playing.

If anybody can watch and has a preference for what ranked deck I should play, let me know.

http://www.twitch.tv/shraeye

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 12, 2014, 09:11:56 pm »

I've recently been playing with a budget version of rrenaud's Reynad's Try Harder warrior deck.  At my level, seems to work pretty well.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 13, 2014, 01:27:45 am »

Ugh.  I look at this and think, man, this deck should have been a fucking beast in arena.  Something like five taunts, 3x Starfire, Leeroy to boot!  And then I got two wins.

http://arenamastery.com/SwFE

I will say that Leeroy + Swipe is quite nice.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: June 13, 2014, 03:06:15 am »

Ugh.  I look at this and think, man, this deck should have been a fucking beast in arena.  Something like five taunts, 3x Starfire, Leeroy to boot!  And then I got two wins.

I really don't like playing more than one starfire.  It's a good effect to have late game, but it's just so expensive for the board impact it has that it can really be a liability to draw.  If you're at all behind it just doesn't do enough to justify costing 6 mana.. and if you're ahead, I'd rather just play a minion.  It's great in topdeck battles, but how often do games really come down to topdecking?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 13, 2014, 04:49:02 am »

These last 2-3 days I fell from rank 2 to rank 5, and I grinded really hard for it  :'(

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 13, 2014, 08:07:28 am »

I really don't like playing more than one starfire.  It's a good effect to have late game, but it's just so expensive for the board impact it has that it can really be a liability to draw.  If you're at all behind it just doesn't do enough to justify costing 6 mana.. and if you're ahead, I'd rather just play a minion.  It's great in topdeck battles, but how often do games really come down to topdecking?

I don't see anything wrong with having multiple Starfires. It's not that situational of a card. It's general-purpose removal. There are a lot of minions with 4-5 health, so you will not usually lack targets. The cards that drop a lot in value when you already have one are the ones that are only useful is specific uncommon situations. There is of course another consideration, and that's mana curve. This deck ends up with 13 cards at 5+ mana, which is kind of a lot. This makes the drawing power of the Starfires and Lores less valuable, since you won't actually be able to play all your cards. I would have taken all 3 Starfires -- look what they're up against. (You could make an argument for taking the Knight instead of the second one, since you also already have a Lore, but I try not to worry too much about curve that early. You have no idea what the rest of the draft is going to look like.) But toward the end of the draft, you do have to start thinking more about curve. I might have passed on the Warlord and second Fen Creeper, opting for the Bluegill and Naturalize. You could also make an argument for picking the Wild Growths a couple picks before. You have a high curve, and a bunch of removal and taunts do not die from the loss of board control on turn 2 from playing Wild Growth.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 13, 2014, 09:30:11 am »

I agree that I take the second and third starfires.  I would probably take mad bomber before starfire, though.. I think it's a better card.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1264 on: June 13, 2014, 10:15:55 am »

Do you want to screenshare via Google Hangouts, or stream your games with OBS or something?  Maybe you're making play mistakes that are holding your decks back?  This deck certainly should have gotten more than 2 wins.  I think the draft is mostly fine though Wild Growth on #24 is a serious consideration given your mana curve.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1265 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:07 am »

I plan on playing through an arena run tomorrow at 6:50am EST and streaming it.  Seeing as how my average wins per arena are at 3 right now, that should go pretty quickly...I might continue if I have time (I'd like to stream for 90 minutes) by playing some ranked with my Priest Deck that I normally ladder with.  I could also be convinced to cobble together a veeerrrry basic shaman deck as I had a lot of fun with that class in a recent Arena.  Or my Hunter Deck which I can't tell if I enjoy playing.

If anybody can watch and has a preference for what ranked deck I should play, let me know.

http://www.twitch.tv/shraeye

I clicked to a random part of the video and so I can't offer any other comments, but your play at 36:30 here (http://www.twitch.tv/shraeye/b/538054804) is incorrect.  Coining out a Cold Blood onto that Murloc is a massive waste.  It doesn't "do anything" that turn.  In general I wait to use Cold Blood and cards like it until it meaningfully affects the board (for example, I have a Argent Squire, he puts out a Yeti, I Cold Blood my 1/1 into a 5/1 and let it trade with a 4/5 for an AMAZING trade).  Turning a 1/2 into a 5/2 without even it attacking this turn is bad for several reasons:

1. It lets him silence you or remove your buffs;
2. It lets him play the optimal response, which is a 2/1 (even worse, a 2/1 with Charge aka Bluegill).  Now he's used one card to take out your three cards, and you two are in equal position.
3. You might end up wasting the effect of the card.  Suppose he plays the most common 2drop, some generic 3/2.  Either you trade or he trades, but regardless, you've used Coin, Murloc, and Cold Blood to take it out, when you could have just used Murloc + hero power.  Or even something like Novice Engineer, which your Murloc could have taken out by itself.
4. You waste the Coin, which could have allowed you to make a big board swing later.
5. You waste ability later to smooth out your mana.  Every odd-mana turn requires you to play an odd-mana card.  Those turns frequently end up with 1 mana wasted because even-mana creatures are better than odd-mana creatures.  Cold Blood is the perfect way to fill in that mana.
6. You're using a very strong card on a very weak creature. 

Of course, you're in the 0-1 bracket so you run into someone who plays literally the worst possible card into your 5/2 Murloc, so it didn't end up being a problem, but plays like those can cost you games.

Your play at 39:00 is also incorrect.  Just play the 5/4.  WTF is the 2/2 going to do to you?  Maybe later he plays an Argent Commander -- now you want to Bluegill that.  Or Shiv it, or whatever. 

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 13, 2014, 02:10:49 pm »

thanks!  I'm sometimes too fanatical about wanting their side of the board clear!

It's things like this that I need to get in my head good....0-3 is pretty laughably bad.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:17:33 pm by shraeye »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 13, 2014, 03:53:36 pm »

Your play at 39:00 is also incorrect.  Just play the 5/4.  WTF is the 2/2 going to do to you?  Maybe later he plays an Argent Commander -- now you want to Bluegill that.  Or Shiv it, or whatever.
Gotta disagree here. If you play the 5/4, he can play Dark Iron Dwarf to trade the 2/2 with the 5/4, which is a very nice trade for him. I think the right play here is Shiv->Stab 2/2->Redagger. It's not great, but I don't see anything better. (Playing the Bluegill Warrior is certainly wrong because he kills it for free with hero power.)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1268 on: June 13, 2014, 03:57:02 pm »

Certainly true, but isn't the alternative play bad enough that you just hope that he doesn't have DID in hand?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 13, 2014, 04:39:56 pm »

Certainly true, but isn't the alternative play bad enough that you just hope that he doesn't have DID in hand?
Well, the only thing bad about shiv+dagger is that it leaves an empty board, ceding board control to your opponent by default. But looking at his hand, there are some tools in there to get board control back (Assassin's Blade, Fen Creeper), so that's not a complete disaster, plus you're at almost full life and have some room for error because of that.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 13, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »

So the reason I went with Rogue was to finish up some quest to get two wins with a Rogue.  I tried to get some wins with my constructed rogue deck and this is also not working.  I am apparently just bad with Rogue...so I'm working on that.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 13, 2014, 06:34:14 pm »

So the reason I went with Rogue was to finish up some quest to get two wins with a Rogue.  I tried to get some wins with my constructed rogue deck and this is also not working.  I am apparently just bad with Rogue...so I'm working on that.
I know that feeling. I haven't built a deck for every class yet, so I use the Arena to complete quests for my weak classes.

On that note, how often does it happen that you get a 5-win-with-class-X-Or-Y quest for 60 Gold? I got a quest like that after missing 2 days. I was fortunate enough to complete such a quest for Paladin win one arena run.

I want to start tracking my stats with arena mastery too. I'm also interested in hearing feedback about my play. I might stream a run one of these days.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 13, 2014, 06:40:33 pm »

It blows away Frothing AND Unbound. 

Frothing is completely dealt with by 4 damage worth of removal.  Death priest is dealt with by a minimum of 4 damage worth of removal, but sometimes more than that if you can't easily wipe the rest of the board (which would be particularly hard to do against coined deathpriest into deathpriest in particular).

Unbound Elemental isn't even an auto 2-of like Beserker, so by the transitive property it is worse.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 13, 2014, 07:21:14 pm »

Do you want to screenshare via Google Hangouts, or stream your games with OBS or something?  Maybe you're making play mistakes that are holding your decks back?  This deck certainly should have gotten more than 2 wins.  I think the draft is mostly fine though Wild Growth on #24 is a serious consideration given your mana curve.

I might try to stream at some point, likely with no sound; I'm certain I'm making mistakes.

I'll note that one of the losses went like this:  Play Leeroy; Swipe away whelps and another 4-health minion; disconnect; never get to attack with Leeroy, who got killed while I was disconnected.  It could have gone either way without that muck-up; instead, we went very to extra innings, and fatigue was going to kill me before it killed a priest.

Edit:  And the first loss involved Humility hitting both 4- and 5- drops, and Argent Protector making it impossible to kill anything.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:11:04 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 14, 2014, 11:32:07 am »

I can't believe I'm streaming a Hearthstone video before streaming a Dominion video. In the name of getting better and hopefully receiving some feedback, I'll be streaming an arena run. My last couple of runs have been pretty good at 4-3 and 5-3. Let's see if I can keep it up.

I won't be adding any commentary to it for a few reasons. I don't want my opinion to influence analysis, I don't want to slow down the pace of the game by adding commentary, and Hearthstone feels like it's meant to appear relaxing and rather silent.

My channel:
http://www.twitch.tv/markusincos

Edit: Stream over. Thanks to everyone who watched my first ever stream. It was fun.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:35:43 pm by markusin »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.