Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 620427 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1225 on: June 10, 2014, 07:13:13 am »
+1

I got a 6-3 arena run yesterday, with the Shaman of all classes. Having 3 Flametongue totems seemed to pay off.

Oh yeah, that's my personal best right now.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:52:39 am by markusin »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 10, 2014, 07:58:57 am »

nice, i'm hoping for a good result someday. just started doing arenas...I have a 4 win mage, yay.  so, i guess that's infinitely beatable.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 10, 2014, 12:12:53 pm »

Five Eviscerates??  Note that over the course of three games, I saw a total of four Evis.
Yeah. You really can't ever have too many Eviscerates. Maybe 20 is the limit... They trade evenly with 2-drops, combo for bigger stuff, and can be burn.

I remember once back when I played Mtg a friend of mine not knowing the rules around deck construction made a deck that was all the Lightning Bolts he could get his hands on (1 red mana, 3 damage). It was a surprisingly difficult deck to beat given its narrow focus. Eviscerate is similar to Lightning Bolt, it's just a really efficient way to turn a resource into damage. If you could build a deck with just card draw, spell power and Eviscerates you'd have a very boring, but very effective deck.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 10, 2014, 12:21:30 pm »

Five Eviscerates??  Note that over the course of three games, I saw a total of four Evis.
Yeah. You really can't ever have too many Eviscerates. Maybe 20 is the limit... They trade evenly with 2-drops, combo for bigger stuff, and can be burn.

I remember once back when I played Mtg a friend of mine not knowing the rules around deck construction made a deck that was all the Lightning Bolts he could get his hands on (1 red mana, 3 damage). It was a surprisingly difficult deck to beat given its narrow focus. Eviscerate is similar to Lightning Bolt, it's just a really efficient way to turn a resource into damage. If you could build a deck with just card draw, spell power and Eviscerates you'd have a very boring, but very effective deck.
36 Lightning Bolts, 24 Mountains, is actually a popular Legacy deck.  Not top shelf, but almost top tier.  So many alternate forms of Lightning bolt have been made that you can get around the deck construction rule.  It runs Grim Lavamancers, Lava Spike, Rift Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Fire Javelin (3 mana, 4 damage), most of the cards are essentially lightning bolt, in that way.  It tries to kill the enemy with direct damage but has the ability to shoot at one or two creatures that just really need to go, like Rhox War Monk and tribal lords that are accomplishing a bit too much.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 10, 2014, 04:26:24 pm »

It's pretty cool how long Magic has lasted.  When I last played seriously, my deck was the one built around Shivan Dragon and Swords to Plowshares.  That was the mid-90s.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: June 10, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »

I remember having a green Enchantress deck centred around Verduran Enchantress (basically a cheap Gadgetzan Auctioneer) and Yavimayan Enchantress (basically a Questing Adventurer). It was a fun deck.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 10, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »

It's pretty cool how long Magic has lasted.  When I last played seriously, my deck was the one built around Shivan Dragon and Swords to Plowshares.  That was the mid-90s.
Swords to Plowshares is still a very popular card! Shivan Dragon, not so much!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 11, 2014, 02:12:05 am »

@Magic talk -
AFAIK, 40 Lighting Bolts/20 Mountain deck that people came up with early is THE reason why they made the only-4-copies rule.
Burn is popular in any format, not only Legacy. It is always cheap, entry deck that can basically beat any other deck (but lacks a bit in reliability/consistency/versatility). 24 Lands is definitely way too much for a burn deck. 18-20 is more likely. Here is an example list:
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7309&d=241870&f=LE . Eidolon of Great Revel is a new card from Journey to Nyx and surprisingly effective, they do these from time to time. And I don't think I ever saw Rhox War Monk in legacy :)

Sword the Plowshares is still #1 White Point Removal (and removal in general, heck). Shivan Dragon is not played. Verduran Enchantress is still a legacy deck, but not as popular.

Enchantress is a legacy deck. Not a top tier one, but competitive still. It runs Argothian Encahntress and not Verduran one, as it is cheaper, but the idea is the same. http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=1121&d=209754&f=LE
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:50:23 am by Grujah »

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 11, 2014, 04:56:14 am »

My first 7 win arena, yay (coincidentaly it is first time I had seen legendary after mandatory first pick in first arena). Best result before - 4

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 11, 2014, 11:08:36 am »

@Magic talk -
AFAIK, 40 Lighting Bolts/20 Mountain deck that people came up with early is THE reason why they made the only-4-copies rule.
Burn is popular in any format, not only Legacy. It is always cheap, entry deck that can basically beat any other deck (but lacks a bit in reliability/consistency/versatility). 24 Lands is definitely way too much for a burn deck. 18-20 is more likely. Here is an example list:
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7309&d=241870&f=LE . Eidolon of Great Revel is a new card from Journey to Nyx and surprisingly effective, they do these from time to time. And I don't think I ever saw Rhox War Monk in legacy :)

Sword the Plowshares is still #1 White Point Removal (and removal in general, heck). Shivan Dragon is not played. Verduran Enchantress is still a legacy deck, but not as popular.

Enchantress is a legacy deck. Not a top tier one, but competitive still. It runs Argothian Encahntress and not Verduran one, as it is cheaper, but the idea is the same. http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=1121&d=209754&f=LE
Most standard formats don't support burn, in the sense that Legacy burn is set up so that little to no damage can be blocked by creatures.  Standard versions have to resort to blockable damage, which to me makes it a different archetype, sligh, which is no worse, just different.
I am not up to date enough to know whether there is a Modern burn, I'd believe you if there is.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 11, 2014, 05:56:20 pm »

Woot! Just opened Bloodmage Thalnos. Not a legendary that will change my decks, but I think I'll be putting him in a number of decks just because he's pretty solid in general.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 11, 2014, 06:19:31 pm »

Woot! Just opened Bloodmage Thalnos. Not a legendary that will change my decks, but I think I'll be putting him in a number of decks just because he's pretty solid in general.

Congratulations.

I just opened...4 commons and that minion that gets +2 attack this turn for each spell you cast.  Depressing.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 11, 2014, 06:25:45 pm »

Congratulations.

I just opened...4 commons and that minion that gets +2 attack this turn for each spell you cast.  Depressing.

Yeah, I just went through a lot of packs of cards I already had. Even that pack thalnos was the only card I didn't already have 2 of.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 11, 2014, 06:42:04 pm »

@Magic talk -

Most standard formats don't support burn, in the sense that Legacy burn is set up so that little to no damage can be blocked by creatures.  Standard versions have to resort to blockable damage, which to me makes it a different archetype, sligh, which is no worse, just different.
I am not up to date enough to know whether there is a Modern burn, I'd believe you if there is.

There is Modern Burn. There was a quite decebnt burn in new Ravnica-Theros Standard, but it didn't see much play, sadly, so yeah, they don't really like making Burn viable in Standard, and it's a rarity.
Sligh is now a rarely used term, people use Red Deck Wins for such decks.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 11, 2014, 07:38:33 pm »

@Magic talk -

There is Modern Burn. There was a quite decebnt burn in new Ravnica-Theros Standard, but it didn't see much play, sadly, so yeah, they don't really like making Burn viable in Standard, and it's a rarity.
Sligh is now a rarely used term, people use Red Deck Wins for such decks.

Burn's a good deck right now, actually.  Maybe not the best deck in standard, but I think I'd call it a tier-one deck.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 12, 2014, 12:18:14 am »

Since I got Thalnos, I decided to give this Miracle Rogue a try. I don't have the Preparations or Leeroy, but I replaced with the not as good Arcane Golem and put some minions in instead. I also found that if those minions were Preparations, I probably wouldn't have enough things to keep board control in the early game.

I found a couple different peopel online who wrote about their Rogue decks and I sort of mashed some of each together. Some went more spells, some had a couple more minions. For instance one person put Acolyte of Pain in for extra draw which I think isn't bad. Personally I put in an Earthen Ring Farseer because I found that I often was taking quite a beating before getting to play my Gadgetzan Auctioneers. I also have two Conceals while I found some decks only put in 1 conceal. I thought there also could be an arguement for Perdition's Blade, but I didn't end up putting one in. I also don't have Edwin Van Cleef so I put in a Questing Adventurer, which although mostly not as good, you can play it first and if it lives it'll still grow as opposed to Edwin who won't.

Anyone else here have good tips for Rogue decks?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 12, 2014, 02:22:06 am »

Not sure how much I like Questing Adventurer over Edwin, seems like it wouldn't grow fast enough to be a good win condition, and even as a midgame creature I don't feel like it would get big enough. Maybe Sen'jin instead? Just to buy some time, stats are decent. It is a 4 drop over a 3 drop though.

New priest card looks very good, by the way. 3 drop, 3/4, deathrattle give a friendly minion +3 health. It already kills 3/2s and 3/3s without dying, and when it does die you can still get a bonus.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 12, 2014, 03:00:03 am »

Since I got Thalnos, I decided to give this Miracle Rogue a try. I don't have the Preparations or Leeroy, but I replaced with the not as good Arcane Golem and put some minions in instead. I also found that if those minions were Preparations, I probably wouldn't have enough things to keep board control in the early game.

I found a couple different peopel online who wrote about their Rogue decks and I sort of mashed some of each together. Some went more spells, some had a couple more minions. For instance one person put Acolyte of Pain in for extra draw which I think isn't bad. Personally I put in an Earthen Ring Farseer because I found that I often was taking quite a beating before getting to play my Gadgetzan Auctioneers. I also have two Conceals while I found some decks only put in 1 conceal. I thought there also could be an arguement for Perdition's Blade, but I didn't end up putting one in. I also don't have Edwin Van Cleef so I put in a Questing Adventurer, which although mostly not as good, you can play it first and if it lives it'll still grow as opposed to Edwin who won't.

Of course you play Earth Ring Farseer, it's that card and S:7 Agent that get you in position to win the game.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 12, 2014, 09:46:14 am »

Of course you play Earth Ring Farseer, it's that card and S:7 Agent that get you in position to win the game.

From my games so far yes, it seems important to survive the game. But after I put him in my deck, I found some decks online that didn't run him.

Not sure how much I like Questing Adventurer over Edwin, seems like it wouldn't grow fast enough to be a good win condition, and even as a midgame creature I don't feel like it would get big enough. Maybe Sen'jin instead? Just to buy some time, stats are decent. It is a 4 drop over a 3 drop though.

Questing Adventurer got pretty big in the last game I played. What else would I replace Edwin with though? It's closest effect that there is to Edwin. Senjin seem so ok guess, I dunno.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 12, 2014, 10:58:16 am »

Preparations are the best part..  You'd probably do better with Drakes and spellpower rogue until you get them. Headcrack, etc.  Doesn't need Malygos if you make a more proactive variant.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: June 12, 2014, 10:59:31 am »

Mana Addict is a much more popular replacement to Edwin. 

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 12, 2014, 11:36:36 am »

It's kind of hard to do miracle without Preparation. You have to run Sinister Strikes to have enough cheap spells. You can do some sort of semi-miracle where you play tempo early and then get a late Gadgetzan.
Arcane Golem is in no way a substitute for Leeroy in Rogue. The thing that Leeroy does is turn Shadowsteps into 2 mana Fireballs. Arcane Golem just turns them into +1 damage Sinister Strikes, which is not really worth it. You're better off just running spell damage and Headcrack or something.
Questing Adventurer is also not an Edwin replacement. Edwin usually plays as an easy 6/6 to get some board presence, and can sometimes turn into something big. Questing Adventurer requires some setup to be useful at all. If you can't conceal him, it's hard to get him to be big enough to make a difference. If you're playing Questing Adventurer, it has to be as a finisher, not as an Edwin Substitute. You probably need Faceless too, to get a Concealed copy when you attack. But even that is pretty questionable without Preparation. I think it's probably at best the 4th best finisher in miracle, behind Leeroy, Malygos, and Mana Addict. I don't think it's worth it. You're better off just playing a tempo Rogue or spell damage Rogue.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:37:42 am by HiveMindEmulator »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 12, 2014, 12:20:02 pm »

It's kind of hard to do miracle without Preparation. You have to run Sinister Strikes to have enough cheap spells. You can do some sort of semi-miracle where you play tempo early and then get a late Gadgetzan.
Arcane Golem is in no way a substitute for Leeroy in Rogue. The thing that Leeroy does is turn Shadowsteps into 2 mana Fireballs. Arcane Golem just turns them into +1 damage Sinister Strikes, which is not really worth it. You're better off just running spell damage and Headcrack or something.
Questing Adventurer is also not an Edwin replacement. Edwin usually plays as an easy 6/6 to get some board presence, and can sometimes turn into something big. Questing Adventurer requires some setup to be useful at all. If you can't conceal him, it's hard to get him to be big enough to make a difference. If you're playing Questing Adventurer, it has to be as a finisher, not as an Edwin Substitute. You probably need Faceless too, to get a Concealed copy when you attack. But even that is pretty questionable without Preparation. I think it's probably at best the 4th best finisher in miracle, behind Leeroy, Malygos, and Mana Addict. I don't think it's worth it. You're better off just playing a tempo Rogue or spell damage Rogue.

Well I'm low enough ranking now that it's working. But I did make some changes to make it more tempo. I put in Defias Ringleaders and other minions to keep board control early. However Arcane Golem still does a pretty good job as a finisher. I can burst 12 damage with Cold Bloods. I don't save my Shadowsteps for him though. If I need to I use them to keep control of the board.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:23:23 pm by KingZog3 »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 12, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »
+1

New priest card looks very good, by the way. 3 drop, 3/4, deathrattle give a friendly minion +3 health. It already kills 3/2s and 3/3s without dying, and when it does die you can still get a bonus.

That's actually amazing for priest. Kill 3/3 and heal back up into a 3/3. It should be easy enough to play around the deathrattle, but vanilla 3/4 for 3 is good enough.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 12, 2014, 01:15:23 pm »

3/4 for 3 with life gain? I'm getting a really power creepy feel about that.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 119  All

Page created in 1.34 seconds with 22 queries.