Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 620296 times)

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1075 on: June 03, 2014, 06:28:05 am »

I would also be intersted in all you guys beating me horribly and I am also on EU server

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 03, 2014, 12:01:04 pm »

Where is the strategy in this game? Is it the deckbuilding, the playing?

I don't really understand these kinds of games. Dominion is easy, the strategy is just in choosing the right cards and a little bit in playing them.

It's more so in the deck building though there is some element of strategy in implementing the decks based on what type of deck your opponent might be playing.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 03, 2014, 12:06:57 pm »

There's nothing quite as satisfying as playing against someone who got incredibly lucky (Mad Bomber, all 3 shots hit your Harvest Golem, ping to finish it) only to have them follow it up with an incredible misplay that let you crush them. (Ignoring your Scavenging Hyena, and playing out Mirror Image, Murloc Tidehunter.) So you can absolutely crush them with a Buzzard/Hyena/UtH combo. Drawing 5 cards off of UtH just sets all the little buzzers in my brain a tingling.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 03, 2014, 12:11:06 pm »

I love people who play Northshire Clerics turn 1. I'll just smash it with my Axe thank you. Like people who play Buzzards turn 2. Uuuuuh, ok. I'll just kill it.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1079 on: June 03, 2014, 12:26:28 pm »

Adventures in the 0-2 Arena Bracket: Mage turn 1 Coin -> ping to my face

Also, as a Rogue, playing Preparation -> Coin -> "oh crap"

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: June 03, 2014, 12:36:47 pm »

How come I never get anyone coining into their hero power? Not fair.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 03, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »
+1

I love people who play Northshire Clerics turn 1. I'll just smash it with my Axe thank you. Like people who play Buzzards turn 2. Uuuuuh, ok. I'll just kill it.

I'm not sure turn 1 Cleric is the wrong play. It's very good vs aggro for killing 2/1s. Surely you play it turn 1 vs Mage, Hunter, Paladin, which are usually aggro. Warlock and Warrior are tricky, but I think since you fear the aggressive deck more, you may want to make your initial plays to counter that deck type and accept that you've wasted a card in the control matchup.

Of course if you're talking about arena, it's generally a bad play, since there are a lot fewer 2/1s and more 3/2s.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 03, 2014, 02:55:36 pm »

I'm finding I like the Hunter and swarming the board with low-cost minions.

I'm just a beginner, but having fun fighting the board for control. This seems to work best against classes that don't have a lot of control. My biggest problem is lack of a proper end game, so if I'm not in full control by then, it's basically game over for me with no cards.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 03, 2014, 02:58:18 pm »

Where is the strategy in this game? Is it the deckbuilding, the playing?
In constructed, I'd argue that deckbuilding is not exactly part of the game. When you play a constructed game, you're not just competing against your opponent's deckbuilding ability, but the deckbuilding abilities of everybody your opponent learned from. As such, constructed games can't test deckbuilding skill.

In constructed, there are three broad categories of skill: selecting a deck, tweaking the deck, and playing the deck. Doing the first two well requires a good understanding of counters and which decks are currently popular, but you can ignore it and still do well on ladder, though maybe not so well in tournaments.

Within playing a deck, some skill activities are: mulliganing (selecting which cards to keep in your opening hand); tactics to find good trades, compute lethal damage, play cards in the optimal order, etc.; guessing which cards your opponent has in hand and may draw; anticipating which cards you may draw; evaluating the game situation and inferring which turn outcome is more favourable to you (for example, whether to push for face damage, and when to save removal). Many of these exist in Dominion too, but they are much more involved in Hearthstone, which is good because it compensates for the loss of in-game deck-building.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1084 on: June 03, 2014, 03:00:55 pm »
+2

I'm finding I like the Hunter and swarming the board with low-cost minions.

I'm just a beginner, but having fun fighting the board for control. This seems to work best against classes that don't have a lot of control. My biggest problem is lack of a proper end game, so if I'm not in full control by then, it's basically game over for me with no cards.

You sound like you would love Zoolock.  Always trade until you have penultimate lethal, always play out your hand, abuse Soulfire/Doomguard.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 03, 2014, 03:15:08 pm »
+1

I don't know what any of that means.  ;D

I don't even have all the base cards.  :)

Oh, the sudden flashback to learning Dominion.

Raid Leader is currently my favorite card.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:17:56 pm by Davio »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1086 on: June 03, 2014, 03:21:24 pm »

Zoolock is a particular kind of Warlock deck.  It's popular because it plays fast, has cheap creatures that just about everyone has access to, and is reasonably easy to play.  It's not just a pure "aggro" deck that always hits to the face: rather, it's all about constantly maintaining board control through advantageous trades, until you're ready to finish him off.  Every turn you're emptying your hand, ideally, by playing cheap creatures, and you're using your hero power to keep drawing.  This synergizes really well with your cheap minions + desire to maintain board control, as well as Soulfire and Doomguard (look them up).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: June 03, 2014, 03:33:59 pm »

I always just replace whatever costs $4 or more most of the time.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 03, 2014, 04:01:38 pm »
+2

I find it's more of my Innovation skills surfacing when playing Hearthstone as opposed to my Dominion skills. Concepts like board control, figuring out what might be in your opponent's hand based on his actions, and withholding information all remind me of Innovation. Of course, some concepts that apply to Dominion also apply to Hearthstone. These include choosing to play for the early win or the long game, getting draw and cycling up, and understanding opportunity costs. Figuring out the max potential of a player's turn is common to both games.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 03, 2014, 05:52:35 pm »

I realized yesterday in Arena that Coin -> Defias Ringleader can actually work really well, since it's hard to combo the Ringleader early.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 03, 2014, 06:10:39 pm »

I realized yesterday in Arena that Coin -> Defias Ringleader can actually work really well, since it's hard to combo the Ringleader early.

It's pretty common and can trade really well.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1091 on: June 03, 2014, 06:18:13 pm »

That's actually one of the top opening plays you can make, along with Mana Wyrm -> Coin -> Mirror Image and Coin -> Innervate -> anything

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 03, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »

That's actually one of the top opening plays you can make, along with Mana Wyrm -> Coin -> Mirror Image and Coin -> Innervate -> anything

Coin - Defias Ringleader - Shadowstep - Defias Ringleader on T1 for a 2/2 and two 2/1s is pretty fun.  Did it once, but the Warrior immediately Cleaved + Traded.  So that sucked.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 03, 2014, 08:38:50 pm »

Mana Wyrm Coin Young Priestess for life man.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »

Coin - Defias Ringleader - Shadowstep - Defias Ringleader on T1 for a 2/2 and two 2/1s is pretty fun.  Did it once, but the Warrior immediately Cleaved + Traded.  So that sucked.
I'm not sold on this play in general. You just get an extra 2/1, which is not really worth a card most of the time. Now Coin, Edwin, Shadowstep, Edwin is great. Hard to beat a turn 1 8/8.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:47 pm »

I'm not sold on this play in general. You just get an extra 2/1, which is not really worth a card most of the time. Now Coin, Edwin, Shadowstep, Edwin is great. Hard to beat a turn 1 8/8.
Edwin costs 3, so that play is only possible on turn 3 (with coin). A couple games after crafting Edwin, I played vs Zoo as 2nd player and went (on turn 2) Coin-Backstab-Prep-Something-Edwin. Basically impossible for Zoo to kill a 10/10 efficiently at any point, never mind on turn 3.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 04, 2014, 01:44:06 am »

So... crafting a constructed deck... where do I go from here?  I have about 500 dust lying around doing not much, and a half-dozen epics lying around (including 2 BGH, a Faceless, Shadowform, Lay on Hands)... not enough to construct a truly "good" deck yet but perhaps enough to construct an interesting one.  Should I craft an epic, saying a second Faceless or Shadowform?  Or craft some extra rares, a second Defender, a second Azure Drake, a second Shadow Madness?

Is it crazy that I'm leaning toward playing a Shadow Priest?  Is that completely outside the scope of the meta?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:30 am »

Priest is outside of the scope of the meta.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 04, 2014, 02:26:16 am »

your cards lean towards a Druid deck.  BGH is standard there, two isn't out of the question.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 04, 2014, 03:32:43 am »

The only Priest I am seeing is is the control one with Wild Pyro + X + PW: Shield combo, Priestess + 4 damage to everything combo, and similar shenenigans.
Something like this, for example:
http://hearthstone.icy-veins.com/legendary-priest-control-deck

If I'm were to make a druid, I'd go towards Token Druid. I've been playing against it and it is strong, IMO.
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/1765-deck-guide-token-druid. Violet Teacher is the key card.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:34:52 am by Grujah »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.629 seconds with 22 queries.