Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 620289 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1050 on: June 01, 2014, 09:48:27 pm »
+1

My gut reaction is that there would be an increase in variance from the prohibition on picking a third copy of a card.  But on second thoughts, you could avoid picking up a second copy of a card to make that less likely to happen.  And since that changes the Truesilver algorithm from "click truesilver champion" to something more complex and skill intensive it might increase the skill ratio rather than harm it.

And it is a DAMN shame, Obi Wan.  I scream my head off about it constantly to like everyone I meet, but statistical data shows that constructed Magic the Gathering is -far- more luck intensive/skill unintensive than draft/sealed MtG, even though there is widespread perception that things are the other way around.  It's actually the steep learning curve in deckbuilding formats that players mistake for luck (often in close concert with self serving bias... someone remember the fancy term? But anyway, a weak player will copy a netdeck and go to a constructed magic tournament and win 40% of his games.  Then he will try a deckbuilding format and win 20% of his games.  The more comfortable explanation is that it was luck.)

I doubt Blizzard shares this misconception, but the way they set things up, Arena is not set up as a great monetization strategy like constructed is, so they have no motivation to improve Arena.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 01, 2014, 10:49:57 pm »

I'm surprised anyone would think that constructed takes more skill _once you have the deck_. I would assume that building a deck plus playing it is going to take more skill than just playing on its own, even if the deck you're playing is not as sophisticated as a constructed deck. (That said, given the simplicity of arena's draft mechanism, it's arguable how much opportunity for skill there even is there.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 02, 2014, 12:11:43 am »

Right, the overly straightforward pick one of three methodology is part of Blizz not taking it seriously.  It holds it back from it's potential to be a much more satisfying format than constructed.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 02, 2014, 01:17:42 am »

In the end I think the limited vs constructed skill requirement is not entirely true. What it really boils down to is, like blueimp implied, that building a deck and playing it requires more skill than just playing a deck. But as someone who plays a game with almost no netdecking possibilities, I can say that constructed can be just as skill intensive, just because you have to make your own deck. Once you have the deck and just need to make small tweaks here and there to adjust it to the local metagame, there's a different kind of skill involved. But on the other hand, you don't have to construct a whole new deck.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 02, 2014, 01:41:30 am »

In the end I think the limited vs constructed skill requirement is not entirely true. What it really boils down to is, like blueimp implied, that building a deck and playing it requires more skill than just playing a deck. But as someone who plays a game with almost no netdecking possibilities, I can say that constructed can be just as skill intensive, just because you have to make your own deck. Once you have the deck and just need to make small tweaks here and there to adjust it to the local metagame, there's a different kind of skill involved. But on the other hand, you don't have to construct a whole new deck.

You start this post like you disagree with me, but I don't think you do?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 02, 2014, 02:06:57 am »

I think that most people that say that limited requires more skill than constructed fail to take the deckbuilding part of constructed into consideration. In most popular games, most notably MTG (which was the card game being talked about here), there are decks to netdeck, which takes away some of the elements of deckbuilding.

My point is that most people think that constructed is just exectution of a deck that's allready built. And this is what I don't agree with. Entirely.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 02, 2014, 02:35:05 am »

Right, the overly straightforward pick one of three methodology is part of Blizz not taking it seriously.  It holds it back from it's potential to be a much more satisfying format than constructed.

What should it be then?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 02, 2014, 03:16:46 am »

What should it be then?

Lack of sideboarding and being forced to play every card you pick makes arena feel kind of homogenous at times. It makes it much riskier to go for combos, because if you don't get the other part of the combo then your deck suffers for it.

I remember one person (I think it was an MtG pro) who suggested changing it to picking 45 cards, then building 30 cards out of those 45. Even without sideboarding, it's probably a more interesting format.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: June 02, 2014, 07:45:34 am »

How different are these kinds of games from rock-paper-scissors really?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 02, 2014, 10:03:24 am »

My id is EgorK#2917 on EU

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 02, 2014, 11:02:45 am »
+1

You start this post like you disagree with me, but I don't think you do?

You end this post with a question mark, but I don't think you're asking a question?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 02, 2014, 11:34:41 am »

I think that most people that say that limited requires more skill than constructed fail to take the deckbuilding part of constructed into consideration. In most popular games, most notably MTG (which was the card game being talked about here), there are decks to netdeck, which takes away some of the elements of deckbuilding.

My point is that most people think that constructed is just exectution of a deck that's allready built. And this is what I don't agree with. Entirely.
I don't think constructed is just execution of a deck that's already built.  But as you say, at the highest levels it's usually a tuning of a deck that's already built + playing that deck well, where limited is building a deck from scratch + playing that deck well. 

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 02, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »

Setting aside deck building / drafting, do you think there is more skill in playing an arena deck or a constructed deck?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: June 02, 2014, 01:46:23 pm »

Setting aside deck building / drafting, do you think there is more skill in playing an arena deck or a constructed deck?

I wouldn't make a confident assertion either way.  I would guess constructed

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 02, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »

Where is the strategy in this game? Is it the deckbuilding, the playing?

I don't really understand these kinds of games. Dominion is easy, the strategy is just in choosing the right cards and a little bit in playing them.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: June 02, 2014, 02:49:46 pm »

What should it be then?

Lack of sideboarding and being forced to play every card you pick makes arena feel kind of homogenous at times. It makes it much riskier to go for combos, because if you don't get the other part of the combo then your deck suffers for it.

I remember one person (I think it was an MtG pro) who suggested changing it to picking 45 cards, then building 30 cards out of those 45. Even without sideboarding, it's probably a more interesting format.

Id say 45 way too many but Id love to draft like 33 or 35 cards and cut out a handful.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 02, 2014, 06:24:42 pm »
+1

Question for those who have played Magic too: which kinds of cards in Hearthstone haven't been (or couldn't have been) done in Magic? For example, if I didn't know better, I would have thought cards that summon auxiliary minions, like Violet Teacher, would be impractical in a physical game. But of course, Magic has those. Same goes for minions that stack self-buffs, like Scavenging Hyena (e.g. Primordial Hydra), and copying minions, Faceless Manipulator (e.g. Clone).

My current guesses about cards that Magic couldn't do practically are:
  • Cards that do random selection among minions or characters, like Mad Bomber, seem impractical in a physical game. I guess you could represent each minion/character with a card, shuffle that, and select that way.
  • Cards that can chain complex buffs on minions, like Crazed Alchemist, seem annoying to track physically.
  • Any healing ability seems inapplicable to Magic, which doesn't persist damage across turns (right?).

1 - Actually, it has this guy:
Goblin Test Pilot.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Goblin+Test+Pilot

He taps to do 2 damage to random target (player or creature).
You usually count number of available targets, assign a number to each and roll a die.

2 - There actually are a few card that switches Power and Toughness of creatures. It is only that effect similar to that one almost always last till the end of the turn. Like this guy, for example:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=106668&type=card

Game has to use some sort of counters to represent permanent change, and while the most usual counters are +1/+1 and -1/-1, as pops sad, we also had weird things like -1/-2 and so.

3 - as somebody said, Wither (and later Infect) is closes to "healing" as that was a kind of damage that carried across the turns, and could be removed as well. (Creatures with Wither or Infect deal damage in form of -1/-1 counters).
Other form of "healing" is damage pervention. (cards that say "prevent next X damage done to target creature").
Edit: well, I guess, also regeneration :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:50:36 pm by Grujah »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 02, 2014, 06:49:34 pm »

Would anyone be interested in a Hearthstone tournament/league? If there's interest, I'd be willing to set it up.

I'd play but unfortunately I'm on EU server, while most of you are on US ones.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 02, 2014, 08:26:11 pm »

Would anyone be interested in a Hearthstone tournament/league? If there's interest, I'd be willing to set it up.

You can still play against your friends. And I'm sure you change what server you connect to.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 02, 2014, 08:58:44 pm »

anyone wanna play sometime soonish?  I have a pretty basic priest deck that I've been laddering with (mostly all free cards, but a few class-specific commons/rares that I've opened)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 02, 2014, 09:40:22 pm »

You can still play against your friends. And I'm sure you change what server you connect to.

IIRC, if you connect to a different server, you will have a nice blank slate of cards.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 02, 2014, 09:45:57 pm »

anyone wanna play sometime soonish?  I have a pretty basic priest deck that I've been laddering with (mostly all free cards, but a few class-specific commons/rares that I've opened)

I'd be interested. I have a terrible Druid deck and my Rogue isn't great. My Paladin is also in a similar stage to what your Priest deck sounds like. Maybe I can play after my dominion league match.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 02, 2014, 09:59:40 pm »

Did I just encounter a bug?  Can't find it on their forums...

Warrior I'm up against plays Commanding Shout (his minions can't drop below one health), then Frothing Berserker.  Then he hits one of my minions with one of his that would have died, but didn't... and yet the Frothing picked it up as a Berserk?

Never mind, I can't read
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:02:53 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 02, 2014, 10:01:56 pm »

Did I just encounter a bug?  Can't find it on their forums...

Warrior I'm up against plays Commanding Shout (his minions can't drop below one health), then Frothing Berserker.  Then he hits one of my minions with one of his that would have died, but didn't... and yet the Frothing picked it up as a Berserk?

Frothing is whenever a minion takes damage, not when it dies unlike Cult Master, which draws on minion death.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 03, 2014, 02:45:05 am »

I'd be interested in a tournament as well. But I'm also on the EU server.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.