Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 620304 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1025 on: May 31, 2014, 06:14:16 pm »
+1

I just had someone play Leeroy against me while I had a Knife Juggler in play, one of the Whelp summons got the 1 dmg on Leeroy and then I guess he had already clicked Whirlwind and killed his own Leeroy. Oh, and I had 2 amani beserkers in play. Sooo, killed his own leeroy and have me two 5/2's and a Knife Juggler.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 31, 2014, 06:18:00 pm »

At least they weren't Frothing Berserkers...

I've seen the Leeroy killing himself happen on Youtube. It's pretty hillarious.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 31, 2014, 06:19:31 pm »

I've forgotten about whelp knives a couple times. Haven't had them kill off Leeroy yet, but it's only a matter of time if  I continue to goof...

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 31, 2014, 06:51:31 pm »

Does it matter if we're EU or US can we just add whoever?

Nope, completely different servers unfortunately.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 01, 2014, 03:55:57 am »

I have just drafted the nuts. If I don't go at least 9 wins this run, I'm going to feel really bad about my play.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 04:02:06 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 01, 2014, 02:02:06 pm »

Wow, that's a really good deck

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 01, 2014, 02:13:06 pm »

I've forgotten about whelp knives a couple times. Haven't had them kill off Leeroy yet, but it's only a matter of time if  I continue to goof...

It'd be easier to remember how the card behaves if the card wasn't bugged. 

Leeroy's text says that you summon the whelps, so your opponent's Knife Juggler shouldn't trigger.
There's lots of blatantly incorrect card text that Blizzard seems to refuse to correct, it bugs me a bit.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 01, 2014, 02:33:53 pm »

It'd be easier to remember how the card behaves if the card wasn't bugged. 

Leeroy's text says that you summon the whelps, so your opponent's Knife Juggler shouldn't trigger.
There's lots of blatantly incorrect card text that Blizzard seems to refuse to correct, it bugs me a bit.

Knife Juggler actually says it triggers on summon. I don't like the wording "Summon whelps for your opponent". I guess you're supposed to parse it as "pretend the other player summoned these 2", but it still feels weird.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 01, 2014, 04:27:03 pm »

http://arenamastery.com/6i5H

So this draft ended up being a beast of a deck and went 9-3.  Shadow Madness is a ridiculously good card.  Plus both a Mind Control and a MC Tech.  Oh, and 3 Dark Irons.

Worst moment:  While holding SW: Pain and both Shadow Madness, my opponent had a ton of 4/X minions.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 01, 2014, 04:29:26 pm »

That is generally how you want to play against Priest. Unless your minions have 2 or less health.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: June 01, 2014, 04:59:29 pm »
+1

I like to try to pick up lots of 2s and 4s and make a deck focused around Ironfur Squirrel. Ideally you'd like to grab at least one Chimney Guardian as well, and it has good synergy with Barley Vortex (if you can get it out before turn 3). Of course this really only works for Arcane Haberdasher decks.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 01, 2014, 05:04:28 pm »

I like to try to pick up lots of 2s and 4s and make a deck focused around Ironfur Squirrel. Ideally you'd like to grab at least one Chimney Guardian as well, and it has good synergy with Barley Vortex (if you can get it out before turn 3). Of course this really only works for Arcane Haberdasher decks.

This didn't have the effect you sought, given you know too much about either the game or WoW.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 01, 2014, 05:06:42 pm »

Actually. It kind of works kind of nice in Ancient Dragonmaster decks as well. You have to substitute Evergrowth Apprentice for Darkwood Militia. But on the other hand you get Shadow Dash, which helps out immensely if you don't get the combo early.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 01, 2014, 05:08:38 pm »

Haha I've never actually played either of those games. Although I am obviously familiar with the genre.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 01, 2014, 05:09:35 pm »

I will say this game looks pretty cool. I might check it out one of these days.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 01, 2014, 05:11:19 pm »

It is pretty cool. And kind of free as well. If you want to get truly competitive you might want to either grind through the Arena for a while or pay for some packs. Arena makes your knowledge of the game better, and is more worth it money wise. But it takes so much longer to complete one Arena run than to open one and a half pack.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 01, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »

Actually. It kind of works kind of nice in Ancient Dragonmaster decks as well. You have to substitute Evergrowth Apprentice for Darkwood Militia. But on the other hand you get Shadow Dash, which helps out immensely if you don't get the combo early.

Yeah, but then someone plays Mornington Crescent and you lose.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 01, 2014, 05:32:48 pm »
+1

Question for those who have played Magic too: which kinds of cards in Hearthstone haven't been (or couldn't have been) done in Magic? For example, if I didn't know better, I would have thought cards that summon auxiliary minions, like Violet Teacher, would be impractical in a physical game. But of course, Magic has those. Same goes for minions that stack self-buffs, like Scavenging Hyena (e.g. Primordial Hydra), and copying minions, Faceless Manipulator (e.g. Clone).

My current guesses about cards that Magic couldn't do practically are:
  • Cards that do random selection among minions or characters, like Mad Bomber, seem impractical in a physical game. I guess you could represent each minion/character with a card, shuffle that, and select that way.
  • Cards that can chain complex buffs on minions, like Crazed Alchemist, seem annoying to track physically.
  • Any healing ability seems inapplicable to Magic, which doesn't persist damage across turns (right?).

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 01, 2014, 05:51:39 pm »
+1

I think the closest thing that Magic has to healing/damage persist across turns is the wither mechanic, which deals out damage as -1/-1 tokens. I suppose there's no reason you couldn't have a card that did damage as 0/-1 tokens, and subsequently cards that heal such tokens, but it would get pretty confusing, I imagine.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 01, 2014, 06:38:36 pm »
+1

Would anyone be interested in a Hearthstone tournament/league? If there's interest, I'd be willing to set it up.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 01, 2014, 07:41:23 pm »

Would anyone be interested in a Hearthstone tournament/league? If there's interest, I'd be willing to set it up.

I'd be interested, but I don't think everybody has good constructed decks to use. You could try to simulate an arena, as in everyone does an arena draft and then makes the deck in constructed, but that also requires people to have the cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 01, 2014, 07:57:37 pm »
+1

Question for those who have played Magic too: which kinds of cards in Hearthstone haven't been (or couldn't have been) done in Magic? For example, if I didn't know better, I would have thought cards that summon auxiliary minions, like Violet Teacher, would be impractical in a physical game. But of course, Magic has those. Same goes for minions that stack self-buffs, like Scavenging Hyena (e.g. Primordial Hydra), and copying minions, Faceless Manipulator (e.g. Clone).

My current guesses about cards that Magic couldn't do practically are:
  • Cards that do random selection among minions or characters, like Mad Bomber, seem impractical in a physical game. I guess you could represent each minion/character with a card, shuffle that, and select that way.
  • Cards that can chain complex buffs on minions, like Crazed Alchemist, seem annoying to track physically.
  • Any healing ability seems inapplicable to Magic, which doesn't persist damage across turns (right?).
Closest to Mad Bomber is Capricious Efreet (6/4 for six, red, at the start of your turn, choose two enemy targets and a friendly target, destroy one at random).  Players have to use a coin or a die or come up with their own way of making it work.  It's overcosted so that it doesn't actually get used much.

Magic actually DOES have -1/-0 tokens and stuff back in the early history, but they abandoned the idea because it was fiddly.  Their new policy is that each block only has -1/-1 counters or +1/+1 counters, but not both, so that in drafts and sealeds only one kind of counter is needed.  Ultimately toughness instead of HP really is a tradeoff where magic has to cut corners to be a good physical game. 

Sense Demons is a card that is a pain for magic, but works in Hearthstone.  Polymorph and Telemin Performance show how you randomly select a card with a certain quality, but doing that twice on a cheap spell would be a pain.  Polymorph costs four, but you gotta kill your own dude, so it's not super common (in actual play if you resolved Polymorph you were more likely to win than stealthing Auctioneer).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 01, 2014, 07:59:11 pm »
+1

Protip, even I don't have three fireballs, guys :(  Big issue with arena simulation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:07 pm »

Protip, even I don't have three fireballs, guys :(  Big issue with arena simulation.

Well, then you aren't allowed to pick the 3rd :P

No, seriously, I think there was an arena tournament recently, and they used the rule that you aren't allowed to pick more than 2 copies of any card. Turns out one player got 5 Water Elementals in his draft, which would have been hilarious if it was allowed.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 01, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »

Well, then you aren't allowed to pick the 3rd :P

No, seriously, I think there was an arena tournament recently, and they used the rule that you aren't allowed to pick more than 2 copies of any card. Turns out one player got 5 Water Elementals in his draft, which would have been hilarious if it was allowed.

That was sad to hear about, I can't imagine what junk you would be forced to draft playing by these rules and how it would change your strategy, I wish the platform took competitive Arena a bit more seriously. 
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.