Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 619641 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #2450 on: January 24, 2016, 03:32:33 am »
+3

More Hearthstone rules bullshit: if you have Djinni of Zephyrs on your side of the board, and play Entomb on an enemy's minion, your Djinni will also get shuffled into your deck. The Entombed minion turns friendly right before Djinni does its trigger check.

This essentially cost me an arena game, so yeah I'm a bit mad.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: January 24, 2016, 11:20:42 am »

More Hearthstone rules bullshit: if you have Djinni of Zephyrs on your side of the board, and play Entomb on an enemy's minion, your Djinni will also get shuffled into your deck. The Entombed minion turns friendly right before Djinni does its trigger check.

This essentially cost me an arena game, so yeah I'm a bit mad.

Djinni seems to have a lot of rules like this that are not apparent. I've seen a bunch of things like this happen and they all are not intuitive.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: January 24, 2016, 12:59:40 pm »

Timing rules in Hearthstone are not made explicit in game, so quite a few of the interactions are surprising.  Mind Control Tech will trigger a stolen Knife Juggler, for instance.  Djinni is a case where timing matters a lot, so brings to the surface issues that you can usually safely ignore.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: January 24, 2016, 03:39:14 pm »
+1

Timing rules in Hearthstone are not made explicit in game, so quite a few of the interactions are surprising.  Mind Control Tech will trigger a stolen Knife Juggler, for instance.  Djinni is a case where timing matters a lot, so brings to the surface issues that you can usually safely ignore.

For MCTech, battlcries happen before any "on the board" effects. Before secrets, before knife jugglers etc. This is evident from Kezan Mystic with Mirror Entity and Sacred Trial. I mean, it's not evident without a bit of thought, but I think battcries are consistent in these cases

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2454 on: January 24, 2016, 03:55:35 pm »

For MCTech, battlcries happen before any "on the board" effects. Before secrets, before knife jugglers etc. This is evident from Kezan Mystic with Mirror Entity and Sacred Trial. I mean, it's not evident without a bit of thought, but I think battcries are consistent in these cases

Actually that's not exactly how it works. Battlecries happen before the After Play phase (where Secrets resolve) and the After Summon phase (where Knife Juggler resolves), but after the On Play phase, where, for example, Questing Adventurer resolves.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: January 24, 2016, 04:59:25 pm »

Actually that's not exactly how it works. Battlecries happen before the After Play phase (where Secrets resolve) and the After Summon phase (where Knife Juggler resolves), but after the On Play phase, where, for example, Questing Adventurer resolves.

Hearthstone:  Trying to be as complex as MTG, but without taking the time to explicitly describe all the game mechanics.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2456 on: January 24, 2016, 05:28:27 pm »
+1

Hearthstone:  Trying to be as complex as MTG, but without taking the time to explicitly describe all the game mechanics.

It does that automatically by virtue of being a computer game. You can't do anything that's not in the rules, and you can do everything that is. In Magic, the comprehensive rulebook is not included with the packs you buy and you're not expected to know it any better than you're expected to know the advanced rules of Hearthstone; the only difference is that when you don't know the rules of Hearthstone, you can still proceed with the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: January 25, 2016, 12:50:43 am »
+3

Hearthstone is not trying to be as complex as MTG, and that's fine. The program follows the rules exactly, which is also fine. What annoys me is that it's up to the community to find out all the rules edge-cases by reconstructing them from gameplay. It also doesn't help when the unwritten rules can get changed periodically (e.g. for the old Warsong, it used to give Charge before Battlecry, then it was changed and marked as a "bug" for several months.)

In MTG, the comprehensive rules aren't meant to be read, they're what you refer to as a last resort. Hearthstone doesn't need comprehensive rules, but it's very annoying that the closest thing to an advanced rulebook comes from the wiki, and that people have to tweet developers to ask rules questions about newly revealed cards.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: January 28, 2016, 11:42:50 am »

I only just thought of this, but is Shielded Minibot a refernce to star trek? He says "Shields up! Red alert!" what Riker says in Next Generation all the time.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: January 28, 2016, 11:47:00 am »

99.09% I play with the sound off (which is how I do everything except youtube)

In the 00.11% of the time the sound is on (because I previously did youtube) I immediately remember why. I understand there is a whole element of the game I am missing but i have to say that improves the experience.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: January 28, 2016, 01:06:29 pm »

I only just thought of this, but is Shielded Minibot a refernce to star trek? He says "Shields up! Red alert!" what Riker says in Next Generation all the time.

Probably. The game is littered with references to nerd culture. I hadn't thought of this one, but you're probably right.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: January 28, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »

Probably. The game is littered with references to nerd culture. I hadn't thought of this one, but you're probably right.

And I'm pretty sure its flavour text is a reference to Futurama.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: January 28, 2016, 07:10:29 pm »

I looked it up and, and all the sound clips from minibot are star trek references. And the flavour text is indded from futurama.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: January 29, 2016, 05:37:46 am »

I looked it up and, and all the sound clips from minibot are star trek references. And the flavour text is indded from futurama.
I would love it if we discovered that the actual entrance clip is just Riker's voice taken up an octave or so.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: February 02, 2016, 02:08:09 pm »

A rotating format will be added: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19995505
TLDR: In the new Standard format, cards from expansions 2 years pror won't be usable. With the release of the next expansion, Naxx and GvG will be phased out, then BRM, LoE, and TGT will be phased out with the release of the first expansion in 2017.
Cards not available in Standard will only be available by crafting them with dust.
There'll also be a Wild format in which all cards are playable.
Arena will continue to have all cards.

Also, some Classic/Basic cards will be nerfed (Druid combo most likely)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2465 on: February 02, 2016, 02:43:48 pm »

A rotating format will be added: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19995505
TLDR: In the new Standard format, cards from expansions 2 years pror won't be usable. With the release of the next expansion, Naxx and GvG will be phased out, then BRM, LoE, and TGT will be phased out with the release of the first expansion in 2017.
Cards not available in Standard will only be available by crafting them with dust.
There'll also be a Wild format in which all cards are playable.
Arena will continue to have all cards.

Also, some Classic/Basic cards will be nerfed (Druid combo most likely)

I hope this means that a little bit wilder decks might actually be allowed in Wild instead of getting nerfed to death as soon as something is almost viable.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: February 02, 2016, 03:03:49 pm »
+1

This means about 90% of all mechs will not be usable in Standard. So if they want that tag to survive, they will have to introduce a ton of new mechs.

EDIT: Also, does this affect discover cards? Or unstable Portal? Or will they also be limited to the current card pool of the game mode you're in?

EDIT#2: And they're cycling out adventures, which means we won't be able to play adevntures we missed? That seems unwise. Why not just give them for free to everyone once they're out of the cycle? because it seems you need to still purchase the first wing to even play the bosses, which seems silly. Just let everyone enjoy your content once it no longer matters.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:09:06 pm by KingZog3 »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: February 02, 2016, 03:27:36 pm »
+1

Well, suddenly crafting Dr. Boom was a waste of dust...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: February 02, 2016, 03:30:33 pm »

My hope of getting full dust for 4 Dr. Booms died as well :(

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: February 02, 2016, 03:32:43 pm »

EDIT: Also, does this affect discover cards? Or unstable Portal? Or will they also be limited to the current card pool of the game mode you're in?
Limited to current pool.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: February 02, 2016, 03:46:51 pm »

Well, suddenly crafting Dr. Boom was a waste of dust...

You can still get all the same rewards from Wild game mode. So no, not really a huge waste.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: February 02, 2016, 07:47:06 pm »

I'll probably keep playing Wild.  Should be fun.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: February 02, 2016, 08:21:31 pm »

This means about 90% of all mechs will not be usable in Standard. So if they want that tag to survive, they will have to introduce a ton of new mechs.

EDIT#2: And they're cycling out adventures, which means we won't be able to play adevntures we missed? That seems unwise. Why not just give them for free to everyone once they're out of the cycle? because it seems you need to still purchase the first wing to even play the bosses, which seems silly. Just let everyone enjoy your content once it no longer matters.

I imagine with the standard format, it's not necessary for tag-based decks to survive, being replaced by the flavour of the most recent expansions

Concerning Boss battles from phased out adventure expansions, I do hope they come up with a way to make them accessible to newer players even if they come with no cards. I mean, it's cool to try those old bosses with new cards.

Edit: Oh, I don't think they've answered what kinds of packs can be acquired from Arena. Will it pick randomly from the packs currently allowed in standard? Will that include basic packs?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:36:02 pm by markusin »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: February 02, 2016, 09:52:18 pm »

Seems early for this. Strikes me as lazy. I was looking forward to seeing the current game expanded and more or less balanced. Here Blizzard is just throwing in the towel and saying they can't create a balanced card pool of any real size so they will just make a new game once a year and let the full card pool be a cesspool of brokenness (which it will inevitably become since they will no longer concern themselves with it).
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »

Seems early for this. Strikes me as lazy. I was looking forward to seeing the current game expanded and more or less balanced. Here Blizzard is just throwing in the towel and saying they can't create a balanced card pool of any real size so they will just make a new game once a year and let the full card pool be a cesspool of brokenness (which it will inevitably become since they will no longer concern themselves with it).

Hrm, I do hope they don't downplay balance concerns in Wild mode the same way they (arguably) did so for Arena. I think I'd be more interested in playing Wild mode on average just because it doesn't require me to always be up to date with the latest content.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.