Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 619782 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #2425 on: December 08, 2015, 06:23:09 pm »

Hm.  Apparently Mech Mage can still hold its own at least at lower ranks.

Also apparently people still resign for terrible reasons.  T1 Coin-Unstable Portal-Shade of Naxx isn't so amazing as to resign after T1.

It's roughly as good as Innervate->Shade, something that Druid's do all the time. People are weird, but hey a free win is nice.

Druids do it and I think it's often a mistake. Coining other stuff in almost always stronger.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: December 08, 2015, 07:52:16 pm »

Hm.  Apparently Mech Mage can still hold its own at least at lower ranks.

Also apparently people still resign for terrible reasons.  T1 Coin-Unstable Portal-Shade of Naxx isn't so amazing as to resign after T1.

The top decks from before are usually still good now, because even their worst matchups are still okay enough to get some wins. So, they're guaranteed okay results even as the meta shifts over time.

My Secret Mage made just after Naxx is still doing okay at low ranks, despite no Flamewalkers. Mana Wyrm, Mad Scientist, Kirin Tor Mage + free secret is still a huge beating.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: December 16, 2015, 05:19:25 pm »

Warlock opponent: Brann, Arcane Golem, Faceless, copy Molten Giant, pause, "That was a mistake."  Never BM.

I may have lost the moral high ground by playing Force/Keeper for 2 damage lethal.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: December 16, 2015, 05:24:20 pm »

Warlock opponent: Brann, Arcane Golem, Faceless, copy Molten Giant, pause, "That was a mistake."  Never BM.

I may have lost the moral high ground by playing Force/Keeper for 2 damage lethal.

BM?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2429 on: December 16, 2015, 05:40:59 pm »
+1

BM?

Bad manners (EDIT: on second thoughts, I'm actually not sure if that's what it stands for, that's just what I've assumed so far), also known as Still Had All Deez in Magic slang. Basically it means you could end and win the game with the stuff you already have, but you keep playing more stuff in order to win "more".
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:44:34 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: December 16, 2015, 05:54:38 pm »

Wait, I thought it meant Big Money?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: December 16, 2015, 07:20:05 pm »

BM?

Bad manners (EDIT: on second thoughts, I'm actually not sure if that's what it stands for, that's just what I've assumed so far), also known as Still Had All Deez in Magic slang. Basically it means you could end and win the game with the stuff you already have, but you keep playing more stuff in order to win "more".

OMG, I don't know how I didn't realize before that BM = still had all deez. Mindblowing.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: December 16, 2015, 07:30:41 pm »

BM is a bit broader: emoting opens up exciting new BM opportunities that don't involve playing excess cards.  The meta shifts rapidly, but "Happy feast of Winterveil!" is currently pretty hot.  But not as hot as Rag would like.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: December 16, 2015, 07:41:00 pm »
+2

Happy Feast of Winterveil is possibly the best BM I've ever experienced. I love it.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 17, 2015, 10:52:11 am »

Happy Feast of Winterveil is possibly the best BM I've ever experienced. I love it.

I think every game I've played this month has begun and ended with someone saying "Happy Feast of Winterveil!"

edit: I also love it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:03 pm »
+1

Talking about Druid of the Claw versus Ancient of War inconsistency.

It sounds kind of awful that they discarded an old card for being a choose one: with unique choices on it.  Those kinds of choices make the game more skill intensive.  Do they want it to be brain dead?  But now with discover getting a push maybe other people in Ben's design team are encouraging him not to always make the game brain dead.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: December 22, 2015, 06:42:05 pm »

It sounds kind of awful that they discarded an old card for being a choose one: with unique choices on it.  Those kinds of choices make the game more skill intensive.  Do they want it to be brain dead?  But now with discover getting a push maybe other people in Ben's design team are encouraging him not to always make the game brain dead.

That happens in every game. MTG had this aweful cards with huge text that nobody still really knows what they do (Chains of Mephistocles), now for a good reason, they don't do that.

Donald X said that he would rather scrap a Dominion card than make too lengthy one in one of secet histories. That is nothing new.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: December 24, 2015, 11:25:01 pm »

Got my first legendary! - Tinkmaster Overspark. Currently I'm trying to run a lots-of-small-minions deck to make it more likely I'll get something good out of him, but he really doesn't seem that good. Any suggestions?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2438 on: December 24, 2015, 11:52:26 pm »
+1

Got my first legendary! - Tinkmaster Overspark. Currently I'm trying to run a lots-of-small-minions deck to make it more likely I'll get something good out of him, but he really doesn't seem that good. Any suggestions?

Don't put him in a deck unless there's some Tavern Brawl in which he's somehow actually good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: December 25, 2015, 12:04:54 am »
+1

Don't put him in a deck unless there's some Tavern Brawl in which he's somehow actually good.

If I opened him I'd use him. But Im at the point where I just want to play the dumb decks, or the super slow control decks that are hard to play. So maybe my input is not the best.

That said, I think that if you're playing at low rank he might be better than other 3 drops, used as a single target removal.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 27, 2015, 11:23:06 pm »

That happens in every game. MTG had this aweful cards with huge text that nobody still really knows what they do (Chains of Mephistocles), now for a good reason, they don't do that.

Donald X said that he would rather scrap a Dominion card than make too lengthy one in one of secet histories. That is nothing new.

Atarka's Command and its cycle came out last year, and has at least twice as much text as the card Ben Brode mentioned in this video. 

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: December 27, 2015, 11:29:18 pm »
+1

Tinkmaster Overspark can't be incorporated in a tier 1 strategy, but he's not awful.  I'd recommend Warlock zoo, which works well with a small collection size anyway, with a couple Power Overwhelmings.  If he turns something you PO'd into a Squirrel, it's like well, that was gonna die anyway.  The same kind of deck gets excited about about yolo clutch silences in endgames, which you can even set up to be guaranteed if you use Arcane Golem (which also combos with Power Overwhelming.)

If you're trying to use a bunch of small minions, you're probably doing something similar already.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: December 27, 2015, 11:33:28 pm »

Atarka's Command and its cycle came out last year, and has at least twice as much text as the card Ben Brode mentioned in this video.
I don't think long card text is necessary to have interesting cards to play. Consider Abusive Sergeant. Its text is shorter than that of Mysterious Challenger, but in my opinion it's a more fun card to play, as there is significant choice in how you use its effect. In addition to the obvious trading benefits, it can also combo with BGH, for example. I think Hearthstone would be plenty interesting if every card were as fun as Abusive Sergeant.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: January 14, 2016, 12:12:29 am »

I don't think long card text is necessary to have interesting cards to play. Consider Abusive Sergeant. Its text is shorter than that of Mysterious Challenger, but in my opinion it's a more fun card to play, as there is significant choice in how you use its effect. In addition to the obvious trading benefits, it can also combo with BGH, for example. I think Hearthstone would be plenty interesting if every card were as fun as Abusive Sergeant.

It wasn't really about text length, it was about providing a choice between to things that aren't that similar.  According to the explanation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: January 14, 2016, 11:22:38 am »

In general MTG is much more complicated than HS. You will never find cards like Dragonlord Ojutai or Goblin Rabblemaster that have 2-3 unique effects (and/or some vanilla ones) in HS. HS is much faster medium so it has to keep things simple, MTG is slower and can afford more complicated stuff. HS can't afford to have minions with many complex/conditional triggers that you have to check each turn as your turn is very time restricted. It needs to have every card to 1 or 2 simple things, and thats still. Also, why MT is complex it still has to keep complexity of commons down for example (hence NWO), and has stayed from super complicated stuff for years.

And thing with command cycle is that all those effects are already very well known to player and very closely tied with the color pair of the command, so they are very easy to remember and recognize, which is another luxury that MTG has.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: January 14, 2016, 05:13:52 pm »

In general MTG is much more complicated than HS. You will never find cards like Dragonlord Ojutai or Goblin Rabblemaster that have 2-3 unique effects (and/or some vanilla ones) in HS. HS is much faster medium so it has to keep things simple, MTG is slower and can afford more complicated stuff. HS can't afford to have minions with many complex/conditional triggers that you have to check each turn as your turn is very time restricted. It needs to have every card to 1 or 2 simple things, and thats still. Also, why MT is complex it still has to keep complexity of commons down for example (hence NWO), and has stayed from super complicated stuff for years.

And thing with command cycle is that all those effects are already very well known to player and very closely tied with the color pair of the command, so they are very easy to remember and recognize, which is another luxury that MTG has.

Not really, there's not many instants and sorceries that let you put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

And I certainly know that Hearthstone wants to be simple, but they overdo it, and that's probably why I don't play it anymore.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: January 15, 2016, 03:50:17 pm »
+3

tldr none of us have learned hearthstone yet.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: January 15, 2016, 05:44:55 pm »

Not really, there's not many instants and sorceries that let you put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

It is a very green thing, puting lands into play. There is a big one - Explore. Everybody knows about Explore - it's a classic green card. Kiora was in Standard at that time, and she had explore effect as one of the abilities. There is an instant one in BFZ, there was also Courser that did similar stuff, etc.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: January 20, 2016, 12:56:12 am »

It is a very green thing, puting lands into play. There is a big one - Explore. Everybody knows about Explore - it's a classic green card. Kiora was in Standard at that time, and she had explore effect as one of the abilities. There is an instant one in BFZ, there was also Courser that did similar stuff, etc.

All of those mess with your land drops, they don't put a land onto the battlefield from your hand.  Mechanically different.  You don't get any savings on the "memory tax" if you have to remember the specifics on how that green theme is mechanically implemented on Atarka's Command specifically.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: January 20, 2016, 08:14:45 am »

All of those mess with your land drops, they don't put a land onto the battlefield from your hand.  Mechanically different.  You don't get any savings on the "memory tax" if you have to remember the specifics on how that green theme is mechanically implemented on Atarka's Command specifically.

SO NOBODY HAS LEARNED HEARTHSTONE YET.

/thread.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.