Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 619186 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1000 on: May 30, 2014, 12:22:19 am »

Triple Leeroy is incredibly bread-and-butter. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 30, 2014, 12:32:27 am »

Yeah, I see it all the time against Rogues. Still really annoying though.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 30, 2014, 01:35:25 am »

That's the standard Miracle Rogue finish. Generally, the goal of the deck is to draw and live to the point where you can play that combo.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 30, 2014, 02:11:00 am »

I invented it, then everyone copied it

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 30, 2014, 10:39:43 am »

What about the combo-ed Cold Blood? :D

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: May 30, 2014, 10:59:36 am »

It seems like Rocketeer would be able to fill the same niche without worrying about a legendary.  Right?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 30, 2014, 11:12:15 am »

It seems like Rocketeer would be able to fill the same niche without worrying about a legendary.  Right?
It's not mana-efficient at 5 mana for 5 damage, 8 mana for 10 damage (with 1 shadowstep). Compare with Leeroy, which is 4 mana for 6 damage, 6 mana for 12 damage (1 shadowstep), 8 mana for 18 damage. The closest non-legendary I'm aware of is Arcane Golem, which would be 3 mana for 4 damage, 4 mana for 8 damage, 5 mana for 12 damage. That's more mana-efficient than Leeroy, but less card-efficient, and you'd need to make up that extra 6 damage from the full combo somehow.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 30, 2014, 11:14:00 am »
+1

^Actually Rocketeer costs 6, so you can only play it twice in one turn (6+4).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1008 on: May 30, 2014, 11:23:27 am »

What's the difference between "tempo" and "control"?  I hear those words tossed around a lot and am not entirely clear as to what they mean.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 30, 2014, 11:47:25 am »

What's the difference between "tempo" and "control"?  I hear those words tossed around a lot and am not entirely clear as to what they mean.

Control is maintaining control of the board. Tempo is not using too many cards too fast. I'm sure you've done this, where you use up tons of cards early and are stuck with not many cards for a long time.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 30, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »
+3

Tempo is about having the initiative, which allows you to dictate the attacks. Usually this relates to being able to spend all your mana, and produce as much board presence as possible for that amount of mana. In particular, cantrips are not good for tempo, since they are small for the amount of mana spent. Tempo decks tend to run things like Argent Squire so they can make effective use of early turns to start to seize control of the board. I disagree with KingZog's definition of tempo. I don't think it has anything to do with card efficiency. A tempo Rogue, for instance just runs Sprint to get back whatever card advantage is lost by playing too many cards early. Cards like Backstab and Soulfire are great tempo cards because they can remove minions for zero mana even though they cause you to spend multiple cards on your turn.

Control can mean 2 different things. "Board control" is nearly the same as "tempo", but "control decks" are completeley different. In this context, control is about limiting your opponent's ability to do what he wants. Usually this relates to playing defensively. Control decks tend to be concerned with removal and card advantage and win in the late game.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 30, 2014, 01:20:32 pm »

It's not mana-efficient at 5 mana for 5 damage, 8 mana for 10 damage (with 1 shadowstep). Compare with Leeroy, which is 4 mana for 6 damage, 6 mana for 12 damage (1 shadowstep), 8 mana for 18 damage. The closest non-legendary I'm aware of is Arcane Golem, which would be 3 mana for 4 damage, 4 mana for 8 damage, 5 mana for 12 damage. That's more mana-efficient than Leeroy, but less card-efficient, and you'd need to make up that extra 6 damage from the full combo somehow.

Ah, somehow I missed that Leroy was only 4.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 30, 2014, 05:44:46 pm »

^Actually Rocketeer costs 6, so you can only play it twice in one turn (6+4).
Thanks, wow, I forgot how terrible Rocketeer is. :P

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 30, 2014, 11:24:49 pm »

I finally tried out Hearthstone today. It's fun, to say the least. I've already unlocked the 9 classes.

Pretty straightforward mechanics. It reminds me a lot of Yu-gi-oh, but has key differences. I like the increasing mama pool concept, which adds momentum to the game as it goes on. The biggest difference for me is that I'll be able to find Hearthstone opponents but cannot do so for Yu-gi-oh and whatever other LCGs are out there.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 30, 2014, 11:28:50 pm »

I finally tried out Hearthstone today. It's fun, to say the least. I've already unlocked the 9 classes.

Pretty straightforward mechanics. It reminds me a lot of Yu-gi-oh, but has key differences. I like the increasing mama pool concept, which adds momentum to the game as it goes on. The biggest difference for me is that I'll be able to find Hearthstone opponents but cannot do so for Yu-gi-oh and whatever other LCGs are out there.

Add me KingZog3#1700

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 31, 2014, 07:58:47 am »

Add me KingZog3#1700
After spending so much time on Goko, I was starting to forget that the friend system existed in other places. I'm still super new to this game, but I'll add you nonetheless.

I have a simple Hunter's deck right now. It mostly involves cool interactions between the beast minions and a few spells.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 31, 2014, 08:48:22 am »

Add me KingZog3#1700
After spending so much time on Goko, I was starting to forget that the friend system existed in other places. I'm still super new to this game, but I'll add you nonetheless.

I have a simple Hunter's deck right now. It mostly involves cool interactions between the beast minions and a few spells.

I'm not that good either. I still have have some pretty basic decks that could use to play against you. And I also started with Hunter decks. The spells and buffs are pretty fun.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 31, 2014, 09:29:25 am »

Add me KingZog3#1700

I'm not that good either. I still have have some pretty basic decks that could use to play against you. And I also started with Hunter decks. The spells and buffs are pretty fun.
I should mention, my username on Hearthstone is Archvile. It's a name from way back. So far, only Dominion and Innovation related stuff has me using the username markusin.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 31, 2014, 10:21:47 am »
+2

I started with a Mage Deck, but pretty quickly switched to Priest.  I've finally cobbled together a Hunter-like deck to finish up some quests, and it was not unfun.  I'm trying to decide if I'll change classes for the next month or not.

I think this is the list of the people who play, and their IDs.

Twistedarcher - Bkirbit #1439
Popsofctown - KirbyHero #1343
Grujah - Grujah #2516
ycz6 - ycz#1361
KingZog3 - KingZog3 #1700
Drab Emordnilap - Drab #1455
Shraeye - Shraeye #1428
Theory - Theory#1157
Kirian - Kirian #1720
HiveMindEmulator - Mikohoy#1464
Ashersky - Ashersky #1470
Titandrake #1456
Nkirbit - Nick #11795

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 31, 2014, 11:02:36 am »
+1

Oh, that number after the pound sign means something.

My ID: Archvile#1802

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 31, 2014, 04:28:42 pm »

Does it matter if we're EU or US can we just add whoever?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 31, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »

Just stumbled into this (always just ignored this thread), but this is pretty much the same as CookieClicker, right?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 31, 2014, 04:50:03 pm »

Just stumbled into this (always just ignored this thread), but this is pretty much the same as CookieClicker, right?

Hearthstone? No, its a card game.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 31, 2014, 05:07:39 pm »

I know, I kid.

But I've been watching a stream now and have been too shocked to turn it off.
This stream: http://www.twitch.tv/legendarylea

Some random American pop-culture girl playing this card game, I just don't get the how or the why....
And everyone in the chat hoping for boobs of course.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 31, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »

Watched five minutes. Can't stand her. She had the win, but didn't go for it. Because she wanted to be bad mannered. And she actually said this.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 119  All

Page created in 2.049 seconds with 21 queries.