Miscellaneous > Hearthstone

Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?

(1/591) > >>

Obi Wan Bonogi:
A friend of mine told me that the closed beta is going very well.  Browsing around Twitch.tv I see it has big viewership, Kripparian grabbing 10k+ viewers while playing the game. 

Has anyone explored the rules and mechanics of this game yet?  I will probably take the time to learn the basics some time later this week out of curiosity, even though I've heard the beta is difficult to get in.

Kirian:
I've not really been interested in joining the beta... partly because I was in the Kickstarter for one of its direct competitors (Hex).  Everything I've heard about the two suggests that HS is more casual, but therefore doesn't have the complexity of mechanics.

HiveMindEmulator:
I'm playing the beta. I was never a serious TCG player, so I can't tell you if it's too much for noobs or not. Seems interesting enough to me. It's not dumbed down to the point of Yugi-oh or something.

The problem is only the rate at which you get new cards I think. Booster packs, which contain only 5 cards, cost 100 in game gold, and you get gold at a rate of 5 per 5 per games + 40 per daily "quest", which is something like "win 3 games" or "kill 40 minions" or "do 100 damage to heroes" or something like that. 5-card packs seems small, but I guess it's okay since there's no mana cards. Mana is just accumulated at a rate of 1 per turn for the first 10 turns, then stays at 10 forever (unless you use some card abilities to change that), so the cards are all actual cards that do stuff.

Oh, you can also spend 150 gold entering the "arena" where you build and play a deck from random cards, and win "prizes" including possibly packs, gold, and "dust" which is supposedly used for crafting, but I haven't figured that out yet. I don't know the payout scale for the arena, but it's probably better than 1 pack per 100 gold if you're reasonably aware of what you're doing. So far I've only tried once, went 4-3, gold 1 pack  and maybe 40 gold and 100 dust.

popsofctown:
It's a business, not a charity.  You're supposed to want to shell out for more cards.

I got a beta key today, installing right now actually.  Let's say, I know a guy.  Toying with the idea of setting up a stream this weekend, so maybe you could watch a Dominion-er playing it. 

While I am fortunate to have gotten a key, I definitely don't like the way keys get distributed.  They don't really give them out at random to people who register for the HS beta on battle.net, or even give them to their most loyal customers.  And I don't know how they get it, but streamers apparently have these extra keys they can offer for lottery giveaways, like, it's almost as if just to *#@$ with people hoping to get one.

HiveMindEmulator:
After playing it a lot (at the expensive of Dominion), I'm actually pretty happy with how Hearthstone is, including the flow of gold. They have set up an interesting dynamic between gold, dust, packs, play mode, and arena. You play play mode to complete quests and get gold. You spend the gold to play arena, which gets you packs, dust, and more gold. You use the packs and dust to improve the decks you use to play in play mode so you can still have fun while trying to earn more gold for arenas. It's just the initial ramp that's a little tough, since you have no cards to make enough fun decks for play mode and no gold to play arena. But if you either seed yourself $10-$20 or grind a few quests with decks made of mostly basic cards, you can easily get to the point where you're having fun all the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version