Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko rating system is very frustrating  (Read 3490 times)

CopperrCopper

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Goko rating system is very frustrating
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:40 pm »

I just lost back to back games against someone much lower than me who got lucky.  I mean he bought THIEF in one game for crying out loud.  Long story short, how should that cause me to drop 300 points and 80 ranks?  Was isotropic that way too I just never realized it?  How many times would I have to beat this guy to get all those points back?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Goko rating system is very frustrating
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:54 am »

Thief isn't always bad!

It's hard to see how much fluctuation there was with iso because it only gave updates at the end of each day whereas Goko gives it after each match.  Also, the big numbers used by Goko can make losses feel bigger than they really are.  Losing 300 points from 5000 is just a 6% drop.  That's like dropping from level 17 to 16.

Anyway, if you want something more isotropish, check this out.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:32 am »
+4

Luck is overrated. Is there luck in Dominion? Yes. Is Stef usually #1 on any leaderboard, despite said luck? Yes. So I say, unless you're Stef, focus on improving your skills before worrying about luck.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:44:29 am »

All that said, there is WAY more fluctuation on goko.

On my personal results I fluctuate from rank 100 to 10 on any given day.
On iso I would fluctuate from level 30-10.

And that change from day to day would be maybe 1/10th of that range vs I can swing the entire distance on goko on a good/ bad day.

Ed

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:36:59 am »

And that change from day to day would be maybe 1/10th of that range vs I can swing the entire distance on goko on a good/ bad day.

Ed

I'm not on Goko, so what does the rank actually mean?  Is it the position on the leaderboard?  100 to 10 does not sound like THAT big a swing.  Level 30 to 10 on the iso leaderboard is a rank swing in the order of thousands.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:18:43 am »

Ed

I'm not on Goko, so what does the rank actually mean?  Is it the position on the leaderboard?  100 to 10 does not sound like THAT big a swing.  Level 30 to 10 on the iso leaderboard is a rank swing in the order of thousands.

rank = position on leaderboard.

Anecdotally, I was around 6.2k after a nice winning streak, then got on a very bad losing streak and decided to take a break from Dominion for a day. On the leaderboard I'm now 5.4k. I dropped from top 50 to around top 200.

In comparison, on the Isotropish leaderboard I dropped from level 39 to level 36, which is a drop of around 30 places.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:06:34 am »

It's swingy, but it stops being frustrating as soon as you get used to the swinginess. If you're over 5500, then finding a game should be as easy as it's ever going to get, and that's the only thing where your Goko rating matters.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:49:18 am »
+1

I just lost back to back games against someone much lower than me who got lucky.  I mean he bought THIEF in one game for crying out loud.  Long story short, how should that cause me to drop 300 points and 80 ranks?  Was isotropic that way too I just never realized it?  How many times would I have to beat this guy to get all those points back?

Yes, Isotropic was also this way. It was substantially masked by only updating your rating at end of day.

Sometimes you get unlucky, but in general, play better and you'll win more. When you lose, figure out how you could have won instead of whining about how you didn't. Otherwise you'll just get bitter instead of better.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:06 pm »
+2

Yes, Isotropic was also this way. It was substantially masked by only updating your rating at end of day.

Sometimes you get unlucky, but in general, play better and you'll win more. When you lose, figure out how you could have won instead of whining about how you didn't. Otherwise you'll just get bitter instead of better.

The Isotropic ranking was much less sensitive to individual game outcomes, it's not just the once a day adjustment. You can see this pretty easily now that we have the isotropish leaderboard and the Goko one. Your ranking tanks much quicker during a bad streak on the Goko board.

edit: You're definitely right that the immediate ranking update also makes it feel swingier.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:06:55 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

bearskinrug

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 05:17:59 pm »

Out of curiosity, roughly what goko ratings correspond with what isotropic ratings?  I hovered around level 20 at the end of isotropic, and I fluctuate b/w about 5500 and 6000 on goko -- just curious whether those are roughly equivalent or whether I've improved (on somewhat arbitrary measurements) since the goko switch.....

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 05:20:20 pm »
+3

Check out this: http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/leaderboard/?full=False&sortkey=level
It uses the same algorithm as isotropic did (pretty much) and is based on all your 2p-pro-games.
It puts at level 31.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 05:41:00 pm »
+5

Thief isn't always bad!

It's hard to see how much fluctuation there was with iso because it only gave updates at the end of each day whereas Goko gives it after each match.  Also, the big numbers used by Goko can make losses feel bigger than they really are.  Losing 300 points from 5000 is just a 6% drop.  That's like dropping from level 17 to 16.

Actually, this is a false comparison - you can't take a percentage of these ratings, as they're on an interval scale. It would be like saying a temperature drop from 2 degrees to one degree is a 50% drop...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 06:07:53 pm »

Thief isn't always bad!

Actually, this is a false comparison - you can't take a percentage of these ratings, as they're on an interval scale. It would be like saying a temperature drop from 2 degrees to one degree is a 50% drop...

OK, my bad!  ;D

bearskinrug

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:28:06 pm »

Check out this: http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/leaderboard/?full=False&sortkey=level
It uses the same algorithm as isotropic did (pretty much) and is based on all your 2p-pro-games.
It puts at level 31.

Thank you - very helpful!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.