Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: The Mathematics of Venture Chaining AND The Sociology of Internet Forums  (Read 28681 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: The Mathematics of Venture Chaining AND The Sociology of Internet Forums
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »

why don't people think about the things in OP that he doesn't know first?

Probably because it's impossible to know what someone else does or does not know.

You can't know that!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: The Mathematics of Venture Chaining
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2013, 05:15:26 pm »
+7

Conciseness and a modicum of warmth and respect towards others are not mutually exclusive.

i agree. the scumbag meme was probably unnecessary in this thread.

Yeah, it was quite the scumbag move!

Someone metascumbag meme the scumbag meme for many upvotes.

No.

EDIT: Someone puts in the "How abut no"-bear for many upvotes  :)

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2013, 05:34:59 pm »

My conclusion (that Venture is relatively worthless in Province games) mostly agrees with GeoLib's simulation.

We can simulate labs, markets, and cartographers as well if you like and they will look even more worthless. Those are decent cards and ventures are generally better in treasure games.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2013, 06:07:50 pm »
+2

I think the conclusion to draw from the simulation is more along the lines of "venture isn't better than gold in province games without a way to trash copper." Which... isn't that surprising really.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2013, 01:52:27 am »

Probably because it's impossible to know what someone else does or does not know.
What I meant to say was "Why don't people first think about the things in the OP that himself doesn't know about?"

Yes one may not know whether others know the things you are going to talk about, but one can certainly at least try to notice something that himself does not know about, especially if it is written in the open post. And the dismissiveness really just comes from this "refusal to read and think about something yourself do not really know."

That being said, I quite like this sentiment. A really serious issue I encounter when I write papers.

@dondon: I am sorry if I misread or misunderstand, but I somehow saw you said somewhere that you usually get one gold then ventures. That's where my comment is from.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2013, 07:57:28 am »
+2

What I meant to say was "Why don't people first think about the things in the OP that himself doesn't know about?"

Yes one may not know whether others know the things you are going to talk about, but one can certainly at least try to notice something that himself does not know about, especially if it is written in the open post. And the dismissiveness really just comes from this "refusal to read and think about something yourself do not really know."

That being said, I quite like this sentiment. A really serious issue I encounter when I write papers.

@dondon: I am sorry if I misread or misunderstand, but I somehow saw you said somewhere that you usually get one gold then ventures. That's where my comment is from.
I do quite understand your sentiment and generally agree - BUT, I, for instance, hadn't actually thought of Venture in quite the way dondon posted. (Indeed, what I would have described as the straightforward thing that venture does is give $1 and draw a treasure; adding $1 to the value of a treasure is perhaps a subtle difference, but I think it's quite an interesting one). Or when someone first said it was a peddler variant - this is just as much 'printed on the card', but I really hadn't thought of it that way at all until someone said it. So the larger point is that what seems obvious to one person doesn't necessarily seem obvious to another. And generally, I think it is better to give more things, even if they seem obvious, than less, if we have to risk erring on one side or the other. Of course, this is merely my opinion.
Anyhow, there's also nothing wrong with suggesting that someone is over-thinking a problem, either.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2013, 12:42:59 pm »
+6

I'm not sure it's even accurate-enough-to-be-useful to think of Venture as upgrading a treasure by $1. An additional benefit of Venture is to increase the chance of drawing a treasure in hand. For example, if you have 10 Ventures and 1 Platinum, that's way different than having a single treasure worth $15, because with the former deck you're likely to play all your treasure every turn even if you greened a fair bit, and with the latter deck you really aren't.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 1.756 seconds with 20 queries.