Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Premature Clean-up of action duration cards  (Read 4433 times)

Stephen Grant

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Premature Clean-up of action duration cards
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:12 am »

Hi Y'all,

Playing with some friends last night, there was controversy as to whether or not a person ought to be able to reclaim and use the ability of an action-duration card from their discard pile after having cleaned it up prematurely.  The general consensus was that prematurely cleaning-up a duration card is not allowed, and that it could be rescued from the discard pile so long as the pile had not been shuffled.  I thought that the duration ability should be lost.

Thoughts?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Premature Clean-up of action duration cards
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:26:10 am »
+3

Hi Y'all,

Playing with some friends last night, there was controversy as to whether or not a person ought to be able to reclaim and use the ability of an action-duration card from their discard pile after having cleaned it up prematurely.  The general consensus was that prematurely cleaning-up a duration card is not allowed, and that it could be rescued from the discard pile so long as the pile had not been shuffled.  I thought that the duration ability should be lost.

Thoughts?

Since it's not legal to clean up a Duration card before it's done what it's going to do, I guess the only thing to do in that situation is dig it out of your discard pile and put it back in your play area.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:47:36 am »

Technically, you're breaking the rules by discarding it prematurely, so you should undo it. Although, it's rather infeasible to undo it if you've already drawn cards from your new deck.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:17:11 pm »
+2

Depends on where the game is being played,
Serious tournament; game loss for rule breaking.
To:
Friendly home game; let them take it back.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:19:06 pm »

Really? A game loss for non-intentional, reversible error?

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:01:11 am »
+4

Normally we just play if you're stupid enough to discard your Caravan / FV / whatever, you don't deserve the next turn bonus.  Doesn't take too long for the player to stop doing it!
A man on a mission.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:54:30 am »

Normally we just play if you're stupid enough to discard your Caravan / FV / whatever, you don't deserve the next turn bonus.  Doesn't take too long for the player to stop doing it!

Indeed.  This really is all the penalty needed even in a tournament.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:27:52 am »

Any edge cases for when it would be beneficial to discard the duration prematurely on purpose?  Maybe some trick with shuffle control.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:41:07 am »
+3

Any edge cases for when it would be beneficial to discard the duration prematurely on purpose?  Maybe some trick with shuffle control.

One of several Lighthouses to spread them out.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 01:41:50 am »
+4

Absolutely. I'm trying to build a wharf engine and needed to play all 6 of my wharves this turn to draw my deck - however, it is of course better to have them split 3-3, so I would prefer to only have 3 of them stay out and re-play the others the following turn. Or similar with caravan.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 05:49:23 am »
+2

Oops! I played an Outpost on my Outpost turn!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 08:33:14 am »

Rule-wise, a duration effect is not dependant on whether the card has stayed out in play. Having it stay out is just for player comfort. So while premature clean-up breaks the rules, it won't actually cost you the duration effect.

If you get the effect, you should also have the card stay in play. Why? Because of something we here call "missing the reshuffle". If you shuffle your discard pile before discarding a duration card, it will not be in your next deck. If you place the discard before, it will. Therefore, sometimes a player might get an advantage of breaking the rules if you don't make him undo his mistake.

My advice: Allow and demand fishing it out. If you want to avoid players using that as a chance to look through their discard intentionally, make another player (chosen by the premature up-cleaner) fish it out. Losing the duration ability might work as a house-rule punishment for the discard, but as pointed out, there might be occasions where even this can be abused.

Allowing to get the card is not ideal, but probably the best you can do.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:34:20 am by Asper »

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 06:23:27 pm »
+2

Since discarding durations before their effects end is against the rules any advice in this thread is necessarily about process and fair-play, not really rules. The best way to deal with accidentally cleaning up durations is to not accidentally clean them up. Some people like to play them separately from their other action cards so that they're easier to keep track of. I've also seen "tapping" durations to signify that they will be cleaned up at the end of this turn. Whatever helps you is what you should do.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 07:36:25 pm »

My advice: Allow and demand fishing it out. If you want to avoid players using that as a chance to look through their discard intentionally, make another player (chosen by the premature up-cleaner) fish it out.
I don't think this is a good idea, since you know what's in your own discard pile, but others don't, so you're not really gaining any information by looking through your discard pile, but you are when you look through another player's discard pile.

Also, it should be fine to retrieve a forgotten Duration from your deck, too, as long as you remember to do so before your turn (or revealing any Reactions). You just need to re-reshuffle afterwards and make sure you are shuffling in the cards in your hand that are supposed to be shuffled in.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »

My advice: Allow and demand fishing it out. If you want to avoid players using that as a chance to look through their discard intentionally, make another player (chosen by the premature up-cleaner) fish it out.
I don't think this is a good idea, since you know what's in your own discard pile, but others don't, so you're not really gaining any information by looking through your discard pile, but you are when you look through another player's discard pile.

It was an idea to exchange what would be an additional advantage for a punishment, but i admit it wasn't thought through. Usually a player'll only dig out his last turn's cards, so the benefit is about zero, anyhow.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 01:42:40 pm »
+2

If an event occurs in error and in violation of the rules, and subsequent events can be easily reconstructed to correct this, always correct it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.799 seconds with 21 queries.