Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mine variants  (Read 2344 times)

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Mine variants
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:12:23 am »

no idea how to cost these (so probably overpowered) but its the concept i'm going for. not playtested. in games using Copper Mine, include Silver and Gold Mines, putting them beside the Copper Mine Supply pile.

COPPER MINE, $2, Treasure

While you have this set aside, you may gain 1 Copper putting it on top of your deck at the start of Clean-up this turn.
~~~~~~~~~~
When you gain this, set it aside. Put it in your deck at the end of the game.

SILVER MINE, $5, Treasure

While you have this set aside, you may gain 1 Silver putting it on top of your deck at the start of Clean-up this turn.
~~~~~~~~~~
You can't gain this unless you have a Copper Mine set aside. When you gain this, set it aside and trash your Copper Mine. Put it in your deck at the end of the game.

GOLD MINE, $8, Treasure

While you have this set aside, you may gain 1 Gold putting it on top of your deck at the start of Clean-up this turn.
~~~~~~~~~~
You can't gain this unless you have a Silver Mine set aside. When you gain this, set it aside and trash your Silver Mine. Put it in your deck at the end of the game.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Mine variants
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:54:38 am »

You need to be careful with can't gain effects. I think this is fine, but I might be missing some interaction, but the basic issue is you get conflicts between things telling you that you must do something and something else saying you can't. Probably the strangest interaction I can think of is buying a Gold Mine, gaining nothing, then triggering a pair of Hagglers to gain two Golds, or the like.

Otherwise, it's an interesting concept. It seems quite powerful in BM, less effective in engines, unless you think you can manage when you flood your deck with whatever treasure it is.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:17:01 pm »
+1

1. Buy a bunch of copper mines
2. Buy Gardens
3. Profit
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:22:55 pm »

What if duchies are out, and there are no $5's other than Silver Mine.  If you play remake on a $4, what happens?
A man on a mission.

Bron

• Steward
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:45:42 pm »

how about: ... when you gain this and you don't have a copper mine set aside, return it back to the suply; otherwise set it aside ...

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:46:10 pm »
+1

I like the concept but I hate that these cards would take up 3 Kingdom slots. I'd make it into 1 card that costs 5 and powers up: 1 set-aside, you may gain Copper; 2: Silver; 4: Gold.

What if duchies are out, and there are no $5's other than Silver Mine.  If you play remake on a $4, what happens?

The same thing as what happens when you remake a Copper and there's no Poor House on the board: nothing.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:48:04 pm by SheCantSayNo »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:49:48 pm »

I like the concept but I hate that these cards would take up 3 Kingdom slots. I'd make it into 1 card that costs 5 and powers up: 1 set-aside, you may gain Copper; 2: Silver; 4: Gold.

You could have one "Money Mine" card that makes three supply piles go out.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 03:49:10 pm »

COPPER MINE, $2, Treasure

While you have this set aside, you may gain 1 Copper putting it on top of your deck at the start of Clean-up this turn.
~~~~~~~~~~
When you gain this, set it aside. Put it in your deck at the end of the game.

What does "this turn" mean?  Is it the turn in which the mine was gained and set aside, or does it mean every turn that you have the card set aside?

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:58:56 pm »

every turn the card is set aside. it remains set aside until the end of the game or trashed and replaced by a better Mine.
i'm thinking of changing it a bit. as pointed out, the Gardens strategy is an obvious problem.

the cards don't take up 3 Kingdom card slots. the Silver and Gold Mine are included in addition to the 10 cards.

@Bron
is your suggestion to upgrade whatever is already set aside? if so, i kinda like it
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:01:23 pm by sylas »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »

Looks way to strong to me. Once you have 2 Silver Mines, you're basically sure to buy a third and fourth in the next 2 turns then Province every turn after that. You should at least have to play it to set it aside. As is, you're just buying a potentially very powerful effect that starts working right away and works forever.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.565 seconds with 22 queries.