Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Theoretic Post-Mortems: Or, Why the Heck Did We Think This Was a Good Idea?  (Read 6449 times)

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile

I think if mafia had had N0 chat, I would have advised my house to have total radio silence N0.  I'm not sure, though.

I wonder if scum at all played differently due to stuff they learned in the house chat.  Can any of them speak to that?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'd like for N0 chat. The Vote Fixer is also nearly useless, I think, so I'd rather have that swapped out.

I also feel like the House Votes are almost useless. I mean, I know we used them this game. But that was only to speed up the endgame.

(And I didn't ask if we can talk about HP to sound all defensive for talking about Innovation. I just figured people would want to talk about it since it just ended)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile

I think, as a PR, Vote Fixer is pretty weak. But, having named VTs is pretty great, as well. I agreed with the plan that Vote Fixer should have claimed D1, if Galz hadn't claimed.

It's always a tough decision for scum to shoot for a IC with no night power / trying to hunt for cops. The addition of the tracker/watcher meant that if Vote Fixer had claimed, there's one of two options. Either scum counterclaims (they wouldn't), and it's a 1-for-1 trade, which is great for town for a PR without much utility. Or there's an IC, which town is afraid to kill while the tracker/watcher is alive.

Even though the role itself is weak, the fact that it's a named townie is huge, especially with the presence of a watcher. So I'm not sure that the role actually needs to be improved. It has a ton of utility, just not in the same a cop has utility. Having ICs left alive is really, really strong.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

I think, as a PR, Vote Fixer is pretty weak. But, having named VTs is pretty great, as well. I agreed with the plan that Vote Fixer should have claimed D1, if Galz hadn't claimed.

It's always a tough decision for scum to shoot for a IC with no night power / trying to hunt for cops. The addition of the tracker/watcher meant that if Vote Fixer had claimed, there's one of two options. Either scum counterclaims (they wouldn't), and it's a 1-for-1 trade, which is great for town for a PR without much utility. Or there's an IC, which town is afraid to kill while the tracker/watcher is alive.

Even though the role itself is weak, the fact that it's a named townie is huge, especially with the presence of a watcher. So I'm not sure that the role actually needs to be improved. It has a ton of utility, just not in the same a cop has utility. Having ICs left alive is really, really strong.

But, well, just have a Tree Stump.  Or an actual IC.

Having a Town "PR" that isn't worth counterclaiming is exactly what the IC is, only mod-confirmed.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile

Having a Town "PR" that isn't worth counterclaiming is exactly what the IC is, only mod-confirmed.
Exactly. I'd rather it be a straight up IC instead of a IC that can be counterclaimed, and is argued about whether it should show itself or not (which it should, I agree), and has a very minor bonus. A bit more 'streamlined' that way.

The Watcher/Tracker thing was interesting. But what if it was changed to Watcher OR Tracker. So take out the fake result element, and make it so each night it's one of the two with a 50% of it being one or the other.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile

I suppose that's true.

Town already has two really strong PRs though. That makes up for the fact that there's one less towny, but the ability for the role to be counterclaimed helps scum, which probably helps balance the game.

I think the house votes worked best as Nkirbit pointed them out. They're there as insurance for the watcher/tracker results. Lynch one, house vote the other, you're guaranteed to catch scum.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile

Eh yeah.

There could just not be a Doctor or a Roleblocker.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile

I wonder if scum at all played differently due to stuff they learned in the house chat.  Can any of them speak to that?

I think from memory you gave me an idea which I suggested but we didn't end up doing.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile

Eh yeah.

There could just not be a Doctor or a Roleblocker.
Why did I write 'or a Roleblocker'.

a Doctor and not a Roleblocker.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile

The reason for adding the fixer power was in case the Houses became controlled by scum.  It wasn't needed in this game, but was there for balance should that happen.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile

Eh yeah.
But since there is almost no reason to not claim what house you're in at the beginning of the game, and since house votes are public, you'll be able to see which houses, and their members, aren't goin with what the Town wants.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile

I wish my "we'll houseclaim D2" plan had gone off.  It would've let us cast a little doubt on the Gryffindors.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile

Also if I hadn't been the D1 lynch I think I would've gone for UoS as the N1 NK - this kind of setup is really his bag.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.423 seconds with 20 queries.