Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The Donald X. Variety Mechanic  (Read 10203 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
The Donald X. Variety Mechanic
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:48:28 pm »
+6

First there was Dominion. People thought, "Wow, a game where you build the deck during the game itself! What a great idea! Let's make one of those." And so the genre of deckbuilding was created and we now have them coming out of our ears. To my knowledge, none of them has enjoyed nearly the success of Dominion.

There are a lot of reasons that Dominion stays on top, but I believe the single biggest thing Dominion has that many of the other deckbuilders lack has nothing to do with the deckbuilding portion of the game. For the purposes of this post, I'm calling it the Donald X. Variety Mechanic (DXVM).

The DXVM basically means that before each game starts, you randomly (or perhaps non-randomly) pick a subset of components to use in that game. In Dominion, that component is the Kingdom cards. In Kingdom Builder, it's both the boards and the Kingdom Builder cards (the Victory conditions). In Gauntlet of Fools, it's the Class and Weapon cards that comprise the Heroes. In Nefarious (though I haven't yet played it), it's the Twists.

I'm nearly certain Donald X. did not invent this mechanic. If nothing else, Cosmic Encounter has randomly-determined variable player powers, which is like the DXVM, but I'd argue different due to its asymmetry. BGG has Gauntlet of Fools listed as having "Variable Player Powers", but since drafting those powers is the first half of the game, I think that's misleading.

I want to differentiate this mechanic from other similar mechanics that randomize the starting game state, but don't actually leave out any components. For instance, Settlers of Catan and Kingdom Builder both have "Modular Boards", but Settlers always uses all of the board pieces in each game, whereas Kingdom Builder uses a subset. Likewise Gauntlet of Fools and SmallWorld both have "Variable Player Powers" (according to BGG), but SmallWorld puts all of them in a hidden, random stack each game, whereas in Gauntlet you only use one (or two) of them per player. Also, you know before a DXVM game starts exactly which components were chosen for that game. There is no face-down stack of hidden components that you discover as the game progresses (with very few exceptions). Conversely, you also know which components won't be in the game and can play accordingly.

ANYWAY, sorry for rambling on. What I hope to accomplish by starting this thread is to have people suggest an actual name for this mechanic, since I haven't been able to come up with one and Donald X. Variety Mechanic clearly isn't going to fly as a name. I want a good name because I've come to realize that this mechanic is the biggest determinant of whether or not I love a tabletop game, but BoardGameGeek does not yet recognize it as a distinct mechanic. If you believe their listings, Dominion, Kingdom Builder, and Guantlet of Fools have zero mechanics in common.

Dominion: Card Drafting, Deck/Pool Building, Hand Management
Kingdom Builder: Area Control/Area Influence, Area Enclosure, Grid Movement, Modular Board, Route/Network Building
Gauntlet of Fools: Auction/Bidding, Dice Rolling, Player Elimination, Variable Player Powers

Anybody have any good ideas for names? I'm all ears.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:49:41 pm by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: The Donald X. Variety Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:56:44 pm »
+1

That might be an interesting Settlers variant -- have some extra tiles such that it's not the same proportion of resources in every game.  I guess the randomization of chits already does that to an extent, but I really wonder how weird the game would play if, for example, there was only a single Wood hex.  Or not even a single Wheat hex?  I imagine in such cases that ports would become much more valuable.

As far as naming goes, I suggest something along the lines of "Variable Setup".  This category would be nearly a superset of "Modular Board" and "Variable Player Powers".  But not entirely.  Saying "setup" is meant to convey that the variables are set and known at the start of the game, rather than having unknown elements to discover during play.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 06:30:51 pm »

That might be an interesting Settlers variant -- have some extra tiles such that it's not the same proportion of resources in every game.  I guess the randomization of chits already does that to an extent, but I really wonder how weird the game would play if, for example, there was only a single Wood hex.  Or not even a single Wheat hex?  I imagine in such cases that ports would become much more valuable.

I've played on boards where everybody can only start where there's only wood (there's more outside other than wood, but you can only start in the wood), with a bunch of 2:1 wood trades.  It's pretty interesting.

On topic, I have no idea for a name...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:05:18 pm »
+1

variable component inclusion/exclusion?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 07:07:41 pm »

I've definitely had boards where there's only one reasonable hex for a given resource - like, the distribution of Ore is '2, 12, something' or the wood is 2, 3, 10, 6 but the 10 is way out on the edge, on the desert, next to a 12 or something and so nobody gets it.

I don't know whether having *more* of those sorts of games would make settlers better; I don't think so.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:33:06 pm »
+1

This is one reason Boggle is my favourite word game.

Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm has a "goals" mechanic which are chosen randomly at the start and are public knowledge.

An interesting aspect of Dominion's use of this mechanic is that most components are left out of each game. In Dominion, that's true even when playing with only the base set. With the number of cards in the base set, you need to play at least 3 times or so to even see every card in the base game, never mind master them. That's pretty good value for 1 box.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:25:40 am »
+1

There's a bit of a difference between Dominion and the Settlers variant because in Dominion, the base components always exist in the form of basic Treasures.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 01:48:18 am »
+1

There's a bit of a difference between Dominion and the Settlers variant because in Dominion, the base components always exist in the form of basic Treasures.

And since buying only treasures is often the best strategy, it's not all that different.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 02:38:10 am »
+1

I agree with something along the lines of "variable setup" as the best option, but I'd like to come at it from a different angle and suggest "expansion included". If you consider the fewest components needed to play a game as the "base" (or "core" set, then all of these DXVM games come with additional components that aren't part of that base set. They come with expansion components which can be used to mix the game up, create more variety between games, and increase replayability. Obviously, some of these games have further, non-included, expansions to create further variety and replayability and that's why these games don't get old. They're different enough every time for a very long time.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:10:48 am »

I agree with something along the lines of "variable setup" as the best option, but I'd like to come at it from a different angle and suggest "expansion included". If you consider the fewest components needed to play a game as the "base" (or "core" set, then all of these DXVM games come with additional components that aren't part of that base set. They come with expansion components which can be used to mix the game up, create more variety between games, and increase replayability. Obviously, some of these games have further, non-included, expansions to create further variety and replayability and that's why these games don't get old. They're different enough every time for a very long time.

Expansions aren't quite the same.  Even if a game has 3 expansions and you can choose to use each or not independently, you only get 8 different experiences.  An essential part of the DXVM is that there are a large number of genuinely different set-ups, ideally so many that the only sensible way to choose between them is to do it randomly.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 04:21:39 am »

Expansions aren't quite the same.  Even if a game has 3 expansions and you can choose to use each or not independently, you only get 8 different experiences.  An essential part of the DXVM is that there are a large number of genuinely different set-ups, ideally so many that the only sensible way to choose between them is to do it randomly.

You doing that tiny bit of math made me wonder what the exact number of combinations of dominion cards is.  It's 104881297907455223616000.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 04:38:02 am »
+3

Oh, sudgy, you don't know what you've started.  Last time someone asked that question we got a whole thread out of it, and we didn't have as many sets back then.  Sample question: have you accounted for the extra games where Young Witch is in the Black Market?

Quote from: qmech
How many cards in Dominion?

Quote from: WolframAlpha
Enough.

Sacrilege.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 10:08:53 am »

You can do this with Settlers if you have expansions. Because you have more tiles, you can then do a regular 3-4 player game randomized from a larger set of tiles.

Even in the base game you don't use all of the ports available (if you use the port tokens) -- but it's not really that much variety.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 10:37:39 am »
+1

I don't think variable setup is sufficient.

As mentioned, Settlers could also be included just by rearranging the numbers and I don't think that's what's intended.
What is "setup" anyway? Does it incorporate dealing out player powers? If so, Cosmic Encounter also qualifies.

I like random component subset or something along those lines. You always play with a strict subset of everything that's in the box, even though you can choose what components to pick. I included "random" or we'd end up with Lotr TCG and the likes, heck, even Magic.

Would Small World count? I don't think so because you generally shuffle up every race and power even if you don't end up using them in the game. Games where you leave stuff in the box because you don't have enough players or have some promos also don't count.

Can we find another game? 7 Wonders is a decent candidate, not because of the wonders, but because you randomly pick some Guilds. I believe even with 7 (or 8 ) players some Guilds don't get picked. Then again if we include every game which leaves a few stuff out, it might be too broad.

Agricola then? There are a gazillion cards, only some of which get picked. I think it fits. Better than 7 Wonders at least.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 11:02:00 am »
+1

I think a key difference between Dominion and the likes of Agricola, Small World and 7 Wonders is the known component subset. In Agricola, you know what you have, but you don't know what your opponents have - unless you limit the small improvements/occupations you're using somehow, they could have any combination of them, and you don't know which. Similar in 7 Wonders - only 5-9 guilds are used, but you don't know which ones they are.

On top of that I think the impact of the random component subset is a key feature. Of course this is very hard to quantify, but I think it's important nevertheless. Dominion and (as best I can tell) Kingdom Builder are influenced massively by the set of components you use. Two different setups often require a radically different approach, and the different setups make certain strategies vary in power hugely. By comparison, even if you knew which guilds were in a game of 7 wonders, it would likely not influence your strategy very much - you might make a few different plays knowing what is (and isn't) coming, but mostly I think you'd play the same way. Agricola's harder to say because knowing the component setup also means (I think?) perfect information on your opponent's hand in 2 player, and a good idea of it in 3+.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 11:09:17 am »

So what game, not designed by DXV and not a ripoff, has a known random component subset?  ???

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 11:17:17 am »

So what game, not designed by DXV and not a ripoff, has a known random component subset?  ???

I'm thinking, but I'm not coming up with anything. Which games are "ripoffs" is up for debate, but if you mean games that aren't post-Dominion deckbuilders, I've got nothing.

Then again, I haven't played a huge selection of board and card games.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 11:27:32 am »
+1

I think this is the reason it feels like such a unique mechanic. Off the top of my head, it's an option for the expansions in Through the Ages, but I don't even know if that's official or a fan mechanic.

Edit: And if you aren't familiar with those games, I'd say, it's nowhere near as big an impact as in Dominion, but it has much more impact than guilds would in 7 Wonders.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 11:31:12 am »
+1

Browsing the top games on BGG the first I think is noteworthy (that I actually know) is Suburbia.

Here's a quote:
During each game, players compete for several unique goals that offer an additional population boost – and the buildings available in each game vary, so you'll never play the same game twice!

Of course this is post-Dominion, but as it's a tile layer and not a deckbuilder I don't think it's a straight ripoff.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 11:34:55 am »
+1

Wiz War can have a random starting setup. Or you can pick your schools of magic. It's not too unlike Dominion in that regard—just on a smaller scale. You always play with Cantrips, and you play with three (I believe) additional schools of magic.

In fact, I picked up Wiz War because of Dominion. I read somewhere (I think from DXV) how Dominion's randomness is a definite nod toward Cosmic Encounter and Wiz War.

As for the name, I'd probably go with something like Modular Setup.  You remove certain bits. In Wiz War, you remove the other handful of decks of cards. In Dominion, you remove the other nearly 200 decks of cards. If you treat each deck as a module, then that kind of fits.
A man has no signature

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 11:36:15 am »

Terra Mystica.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 11:42:55 am »

Even in the base game you don't use all of the ports available (if you use the port tokens) -- but it's not really that much variety.

What version of Settlers are you playing?  There are nine ports (1 each of each resource, 4 of 3:1) and nine places for them.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 11:47:07 am »

Haven't randomized goals been around for a while? I'm sure there are many that use that mechanic. Suburbia has been mentioned. There is also Palaces of Carrara. Among the Stars has objective cards too. I'm sure there are more.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 11:52:58 am »

What version of Settlers are you playing?  There are nine ports (1 each of each resource, 4 of 3:1) and nine places for them.

In the last year I got a recent copy of the original and had a couple extra 3:1 tokens. Maybe I just got some extras?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:20 am »

Browsing the top games on BGG the first I think is noteworthy (that I actually know) is Suburbia.

Here's a quote:
During each game, players compete for several unique goals that offer an additional population boost – and the buildings available in each game vary, so you'll never play the same game twice!

Of course this is post-Dominion, but as it's a tile layer and not a deckbuilder I don't think it's a straight ripoff.

Oh, yeah, I've played Suburbia a few times. I don't really know if I'd count it as the same thing. You can get a decent number of points from goals, but you can also win quite comfortably while losing every goal. There's also variable tiles in each stack, but it's unknown what's there. The game itself is nothing like Dominion, more like Carcasonne with a personal layout each (but more fun).

Terra Mystica.

TM I could definitely agree with. The bonus tiles and scoring tiles do often influence your strategy considerably. It also makes me think there's something else DXV variety really needs, which is quantity. Dominion (base) alone has over 3 million possible games, and including all expansions bumps that up to well over 10^16. TM has... a variable amount depending on player count, but for 4 player (what I see most recommended) it's... less than 700,000 (would be 8!/2*9C7, except the 8!/2 is an overestimate of different scoring tile layouts - not to mention a good number are extremely similar e.g. permuting the dwelling > 2VP tiles makes little difference). And when you consider than Domion base kind of feels a bit samey before not too long... yeah.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.112 seconds with 20 queries.