Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93]  All

Author Topic: RMM10: LOTR2, Revenge of the Orcs! (Game Over - Hobbits+Smeagol win!)  (Read 187531 times)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: RMM10: LOTR2, Revenge of the Orcs! (Game Over - Hobbits+Smeagol win!)
« Reply #2300 on: September 04, 2013, 10:55:05 am »

I'm surprised mail-mi didn't come clean and threaten Jimm either. He could have at the very least made it into a game of chicken, where unless Jimmm agreed to shoot town, he was shooting Jimmm regardless N4. Even if Jimmm ends up shooting mail-mi anyways, he loses either way, and he has a small chance at a win by scaring Jimmm into shooting town.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: September 04, 2013, 10:56:25 am »

I still think (and I pointed this out in the mod QT), that if you want a real tip on scum hunting, this game had a great one:

People who are uninterested in hunting scum, are usually scum themselves.

Obviously it doesn't work exactly the same for every game, but there's a kernel of truth behind it always. In this game Voltgloss, Mail-Mi and Shraeye really jumped at the idea of there being a third faction. They pushed it really, really hard D2. The only town member to really push with them was Archetype. Yuma pointed out multiple times that the town should be hunting known scum (Orcs) and not unknown third party. But why should Orcs hunt Orcs?

In any other normal game the same kernel of truth is there. Scum can't really scumhunt. Find those who aren't interested in finding scum, and you've likely caught scum yourself.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: September 04, 2013, 10:57:47 am »

I'm surprised mail-mi didn't come clean and threaten Jimm either. He could have at the very least made it into a game of chicken, where unless Jimmm agreed to shoot town, he was shooting Jimmm regardless N4. Even if Jimmm ends up shooting mail-mi anyways, he loses either way, and he has a small chance at a win by scaring Jimmm into shooting town.

Yes, I was definitely expecting something from him. What he should have done (in hindsight of course) was hammer Volt early in the Day when I was offering my NK to whoever hammered. I can't remember what I would have done, but it probably the time at which I was most likely to NK someone other than him.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:10 am »

I still think (and I pointed this out in the mod QT), that if you want a real tip on scum hunting, this game had a great one:

Obviously it doesn't work exactly the same for every game, but there's a kernel of truth behind it always. In this game Voltgloss, Mail-Mi and Shraeye really jumped at the idea of there being a third faction. They pushed it really, really hard D2. The only town member to really push with them was Archetype. Yuma pointed out multiple times that the town should be hunting known scum (Orcs) and not unknown third party. But why should Orcs hunt Orcs?

In any other normal game the same kernel of truth is there. Scum can't really scumhunt. Find those who aren't interested in finding scum, and you've likely caught scum yourself.

Here's the funny thing:  I legitimately believed, at the time I was pushing that argument, that yuma and/or chairs had to be third-party scum.  Because I had already concluded Arch was a Weak something, and thus an investigator, and when chairs ALSO claimed to be investigator I thought "nah the town wouldn't have TWO cop equivalents."  Arc

I was wrong, of course.  It had five!  :D

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: September 04, 2013, 11:43:51 am »

Here's the funny thing:  I legitimately believed, at the time I was pushing that argument, that yuma and/or chairs had to be third-party scum.  Because I had already concluded Arch was a Weak something, and thus an investigator, and when chairs ALSO claimed to be investigator I thought "nah the town wouldn't have TWO cop equivalents."  Arc

I was wrong, of course.  It had five!  :D

Oh, I don't doubt it! In this case, you weren't just chasing shadows for no reason. In a RMM game, it was certainly possible - and from your perspective of scum, even moreso! However, the point that "If a third party exists, it's in scum's best interest to take them out ASAP - and if they don't, scum don't care about being wrong" still stands. For you three, not needing/wanting to hunt Orcs, shooting for a third party is almost logical. I just think there's a connection to be made from town's perspective on that. The reality was that you three COULD focus on third-party hunting because you were scum. Town doesn't have that luxury. They can't really speculate and hunt a mythical third party while they KNOW that Orcs are out there to get them. Orcs on the other hand can. And you three (plus Archetype), fit that mold perfectly.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: September 04, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »

They can't really speculate and hunt a mythical third party while they KNOW that Orcs are out there to get them. Orcs on the other hand can. And you three (plus Archetype), fit that mold perfectly.

To be fair, we did plenty of this, and probably to town's detriment.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: September 04, 2013, 12:03:27 pm »

By challenging right off the bat you also earned yourself a lot of towncred b/c you explicitly said you were trying to prevent the Ring from being stolen.  What if you had challenged mail-mi?  Then you might even have been given the ring.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: September 04, 2013, 12:08:19 pm »

They can't really speculate and hunt a mythical third party while they KNOW that Orcs are out there to get them. Orcs on the other hand can. And you three (plus Archetype), fit that mold perfectly.

To be fair, we did plenty of this, and probably to town's detriment.

I didn't feel that way watching it. Archetype did, and certainly Voltgloss/Shraeye/Mail-Mi did. But for the most part the rest of town was really hesitant about walking that road, and took any consideration of it with a large dose of skepticism.

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: September 04, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »

By challenging right off the bat you also earned yourself a lot of towncred b/c you explicitly said you were trying to prevent the Ring from being stolen.  What if you had challenged mail-mi?  Then you might even have been given the ring.

In my head, I was thinking "if one of us scum gets lynched and the game doesn't end, then Jimmmm will surely kill the other of us in the night, because TA and chairs are IC's."  So I didn't think bussing was an option.  And I didn't think TA and chairs were options either because of their IC status.  That left only Jimmmmm, which is why I challenged.

What I should have done was realized that there was an opportunity to argue chairs was scum, based on shraeye flipping Rolestopper.  I could argue that shraeye Rolestopped chairs Night 1 and therefore Eevee's "result" was a false positive.  Unfortunately, the same could have been turned around on me regarding Arch's "result," but I could have at least argued it.

Although, on the flip side, there is the fact that chairs' role was confirmable (and confirmed!) to be a role that gave benefit to Town players.  By which I mean, his recharging yuma Night 1, which yuma (confirmed Town by his death) separately confirmed.  yuma properly argued Day 2 that it made no sense for chairs to be a scum player with a role that hands out shots to town.  Though... I guess I could have argued it had a delayed death effect, given our killing yuma Night 2...?

Basically:  I was in a hurry thinking about Day 4, I thought through some of the possibilities but not ALL of them, and I therefore made a strategic error.  I'm OK with chalking this game up to be a learning experience.  :)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: September 04, 2013, 01:45:55 pm »

Ash, I think all of my favorite games have been yours.  Great job.

And, THANK YOU JIMMMMM.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: September 04, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »

In my head, I was thinking "if one of us scum gets lynched and the game doesn't end, then Jimmmm will surely kill the other of us in the night, because TA and chairs are IC's."  So I didn't think bussing was an option.  And I didn't think TA and chairs were options either because of their IC status.  That left only Jimmmmm, which is why I challenged.

What I should have done was realized that there was an opportunity to argue chairs was scum, based on shraeye flipping Rolestopper.  I could argue that shraeye Rolestopped chairs Night 1 and therefore Eevee's "result" was a false positive.  Unfortunately, the same could have been turned around on me regarding Arch's "result," but I could have at least argued it.

Although, on the flip side, there is the fact that chairs' role was confirmable (and confirmed!) to be a role that gave benefit to Town players.  By which I mean, his recharging yuma Night 1, which yuma (confirmed Town by his death) separately confirmed.  yuma properly argued Day 2 that it made no sense for chairs to be a scum player with a role that hands out shots to town.  Though... I guess I could have argued it had a delayed death effect, given our killing yuma Night 2...?

Basically:  I was in a hurry thinking about Day 4, I thought through some of the possibilities but not ALL of them, and I therefore made a strategic error.  I'm OK with chalking this game up to be a learning experience.  :)

I think basically both sides just bumbled through quite a bit - but isn't that part of the fun of RMM games?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: September 04, 2013, 08:01:18 pm »

Ash is just such an awesome mod. Thanks man!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: September 04, 2013, 10:05:37 pm »

Ash, I think all of my favorite games have been yours.  Great job.

And, THANK YOU JIMMMMM.

You're welcome. :)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: September 04, 2013, 11:17:09 pm »

Jimmmmm should get MVP just so that he will have been MVP in both LotR games.  ;)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: September 05, 2013, 12:39:26 am »

Jimmmmm should get MVP just so that he will have been MVP in both LotR games.  ;)

I'll take it!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.