Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: The thread where the current topic always gets derailed  (Read 32243 times)

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
Re: The Vanillage.
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 11:22:17 am »
+1

Vanilla : let's go !

Thank you anyway, you Dominion fans, because now, everytime I think of creating a character for an RPG, I say (s)he is born/ has grown up in a village called "Vanilla".
I also know Vanilla is the fan-name of the first game of World of Warcraft and...

oh yeah, I used to talk about video games in my posts, and a bit of Mario Kart (too lazy to look for those posts but I remember a really bad card ideas about varying of knights). There were also 2 tracks called Vanilla lake in the first episode, I will never forget those ones : the first where you've to dodge everything, and the second which has a true lake and you can try to surf on it to grab some time.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 01:55:02 pm »
+6

oh yeah, I used to talk about video games in my posts, and a bit of Mario Kart (too lazy to look for those posts but I remember a really bad card ideas about varying of knights). There were also 2 tracks called Vanilla lake in the first episode, I will never forget those ones : the first where you've to dodge everything, and the second which has a true lake and you can try to surf on it to grab some time.

When it started with "I used to" then talk about video games, I was waiting the whole time for "until I took an arrow to the knee"...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 05:23:57 pm »
+2

Splitter: Gives at least +2 Actions

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 05:50:06 pm »

Plenty of gaming communities use "Vanilla" to refer to an unmodified version of a game.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ver.2012 (haha the name is long, we know) is the tournament standard, and people refer to regular old Street Fighter IV as "vanilla SFIV." The Super Smash Bros. Brawl modding community refers to the unmodded game as "vBrawl", which is short for "vanilla Brawl".

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 06:32:08 pm »

Plenty of gaming communities use "Vanilla" to refer to an unmodified version of a game.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ver.2012 (haha the name is long, we know) is the tournament standard, and people refer to regular old Street Fighter IV as "vanilla SFIV." The Super Smash Bros. Brawl modding community refers to the unmodded game as "vBrawl", which is short for "vanilla Brawl".

Minecraft as well, as an example (I play minecraft a lot, so that's why I've heard of it before).  And me and my friends have joked around that something that somehow has all mods installed is "chocolate".
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 08:01:38 pm »

On the xkcd forums (or fora, if you prefer that URL), mafia games are sometimes referred to as having a "vanilla" setup if it's a basic town vs mafia with, at most, some standard roles like cop and doctor and no funny rules. If it's a bit more complicated than vanilla but still probably newbie-friendly, it might be called "chocolate".

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2013, 09:27:47 pm »
+1

I'm a big fan of vanilla ice cream because you can do so many things with it. Such as...

Wine Gum Sauce (about two servings)

1. Pour about a cup of mirin (I suspect any sweet cooking will work in it's place) into a pan and cook it on medium low heat until it starts to bubble.
2. Add about 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir that around until it melts.
3. Cook it like that, stirring it occasionally, until you can push the stuff aside with a spoon or spatula and it doesn't start re-covering the bare spot. This takes about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Let it cool a few minutes and pour it over vanilla ice cream. It should turn into a yellowish, chewy shell.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2013, 11:31:01 pm »

Minecraft as well, as an example (I play minecraft a lot, so that's why I've heard of it before).  And me and my friends have joked around that something that somehow has all mods installed is "chocolate".
The term Vanilla is also used among the Doom community to refer to the original Doom executables and things that can run on the original engine. There's also a source port called Chocolate Doom.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2013, 11:45:20 pm »

The term Vanilla is also used among the Doom community to refer to the original Doom executables and things that can run on the original engine. There's also a source port called Chocolate Doom.
I've played Chocolate Doom before, and it's good. The trouble with many source ports is that they'll use OpenGL and make the graphics all blurry. Fuzzing the edges of pixel art is really gross. Chocolate Doom keeps the crisp edges of the original, while allowing higher resolutions, which is good since 320x200 is a bit limited. :)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 02:48:44 am »
+6

When I was young, I thought vanilla literally just meant "normal" or "not flavoured". Then one day I discovered that it was actually a flavour in its own right. Then one other I discovered that despite it being a flavour in its own right, people used it to mean "normal" or "not flavoured". True story.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2013, 07:37:58 am »
+3

When I was young, I thought vanilla literally just meant "normal" or "not flavoured". Then one day I discovered that it was actually a flavour in its own right. Then one other I discovered that despite it being a flavour in its own right, people used it to mean "normal" or "not flavoured". True story.

When I was young, I thought that "original" meant normal, plain, or ordinary based on its usage as a flavor in marketing.  It led to confusion later in life when I heard people speak of "original ideas" or "original thinkers".
Well you *do* need a signature...

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2013, 09:54:05 am »

When I was young, I thought that "original" meant normal, plain, or ordinary based on its usage as a flavor in marketing.  It led to confusion later in life when I heard people speak of "original ideas" or "original thinkers".
Man, I'll never forget when I had the "in" and "de" prefixes messed up. It made a character in a book I was reading very confusing. "You want to increase the value of your land by putting a fence around it??? Are you insane?"

this book sounds realllllllllllllllllllllly boring I now realize

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:51 pm »

Man, I'll never forget when I had the "in" and "de" prefixes messed up. It made a character in a book I was reading very confusing. "You want to increase the value of your land by putting a fence around it??? Are you insane?"

Does "in-" in "increase" count as a prefix?  I can't think of any other words right now where "in-" is positive.  Often "in-" is negative, meaning "not": insensitive, insecure.  Slightly different, "in-" sometimes means something like "beyond": invaluable, incredible.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2013, 12:50:09 pm »
+3

Does "in-" in "increase" count as a prefix?  I can't think of any other words right now where "in-" is positive.  Often "in-" is negative, meaning "not": insensitive, insecure.  Slightly different, "in-" sometimes means something like "beyond": invaluable, incredible.
Inflammable.

Insert obligatory Simpsons quote here.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2013, 12:55:54 pm »

"invaluable" is more reflective of how "valuable" has changed rather than "in-".  After all, valuable did not originally mean "of great value", but rather "capable of being valued".  So in that sense "invaluable" makes perfect sense.  (Similar logic holds for "incredible".)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »
+2

Inflammable.

"In-" being a positive prefix?  That's unpossible!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2013, 01:07:14 pm »
+3

The other meaning of the prefix is in the sense of in, into towards, within.  E.g., inscribed, insight, intake, inbound, infighting.

Edit: And while we're at it, "inflammable" is in this category, as it means "able to be ignited into flames" (or into anger, using the emotional meaning of inflamed).  Though we tend to think of "inflammable" as flammable and "nonflammable" as inflammable. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:13:10 pm by Witherweaver »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »

Inflammable.

Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2013, 02:43:47 am »

"In-" comes to us from Latin, where it already had both of these meanings.  So that's something else the Romans did for us.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2013, 02:52:45 am »
+2

According to the Internet:

There are two main forms of the prefix "in-" in English.

in- (1)

prefix meaning "not, opposite of, without" (also im-, il-, ir- by assimilation of -n- with following consonant), from Latin in- "not," cognate with Greek an-, Old English un-, from PIE *ne "not" (see un- (1)).

in- (2)

element meaning "into, in, on, upon" (also im-, il-, ir- by assimilation of -n- with following consonant), from Latin in- "in" (see in). In Old French this often became en-, which usually was respelled in English to conform with Latin, but not always, which accounts for pairs like enquire/inquire. There was a native form, which in West Saxon usually appeared as on- (cf. Old English onliehtan "to enlighten"), and some verbs survived into Middle English (cf. inwrite "to inscribe"), but all now seem to be extinct. Not related to in- (1) "not," which also was a common prefix in Latin: to the Romans impressus could mean "pressed" or "unpressed."

The use of "in-" in "increase" corresponds with the second definition.

increase (v.)

early 14c., "become greater in size or number; to cause to grow, enlarge," from Anglo-French encress-, Old French encreiss-, present participle stem of encreistre, from Latin increscere "to increase, to grow upon, grow over, swell, grow into," from in- "in" (see in- (2)) + crescere "to grow" (see crescent). Latin spelling restored 15c. Related: Increased; increasing.

In case you wanted to see the entry about the word "in", to which the second definition is related, here it is:

in

Old English in (prep.) "in, into, upon, on, at, among; about, during;" inne (adv.) "within, inside," from Proto-Germanic *in (cf. Old Frisian, Dutch, German, Gothic in, Old Norse i), from PIE *en "in" (cf. Greek en, Latin in "in, into," Old Irish in, Welsh yn-, Old Church Slavonic on-). As an adjective from 1590s.

The forms merged in Middle English. Modern sense distinction between in and on is from later Middle English. Sense of "holding power" (the in party) first recorded c.1600; that of "exclusive" (the in-crowd, an in-joke) is from 1907 (in-group); that of "stylish, fashionable" (the in thing) is from 1960. The noun sense of "influence, access" (have an in with) first recorded 1929 in American English. In-and-out "copulation" is attested from 1610s.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2013, 03:34:24 am »

So that's something else the Romans did for us.

Did you know the Romans invented apple bobbing?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: The thread where the current topic always gets derailed
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2013, 04:42:52 am »
+7

"In-" comes to us from Latin, where it already had both of these meanings.  So that's something else the Romans did for us.

Hey, there's also this:

Not to be confused with Arial.

(Also why the hell am I awake at 04:30?  I don't know.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:51 am »

According to the Internet:

<whatever goes here is true>

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2013, 11:25:18 am »

I'm not sure I've ever met someone whose favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla.

[...]

I think cheese pizza does all of things I described in my previous post better than vanilla ice cream does.

Favorite flavor of ice cream: Vanilla

Favorite flavor of pizza: cheese only.

I can't stand it when people ruin my pizza with toppings.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2013, 11:42:36 am »
+1

I'm not sure I've ever met someone whose favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla.

[...]

I think cheese pizza does all of things I described in my previous post better than vanilla ice cream does.

Favorite flavor of ice cream: Vanilla

Favorite flavor of pizza: cheese only.

I can't stand it when people ruin my pizza with toppings.

What about having vanilla as your pizza topping?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 2.445 seconds with 21 queries.