Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A really bad variant idea  (Read 9180 times)

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
Re: A really bad variant idea
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 12:50:47 pm »

In French, Border Village => "village frontalier" become very good. (note : it's the first alphabetical card in Hinterlands in English and the last one in French)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »

In French, Border Village => "village frontalier" become very good. (note : it's the first alphabetical card in Hinterlands in English and the last one in French)

How is that good?  It is so prohibitively expensive.  I suppose you reach it by acquiring a cheap Expanding Silver that you acquired from a cheap Silver gainer like Explorer, Bureaucrat, or Beggar.
Well you *do* need a signature...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »

BoM and border village... are not good cards anymore :(

I'm not so sure about that... Border Village is now a $1 Village for starters, and it might just come with a free Apothecary, Alchemist, Apprentice, Ambassador, Armory, etc. Depending on the board, BoM might still have several good options, and it only costs $2 anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 04:24:57 pm »

What if instead, everything cost STRLEN(name)?

Gold becomes one of the cheapest cards. Province jumps to 9, but Colony is only 6.

Golem + Wharf would be pretty dominant.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 04:29:41 pm »

What if instead, everything cost STRLEN(name)?

Gold becomes one of the cheapest cards. Province jumps to 9, but Colony is only 6.

Golem + Wharf would be pretty dominant.

Jack of All Trades becomes terrible. Young Witch gets screwed again. Band of Misfits can be played as anything except Jack, Merchant's Guild, and Candlestick Maker I believe.

In both of these Variants, Potion becomes a terrible card...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:34:07 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »
+2

I just played a game with this variant.  I slightly(ish) weighted the cards to be cheaper.  The kingdom was Oracle, King's Court, Hoard, Feodum, Embassy, Caravan, Cultist, City, Cellar, Alchemist.  He went for Cities (with a few Alchemists) then Duchies, while I got a Cultist, a bunch of Cities, some Golds, then a couple King's Courts (I also got an Alchemist).  I actually managed to get a couple Provinces, and two Duchies, while he got the other six Duchies.  So we tied.  Yay.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 06:00:50 pm »
+2

I find it amusing that you can still Swindle and Salvage Peddlers into Provinces the same way you always have.

You could use Mine (maybe you Forged one from two starting estates and a copper) to convert Copper into Silver, but to do this you have to have Fool's Gold, Ill-Gotten-Gains, Loan, Masterpiece, and Philosopher's Stone or Platinum in the kingdom.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 06:28:36 pm »

I find it amusing that you can still Swindle and Salvage Peddlers into Provinces the same way you always have.

You could use Mine (maybe you Forged one from two starting estates and a copper) to convert Copper into Silver, but to do this you have to have Fool's Gold, Ill-Gotten-Gains, Loan, Masterpiece, and Philosopher's Stone or Platinum in the kingdom.

Or play a bunch of Bridges

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 06:33:04 pm »

A BUNCH of Bridges.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 06:53:05 pm »

Yeah you need at least three before they do anything for you. The fourth one let's you Mine Copper->Gold so you can jump over Fool's Gold if it's not available. If you're missing any other part of the chain though the Bridges basically don't help because what you're trying to do is get cards costing $12 or more down to $3 since Bridges don't close gaps between cards until you've brought one down to $0.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 07:30:06 pm »

Yeah you need at least three before they do anything for you. The fourth one let's you Mine Copper->Gold so you can jump over Fool's Gold if it's not available. If you're missing any other part of the chain though the Bridges basically don't help because what you're trying to do is get cards costing $12 or more down to $3 since Bridges don't close gaps between cards until you've brought one down to $0.
I think he meant throne/KC/procession bridges (which is why he didn't mention highway).  You could go straight from Copper to Silver if just Throne Room and Bridge are on to board (and presumably some means of card drawing).

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:02 pm »

Shelters make for a much better start than Estates if any TfB is in.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 12:29:14 am »

Salvager and Stonemason may actually be worth $19 on boards with a Silver gainer.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 01:56:49 am »
+1

How is that good?  It is so prohibitively expensive.  I suppose you reach it by acquiring a cheap Expanding Silver that you acquired from a cheap Silver gainer like Explorer, Bureaucrat, or Beggar.

If it's French, I think Silver starts with an "a"...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.565 seconds with 21 queries.