Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 5/2 opening on a Chapel+Witch board: better go for Workshop/Gardens  (Read 2099 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130726/log.510d7890e4b0ac7a7a0be611.1374856630064.txt

I realized (a little bit too late - had already bought a Chapel which ended up being a $2 Confusion) that Stonemason allows for a double Workshop even if you have a 5/2 and is actually quite decent for a Gardens deck itself. So I tried it out and won. Do you think this was actually a good idea or did I just get lucky? It's also worth noting that I didn't play this optimally, I had a couple of buys/gains that I spent way too little time thinking over.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: 5/2 opening on a Chapel+Witch board: better go for Workshop/Gardens
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:28:34 pm »

I'm far from an expert at rushes, but wouldn't you want to open Council Room/Copper if you want to go for Gardens? CR is the only thing with +buy, and if you open Stone Mason/2xWorkshop you've already ruined your economy to such an extent that you're unlikely to be able to overpay for Stonemason again. With CR you have the potential to that at least a few more times over the course of the game.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »

There are quite a few ways of going about that. Butcher is a possible 5/2 opener, giving some endgame options that will be gone forever in a pure workshop rush. Thrones come into it and the three pile ending depends upon the play. Lots going on for a gardens kingdom.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »

I'm far from an expert at rushes, but wouldn't you want to open Council Room/Copper if you want to go for Gardens? CR is the only thing with +buy, and if you open Stone Mason/2xWorkshop you've already ruined your economy to such an extent that you're unlikely to be able to overpay for Stonemason again. With CR you have the potential to that at least a few more times over the course of the game.
I don't think that overpaying for Stonemason again is important if you have the Workshops, because Workshops can gain more Workshops and I think I'd just use Stonemason's overpay to get more Workshops, too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 01:52:48 pm »
+2

I don't think that overpaying for Stonemason again is important if you have the Workshops, because Workshops can gain more Workshops and I think I'd just use Stonemason's overpay to get more Workshops, too.

Yeah but Workshop + your normal buy gives you 2 cards/turn, whereas Council Room -> overpay for stonemason + additional buy gives you 4 cards, which seems preferable to me, at least early on when you don't yet want to buy Gardens.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 05:19:20 pm »

Yeah but Workshop + your normal buy gives you 2 cards/turn, whereas Council Room -> overpay for stonemason + additional buy gives you 4 cards, which seems preferable to me, at least early on when you don't yet want to buy Gardens.
That's a good point.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 05:45:13 am »

CR's nerf is not insignificant here because it can help your opponent line up Workshop/Throne Room. I prefer the double-Workshop opening, also because it gives more targets for your own Throne Rooms. And, because it's a rush, the value of your Gardens isn't so important compared to winning the split: 5x3VP Gardens beats 3x4VP Gardens. With early turns spent on Stonemason overpays, you aren't gaining Gardens on those turns, your opponent will have a lead on Gardens by then, and should be able to match your Gardens gains after that.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.474 seconds with 21 queries.